Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Arlo Power Distribution Board - is this what you asked for? - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Arlo Power Distribution Board - is this what you asked for?

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2014-06-17 20:50
    I'm working on the documentation now and I'll let you know when it's available "RSN".
    LOL! I guess when Ken told me that he'd do the documentation, he meant that he was going to delegate it. :)

Good luck, Matt! Just remember to keep the switch sockets pointing straight up. That's the hardest part. (I better quit now before that job comes full circle.)

-Phil
  • Matt GillilandMatt Gilliland Posts: 1,406
    edited 2014-06-18 14:38
    Phil - I just shipped you all the parts shown below....
    IMG_1078.jpg

I expect a finished Product Doc on my desk in the morning! :tongue:
    -Matt-passthebuck-G
    1024 x 768 - 81K
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2014-06-18 15:07
    I was just heading out the door, Matt. Vacation. 'Be gone a month -- no, two months. Sorry.

-Phil
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2014-06-18 18:34
    Hi I think it's about $50.

However, you could use any standard 12 SLA battery charger, and if you wanted to use it with this new Power Distribution Board, it would need a center positive 2.5mm x 5.5mm OD jack, to fit into the receptacle.

-MattG

Fitty simoleons? Couldn't poor folk like me use one of these fi'dollah types with a dollah plug?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-1250mA-Volt-Sealed-Lead-Acid-Rechargeable-Battery-Charger-F-Car-Motor-Truck-/221438230565
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-DC-Power-Male-Plug-Jack-Adapter-Connector-2-5-x-5-5mm-2-5mm-plug-/291171489069
  • ChrisL8ChrisL8 Posts: 129
    edited 2014-06-19 07:36
    More questions!
    I'm getting such good responses here I'll keep on:

1. #700-00240 is the Eddie charger part number, so is it the same? $50 sounds kind of expensive, can you explain how this charger is superior to something like this for $23: http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S/ref=pd_sim_p_4 that seems to be quite fancy?

2. The Eddie board had a 12V regulated port for a Kinect. Do you think that the Kinect could run off of the unregulated 12V from the 2 SLA batteries, or if I attach a Kinect do I need to add another power regulator for it?

3. How can I change my name on the forum? I'm not sure how I got to be "clofland" while everyone else here seems to have a proper name. :)

Thanks!
    edited 2014-06-19 08:39
    Fitty simoleons? Couldn't poor folk like me use one of these fi'dollah types with a dollah plug?
    Absolutely! And we encourage it. Of course you'll have to put the proper jack on the end of the leads to mate with the board - but yes go for it!
    1. #700-00240 is the Eddie charger part number, so is it the same? $50 sounds kind of expensive, can you explain how this charger is superior to something like this for $23: http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-021-0123-Junior-Charger/dp/B000CITK8S/ref=pd_sim_p_4 that seems to be quite fancy?
    We only offer the charger as a convenience (or include it in a "full kit" like we used to with Eddie). We know where our value is and it's not in what I call the "jelly-bean" arena. We think there's a lot of value in the Arlo system, but not in ubiquitous markets like chargers, nuts, bolts, etc.

-MattG
    edited 2014-06-19 08:56
    2. The Eddie board had a 12V regulated port for a Kinect. Do you think that the Kinect could run off of the unregulated 12V from the 2 SLA batteries, or if I attach a Kinect do I need to add another power regulator for it?

Don't know for sure. As I recall, (could be wrong), it seemed like the Kinect was really per-snickity on it's power source. I'd add the regulation if that's what you're planning on using.
    3. How can I change my name on the forum? I'm not sure how I got to be "clofland" while everyone else here seems to have a proper name. :smile:
    Send me a Private Message with what you want it to be and we'll change it for you, that way it will associate with all your previous posts too.

Although there are some with really goofy forum names used here on purpose - a great example would be "erco" - have you ever heard of one so ridiculous? :tongue:

-MattG
    edited 2014-06-19 10:49
    Although there are some with really goofy forum names used here on purpose - a great example would be "erco" - have you ever heard of one so ridiculous? :tongue:

Agreed. Delete that clown's 12K posts and the world will be a better place. :)
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-06-19 11:11
    Plenty of 12Volt SLA chargers out there.

Erco has your solution in Post #35
    edited 2014-07-08 10:00
    Any update on this? :)

I see that the Arlo Casters, Aluminum Motor Mount and Wheel Kit and top decks are out of stock anyway, so maybe you guys are just very busy?
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2014-07-08 13:56
    clofland wrote: »
    Any update on this? :)

I see that the Arlo Casters, Aluminum Motor Mount and Wheel Kit and top decks are out of stock anyway, so maybe you guys are just very busy?

We are one week out from availability on the Arlo Power Distribution Board. It's been a matter of documentation, the most important part.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2014-07-26 12:08

. . .you could use any standard 12 SLA battery charger, and if you wanted to use it with this new Power Distribution Board, it would need a center positive 2.5mm x 5.5mm OD jack, to fit into the receptacle.
    -MattG

Above you mentioned a 2.5mm jack, but the site here:
    http://www.parallax.com/news/2014-03-28/arlo-power-distribution-board-arlo-robotic-platform-system-heading-kitting
    says:
    • Built-in 2.1 mm power jack for charging two 12V sealed lead acid batteries with our charge unit.
    So is it 2.5 or 2.1?
    edited 2014-07-29 07:29
    So is it 2.5 or 2.1?

Hi ChrisL8-
    It's a 2.5mm center pin device.
    The Digikey equivalent is this.

If you're building your own charger, the mate for it is here.

We'll update the description on the site -thanks!

-MattG
    edited 2014-08-01 10:35
    The wait is finally over...

We approved the first production kit today :thumb:

The first (20) kits will be in stock Monday morning :thumb:

The website will show them as "available" as soon as they're put into our stockroom :thumb:

I've got mine already :thumb: oh...wait...did I say that out loud?

That means we're down to (19) units already?! and it's not even on the website yet? :tongue:

-MattG
    edited 2014-08-01 11:44
    Matt: Wouldn't these power distribution board kits be great prizes for all of your recent Arlo feature contest winners? Then afterwards you might have as many as 3 pieces for sale on your website...

Yes I'm kitting.
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2014-08-01 15:44
    I want one but it is going to depend on the price. I have spent pretty much all of this quarters electronics budget and the quarter is only a month old!!!
  • Jen J.Jen J. Posts: 649
    edited 2014-08-01 16:40
    And look how pretty it is...
    28996.png
    500 x 500 - 271K
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2014-08-01 21:14
    NWCCTV wrote: »
    I want one but it is going to depend on the price. I have spent pretty much all of this quarters electronics budget and the quarter is only a month old!!!

Unfortunately our price on these is fairly high at $99. The Bill of Material cost is sky-high this time, but the convenience for the customer is also very good.

Ken Gracey
  • NikosGNikosG Posts: 705
    edited 2014-08-02 10:41
    Jen J. wrote: »
    And look how pretty it is...
    28996.png

Awesome!!!!!
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2014-08-02 14:13
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Unfortunately our price on these is fairly high at $99. The Bill of Material cost is sky-high this time, but the convenience for the customer is also very good.

Ken Gracey

@Ken - I thought y'all had said under a hundred bucks! What should we have expected? :-)

@Jen - it is a beauty!
    edited 2014-08-03 16:52
    Great-looking unit! Per Ken, a bit pricey, but since it's all open source and the schematic is already posted online, anyone who is funds-challenged is free to roll their own. In fact, it would be downright interesting to see what people come up with. A few years ago, forumista and robotics guru Ron Czapala made his own scratch-built Stingray robot and posted some amazing dead reckoning videos of his bot in action. IIRC, better repeatability than the stock Stingray videos I have seen. Homemade is always best IMHO. :)

BTW, can someone please remind me what Arlo stands for? Was that a snappy acronym or someone's favorite grandpappy?
    edited 2014-08-03 18:14
    erco wrote: »
    BTW, can someone please remind me what Arlo stands for?

Amazing Robotic Left Overs - the Arlo developed over time and re-purposed parts from all its ancestors. Now it is a true kit for the user to develop.
    edited 2014-08-03 18:29
    Ugh. That's hardly better than TWAIN. From Wiki:

The word TWAIN is not officially an acronym, but it is a backronym. The official website notes that "the word TWAIN is from Kipling's The Ballad of East and West — '...and never the twain shall meet...' — reflecting the difficulty, at the time, of connecting scanners and personal computers. It was up-cased to TWAIN to make it more distinctive. This led people to believe it was an acronym, and then to a contest to come up with an expansion. None was selected, but the entry Technology Without An Interesting Name continues to haunt the standard."[4]
  • msrobotsmsrobots Posts: 3,709
    edited 2014-08-04 01:13
    In 1992 at the CEBIT Fair in Hannover, Germany the at that time CEO of IBM explained to me the long form of PCMCIA.

People Can't Memorize Computer Industries Acronyms.

Worked well for me...

Enjoy!

Mike
    edited 2014-08-04 06:18
    erco wrote: »
    Ugh...

The word TWAIN is not officially an acronym, but it is a backronym.

As was my made up "backronym" for Arlo. Seems like when they changed the name - they picked something friendly sounding...The REAL story on the name Arlo is found here - http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/150736-Arlo-Robot-will-it-eventually-replace-Eddie?highlight=Arlo+Whit

Matt said in this thread http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/150738-Meet-Arlo-our-new-Robot-Base-System?highlight=Arlo , "Arlo has arrived and is looking for new homes and offices to play and/or work in ;-) Arlo's the latest addition to our Robotic Platform Lineup. Arlo bears a strong resemblance to his mother and father (MadeUSA and Eddie), but he also sports some new capabilities..." That was my inspiration for Amazing Robotic Left Overs...
    edited 2014-08-04 07:05
    The first (20) kits will be in stock Monday morning :thumb:
    The website will show them as "available" as soon as they're put into our stockroom :thumb:

Does this mean that we should be able to order it from the web site today?
    edited 2014-08-04 07:59
    Does this mean that we should be able to order it from the web site today?
    Yes! I will update this thread the second it's up.

We're only gonna get 20 complete kits in today, And several of those are already spoken for. There's a shortage of several components me thinks.

(edit; I'll let you know just after I get mine) :tongue:

-MattG
    edited 2014-08-04 11:40
    Hooray Courtney- thanks!
    -MattG
    edited 2014-08-04 11:46
    Ordered! :)