Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Elev-8 Help - Page 4 — Parallax Forums

Elev-8 Help

Comments

• trangertranger Posts: 179
    edited 2014-04-20 18:43
    Thanks for the video.

Hmmmm... it almost seems like the receiver is not connected to power during the test. It is a little hard to see, but it looks like the throttle slider is at about 50%, i.e. behind the "throttle" text.

How does your receiver get powered?

In post #3, I see a close-up pic of the receiver but cannot tell how it is powered.

-Russ
  • chris joneschris jones Posts: 391
    edited 2014-04-20 18:55
    Hello Russ,

i think its powered through the ESC's so that's why i tried to hook up external power to see if i can plug it into the battery section on the recover. Also the recover has no lights so its a bit hard to see if its powered on.
    edited 2014-04-20 19:07
    The receiver isn't directly connected to the ESC's. I suppose it is possible that the Hoverfly board supplies 5V at the receiver connections.

Yeah, look like that's it:

Hoverfly-receiver.png

I'm not sure if the Hoverfly powers the receiver in diagnostics (Setup software) mode. My quad's receiver is powered from the main battery and so I would not experience the problem.

Try powering your receiver from a separate battery and see what you get. I think you even mentioned another power source in your video.

I'll have to re-join this thread tomorrow - off to bed for now...

-Russ

Edit: Looking at the Hoverfly schematic - it clearly shows that all the 5V power is coming from the ESC's. The 5V is passed on to the receiver channels. So you're right, it is the ESC(s) that are normally powering your receiver. The USB power doesn't make it to the receiver.
    958 x 184 - 19K
    edited 2014-04-23 21:22
    Hello All,

just wanted to update you all i have not been able to power the transmitter externally to test with the utility program.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-04-23 21:28
    The receiver doesn't need 5V exactly. RC receivers generally run off of four or five NiMH cells which can be anywhere from 4.8V to 6V. If you have four AA batteries and can hook them up to the receiver, it should work.

You need to make sure the receiver power supply and the HoverFly's supply share a common ground connection.
    edited 2014-04-24 18:22
    here is an updated video all

http://youtu.be/OE0Q2hB7F7M
    edited 2014-04-26 07:22
    Couldn't really see the problem watching Chris' video

I made a video of my setup for comparison - maybe somebody can see something there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2Yvge-PTzA

-Russ
    edited 2014-04-27 04:50
    Hey Russ,

i seen your hookup i think i might re install the software because our setups look a little different but not that much so maybe the software is not all working.
    edited 2014-04-27 18:22
    Hello All,

i have tried just about everything i believe that the brand of transmitters that i am buying may not be comparable with the hoverfly board. watch the video

http://youtu.be/DWCc7M1YkXg
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2014-04-28 08:46
    Chris, you wouldn't by chance have a scope would you? A scope would allow you to see the actual signals from the receiver as well as what's going out to the ESC. It's not a common tool if you're not in my field, however I thought I would ask just in case.
    edited 2014-04-28 15:49
    It may be that you don't have the best radio system, but it was good enough to arm the Hoverfly board and control the throttle before. I don't quite understand why there is an issue communicating while running the setup program, but there is. This was suggested as a way to validate your radio configuration, but unfortunately has not turned out to be useful.

I'm not trying to deter you from getting a better radio, it just seems like it is very close to working. What remains unconfirmed is if the channel directions for rudder, aileron and elevator are correct.

As mentioned before you could try to figure out the channel directions by observing how the helicopter responds to input prior to "take off". When I was testing my helicopter I tied it down to table with bungee cords. If you are feeling frisky you could give that a try. Just use caution. :smile:

Good Luck!

-Russ
    edited 2014-05-03 16:34
    Hello Chris,

i do not have a scope but i did order one last TXRX and its a spectrum 6xi and i need some help setting it up.
    edited 2014-05-03 17:37
    Hello All,

i have a problem first thing is i think my quad can fly i seen it b ut the power looked to be choppy maybe that is a recover setup issue and i can no longer disarm the quad but if turn it off it fly's and then hits the ground.
    edited 2014-05-04 06:03
    Sounds like you are beyond the flipping problem - that's progress. :smile:

No sure what you mean by choppy power. My radio (Hitech Aurora) has about 30 detents on the throttle channel. My helicopter hovers at about 50% throttle. However, within the range of one click, the heli will climb or descend. I've since adjusted the detents force to be very low.

Does the throttle seem smooth prior to lift-off? What is your gain channel (5) set to?

Here's a clip of one the first time I "flew" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFOprq4lBXg

Seems very odd that you can arm, but cannot disarm. The same channel (rudder / throttle) endpoints are used for each.

One more thing. I will echo what many others have advised and that is to get a flight simulator. It will save you some money on repairs - don't ask me how I know. :innocent: I have RealFlight7 Interlink (with its own control). Not only is it helpful in learning to fly, but it is a lot of fun.

Having spare parts is also a good thing. I bought the Crash Pack and would highly recommend it.

-Russ
    edited 2014-05-04 06:20
    Hello,

just to answer a few questions my gain is set to 25%

the throttle is not so smooth and it takes about 75% to get any kind of liftoff

i fixed the arm and disarm issue the radio needed to have the gear in the right position when arming and disarming

i also bought the crash pack because last night it took off and i broke 2 props
    edited 2014-05-04 06:50
    i have a video of how my radio is setup.

http://youtu.be/I33xthOrefk
    edited 2014-05-04 07:07
    yay i think i hovered the quad and was able to somewhat fly it an inch from the ground but i am bad at flying quads

VIDEO
    http://youtu.be/m9Miub7RLgo
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-05-04 09:36
    Wow! I'd say that's progress!

BTW, I think quadcopters are really hard to fly. I would never attempt to fly one with one hand (unless using a Wii Nunchuck with modified transmitter but that's a story for another time).

I frequently urge people learning to fly a quadcopter or helicopter to practice on a simulator. Your brain can't think fast enough to control these in some orientations without a lot of practice.

A flight simulator will almost certainly save you money in the long run (and probably in the short run too).
    edited 2014-05-04 10:30
    Hello Duane,

i think i may try to get realflight7 do you have another that may be good i think i need to try and hover it first and maybe hop around i moved to a larger space because my backyard is not big to fly a quad as a beginner
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-05-04 12:53
    Hello Duane,

i think i may try to get realflight7 do you have another that may be good i think i need to try and hover it first and maybe hop around i moved to a larger space because my backyard is not big to fly a quad as a beginner

A simple Google search would give some good results:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Flight+simulators&rlz=1C1CHFX_enUS573US573&oq=Flight+simulators&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.6629j0j4&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=122&ie=UTF-8#q=Flight+simulator+Software+quadcopter&safe=off

Here is my favorite: :)

http://www.pilotshop.com/catalog/pspages/hotseat-pp3-sim.php?gclid=CJ3M99iFk74CFUuXOgodjhYA4Q
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2014-05-05 08:41
    This video may also help you out.
  • edited 2014-05-15 09:37
    trying to figure out where i need to go to adjust trim to get all motors to fire together any help would be great!!!

It dumps to the right. I have attempted to trim it out but it's almost as though its not getting the signal.
    edited 2014-05-15 09:47
    sounds like you had the issue i had can you post a video for us and answer a few questions i know the group will ask

1. did you calibrate your ESC's
    2. did you install the software for hoverfly

there will be more but this can get us started
    edited 2014-05-15 09:48
    Also everyone can you help me i have a slight issue i think i also have a trim problem the quad does not go straight up when i give it throttle it flyers to the side any ideal how i should apply my trim.
    edited 2014-05-15 09:54
    trying to figure out where i need to go to adjust trim to get all motors to fire together any help would be great!!!

It dumps to the right. I have attempted to trim it out but it's almost as though its not getting the signal.

Have you verified this?

Rotation.jpg
    298 x 260 - 52K
  • edited 2014-05-15 09:54
    Yes i calibrated the ESC's
    Yes we installed the software for hoverfly

I will post a video shortly
  • edited 2014-05-15 09:55
    Also i should've mentioned its a HExcopter
    edited 2014-05-15 09:56
    BTW Welcome to the forums!

I am in the middle of my ELEV-8 build.

What Transmitter/Receiver are you using.
    edited 2014-05-15 10:00
    OK So you confirmed:

Rotation HEX.jpg
    170 x 193 - 33K
  • edited 2014-05-15 10:06
    I have confirmed the direction of the blades

Spektrum DX6i
    and
    AR610 Spektrum