Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller II: Emulation of the P2 on FPGA boards (Prop123-A7/A9, DE0-NANO, DE2-115, etc) - Page 18 — Parallax Forums

Propeller II: Emulation of the P2 on FPGA boards (Prop123-A7/A9, DE0-NANO, DE2-115, etc)

Comments

• SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2013-01-24 15:16
    Hi Chip.

On PCB I made only Standard SPI is used.
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,131
    edited 2013-01-24 16:45
    Sapieha wrote: »
    Hi Chip.

On PCB I made only Standard SPI is used.

I've got it figured out now. There are many confusing pinout diagrams out there, but I've got the locations and names of the four pins of importance.
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2013-01-24 17:05
    cgracey wrote: »
    I've got it figured out now. There are many confusing pinout diagrams out there, but I've got the locations and names of the four pins of importance.

The Spinneret product provides all pins on the SDCard interface plus a card detect. The card detect circuit would be useful for your propeller computer. Just using the 4 pin interface limits us in the kind of hardware we can deploy (A QuadSPI Flash or other peripherals SDCard footprint for example).

I'm fine with the 4 pin interface of course if that makes the most sense.

What did the DE2-115 FPGA config image you provided before use?
    edited 2013-01-24 17:26
    Hi Chip.

If You have any questions on PIN's used --- ask -- I can make list if that can help.

And one Question ... Will pin's that will be used to DAC's have possibility even be addressed as standard I/O pins?

edited 2013-01-25 10:11
    jazzed wrote: »
    The Spinneret product provides all pins on the SDCard interface plus a card detect. The card detect circuit would be useful for your propeller computer. Just using the 4 pin interface limits us in the kind of hardware we can deploy (A QuadSPI Flash or other peripherals SDCard footprint for example).

I'm fine with the 4 pin interface of course if that makes the most sense.

What did the DE2-115 FPGA config image you provided before use?

The DE2-115 configuration file I made for David Betz (which he posted for anyone else that was interested) connected all seven pins. I'll just keep them all, and arrange them as such in the next DE2-115 configuration file that uses the new add-on board we made:

(Prop2 pin = xxxx)

63 = DATA3 (SPI CS)
    62 = DATA2
    61 = DATA1
    60 = DATA0 (SPI DO)
    59 = CMD (SPI DI)
    58 = CLK (SPI SCLK)
    57 = WP
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2013-01-25 10:37
    The DE2-115 configuration file I made for David Betz (which he posted for anyone else that was interested) connected all seven pins. I'll just keep them all, and arrange them as such in the next DE2-115 configuration file that uses the new add-on board we made:

(Prop2 pin = xxxx)

63 = DATA3 (SPI CS)
    62 = DATA2
    61 = DATA1
    60 = DATA0 (SPI DO)
    59 = CMD (SPI DI)
    58 = CLK (SPI SCLK)
    57 = WP
    Sounds good!
  • David CarrierDavid Carrier Posts: 294
    edited 2013-01-25 13:51
    Chip,
    There haven't been any restrictions on using an SD-card in 4-bit mode (which uses all of the pins) since the SD association released their specifications for it in 2006. It hasn't been implemented on the Propeller yet, since it wouldn't be faster than SPI, at least when using only one cog. The protocol was designed to be implemented in silicon, so the CRCs (which are required in 4-bit mode) are calculated separately for the data transmitted on each pin, instead of together for the data as a whole. (Each of the four CRCs ends up covering every fourth bit.) With an extra cog or two thrown in to calculate CRCs, or a faster Propeller II, an SD-card in 4-bit mode could be as fast as quad-SPI flash memory.

— David Carrier
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2013-02-07 12:36
    I've broken down and ordered a DE2-115 ... the DE0-Nano's are fun, but I found a single cog limiting for some of what I want to try.

I should receive it on Monday :)
    edited 2013-02-12 18:42
    Better late than never...

The DE2-115 I ordered last week arrived today!!!
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,253
    edited 2013-02-12 20:33
    Nice! Be sure and load the SD card capable image.
    edited 2013-02-13 11:40
    Better late than never...

The DE2-115 I ordered last week arrived today!!!
    Nice! When can we expect to see your CLUT-based interpreter? :-)
    edited 2013-02-14 06:42
    I am afraid that has been placed on the back burner for now.

Right now I am setting up my new lab (about 700sq ft), including the new SMT assembly area :)
    David Betz wrote: »
    Nice! When can we expect to see your CLUT-based interpreter? :-)
    edited 2013-02-14 07:55
    Any news on further P2 instruction set documentation? What about status on the DE2-115 add-on board? I'm anxious to get started on XMM for P2! :-)
  • TubularTubular Posts: 4,620
    edited 2013-02-19 21:45
    The 1280x1024 demo code in the latest doc from Chip.... is there any way to get that to work with the DE0 / DE2 boards, or we need to wait for physical silicon?

I gather from the comments it's using onboard DACs, but then again the frequency is 60MHz which tends to indicate Terasic board...

Anyone else tried this yet?
    edited 2013-02-20 07:18
    Today is the 20th so I guess they're busy making the first P2 chips starting today! Yay!
  • Ym2413aYm2413a Posts: 630
    edited 2013-02-20 12:10
    Sweet!! I really hope those silicons are being printed as we speak. : ]
    I'm excited!
  • Martin HodgeMartin Hodge Posts: 1,246
    edited 2013-02-20 12:23
    Tubular wrote: »
    The 1280x1024 demo code in the latest doc from Chip.... is there any way to get that to work with the DE0 / DE2 boards, or we need to wait for physical silicon?

I gather from the comments it's using onboard DACs, but then again the frequency is 60MHz which tends to indicate Terasic board...

Have you tried running running the code and probing the outputs?
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2013-02-20 12:31
    Tubular wrote: »

I thought Chip had said in the other thread that he was using one of the add-on boards for either the DE0 or DE2 that should be available to us faithful emulators any time real soon, now.
  • TubularTubular Posts: 4,620
    edited 2013-02-20 15:17
    Have you tried running running the code and probing the outputs?

Yes that's pretty much exactly what I have done.

I upgraded the DE2 to the latest POF that David Posted (the one with the SD card support), as it also breaks out some other connections via port B (leds, switches,buttons, SD card). It was in the hope some DAC pins were also broken out.

I loaded the sample code in successfully, then probed pins on the VGA output plug and 40 pin header.

There are DC voltages on the VGA plug - the red signal on pin 1 about 1.43v DC, the green on pin 2 has about 1.97v DC, blue is 0.0v DC, and the syncs each have about 3.1v DC on them, but there isn't any modulation happening, its all DC. The fact those votlages are there at boot even when Prop2 *isn't* running makes me think they are just configured that way or float to those levels.

On the 40 pin header the signals (P0..31) were floating. I added a neg pina,#1 to the sample code to set those pins to outputs, but still couldn't see any modulation there.

I tried the DE0 too and couldn't see anything modulated either.

@MindRobots
    Yes I look forward to those boards, but I'm desperate enough to solder my own resistor networks if that's all that's stopping the vga output.

The real trouble is I'm not quite sure if the DAC pins are mapped out yet or not, and if so whether the sample code needs some tweaks to reflect that.
    edited 2013-02-20 15:39
    Tubular and Others,

We'll need to send you all special add-on boards we are building right now. They should be ready to ship this week.

We'll also need to post configuration files to go with them.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,767
    edited 2013-03-09 10:54
    I've got the DE0 emulation board (Thanks Chip!) and a DE0. I think I can find the software I need in the first post of this thread (thanks Cluso).

Only problem I have is I don't know which way to plug the DE0 into the emulation board...
    Can anybody tell me which way it goes in?

Hopefully, I can try out some of those VGA drivers in the other thread this week...
  • Martin HodgeMartin Hodge Posts: 1,246
    edited 2013-03-09 10:57
    There's an arrow labeled "DE0-NANO USB" Align the USB connector on the DE0 with this arrow.
    edited 2013-03-09 10:59
    Hi Rayman.

Look on picture Chip posted.
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/146197-DE0-Nano-and-DE2-115-add-on-boards-for-Prop2-emulation-are-ready!?p=1165738&viewfull=1#post1165738
    Be even sure You have installed that srtap that this picture show on 23 pin connector

Rayman wrote: »
    I've got the DE0 emulation board (Thanks Chip!) and a DE0. I think I can find the software I need in the first post of this thread (thanks Cluso).

Only problem I have is I don't know which way to plug the DE0 into the emulation board...

Hopefully, I can try out some of those VGA drivers in the other thread this week...
    edited 2013-03-09 11:02
    Rayman wrote: »

There is a legend marking on the add-on board that shows that the DE0-Nano board's USB connector should be up from the arrow. You could also plug in the DE0-Nano to the add-on board so that the add-on board's text reads normally and the DE0-Nano's 2x13 header is located on the bottom, if you are holding the add-on board in front of you.
    edited 2013-03-09 11:04
    Sapieha wrote: »
    Hi Rayman.

Look on picture Chip posted.
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/146197-DE0-Nano-and-DE2-115-add-on-boards-for-Prop2-emulation-are-ready!?p=1165738&viewfull=1#post1165738
    Be even sure You have installed that srtap that this picture show on 23 pin connector

And be sure to put a jumper across pins 3 and 5 of the 2x13 header, like in the picture.
    edited 2013-03-09 11:07
    Hi Chip

Sorry my bad .........Not 23 but 26 else as You write 2x13
    And be sure to put a jumper across pins 3 and 5 of the 2x13 header, like in the picture.
  • jstjohnzjstjohnz Posts: 91
    edited 2013-03-30 00:17
    Late to the party, but up and running with the DE2, at least as far as getting into rom monitor. One question though. Prop plug works if plugged into the header on the DE2, but not if plugged into the 4-pin header on the add-on board.
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,253
    edited 2013-03-30 00:45
    You need the add on board FPGA cfg file.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/146197-DE0-Nano-and-DE2-115-add-on-boards-for-Prop2-emulation-are-ready!?p=1168136&viewfull=1#post1168136

Connect the Prop Plug with the label facing toward the center of the add on board. You should see the blinking LED's facing you.
  • fpalmansfpalmans Posts: 10
    edited 2013-03-30 08:43
    Hi everyone,

I am Frank, a Belgian in the Bay Area. I have been eagerly awaiting the prop 2 ever since I first started playing with the prop 1. I have found some additional time for the coming three to four months... So, I was wondering if still makes sense to jump onto the emulation bandwagon? Or, is it likely we can duel for samples at the official propeller conference (ergo: I should train in stead of play)?

Frank.
    edited 2013-03-30 08:44
    fpalmans wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I am Frank, a Belgian in the Bay Area. I have been eagerly awaiting the prop 2 ever since I first started playing with the prop 1. I have found some additional time for the coming three to four months... So, I was wondering if still makes sense to jump onto the emulation bandwagon? Or, is it likely we can duel for samples at the official propeller conference (ergo: I should train in stead of play)?

Frank.
    Unfortunately, I don't think real P2 chips will be available at OPC so feel free to jump on the FPGA emulation bandwagon! We'll welcome you aboard!