Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P2-ES Board Support - Page 7 — Parallax Forums

P2-ES Board Support

Comments

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,091
    'twas browsing the Parallax store and noticed at the bottom of the Eval Board page https://www.parallax.com/product/64000 a link in the Additional Resources list has extraneous tracking data inserted. It's the link to the Eval Board's google doc, Propeller 2 Eval Board Rev C (Google Doc)

The leading "https://www.google.com/url?q=" can be removed. Doing so also speeds up the page load time by removing the inbuilt redirect. And probably everything after "sharing" is the tracking data and can also be removed.

• Long time no Post. Good to be back though.
    My eval board arrived Yesterday. I love it.
    With that said, I am having difficulties getting my machine(Windows) to recognize the p2.
    With the USB res set, and flash selected I have managed to flash an led or two, but i then go thru countless "F7"'s before I can flash again.
    Any sugestions?
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,131
    I am not sure what the problem is. Do you have another machine you can try it on to verify that it can work elsewhere?
  • Not really, Not any that are up and running.
    I just changed my settings. The p59 at the bottom is the only one not switched on.
    All the leds except tx,rx where lit. I touched the pins p5663, the lights all but three went out and was able to detect chip.
    Loaded a program, currently working in ram but of course cant load flash.
    Flipped the p59 back off and flash loaded this time.
    Seems to be working fine now, just like earlier today, but truly thought it was dead 30 minutes ago
  • I also have the accessory kit.
    Can the control board be on the board will programming, or is it possible causing the issue by being connected to v5663.
    just noticed that i had removed it before getting my success!
    bambino69 wrote: »
    I also have the accessory kit.
    Can the control board be on the board will programming, or is it possible causing the issue by being connected to v5663.
    just noticed that i had removed it before getting my success!

It might be good to avoid plugging an accessory board into P56-P63, because it could interfere with the boot pins.

I think you should have all switches ON, except P59-low. You should only have one of the P59 switches on.
  • Have been working with no issues till just now seeing your reply.
    I flipped the p59high like suggested.
    Can load ram, but flash gets wiped but not rewritten.
    Flipping it back cured the issue.
    Could be the USB cable. Because the Eval Board takes its power from the USB cable, the cable needs to have a strong current rating. The fast charge cables for cellphones are a good choice.

• Evanh := Will consider getting two new ones today. Have no idea how old these are! But i am using two cables.

I just got up and plugged in the setup i was haveing luck with last night and my board is not recognized.
    Its still running the matrix example from git that ive repurposed, but can't connect to pc.
    I flipped the p59 high toggle and hit F10, worked.
    Flipped it back! Still working. Let it sit for a moment and now its not recognized.
  • I have changed the cables and still have weird behavior.
    With p59 on I can F7 all day, but F11 seems to erase the flash.
    I can then switch it off and F11 works, however the Prop tool says no chip found.
    This only works once. Pressing F11 again says no chip found, but doesn't flash as before.
    This seems to be true 90% of the time. Other 10% is spent flipping the switch till I get a good flash.

Just confirmed Pnut does same thing.
  • Ok, let me Back up.
    It's not erasing flash like I thought. And it's not Flashing when I turn P59 high Off.
    When P59 High is on It apparently does flash, it just wont load or run while that switch is on.
    With the switch off, pressing reset lets the program run.

Conclusion: With switch on.... Board will run from ram and will load flash(it just does't execute), and pressing reset does nothing either.
    With switch off... Reset will allow program from memory to run, but can not load memory due to no chip found. F7 same thing.
    edited 2020-09-17 16:51
    About P59:

If P59 is floating (both 'up' and 'down' switches are OFF), the P2 will try the flash chip on boot-up, but allow a 100ms window for serial comm from the host before running the program in the flash chip.

If P59 is pulled high ('up' switch is ON and 'down' switch is OFF), the P2 will ignore the flash chip and wait for serial comm from the host.

If P59 is pulled low ('up' switch is OFF and 'down' switch is ON), the P2 will only boot from the flash chip. This means boot is very fast because there's no 100ms wait for serial comm from the host.

For the flash chip to work, the 'flash' switch must be ON. That connects the pulled-up flash CS pin to to P61 on the P2 chip.
  • So the switch high is acting normal, the float position should be recognizeing the terminal?

I suppose I can work around it.
    So the switch high is acting normal, the float position should be recognizeing the terminal?

I suppose I can work around it.

Okay, to use a terminal, pull P59 high, because you will want the P2 to wait for longer than 100ms after reset for you to do something. The P59-floating case really only works with development tools that automate the download process. A human can't respond that fast.
  • https://www.dropbox.com/s/8xvj0625k5vsdts/VID_20200919_154938.mp4?dl=0
    Here is a short vid of what i have to do to program the board.
    The firmware can seem confused about boot order with an SD card inserted. It can even override the chip detection.

With SD card out and all the DIP switches off the prop2 detection should be reliable. Prove that ... then try other options.

• I've seen some issues where the SD card can affect the "second boot" - ie things will work ok from power up (or SD), but will lock up on the second boot

One easy test for this is pull out the SD card, then see if you can F7 detect it all the time
  • sd card had no effect.
    same results.
    edited 2020-09-20 00:32
    Try Pnut instead, it's far more up-to-date - https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/171196/pnut-spin2-latest-version-v34z-lots-of-debug-display-stuff/p1

Use [CTRL]-G to check hardware.

• Works just like prop ide.
    Lights lit: No chip!
    Lights out: Chips good!
    edited 2020-09-20 01:52
    That combination is solid reliable detection for me. Fingers don't matter, LEDs don't matter.

PS: And I'm using Linux - The USB comport shows up as COM36 with more recent Wine versions on Linux. This is okay for PNut, but PropTool doesn't like it. So I can't use the comport with PropTool.

• Wish i had grown up a linux child.
    I have the version of Pnut you mentioned.
    There seems to be no difference the few times i have used it.
    In fact i loaded Pnut because of the difficulties i'm having.

The last few times I've tried tonight only F10 will work. The Flash laid down on me about an hour ago.
  • evanh wrote: »
    The firmware can seem confused about boot order with an SD card inserted. It can even override the chip detection.

With SD card out and all the DIP switches off the prop2 detection should be reliable. Prove that ... then try other options.

Sorry didn't catch this earlier. Just tried it on both ide's.
    Same old same
    The last few times I've tried tonight only F10 will work. The Flash laid down on me about an hour ago.
    Ah, the test at this stage is for CTRL-G only. Downloading can come later once the hardware detection has proven reliable.

• bambino69bambino69 Posts: 126
    edited 2020-09-20 02:14
    Before my last post , I tried every combination, with proptool and Pnut with no luck.

Now it is working perfectly.(Light or no Light.)

Swear on my 8051 textbook.
  • Flash works too!
    Sometimes the USB subsystem gets out of kilter. Re-socketing the cable can do wonders. I've even had to power cycle the PC a few times.

• No dev time now. Hopefully the gremlins will stay out.
  • Got ready for bed and thought one more time.
    Gremlins!
    Cant load without dimming the lights.
    Wish i had grown up a linux child.
    I certainly never grew up with Linux. I started on BASIC like many here. It was actually some CP/M machine but I never knew that until the last week of school when the new tutor demo'd the command prompt to me. I was immediately lost. I had a second-hand ZX81 at home, then bought my own Amstrad CPC when started work, all still in BASIC. Although I was dabbling in assembly a little by then.

I moved on to an Amiga and started to get a taste for C but never really learned it until I was being paid to get a job done. Home computing took a back seat for many years.

Since the PC had long destroyed everything else in its path, the Mac still survived just, I got into using/programming QNX on the PC with dual booting to Win95/98 for games.

The online game I was playing stopped functioning with Win98 in 2006. Wine on Linux was known to work with this game still so, for the Linux move in 2006, I was more a refugee case.