Comments

• chris joneschris jones Posts: 391
    edited 2014-04-17 10:45
    ACRO setup screenshot
    AERO setup.PNG
    672 x 587 - 40K
    edited 2014-04-17 13:58
    OK, after changing the settings in software i can no longer arm the system so any ideals on what needs to be changed.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2014-04-17 14:22
    Now you need to make sure that each channel is connected to the right port on the OPEN board. See page 43 in this document:

http://www.parallax.com/sites/default/files/downloads/80000-Hoverfly-OPEN-Users-Guide-v1.0.pdf

My suggestion is that once you know CH1 on your receiver is throttle, connect it to the "throttle" port on the OPEN board (lower left). Then, identify the three remaining channels and connect them accordingly to the right place. You will need to verify the rudder, aileron and elevator with a servo or through the software you downloaded. There is no room for error here - it only works one way, the right way.

Let us know when you've gotten through this step.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2014-04-17 15:25
    Hello Ken,

this is the setup iu am following form the manual

http://www.mycoolheli.com/t6config.html
  • trangertranger Posts: 179
    edited 2014-04-17 15:27
    Your video in airplane mode matches my radio channels with one exception, you need a channel to set the gain with. I'm using channel 5 tied to a switch and it is set at +25%. I don't think the Hoverfly will arm without a valid value on that channel. If the connections between the receiver and board are correct you should be ok.

Good Luck,

-Russ
    edited 2014-04-17 16:30
    i have connected all cables based on the software to the recover on the quad i have a bad feeling though i did not swicth anything all cables went back in the same place but i looked at the X config in the hoverfly manual
    edited 2014-04-17 16:34
    Hello tranger ,

i sent that in teh sub trim looks liek the only plaace i could set it.
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-04-17 16:51
    Based on the document you linked to in post #18, it looks like your receiver should connect to the HoverFly like this.

attachment.php?attachmentid=108199&d=1397778509

I added the channel numbers since your channel numbers don't match the receiver shown above.

I'm concerned about channels possibly needing to be reversed. Do we know if the throttle and other channels are configured the correct direction?

You need a way to adjust channel 5 to 25%.
    850 x 404 - 151K
    edited 2014-04-17 17:06
    hello i have adjusted channel 5 to 25 i have a new video as well.

http://youtu.be/rOyjDGNirGE
    edited 2014-04-17 17:08
    i am looking at the picture Duane Degn did you mean to skip the first conenction from teh bottom

i will post the RX pic in a bit

WP_20140417_06_53_30_Pro.jpg
    1024 x 576 - 57K
    edited 2014-04-17 17:54
    I agree with Duane's connection diagram. The connections on the receiver in his diagram are not in the same order as your's - go by the channel numbers. I know I had to reverse two channels directions on my unit when I was started - I'm using a HiTech Aurora radio.
    When you are testing, avoid adding enough power to flip. Stop just a little below that level and move the elevator (right stick up/dn) and see if it is behaving in the right direction. You can do the same with the aileron (right stick l/r). I'm also thinking you may have to reverse one or more channels.

After checking my radio, I had to reverse the elevator and the rudder channels - just an example, my radio is different than yours

-Russ
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2014-04-17 18:27
    As Russ points out you might need to reverse one or more channels.

If you let us know which way the display changes when you move the sticks we could help you figure out which channels need to be reversed.

Are any of the channels presently reversed?

The numbers I added to the picture in post #39 should correspond to the numbers on your receiver. I based these numbers on this document.
    edited 2014-04-17 19:43
    Chris,

I deleted a few of your empty messages just to keep this thread tidy and out of respect for the people trying to help you get this ELEV-8 in the air.

Several questions were asked above, but not clearly answered. These questions are:

- are any channels presently reversed?
    - have you set CH5 (gain) to 25%, however it works on that radio (by software control, knob, etc.)?
    - have you configured the OPEN in the Hoverfly Setup Utility to be an "X"?

Once we know the answers to these items we'll figure out the next problem, unless it is solved.

Thanks,

Ken Gracey
    edited 2014-04-18 04:40
    Hello ken,

sorry everyone not sure how i managed to insert empty threads but i will be more careful next time

to answer your questions

- are any channels presently reversed?

no there are no chanells reversed at this time

- have you set CH5 (gain) to 25%, however it works on that radio (by software control, knob, etc.)?
    yes i set this on the controller there was a knob that i could move it to about 25%

- have you configured the OPEN in the Hoverfly Setup Utility to be an "X"?
    Yes it is configured to the X configuration and i made it to the end and it said successfully updated firmware
    edited 2014-04-18 04:43
    Hello Russ,

can you explain again how you would like me to test the controller and quad i can make a video if you like of that test
    edited 2014-04-18 06:23
    Hello Duane Degn

i changed my wires based on teh diagram you posted and now i can not arm it i think my controlers gain is still not 25% but i need soem help to figure out where to change that.
    edited 2014-04-18 06:57
    Ok, two more questions:

- have you programmed the ESCs with a programming card?
    - when you power up the ELEV-8, have you set throttle high, heard two beeps, then all the way low?

The second item sets throttle range on the ESCs.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2014-04-18 08:11
    Hello ken,

- have you programmed the ESCs with a programming card?

Yes i have the programming card that i brought form you all i used the document on the attached picture to rpogramm
    esc programm.PNG

- when you power up the ELEV-8, have you set throttle high, heard two beeps, then all the way low?

when i turn the elect 8 on i here this

this video may help
    http://youtu.be/KKEN3dTNX-w

beep beep beep

long beep

then beep beep then light turns green and blinks

979 x 677 - 757K
    edited 2014-04-18 09:05
    Hi Chris,

Sorry I was out in the back yard, flying my Elev-8, among other things, and didn't see your post. :-)

The settings established by the programming card are one step. Setting the throttle range, mentioned by Ken, is a different step. It tells the ESC what the max throttle input sent by the controller looks like - to calibrate the ESC to the radio setup and to make sure all four are the same.

What I was referring to earlier was a one way to determine if you have any radio channels reversed. You would throttle up until the quad is "light on its feet", but before you flip. ;-). You can apply elevator input, forward or back, and see how the quad reacts. If you push the stick forward, the quad should try to tip forward or at least scoot in that direction. Same technique for the aileron.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-04-18 09:18
    Is is possible during the initial setting up of the Quad, the ESC to Motors where not checked for correct rotation? In the video, it looked like one prop was pulling instead of pushing.

If you switch two of the three wires going to the motor' it will reverse the rotation.
    edited 2014-04-18 09:35
    The video in post #13 looks correct and the props look like they are the matching "hand". I could see rotation most clearly as the props were coming to a stop. Pubilson - which prop looks problematic?

-Russ
    edited 2014-04-18 09:38
    Hey Russ,

yes each motor has been setup what i did was plug in each motor and throttled all the way then waited for a beep then throttled all the way back down and then 2 beeps. i did that for all four motors.that was without the propellers so prevent injury
    edited 2014-04-18 09:42
    tranger wrote: »
    The video in post #13 looks correct and the props look like they are the matching "hand". I could see rotation most clearly as the props were coming to a stop. Pubilson - which prop looks problematic?

-Russ

Not sure. Just that one motor was doing the opposite of what is was supposed to do. I may have to do with reversal on the transmitter.

I do not have an Elev-8, ( Ken hasn't sent me one yet :) ) but have RC-ESC experience. Just trowing that out as a possible suggestion.
    edited 2014-04-18 09:47
    Publison i think i see what you are talking about a have a new videi i will uplaod that may or may not show what you were pointing out
    check this out

http://youtu.be/CAJ0kyOaTu4
    edited 2014-04-18 09:58
    Thanks Chris! That says a lot.

Jim
    edited 2014-04-18 11:43
    Chris, I watched the YouTube video and it seems you are now able to arm and throttle up. All propellers seem to be turning in the right direction, too, so I think the next step would be to see what happens with more throttle. If it rears one direction or another - opposite of what you expect - then you might have the aileron channel reversed. But when you do this experiment, you need to be careful not to flip all the way. While I realize it starts to go over quickly, you can keep it from flipping if you're somewhat adept on the controls.

If it always flips right, what happens when you give it some right or left aileron before it flips?

Ken Gracey
    edited 2014-04-18 11:51
    just to let you know ken i am still new to the quad flying i have had this quad since Christmas and have been unable to fly but i will shoot a video but i will go outside for this video.
    edited 2014-04-18 11:56
    just to let you know ken i am still new to the quad flying i have had this quad since Christmas and have been unable to fly but i will shoot a video but i will go outside for this video.

That's okay. We'll get you in the air. Sometimes the biggest technical hurdles have the largest reward when you finally succeed. You're combining lots of things to get this ELEV-8 in the air: radio, some skill, assembly, loading code, etc. There's plenty of room for failure along the way.

Don't try to fly and shoot video at the same time, unless you've got a tripod. And when you record the video, be verbose in your narrative so we can correlate what you're doing on the sticks with the behavior of the ELEV-8.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2014-04-18 12:06
    I think the problem is that the ESCs are wired to the wrong place, but you said you went over this 4x already.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2014-04-18 12:07
    Opps hello Ken,

i already shot the video i don't own a tripod but could rig one up to work for later.

here is the video all that i did in this one was move the throttle up and tried to move left or right but i think i might need to re shoot

http://youtu.be/K2dpMqKQrcY