Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Open Propeller Project #3: Propeller IDE V0.1 Package Available - Page 8 — Parallax Forums

Open Propeller Project #3: Propeller IDE V0.1 Package Available

Comments

• mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-02-20 12:09
    Heater. wrote: »
    Yes, Ts and Beanies!

Um, Steve? Does most of your virtual team tend to get distrac
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2014-02-20 12:25
    TS? Sure.

I'd like to support a "living wage" t-shirt company if possible. Any ideas?

Is 27 suggested names fair limit? :)

Distracted? Never :P
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2014-02-20 12:38
    Jazzed,

"Here come the choppers to chop off your heads!" comes from a nursery rhyme dating back to 1600 and something.

It ends:

"Here comes a Candle to light you to Bed
    Here comes a Chopper to Chop off your Head
    Chip chop chip chop - the Last Man's Dead."

A charming little ditty for children.

We have had oppressive governments in England for a long time...
  • John AbshierJohn Abshier Posts: 1,116
    edited 2014-02-20 12:54
    I like the Prop Tool. But then I have been using it forever. In particular I like the indentation highlighting, block colors, Object Info, and the Object View Pane. I do wish that PST were more closely linked the Prop Tool. I would like for PST to disable only if the Prop Tool gets focus, not when PST loses focus. The thing I miss from other editors is the ability to have two views of the same file.

John Abshier
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2014-02-20 13:48
    Whatever you guys want, we shall provide.

How could a company possibly thank contributors? Finding the right way to say thanks to engineers who contribute efforts to the community is tough.

But consider the T-shirts and stickers on order! You can ask for more, you know? I might be pressed when I have to hand out a bunch of $500 FPGA Propeller 2 boards, but we certainly can do that too.

Ken Gracey
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,516
    edited 2014-02-20 13:55
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    Whatever you guys want, we shall provide.

How could a company possibly thank contributors? Finding the right way to say thanks to engineers who contribute efforts to the community is tough.

But consider the T-shirts and stickers on order! You can ask for more, you know? I might be pressed when I have to hand out a bunch of $500 FPGA Propeller 2 boards, but we certainly can do that too.

Ken Gracey
    I think I have everything that I need to contribute to this project except maybe time. Could you supply me with a little more of that?
    edited 2014-02-20 14:03
    Free copies of the first production release of the software?

Souvenir Propeller IDE Flowchart Templates?

templates.jpg

Bobble head dolls of your favorite Parallax Star Contributor (or favorite employee)?

...come to think of it those FPGAs could come in handy since my Nano is reaching the end of it's useful life....but that's another project!!
    1024 x 768 - 123K
    edited 2014-02-20 14:25
    Nice stencils :)
    mindrobots wrote: »
    Bobble head dolls of your favorite Parallax Star Contributor (or favorite employee)?

LOL. How about a dart board and some pictures of (well whatever blows your dress up) ... maybe a forumite ]:-P avatar collage overlay marked with point values.
    edited 2014-02-20 16:03
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    But consider the T-shirts and stickers on order! You can ask for more, you know?
    BTW, I prefer teal, white, light green, light blue, or purple colors for T's. Anything that works with blue-jeans.
    edited 2014-02-20 16:11
    jazzed wrote: »
    BTW, I prefer teal, white, light green, light blue, or purple colors for T's. Anything that works with blue-jeans.

I must need a west coast fashion consult...I always thought ANYTHING went with blue jeans!

I'll go with anything that doesn't make me look fat....(it's another IMPOSSIBLE Propeller challenge!!!)
    edited 2014-02-20 16:30
    mindrobots wrote: »
    I must need a west coast fashion consult...I always thought ANYTHING went with blue jeans!

I'll go with anything that doesn't make me look fat....(it's another IMPOSSIBLE Propeller challenge!!!)
    I'll send you a pair of sweats.

I never wear super-faded jeans, and prefer complementary colors. I put teal and white first because they are fairly neutral ... unless you're the ice-cream man or not a Shark's fan LOL. Purple is last on my list but it ages nicely like "Beaulieu Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon"

These are just my preferences :) I'm sure you'll wear something else.

Oh, I pushed changes to the repository today.

The registry key is different (now PropellerIDE) so you shouldn't get that properties popup at first start now - you'll have to fool with it later,
    Changed name to PropellerIDE.
    Removed XBasic features from GUI, but not code.
    Added code to satisfy unused warnings in abstract classes.
    Removed unused variables in some places.
    Removed some crufty leftovers.
    Removed unused posix_qextserialport.cpp.
    Changed toAscii() calls to toLatin1().
    Made compiler properties now takes windows backslash for paths.

I recommend the following command/program steps:
    Close QtCreator if it is open.

hg revert all
    # removes all changes from the local repository, and keeps copies of files
    hg pull
    # gets changes
    hg update
    # applies changes to your local source

Open QtCreator EzIDE.pro
    Choose Menu -> Build -> Rebuild All

• ctwardellctwardell Posts: 1,716
    edited 2014-02-20 16:46
    Thanks Steve.

I tested the properties dialog with windows backslashes and it works fine.

C.W.
    edited 2014-02-20 17:20
    ctwardell wrote: »
    Thanks Steve.

I tested the properties dialog with windows backslashes and it works fine.

C.W.
    Does it also work with forward slashes for Linux and Mac users?
    edited 2014-02-20 17:35
    David Betz wrote: »
    Does it also work with forward slashes for Linux and Mac users?

Yes, it accepts the windows backslashes but converts them to forward slashes.
    I can paste in paths from windows and then when I reopen the dialog they show up as forward slashes.

This is info on the function used to convert:

http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-4.8/qdir.html#fromNativeSeparators

C.W.
    edited 2014-02-20 17:54
    I don't believe it. Grown men discussing the colour of their shirts. On a public forum. What is the world commiing to?

Let me translate the up date steps:
    $ rm -rf easyside
    $ hg clone https://code.google.com/p/easyside/
    $ cd easyside/ide
    $ qmake
    $ make
    $ ./PropellerIDE 

Builds cleanly and runs fine on the Raspberry Pi and on 64 bit Debian PC.

However it is not usable yet:

1) Type code and hit F9:

Error dialogue:

"Files must be of type .bas or .spin"

2) Save file as "fred" and hit F9:

Error dialogue:

"Files must be of type .bas or .spin"

3) Save file as "fred.spn" hit F9:

Error dialogue:

"Please specify the compiler application in properties"

4) OK do that and hit F9:

Error dialogue:

"Please specify include path in properties"

Why? I have no object includes.

5) OK do that and hit F9:

Error dialogue:

"Serial port not available. Connect a USB Propeller board, turn it on, and try again."

Why? I only want to compile.

6) I'm stuck. I have no Propeller board here.
    edited 2014-02-20 17:58
    Heater,

It is working on WIn7.

I can load a .spin file, hit F9 and it builds. (I also don't have a prop board plugged in)

Did you configure the properties?

It does look like the behavior of save needs changed, currently you can hit save on an untitled file and it seems to save to nothing...
    Most programs treat a save of an untitled file as a "Save As".

C.W.
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 3,000
    edited 2014-02-20 18:06
    New requirements:
    1. You should be able to build without needing a prop attached.
    2. Library path should be able to be blank to try building.
    3. when you save an editor window that wasn't from a previous file open, it should make the file a .spin file.
    edited 2014-02-20 18:13
    My properties are configured to point to openspin. The include directory is set to an empty tmp directory. The loader is blank because I don't have one on either machine I have access to today, plus I don't need one.
    Let's not put the failure to build onto the user :)

Roy has summed up the situation nicely.
    edited 2014-02-20 18:16
    Here is an odd thing:

If I empty all the fields of the properties box and hit "cancel". They are back again when I open it again.

Not that anyone would ever want to do that.
  • Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 3,000
    edited 2014-02-20 18:37
    Heater,
    That would be expected behavior. Cancel should cancel any changes you made for that dialog. In my opinion, It would be a bug if they stayed blank when you hit cancel.
    edited 2014-02-20 19:05
    Heater

Added: Just to be clear, the changes I pushed addresses the post where you ran into all those dialog boxes.
    As far as needing a device attached, well F10 would need that, and it is very close to the F9 key.

original message below

I've pushed changes to help the crowd of folks who
    "prefer not to see that big ugly dialog first when the product was never packaged to work that way to in the beginning."

You will need to remove some properties from your home .config directory.
    rm -rf ~/.config/MicroCSource

Try it again.

Roy I'll add the requirements. Also, you have mail.
  • RsadeikaRsadeika Posts: 3,837
    edited 2014-02-21 06:39
    So I am still trying too play along on my xubuntu box, which is starting to be a real hassle. I followed the steps outlined by Heater, and the big problem is, I get a big "Permission denied" when I try to remove the files that are in the Images folder, even when I try this as sudo. And because of that, when I try to do a new "hg ...", I get an "abort: destination 'easyside' is not empty". I wonder if ubuntu is trying to be not so friedly with anything that is google? I guess I should put up a WARNING about using xubuntu if you will be trying to play along with Propeller IDE build.

Now, I had Debian installed before, which I did not care for, but if I want to play along I guess I will have too re-install that and see if I get better results with trying too accomplish all this. If I am having this much trouble right now, I am sure as heck am not going too try openSUSE or Fedora.

As an aside, I was unable too get SimpleIDE to run on an xubuntu install. I used sudo ./simpleide, which did nothing, and I also had made sure that the file(s) were checked for execute mode. I guess that is another WARNING.

Ray
    edited 2014-02-21 07:51
    Ray,
    I wonder if ubuntu is trying to be not so friedly with anything that is google?
    There is no need to imagine a "Canonical vs Google" war here.

Historically Canonical has taken Debian and made Ubuntu out of it. Along the way they break it. In so many ways I have lost count now.

Perhaps these breakages make Ubuntu easier for "normal" users somehow but they are a pain if you actually want to use a computer as a computer. Compiling SimpleIDE / Propeller IDE for example.

I'm sure the hg checkout from Google is just fine.
    I guess I should put up a WARNING about using xubuntu if you will be trying to play along with Propeller IDE build.
    The warning should be "Don't use Ubuntu if you actually want to do anything"

Before you replace your Ubuntu with Debian you might like to try:
    $ sudo chmod -R 777 easyside
    $ rm -rf easyside

And the try again.
  • heichheich Posts: 26
    edited 2014-02-21 10:22
    That isn't really what I'm after. What I actually want to do is write a GUI version of propeller-load. I don't want to write something that tries to compete with existing terminal emulators.

David
    I know you do not intend to reinvent the wheel; may I make you a simple suggestion on the serial interface?

Since I knew this application:

[URL] https://sites.google.com/site/terminalbpp/ [/URL]

I forgot * any * terminal emulator, including PST ..

I use minicom / CuteCom only because I do not want to add an additional layer to the serial communication through Wine just to run the Bray's Terminal.

In my opinion, one of the best features it has, are those separated windows, wich allows me to monitor what's really happening on the cable's other side, without the echos, or garbagge I generate on my side.
    edited 2014-02-21 10:45
    heich wrote: »
    David
    I know you do not intend to reinvent the wheel; may I make you a simple suggestion on the serial interface?

Since I knew this application:

[URL] https://sites.google.com/site/terminalbpp/ [/URL]

I forgot * any * terminal emulator, including PST ..

I use minicom / CuteCom only because I do not want to add an additional layer to the serial communication through Wine just to run the Bray's Terminal.

In my opinion, one of the best features it has, are those separated windows, wich allows me to monitor what's really happening on the cable's other side, without the echos, or garbagge I generate on my side.
    Ummm... That is one of the most cluttered interfaces I've ever seen. :-) Zillions of buttons and check boxes, etc. I suspect something like that would not be acceptable as the terminal in PropellerIDE or even SimpleIDE. Are you suggesting adopting that program or just using a similar two-window interface? I have mixed feelings about separate input and output windows but they do have the advantage you mention, avoiding confusing echoed input characters with simulataneous output. One problem with the separated windows is that they don't work well if you're trying to run an interactive screen-oriented program that responds to characters immediately without requiring ENTER.
    edited 2014-02-21 10:58
    Ummm... That is one of the most cluttered interfaces I've ever seen. :-) Zillions of buttons and check boxes, etc. I suspect something like that would not be acceptable as the terminal in PropellerIDE or even SimpleIDE. Are you suggesting adopting that program or just using a similar two-window interface? I have mixed feelings about separate input and output windows but they do have the advantage you mention, avoiding confusing echoed input characters with simulataneous output. One problem with the separated windows is that they don't work well if you're trying to run an interactive screen-oriented program that responds to characters immediately without requiring ENTER.

Wouldn't it be better to have the terminal able to do data segregation in some way that it could be toggled on and off for a single screen. If you toggled the feature on, then input would remain normal and output would be color inverted or something like that. It logically provide a dual windowing function by using coloring or high-lighting. Long ago, we had a network traffic monitor that handle data streams like this and once you got used to it, it was very easy to watch traffic go back and forth and see what was input and what was output. Separate windows are a hassle (unusable) for a real application expecting a normal terminal with one window, as you mention.
    edited 2014-02-21 11:42
    Well I went ahead and re-installed Debian Gnome, I guess I will just have to get used to it. I installed Qt5, which went very smooth, got the latest clone of Propeller IDE, and made sure that g++ is installed on the system. When I hit the green button, in Qt Creator, it goes through a build and comes up with an error: "GL/gl.h - No such file or directory". Boy am I having a lousy time with this Linux stuff. Now I am not sure where I have to find "GL/gl.h". Besides Heater, is anybody else doing business with Debian Gnome for building Propeller IDE?

Ray
  • heichheich Posts: 26
    edited 2014-02-21 12:02
    David.
    Agree, there are many buttons. But, once you know what are they for, the perspective changes.

I also agree with you about ENTER key, in fact, in this app, CR+LF code never goes to the remote board. That could be a trouble.

I was suggesting a 2 windows interface, I'll try to explain:

When I'm coding some low level Serial communication, sometimes I put the propeller as an "echo" device, wich, gets serial data from another device - P.E. a compass, or a serial number chip, or PIC... - and sends it back to the computer using its own serial interface.

On this 2 windows interface, I can click one of those cluttered checkboxes, and see the info that the remote sends on ASCII, HEX, BIN, or all of them.

This way, I can get a knowledge of how the serial communication -or protocol or hardware- is working between that device *and* the propeller, and make code as a consecuence, testing and adapting my project on the fly.

Anyway, Maybe I'm just thinking aloud, KISS interface, easy to understand is a best.

Regards

Hector
    edited 2014-02-21 12:14
    Success, after adding that mesa-common... stuff, finally got a glimpse of Propeller IDE running on Debian. Now for the real challange, getting and compiling openspin and propeller-load. I don't suppose anybody has done that already?

As for the terminal discussion, my vote, if counts for anything, NO to the split window. I have used CuteCom, and I thought it was a horrible experience. When I have used PST, I did not like that one either. Just my two cents.

Ray