Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
The unofficial P2 documentation project - Page 4 — Parallax Forums

The unofficial P2 documentation project

Comments

• Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2012-12-10 19:04
    When I first put it on the SPA registers I thought it was helpful but now I am inclined to not have them there including the bit length on the PTRx registers etc. So we'll clean it up then?
  • SeairthSeairth Posts: 2,474
    edited 2012-12-10 19:09
    When I first put it on the SPA registers I thought it was helpful but now I am inclined to not have them there including the bit length on the PTRx registers etc. So we'll clean it up then?

I think it looks cleaner that way. It also lets you see at a glance what registers there are. Similarly, do we need two boxes for ACCA and ACCB? I realize that they are larger than 32 bits, but I think they are logically considered to be a single register/resource.
    edited 2012-12-10 19:16
    Seairth wrote: »
    I think it looks cleaner that way. It also lets you see at a glance what registers there are. Similarly, do we need two boxes for ACCA and ACCB? I realize that they are larger than 32 bits, but I think they are logically considered to be a single register/resource.
    These two registers form a 64-bit accumulator but the only way to read the high one is to do another consecutive read straight after you read the lower which will result in reading the high 32-bits. I probably need to draw them in a way that conveys that somehow, but for now or until I or someone else thinks of something I will leave it at that. I find it easier to go away and come back and polish progressively.
  • SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2012-12-10 20:27
    Hi Peter.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?125543-Propeller-II-update-BLOG&p=1147326&viewfull=1#post1147326

File Bill Of Materials for PropII_Nano.pdf‎
    Yes, as I understand it too, just double-checking.
    While doing the pinout table for the P2 it reinforces just how general-purpose the I/O pins are. On any other micro I have multiple functions a pin can perform but you can't really transfer those functions to another pin. With the Prop every I/O pin works the same and is truly general-purpose, or should we say, multi-purpose I/O (MPIO).

EDIT: anyone know what type of SPI Flash the P2 boots from?
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2012-12-10 20:38
    IIRC w25Q80
    edited 2012-12-10 20:42
    Hi Cluso

Yes --- Recommended by Chip to PCB I made

Cluso99 wrote: »
    IIRC w25Q80
    edited 2012-12-11 00:21
    I just noticed a redering problem on the CLOCK SPEED (just after the contents directory at the beginning).
    I have IE9. The problem overlaps the 4 indented items/lines. It is the lines which have the (1) superscript notes that are not rendering correctly.
    edited 2012-12-11 00:37
    Hi Peter, Seairth

Can one of You change this line in
    Features ---> Clock Speed

PLL modes: 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x input clock multiplier --> to new specifications --- 1x 2x,3x .... 15x,16x

Even in General

External oscillator or 10MHz to 20MHz crystal. An internal PLL will multiply the input frequency by 1X/2X/4X/8X/16X.
    edited 2012-12-11 00:41
    Found another typo...
    Indirect Registers
    "INDA shares address $1F6 and INDB shares address $1FB."
    $1FB should be $1F7.
    "FIXINDA $1F6,$1F6 // Set pointer tp $1F6, bottom to $1F6, top to $1F6"
    tp should be to

In the RDQUAD instruction details...
    Explanation
    RDQUD syncs to the hub, reads the four
    longs of hub memory at Address and stores it
    into the QUAD registers.

RDQUDshould be RDQUAD
    I will have to learn how to update google docs ;)
    edited 2012-12-11 01:57
    Found another typo...
    Indirect Registers
    "INDA shares address $1F6 and INDB shares address $1FB."
    $1FB should be $1F7.
    "FIXINDA $1F6,$1F6 // Set pointer tp $1F6, bottom to $1F6, top to $1F6"
    tp should be to

In the RDQUAD instruction details...
    Explanation
    RDQUD syncs to the hub, reads the four
    longs of hub memory at Address and stores it
    into the QUAD registers.

RDQUDshould be RDQUAD
    I will have to learn how to update google docs ;)
    Fixed.
    Yes, it's no different to using a word processor except it's online and it's multi-user. Just come and sign-up anyway
    edited 2012-12-11 02:03
    Hi Peter.

In section
    Table: QUAD related Instructions

Add -- 2 New instructions
    Each COG has four QUAD registers which form a 128-bit conduit between the HUB memory and the COG .
    This conduit can transfer four longs every 8 clocks via the WRQUAD/RDQUAD instructions. It can
    also be used as a 4-long/8-word/16-byte read cache, utilized by RDBYTEC/RDWORDC/RDLONGC/RDQUADC .

Initially hidden, these QUAD registers are mappable into COG register space by using the SETQUAD
    instruction to set an address where the base register is to appear, with the other three registers
    following. To hide the QUAD registers, use SETQUAD to set an address which is $1F8, or higher.
    SETQUAZ works just like SETQUAD, but also clears the four QUAD registers.

000011 010 1 CCCC DDDDDDDDD 011100010     SETQUAZ D        'set QUAD base address to D and clears the QUAD registers.        1
    000011 011 1 CCCC nnnnnnnnn 011100010     SETQUAZ #n       'set QUAD base address to 0..511 and clears the QUAD registers.    1

edited 2012-12-11 02:13
    Hi Peter

Even sections
    [h=5]Mapping QUAD Registers[/h]Need re-editing --> Look in previous post
    edited 2012-12-11 04:41
    Peter & Seairth: I have combined all the instruction tables together to form a spreadsheet (as in summary form like the P1 has). As yet I have not fixed some of the formatting and addedclocks etc. Here is the xlsx spreadsheet. I plan to sort them into instruction code order.

I was not sure how to post these on google docs.
    P2_Instructions(2).zip
  • SeairthSeairth Posts: 2,474
    edited 2012-12-11 05:03
    Peter & Seairth: I have combined all the instruction tables together to form a spreadsheet (as in summary form like the P1 has). As yet I have not fixed some of the formatting and addedclocks etc. Here is the xlsx spreadsheet. I plan to sort them into instruction code order.

I was not sure how to post these on google docs.
    P2_Instructions(2).zip

Nice list. In answer to your question about adding it to the document: I don't know. I had started a similar summary table at the beginning of the Assembly Language Reference section. You might be able to replace it with your spreadsheet contents by adding empty rows, then copy-pasting the same number of rows from the spreadsheet. (Note that you may need to use Google Chrome with the Google Drive applet installed in order to get intelligent copy-past capabilities.)
    edited 2012-12-11 06:54
    As you know we are in need of volunteers, there's quite a bit to building the P2 document, there's gathering the raw information, inputting this, formatting it, changing other parts to suit, drawing diagrams, creating tables, checking for errors, etc. Now some have indicated that while they are willing they are also trepid when it comes to editing the on-line document, not having worked with Google docs before. To allay those fears I have just made a copy of the document simply for training and no sign-in is required. So the idea is to give it a go and if the training wheels fall off, well then we'll just screw em back on again.

Here's the link to the P2 documentation project - training copy

BTW, once you are confident with this then just request edit permission from the real document. If you are doing little corrections then you can just work around us while we are working on the document. Otherwise look for an area you would like to work on and just use the chat window to let use know so we can stay coordinated.
  • ctwardellctwardell Posts: 1,716
    edited 2012-12-11 07:20
    Peter,

Do you have some sort of task list?

Maybe we could add a task list to the document for now and people could sign-up for tasks.

C.W.
    edited 2012-12-11 07:49
    ctwardell wrote: »
    Peter,

Do you have some sort of task list?

Maybe we could add a task list to the document for now and people could sign-up for tasks.

C.W.
    Yes, the first task to do is to do up a task list! Seriously, this document needs a bit of an objective look over to see what bits are missing and what needs to go where etc. Not that we aren't aware of some stuff but we have had our noses so close to the grindstone that it needs a fresh look. So the task list can be appended to the end of the document where we can put our name against those tasks that we will take on. There's no problem with several people working on it at the same time as far as I can tell.
    edited 2012-12-11 12:55
    Thanks guys...
    OK, I will take ownership to complete the table for the summary of the assembler instructions (similar to the summary we have for P1).
    edited 2012-12-11 14:19
    Do we have any documentation on the counters yet? Specifically the SIN and COS registers.

C.W.
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2012-12-11 18:09
    Do we have any documentation on the counters yet? Specifically the SIN and COS registers.

C.W.

I am interested in this topic too. I haven't seen anything yet.
    There is sooo much in the P2 that the documentation is going to be overwhelming.

Bean
    edited 2012-12-11 18:40
    Bean wrote: »
    I am interested in this topic too. I haven't seen anything yet.
    There is sooo much in the P2 that the documentation is going to be overwhelming.

Bean
    Well it won't be as overwhelming if we all chip in and just think of the insight that we gain when we are contributing, we won't be caught out not having RTM'd as we will have WTM'd! The other benefit is that through the use of diagrams and examples we can turn the document into something more than a manual, it can be the user manual with application notes along with lots of links to external documents and pages etc.

As for the SIN/COS registers we are waiting on Chip for this information which he has said he will post here. So even if he has revised some earlier parts of his document it would be good if this was just done as a new post so that way we have an audit trail back to the earlier documents.
    edited 2012-12-12 00:12
    Here is the latest P2 instruction summary (sorted by op code). I am really glad I posted the file earlier as I was out today and had some free time to do some work on it - so just downloaded it from the forum :)

P2_Instructions(3).zip
    edited 2012-12-12 00:37
    I am trying to add my Excel spreadsheet as a table. I have no idea how this is done. Do I need to install Google Drive?
    I am logged into the google - the P2 training document.
    edited 2012-12-12 04:37
    I am trying to add my Excel spreadsheet as a table. I have no idea how this is done. Do I need to install Google Drive?
    I am logged into the google - the P2 training document.
    I'm trying just to select about 20 rows at present and pasting them in at the bottom of the training copy. Looks like I have to then change the width of each column because at first it is very narrow. Have a look anyway. Once it looks right we can then just copy and paste into the main document. So that's the other use for the training copy too.

I converted this and did a simple import into a new Google spreadsheet here
    Just have a look and you can edit it without sign-in
    I'm still working on an alternative way of importing the document in a usable form
    edited 2012-12-12 05:39
    I just realized that the training copy that I linked earlier only had permissions to view and not to edit for anyone with the link, so I have changed the permissions to edit for anyone. Obviously nobody tried to edit I guess!

Here's the link to the training copy http://goo.gl/QKXgH
    edited 2012-12-12 06:00
    I managed to paste a small set of rows in and found the same as you - they were single character columns. However, it is so painfully slow that it is impossible to work with from here. Not sure if it is my computer or my internet or else just google. I will finish the spreadsheet first.
    edited 2012-12-12 06:02
    I just realized that the training copy that I linked earlier only had permissions to view and not to edit for anyone with the link, so I have changed the permissions to edit for anyone. Obviously nobody tried to edit I guess!

Here's the link to the training copy http://goo.gl/QKXgH

Peter, it might be good to edit the first post to include the link to the training copy.

C.W.
    edited 2012-12-12 06:44
    Peter, it might be good to edit the first post to include the link to the training copy.

C.W.
    Done!
    edited 2012-12-12 06:55
    I managed to paste a small set of rows in and found the same as you - they were single character columns. However, it is so painfully slow that it is impossible to work with from here. Not sure if it is my computer or my internet or else just google. I will finish the spreadsheet first.
    I do have a spreadsheet version of this online rather than a spreadsheet in a document. It's here http://goo.gl/Y6nXj
    edited 2012-12-12 08:28
    I don't know of any alternatives, but I have to say I'm very disappointed with Google Docs, it doesn't seem to like to import much of anything using cut/paste.

I was hoping to do some work in Word where I can do a ton of work quickly using VBA and then paste back into Google Docs, but round trips are awful.

I tried LibreOffice just for giggles and it is even worse.

Arggg

C.W.