Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Elev-8 Help — Parallax Forums

Elev-8 Help

chris joneschris jones Posts: 391
edited 2014-05-15 10:47 in Robotics
Hello,

i have spoke with a few people there at parallax and i was not able to get a lot of help they pointed me to the forum. i would like to see if anyone can help me with my quad. i have had about 4 friends look at the wires and everything looks great but it just flips i have checked and tripled checked the wires.at this point i am willing to mail my quad out or meet someone in taxes Dallas area to help me fix this i can even pay i just dont know what i am doing wrong.

Comments

• Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-04-16 18:11
    If you have the patience I bet you could get the help you need here.

There are lots of ways to make mistakes putting an ELEV-8 together.

First, you'll want to tell us more about your set up. What radio system are you using? Which ESCs do you have and which motors do you have (not all ELEV-8s have the same parts).

If you can take pictures of the way the wires are connected, someone here might spot a problem.
  • chris joneschris jones Posts: 391
    edited 2014-04-17 05:18
    here is a video as well of how it flips i have looked at all the props and all of the connections its exactly like the manual [video]https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=69AFCB780D73C2A8!25532&authkey=!AElDX9 p6kS9MemU&ithint=video%2c.mp4[/video]
    edited 2014-04-17 05:29
    motor rotation and spin check video [video]https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=69AFCB780D73C2A8!27942&authkey=!AP6S2N BWSbmBAqw&ithint=video%2c.mp4[/video]
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2014-04-17 07:23
    Hey Chris,

I believe I may have talked to Chris Savage about this particular case.

I took a quick look at the propeller orientation, and assuming the red booms are forward then the props are properly oriented. However, I couldn't see the videos so I was unable to determine of the propellers are spinning in the correct direction.

Front right: CW
    Front left: CCW
    Rear right: CCW
    Rear left: CW

While many people have looked over the wiring, this is usually where the problem lies. I've built 20 of these and still make wiring mistakes - there's so much room for error when you start plugging in the ESCs and receiver. Have you traced each one, carefully, to the OPEN board? We should start with this step, again.

Also, have you configured the OPEN board in the Hoverfly Setup Client to be an "X" style configuration?

Have you set the ESC throttle range by starting with the radio throttle all the way up?

There's a good possibility that your receiver is not wired correctly, too.

We can't be too over-confident with a quad - there's lots of room for setup error.

I'll check back with this thread.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2014-04-17 08:07
    Chris,

I receive errors when I try to watch the videos. You might want to upload the videos to YouTube.

I'm not familiar with your radio equipment. One thing that can cause problems with setting up a quadcopter is the various radio manufactures have channel behaviors which are different from one another. Do you have a normal hobby servo? If so you could use it to find out which channels on your system will need to be reversed.

Do you know if your radio has the channels configured like a Futaba radio or a Spektrum radio?
    edited 2014-04-17 08:22
    Hello Degn

i will upload the videos to you tube it may take a bit but i do have a servo laying around but not sure what we would test i am a bit new to RC but i am sure i can pickup fast. as for the RX TX i have bought 3 so far and they all yield the same results and they look the same so i think that all have the same setup.how would i see how the RXTX is setup this one did not come with software but i have the hookup to connect it to the computer.
    edited 2014-04-17 08:27
    Hello Ken,

yes i was working with Chris a bit and he sent a new board but that board still gives the same result so i think its something else so i went and bought new batteries and a new RX TX and still same result.i also labeled all of my motors so i know where they are hooks up from 1-4 and that helped with wiring but it was hooked up exactly like it was before i labeled the cables.i am in the process of uploading the video i will have it posted soon.

Also, have you configured the OPEN board in the Hoverfly Setup Client to be an "X" style configuration?
    Yes i did that 2 times and it sad updated successful
    Have you set the ESC throttle range by starting with the radio throttle all the way up?
    yes i removed the props and set each motor up with a battery back and moved the throttle to full waited for beep and back down to the lowest point and wait for 2 beeps
    There's a good possibility that your receiver is not wired correctly, too.
    that could be true i followed the chart in tee manual but maybe my receivers are special i don't know
    We can't be too over-confident with a quad - there's lots of room for setup error.
    i understand but i have dissembled this thing about 8 times i have had it since Christmas and its bothering me that i cant figure this out.
    edited 2014-04-17 08:28
    Sounds like you are spending a lot of money on radios but that may not be the problem.

Your radio has some sort of monitor showing which channel is throttle, rudder, aileron and elevator, and gear. Don't assume that they're sequentially arranged in your radio. What I do is connect the radio, identify the throttle, check the Hoverfly docs for which port CH1 goes to on their PCB. Do this for each of the four channels for control, and then gear for gain.

There's a problem and we can certainly find it.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2014-04-17 08:29
    Do you have Skype?
    edited 2014-04-17 08:35
    yes i do have Skype my ID is joneschris903
    edited 2014-04-17 08:37
    here are the updated videos posted to you tube

flippy
    http://youtu.be/jCJCVvf7INk

motor rotation
    http://youtu.be/Dit5Xexj4YM
    edited 2014-04-17 08:40
    ah also Ken my radio does not have and LCD screen its just plain jane
    edited 2014-04-17 08:41
    From looking at the "flippy" video it appears that you've got the receiver wired wrong. You are able to arm and throttle, so I think you've got two channels wired correctly. Check these two things:

- are the aileron and elevator wired to the correct Hoverfly ports?
    - is the gear set at a gain of around 25%, and enabled? You can set both endpoints of CH5 to the same amount.

Be very careful, too.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2014-04-17 08:43
    I sent you a Skype request so we could look at your Tx/Rx setup.

If your transmitter has no visual LCD or human interface, how are you able to verify the gain setting? This might be a "turn the knob and guess" kind of setup.

You might need to hook up a standard servo to the receiver to make sure you've got the correct radio output channels connected to the right Hoverfly ports.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2014-04-17 08:45
    I'm sure Ken has much more experience with this than I do so make sure and give his instructions more weight than mine.

My thought was to use the servo to identify which control stick/switch controls which channel and in which direction. Plug the servo into channel 1 and find which stick controls it. Which direction do you move the stick to make the servo turn counter clockwise? Repeat this for each channel and report which stick corresponds to which channel. Also let us know which direction you need to move the stick/switch to make the servo turn ccw.

I'm not sure if you really need to do all the above or not. You radio sure looks like this one at Hobby King. I bet the channel numbers and directions match its settings so you probably don't need to use the servo after all.
    edited 2014-04-17 08:45
    Transmitter info

www.rcgroups.com/forums/showatt.php?attachmentid=3735318‎

also Ken ?

how do i check this i think this is the silver knobs on my transmitter but i cant be sure i ahve had so many transmitters i lose track of whats what. but both of my knobs are set to about 25
    - is the gear set at a gain of around 25%, and enabled? You can set both endpoints of CH5 to the same amount.

also yes i have seen the horror stories so i have goggles and protective clothes when i was testing that on my table.
    edited 2014-04-17 08:46
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    You might need to hook up a standard servo to the receiver to make sure you've got the correct radio output channels connected to the right Hoverfly ports.

Ken,

If it's the same as the HobbyKing tx, the setup display is the PC.
    edited 2014-04-17 08:53
    I think the gear channel is channel 5.

HK-T6XV2-M1-3(2).jpg

I don't know if a bigger green bar means a longer pulse length or a shorter pulse length.

You could plug a servo into the channel and find out. Most servos will rotate further ccw with a longer pulse and cw with shorter pulses. You could use the servo to let us know if more green means a longer pulse or a shorter pulse.
    edited 2014-04-17 09:02
    so i need to hook the servo up to the throttle channel ? also where did you get that software ?

NEVERMIND found it

http://www.mycoolheli.com/t6config.html
    edited 2014-04-17 09:06
    Chris, want to echo Duane's more detailed troubleshooting suggestions and ask you to hook up a servo to properly identify each receiver channel's correlation to your radio's sticks.
    edited 2014-04-17 09:08
    so i need to hook the servo up to the throttle channel ? also where did you get that software ?

NEVERMIND found it

You might also want to check the "files" tab on the page I linked to in post #17.

I think if would be a good idea to plug the servo into the throttle channel (#2) (should be #3) and the gear channel (#5) and let us know which way the servo turns when you move the stick/knobs. Also let us know which direction the servo turns when there's more green in the display.

Edit: It's probably a good idea to check each channel with the servo. Make sure the servo moves the same direction when more green is displayed. Make sure and let us know which direction you moved each stick and knob to increase the green.
    Edit(4/17/14): I stated the throttle channel was channel #2. I think the throttle is really on channel #3.
    edited 2014-04-17 09:08

NEVERMIND found it

This software that Duane found will omit the need to use servos to identify what channel is used for each stick.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2014-04-17 09:12
    Hello All,

i hooked that t6config tool up and this is what my transmitter comes back with
    snipping of TR.PNG
    670 x 590 - 16K
    edited 2014-04-17 09:18
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    Make sure and let us know which direction you moved each stick and knob to increase the green black.

I see the graph is telling us how far from center each stick is. Let us know which direction you need to move the stick to have the black move to the right.

Use the servo in at least one channel so we know which direction it turns when there's more black to the right on the read out.
    edited 2014-04-17 09:22
    will do working on that right now i am putting a video together.
  • trangertranger Posts: 179
    edited 2014-04-17 09:35
    It looks like the radio may be
    heli.png
    plane.png
    setup for a traditional heli and not a quad. For a quad the radio should be set to ACRO or airplane mode.
    754 x 410 - 141K
    776 x 389 - 128K
    edited 2014-04-17 09:48
    tranger wrote: »
    It looks like the radio may be
    heli.png
    plane.png
    setup for a traditional heli and not a quad. For a quad the radio should be set to ACRO or airplane mode.

Yeah, good catch. This will change everything about the radio's behavior, causing signal mixing and perhaps channel remapping on the sticks.

Airplane mode will be the safest starting point.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2014-04-17 10:09
    Chris,

If you're monitoring the forum, hold off on uploading those videos.

The issue tranger brings up is a big one. You'll want to make sure and correct this issue before proceeding.
    edited 2014-04-17 10:44
    Hello All,

i did make a video of the original setup as well as the change with the software. does this require me to re sync all of the motors ?

http://youtu.be/hiYOs3PpBxQ

http://youtu.be/tFuxJyKUMuc

http://youtu.be/7jc_qffojkY