Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Arlo Power Distribution Board - is this what you asked for? - Page 4 — Parallax Forums

Arlo Power Distribution Board - is this what you asked for?

124»

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2015-01-29 12:24
    While this is a hot topic and Matt's offer is good, I should check the no-load current draw on the motors I got from the IFM auction. Hard to believe it has been just over a year and I haven't built that bot yet. Too many projects.

If there's a Parallax P2 launch party this fall, I better get crackin'!
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2015-01-29 12:41
    Those were the "old style" motors Sir-co. You may have the only 2 known to still be in the wild. (Aside from my private stache here in the pit. Speaking of which...IFM is coming up in a couple months! Getting close for me to clean out our closet here and have another auction for their benefit...ya think? :)
    -MattG
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2015-01-29 16:33
    At some point, you will have to consider the PCB's trace widths. They were designed conservatively to handle the stated fuse currents, but there comes a point at ?? amps where the traces themselves will act as their own fuses. I guess the take-away is not to get too ambitious about over-fusing. OTOH, it might be nice to know where the trace-as-fuse threshold actually lies. Are you feeling lucky? :)

-Phil
  • ChrisL8ChrisL8 Posts: 129
    edited 2015-01-30 17:49
    I'm a little late here, as I've been a little busy. I've blown one of the 5 amp motor fuses 3 times now. Each time there was some increased resistance, but the wheel was always able to keep turning up until the fuse blew.
    Is it possible I've got a bum motor?
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2015-01-30 19:09
    ChrisL8 wrote: »
    Is it possible I've got a bum motor?

Do you have a way of monitoring the current of the motor?

I often use my bench top power supply to power my robot while I'm testing the code. Like many bench top supplies, mine has a current meter built in.

Another option would be to use a multimeter set to current mode. My Fluke has a 10A socket for use with the amp meter. I think many DMM's have some sort of current meter.
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2015-01-30 19:33
    OTOH, it might be nice to know where the trace-as-fuse threshold actually lies. Are you feeling lucky? :)

I'd personally prefer to blow lots of cheap fuses before I ruined my board!
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2015-02-03 09:14
    Hey ChrisL8 -
    Does it happen to be the right side motor?
    PM me your shipping address and we'll get you out a replacement, that should not be happening :D
    -MattG
    edited 2015-02-04 07:50
    Thank you Matt! Let me do some more testing first. I don't have a meter that will display DC Amps, but maybe I'll find one.

Here is a question:
    Would this be a good idea or a bad one?
    "Littelfuse 0UCB005.XP 5 Amp Universal Circuit Breaker"
    http://www.amazon.com/Littelfuse-0UCB005-XP-Universal-Circuit-Breaker/dp/B004A8RR3G/ref=pd_sbs_auto_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=0ES8D5EZX6ZGT05AZAZH

Or what about just a real breaker like this?
    http://www.amazon.com/Sierra-International-CB41200-Resettable-Circuit/dp/B00144GTHO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423064713&sr=8-1&keywords=5+amp+resettable+fuse

That way I would be able to properly shut things down in a stall situation, which does happen sometimes in autonomous operation, without having to replace the fuse every time.

I like the idea of the self resetting fuse,
    then if I could detect the loss of power at the motor (is there a way to monitor for 12V power with a pin on the Propeller?) I could know when a breaker was tripped and shut down/call for help/etc, while still being able to get going again remotely (i.e. switch to teleoperation and manually navigate out of the situation which caused the stall.)

Thoughts?

Should I start a new thread?
    edited 2015-02-04 10:50
    is there a way to monitor for 12V power with a pin on the Propeller?

Yes, you can use a voltage divider to drop the voltage down to a save level for the PAB's ADC. The PAB uses a 5V ADC so if you battery didn't get higher than 15V you could use this circuit.
        Voltage Divider Schematic

15V
                       
                       │
                       20KΩ
                       │
      ADC Channel &#61615;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9472;&#9515;  << This junction should measure 5V 
                       &#9474;
                       &#61628;10K&#937;
                       &#9474;
                       &#61464; 0V

Edit: Darn, the forum software (or my browser) doesn't display the Parallax font correctly now. Hopefully you can still tell what the circuit is.
    edited 2015-02-04 11:32
    Thank you Duane! That makes perfect sense.

Building a monitor circuit will also make it easy for me to tell if the "Motor" switch is on or off from the propeller, and to respond to both blown fuses and "emergency kill" situations when someone flips the switch off to stop the robot.

I'm thinking of ordering a couple of these:
    http://www.waytekwire.com/item/46859/MINI-CIRCUIT-BREAKER-5-AMP/

They are supposed to "trip" at over 5amps and then "latch" off until power is removed, so they will not reset until I power cycle the motors, which is exactly what I want. This will require a positive response to any problem before power is restored.

As to whether my motors have problems or not, I'm going to do some more testing and monitoring. It seems that with the rubber wheels the motor can be stalled if the robot is impeded. I thought that the wheel would just slip on a smooth surface, but I think there is enough friction to stall the motor, which ultimately is good. I would rather stall it than burn rubber. :)
    The only down side is it is very difficult to replace fuses, not to mention I don't want to have to buy them in bulk as "robot food".

I will obtain an amp meter though and test to make sure everything is working correctly and compare left to right.
    I initially thought I was only blowing fuses on one side, but now I've had it happen on both, so maybe I just need to quit fighting with rocking chairs? :)
    edited 2015-02-04 11:45
    I'm thinking of ordering a couple of these:
    http://www.waytekwire.com/item/46859/MINI-CIRCUIT-BREAKER-5-AMP/

Those look very interesting. I hope you let us know how they work.
    edited 2015-02-04 13:18
    I just ordered a couple of these, as Duane mentioned in another thread:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17864__In_Line_Voltage_and_Amperage_Meter.html
    This seems like the most simple and inexpensive way to monitor current draw.

and a couple of these:
    http://www.waytekwire.com/wps/myportal/en/products/!ut/p/a1/04_Sj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOJdfSwDPbzdDQ3cA3yNDDy93F3NDB29DQ38DYAKIoEKDHAARwNC-sP1o_AqMTCEKsBjRSTQDeY4TQg2BVpCQEFBboRBlqlFOgClzOxN/#Z7_EL9QHKG10GPM20IJGE61AK10S5

so I will report back on my findings.
    edited 2015-04-13 08:33
    As an update, I got the 5 amp "breakers" and put them between the power supply and the motors,
    I also replaced the fuses in the Arlo Power Supply with 7.5 amp fuses, just so that the "breakers" would trip first.

So far I haven't blown a fuse or tripped a breaker since doing that, but I will keep trying and let you know what happens. :)

I also received the AMP meters, but I haven't put them in line yet. As long as things are working it hasn't been a priority.
  • jtilghmanjtilghman Posts: 67
    edited 2015-05-04 13:02
    You say " I got the 5 amp "breakers" and put them between the power supply and the motors ".

So is that before of after the HB-25s ?

Also what about the fuse on the HB-25s, did you change that ?

Was that fuse not tripping as well ?

Just trying to get feel for what the wiring looks like..
    edited 2015-05-13 14:51
    The HB-25s have 25amp fuses, so I hope those never blow!
    I replaced the fuses in the Arlo Power Supply with 7.5 amp fuses,

So it goes battery->10ampFuse->MotorSwitch->7.5ampFuse->5ampBreaker->25ampFuse->HB-25.

AND, yesterday I had one of the 7.5am fuses blow. I'm not sure how/why that happened. I think the 5amp Breaker should have gone first.

I replaced the 7.5amp Fuse with a 10Amp fuse for now. I'm not sure if that is a good idea or not, but I would like to see the Breaker work.
  • jtilghmanjtilghman Posts: 67
    edited 2015-05-13 16:08
    I think I would have put the breakers between the motors and HB25s.

Thing is that when the motors pull the amps, you want things to trip.

Before it trips the HB25s.

The HB-25s have 25amp fuses, so I hope those never blow!
    I replaced the fuses in the Arlo Power Supply with 7.5 amp fuses,

So it goes battery->10ampFuse->MotorSwitch->7.5ampFuse->5ampBreaker->25ampFuse->HB-25.

AND, yesterday I had one of the 7.5am fuses blow. I'm not sure how/why that happened. I think the 5amp Breaker should have gone first.

I replaced the 7.5amp Fuse with a 10Amp fuse for now. I'm not sure if that is a good idea or not, but I would like to see the Breaker work.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2015-05-27 15:38

Slow blow or fast blow 7.5A fuse?
    edited 2015-06-03 11:24
    erco wrote: »
    Slow blow or fast blow 7.5A fuse?

How do I tell? I didn't know these mini fuses had the slow/fast blow option.