Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
$7 Laser Sensor Bulk Buy - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

$7 Laser Sensor Bulk Buy

Comments

• NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2013-10-16 19:06
    @erco, just curious, did you ever order these?
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,255
    edited 2013-10-16 19:09
    Yup. 3 weeks ago. Hamamatsu USA service SUCKS. Delay after delay. Their latest email says:

These are specialty parts that we don't carry in stock. These parts will be shipping from
    New Jersey 10/31.
    edited 2013-10-16 19:56
    Wow, that is quite a delay. I guess it's a good thing I have no immediate plans for them! Thanks for the update.
    edited 2013-11-05 19:38
    Finally got shipping confirmation, sensors are scheduled to arrive Friday. A lengthy and painful wait.

Gentlemen, start your lasers!

Mike's all paid up. Anybody else still interested after all this time?
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2013-11-05 19:56
    erco wrote: »
    Anybody else still interested after all this time?

I'm still good for two. I'll send (another) PM asking about how to send you money.
    edited 2013-11-05 20:07
    erco, your PM box is full.
    erco,

How much do I owe you for two laser sensors and how do I pay you?

Do you have more of those P5587 sensors you want to sell? Or should I just check ebay?

You've got me hooked on them.

Duane
    edited 2013-11-05 20:58
    Sorry, just cleaned out my mailbox.

Everyone please PM me for Paypal info. $6 per sensor plus a buck for mailing.
    edited 2013-11-11 14:33
    Sensors arrived Friday and shipped today to Duane, Mike, Andy, Martin, & Dennis. I spent Saturday hand-testing every one and they work great, 100%. Still have some for Christmas stocking stuffers, PM for Paypal info.
    edited 2013-11-13 16:46
    Mailed out two each to Publison & Lynn today. Next victim? (sam...?)

Just a reminder to be careful when hooking these up. I hand tested every sensor I shipped out, 100% work. BUT they will release the magic smoke if you hook them up backwards, as poor Buzby found out:
    http://www.picaxeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?24399-Why-no-my-laser-work&p=244559&viewfull=1#post244559

PLEASE read & re-read the datasheet at http://www.junun.org/MarkIII/Info.jsp?item=79 and also Philo's page at http://www.philohome.com/sensors/lasersensor.htm This is a 5 volt device.

There is a bit of hacking involved to get to the laser diode out of a cheap laser pointer. Mine worked with the first two I tried, but the poor chap in the first thread mentioned here had a devil of a time getting his working. In the end, he says "not all lasers work". I have only tried two, both Ebay cheapies and they worked fine. So go slowly and carefully, and please share your results here. Erco wants happy customers!

BTW, I found it helpful to add an LED as an output indicator (normally high, active low). I used a low current LED with a series 1K resistor from output to +5V. Drawing too much current might affect sensor function or even damage it. http://www.junun.org/MarkIII/Info.jsp?item=62

And I wouldn't be a responsible Forumista if I didn't remind folks to use special safety precautions using a laser. :)
    384 x 512 - 75K
    512 x 384 - 70K
    edited 2013-11-13 17:17
    Are they here yet?

Nope. I just checked the mail. World domination will have to wait another day.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2013-11-16 16:03
    Package delivered! Got mine before Duane? Clear across the country?
    edited 2013-11-16 16:26
    Publison wrote: »
    Package delivered! Got mine before Duane? Clear across the country?

Nope, I got mine yesterday. I was trying to think of some clever use for it so I could include a picture. Now the picture can wait.

But in case it's not clear. I got mine before you. But you're still in the running to do something useful with it first.
    edited 2013-11-16 16:38
    Smoke 'em if you got 'em! JK

@Pub, I was hoping that you'd get them on your birthday. Most XLNT! And I mailed them out on my birthday, so got the bestest, extra-special sensors!

Anybody else get theirs?
  • sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2013-11-16 16:47
    I send a payment for the two sensors that I ordered I might order two more ( when I try these out and see how good they are) in a week or so and will add the $2.00 more
    edited 2013-11-16 18:48
    I received mine yesterday. However, it is going to be a bit before I get around to doing anything with them as business seems to have hit high gear again.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2013-11-19 11:06
    Anybody else get theirs?

I got mine last Friday and meant to reply to this note. I should have a chance to play around with it after my latest IK extravaganza.

BTW In reading the datasheet it isn't clear how to identify pin 1. Given that these things go pop if you hook them up wrong, how do we tell?
    edited 2013-11-19 11:38
    This older project was recently bumped over on Let's Make Robots. It looks like a great application for these sensors.
    edited 2013-11-19 13:37
    Martin_H wrote: »
    BTW In reading the datasheet it isn't clear how to identify pin 1. Given that these things go pop if you hook them up wrong, how do we tell?

They are numbered (albeit tiny) on page 3 of the pdf available from http://www.junun.org/MarkIII/Info.jsp?item=79

Screenshot attached here. The active side is crystal clear, backside is kinda frosted.

So looking at the clear/active side, the bottom pins are (left to right):

1) Vout (sinal out, active low)
    2) Ground
    3) to laser Cathode
    4) +5V
    820 x 820 - 84K
    edited 2013-11-19 15:16
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    This older project was recently bumped over on Let's Make Robots. It looks like a great application for these sensors.

Hmmm. And I was convinced you were going to reference this project about triangulating position: http://nxt-unroller.blogspot.com/2012/10/laser-sensor-for-nxt.html

I've been back-burnering on this for over a year now: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/143732-Laser-Triangulation-for-Navigation
    edited 2013-11-19 16:12
    Erco, thanks for the pinout.
    edited 2013-12-10 22:21
    I haven't heard a peep from anyone. Has anyone tried these (or fried these) yet?

If you missed my figure 8 post in Robotics, here's a navigation demo using a single reflector reference point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKoD-q35brI
  • Mike CookMike Cook Posts: 829
    edited 2013-12-11 03:46
    Mine are still sitting in the delivery envelope. Got everything now to start working on it except for time!
    edited 2013-12-11 06:23
    I've looked at mine, read the data sheet, and gathered the other parts (e.g. laser module, perf board). It's stacked up behind my scara arm vacuum gripper work. Plus it's December which means my life is being turned upside down by holiday stuff.
    edited 2014-01-10 19:29
    EG has a 5-day sale on this 99-cent laser module for anyone who can't bring themselves to gut a laser pointer to build their sensor. The button cell battery is a bonus.

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G19601
    edited 2014-01-11 03:39
    Erco, thanks for bringing this thread to the top. It's January so it's after the holiday rush and my son's birthday. I might have some free time to work on it this weekend!
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-01-11 10:27
    EG has a 5-day sale on this 99-cent laser module for anyone who can't bring themselves to gut a laser pointer to build their sensor. The button cell battery is a bonus.

http://www.goldmine-elec-products.com/prodinfo.asp?number=G19601

Too late. :)

Laser Pointer.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 49K
    edited 2014-01-11 12:00
    Publison wrote: »
    Too late. :)

Finally, someone with some progress to show!

I oughta get DD to make PCBs for this sensor, 'cuz most buyers are going at a glacial pace if at all ! :)
    edited 2014-01-11 20:51
    I oughta get DD to make PCBs for this sensor, 'cuz most buyers are going at a glacial pace if at all ! :)

A PCB would be pretty easy to do.

I figure we'd want two resistor and cap on the board.

One thing I couldn't figure out was is the diagram you posted from the datasheet showed the backside of the sensor or the front of the sensor?

I assumed Vcc is on the far left when looking at the back of the sensor with the leads pointing down. Is this right?

Small PBCs are really cheap from OSH Park. I could post the gerbers all zipped up like OSH Park likes and any of you could submit the files and have three PCBs in two weeks.

What kind of layout would be most useful?

This was my first guess on how to arrange the passives along with the sensor. The mounting holes are sized for 4-40 hardware.

attachment.php?attachmentid=106099&d=1389501804

The board could be smaller if I used smt passives but I added pads for either surface mount or through hole parts.

I'll finish it up once I get the final word on which side of the sensor the Vcc pin is on.

Simple boards like these are really easy to modify so if any of you have ideas for a different layout let me know what it is and I'll probably rearrange the parts accordingly.

After uploading this image, I realize I think I'd rather the mounting holes were moved back a ways.

Am I correct to assume many of you would prefer the passives as through hole parts?

Maybe it would be a good idea to have a separate header for the laser? It would make the board a bit bigger but I think it would make the sensor easier to use.

I'll probably post a couple other variations before I finalize the layout. Let me know if any of you have suggestions.

And which side of the sensor is the Vcc pin on?
    344 x 216 - 9K
    edited 2014-01-11 21:10
    You magnificent fiend! Love your enthusiasm, DD.

Let's do this. Prolly committing to a laser module size & mounting method is the first step. The laser & sensor need to be butted together. I'll get some of the EG modules. Maybe 50. How much to make 50 boards?
    edited 2014-01-12 07:21
    Erco, you'll be happy to know that I took apart a laser pointer this morning, located some perf board, and am in the process of warming up my soldering iron.