Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Assembly for beginners - Page 22 — Parallax Forums

Propeller Assembly for beginners

Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2013-01-04 08:59
    Of course there will be peer reviews. After publication. As soon your peers buy them there will be reviews posted here and elsewhere I'm sure. Is it not better to shake out the bugs prior to publication?
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,204
    edited 2013-01-04 10:48
    I'm just glad somebody is doing a book... If there are errors, I'm sure he can do a second edition or addendum...
  • frank freedmanfrank freedman Posts: 1,982
    edited 2013-01-04 14:30
    If there are errors? So readers can pay again? An addendum requiring readers to flip back and forth between two documents or online and a book? What would be so wrong with a reasonable assurance of product quality such as has NOT been demonstrated throughout the run of this thread? In spite of the advise and assistance of some of whom will always be far more advanced than I.

Have our expectations of quality product fallen so far? Mine have not. When a document leads me to expect quality and value and the author stands behind his work with his personal guarantee, then I will be happy to support the efforts with my hard earned cash. Not before, certainly not with this author.

Frank Freedman
  • FredBlaisFredBlais Posts: 370
    edited 2013-01-04 14:43
    If there are errors? So readers can pay again? An addendum requiring readers to flip back and forth between two documents or online and a book? What would be so wrong with a reasonable assurance of product quality such as has NOT been demonstrated throughout the run of this thread? In spite of the advise and assistance of some of whom will always be far more advanced than I.

Have our expectations of quality product fallen so far? Mine have not. When a document leads me to expect quality and value and the author stands behind his work with his personal guarantee, then I will be happy to support the efforts with my hard earned cash. Not before, certainly not with this author.

Frank Freedman

I'm getting a bit tired of your replies. Would you please be a little more polite? If I can learn one new thing from this book, I'll be more than happy. If all the examples in the book are tested, I'm sure it can be a useful resource. I like to have code snippets so I can take a look to see how feature "x" works. The more there is documentation on the Propeller, the better it is. For a complete newbie, a book like this is what it takes to get going with prop asm.

Fred
  • MicksterMickster Posts: 2,658
    edited 2013-01-04 15:30
    FredBlais wrote: »
    I'm getting a bit tired of your replies. Would you please be a little more polite? If I can learn one new thing from this book, I'll be more than happy. If all the examples in the book are tested, I'm sure it can be a useful resource. I like to have code snippets so I can take a look to see how feature "x" works. The more there is documentation on the Propeller, the better it is. For a complete newbie, a book like this is what it takes to get going with prop asm.

Fred

Hear, hear!!!!!

Thank you Harprit for doing something that is NEEDED and that no-one else has bothered to do....which reminds me, I was serious when I suggested getting together with Bean to help put PropBASIC where it needs to be :-)

Mickster
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2013-01-04 18:00
    Cool Harprit, Will they be available by May? The 2013 Robot Expo is just around the corner... :)

-Tommy
  • richaj45richaj45 Posts: 179
    edited 2013-01-04 18:20
    Hello:

I would be more than happy to purchase the first edition.

Thank you very much for putting this together. I know i could not do it.

Regards,
    Rich
  • frank freedmanfrank freedman Posts: 1,982
    edited 2013-01-04 20:23
    @FredBlais: I do not believe that I have been impolite (a standard of judgment based mainly on one's own perception) in any way over the course of this thread. Certainly I am not alone in this point of view. However, facts are stubborn things and my opinions are based on the content of this thread. I will only recommend potential buyers review the contents of this thread even disregarding any input by me personally.

Have a good weekend,

Frank

FredBlais wrote: »

Fred
  • teganburnsteganburns Posts: 134
    edited 2013-01-05 03:30
    Could i have a link to you book on spin please?
  • HarpritHarprit Posts: 539
    edited 2013-01-05 07:47
    Parallax store:books
    H
    edited 2013-01-05 15:28
    @Heater. Yes there will be reviews but they will be by users. I hope many readers will post lengthy critiques. There is no need to shake things out. The programs are simple and I run each and every one of them before pasting them directly into the book. They are tested and they will work.

@ Rayman and other supporters Thanks again guys you keep me going.

@ Frank F. I went over the entire forum subject and revisited the many helpful things you provided to the discussion. I don't understand why you are hung up on your present tirade. Just plain tone deafness I guess. You're OK with me.

@ Mickster. One thing at a time. I'll get with Bean. He may think differently.

@Ttailspin. Yes and I want the darn thing out of here as soon as possible.

A note. The return on the books I have written, (Search me in Amazon) so far is about a dollar an hour for the time they take. That is why no one does it.

So the question is.... why do I?

I do it to keep my 73 year old brain from going bonkers. For that I need something I know nothing about. PASM was a good fit. Some of the simple programs took me days in the beginning but I tend not to give up and it has gotten much better as I learn what its all about!

H.
  • FORDFORD Posts: 221
    edited 2013-01-05 17:10
    Pencil me in for a book thanks Harprit.
    If possible, I would love to receive a PM when you have it available.
  • RonPRonP Posts: 384
    edited 2013-01-05 18:44
    Hello all,

@Harprit, put me down for a copy. Also would like to ask if you could make a list of hardware and components used in the book. So I can see if I have the stuff already or if I need to order somethings. I found with your book on spin I didn't have some of the hardware/components, would like to be ready when the book is released.

Thanks

Ron
    edited 2013-01-06 10:49
    I will post a parts list as soon as I get the final verbiage done
    H
  • CircuitsoftCircuitsoft Posts: 1,166
    edited 2013-01-06 11:16
    Harprit wrote: »
    Word has an index generation capability. I tried it. I thought it stinks.
    Well, There's your problem. Word isn't for writing (at least it's not too good for it). Try LyX. It's actually made for writing documents with a focus on technical documentation. Select words for index entries, and add index entries by/for them. At the end of the document, insert an "Index." When you Compile the document (create a PDF), it will produce the index for you with proper page numbers, and everything.
    edited 2013-01-14 13:11
    What does code have to be bracketed with to show up right on the forum postings.
    I forget. Senior moment!
    H
  • MagIO2MagIO2 Posts: 2,243
    edited 2013-01-14 13:46
    [ code ][ /code ] without whitespace.
    edited 2013-01-14 13:57
    Run this code. It turns pin 20 on.
    Look at the display terminal PST and note that more than one bit is on on the first line.
    CON
      _clkmode = xtal1 + pll16x
      _xinfreq = 5_000_000
      bits = 32
      Vars = 8

VAR
      long  stack1[55]
      long P_Val[8]
      byte  pot_sub

OBJ
      fds : "FullDuplexSerial"

PUB Go|x                                                         
    fds.start(31,30,0,115200)           'start PST console at 115200 for output 
    cognew(@init, @p_Val)               'use address to start Cog             
     repeat                                                                  
       fds.tx(16)                        'clear screen      
       fds.str(string("Display results"))        'heading                                                                                              
       fds.str(string("   "))            'two spaces to erase old data overflow                     
       fds.tx(1)                         'home                                  
       fds.tx($d)                        'new line                        
       fds.tx($d)                        'new line         
       pot_sub:=0
       repeat vars                       'loop to display data                                                                                                                        
         fds.bin(P_val[pot_sub], bits)   'print to the PST in binary                                                                                                                  
         fds.str(string("   "))          'two spaces to erase old data overflow                                                                                                       
         fds.dec(P_val[pot_sub])         'print value as decimal value                                                                                                                
         fds.str(string("   "))          'two spaces to erase old data overflow                                                                                                       
         fds.dec(pot_sub)                'print value as decimal value                                                                                                                
         fds.str(string("   "))          'three spaces to erase old data overflow                                                                                                                  
         fds.tx($d)                                                                                                                                                      
         pot_sub:=(pot_sub)+1            'increment display counter                                                
       waitcnt(clkfreq/60+cnt)           'wait 1/20 for everything to stabilize. 
       x:=x+1                      'increment counter. (This routine clears up the screen    )
       if x>100                    'decision point     (by erasing extraneous lines of       )
         fds.tx(16)                'clear screen       (bottom of PST display every 100 loops)
         x:=0                      'reset counter      (needed only once in most cases.      )

DAT           org       0
    init          mov       mem,            par            'Read Par
                  mov       dira,           set_dir_out    'Set directions
                  mov       outa,           set_dir_bit    'set pins
                  mov       temp,           ina            'Read ina into temp
                  wrlong    temp,           mem             'store temp in hub #0
    rest          jmp       #init                           'stop program.

'constants and variables
    set_Dir_out   long      000000_00010000_00000000_00000000  
    set_Dir_bit   long      000000_00010000_00000000_00000000

temp          res       1 
    mem           res       1     

Now if you run your finger along the prop inputs you will see that other pins come on even though they have been set as inputs and there is no input to them from the circuitry.
    The stray capacitance turns the lines on and this could be a big problem when they are read.
    If however the pins are set up as outputs, this does not happen.
    Does this mean that I need to tell beginners that all the pins that are not going to be used as inputs must be set up as outputs. On start up all pins are inputs so it needs handling.

Since I am not an electronics guy, need someone more knowledgeable than me to make the call.

H
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 9,030
    edited 2013-01-14 14:24
    You really should consider putting your code between tags [ code ] and [ /code ] (without the spaces) if you want popel to get something from it. Spin is an indent-sensitive language so presentation formatting becomes important.
    edited 2013-01-14 14:39
    Sorry, Fixed it, I thought I had but apparently I did not get it right.
    H
  • John AbshierJohn Abshier Posts: 1,116
    edited 2013-01-14 15:28
    If a pin is an input and left floating, not pulled high or to ground, its value when read is random as you have noticed. My solution is not to read unused pins.

Here is one answer http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/100677-Unused-pins-on-Propeller-chip and another http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/121060-Reducing-propeller-power-consumption

John Abshier
    edited 2013-01-15 08:44
    @John

There are some interesting implications to what you have said. Does this mean that before we start a program we should set all the outputs as being low, and then set the direction as being outputs. Will this ensure that you have started out with a safe situation, even if some of the outputs are short to ground. Note that we are setting the outputs first and activating them second. I asked this because I want to make sure that I get it right for beginners.

The other thing of interest is that you say you never read unused output pins. I can see that there would be no problem with doing that but I wonder if there are times when pins get read in groups, and that this could causes problems even if you are not using certain pins. From this follows the fact that all readings of pins have to be masked to eliminate all unnecessary pins before the information is used.

If I have made some silly assumptions here. Please make a correct me. You will have noticed that there is some pressure on me, on this forum, to get it right!

Thank you
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,204
    edited 2013-01-15 09:00
    I think it's fine to leave unused pins floating. However, if I were really worried about saving power, I might put a pull-up or pull-down resistor on them, maybe a 100k, just so they wouldn't be doing work in the silicon inside. Making them outputs would do the same thing. But, for beginners, I think leaving them floating is best.
  • John AbshierJohn Abshier Posts: 1,116
    edited 2013-01-15 09:06
    >>> From this follows the fact that all readings of pins have to be masked to eliminate all unnecessary pins before the information is used.
    Yes.

From the propeller manual: All the OUTA register’s bits default to zero (0) upon cog startup.

John Abshier
  • FORDFORD Posts: 221
    edited 2013-01-17 06:21
    Well, There's your problem. Word isn't for writing (at least it's not too good for it). Try LyX. It's actually made for writing documents with a focus on technical documentation. Select words for index entries, and add index entries by/for them. At the end of the document, insert an "Index." When you Compile the document (create a PDF), it will produce the index for you with proper page numbers, and everything.

Agree Totally, Lyx takes some getting used to, but once you get familiar with it, you will never use anything else.
    It lays out documents perfectly and consistently, and is awesome for pasting code into a document from another Lyx document.

Its one of those programs you have to use to see just how good it is.

And its free, but nice to donate to the developers.

Cheers,
    Chris
  • MagIO2MagIO2 Posts: 2,243
    edited 2013-01-17 10:53
    If you want to give advices to beginners, then I'd propose this one:

If possible use resistors directly behind any pin, before attaching some other device. (say 100-200Ohm). This protects the Propeller in case you produce a "shortcut" - either when rewiring your hardware as well as when you have a software bug.

THIS SAVES PROPELLER LIVES!
    ;o)
    edited 2013-01-18 06:28
    @Mag102

I will certainly do that. Thank you.

H
    edited 2013-01-18 10:15
    I just posted to the current discussion in
    [h=3]Running MCP3208.spin continously in a cog[/h]Post Number 7

re reading the 3208 in PASM that might be of interest to beginners
    I did not want to re-post here again to keep down the clutter.

H
    edited 2013-01-22 14:15
    I am in the process of going over the book and updating and cleaning up all the code to make sure it includes everything that I learned. During this process I learned that it makes a difference as to what sequence one starts the various cogs. This is especially true if the methods needed are in exterior objects specified under OBJ.

What I would like to know is, is there a recommended way to start the system so that all the cogs will come on and do their job as expected. It seems that having a delay after all the cogs have been started is not enough.

H
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,260
    edited 2013-01-22 14:43
    IMHO, you should have a chapter on this. The COG start order really depends on the dependencies the COGS have with one another, various timing factors and how they communicate. There is no simple rule.

Frankly, I find developing that text challenging. IMHO, the optimal approach is one where some COG samples are developed that communicate in a few different ways that can be combined to illustrate the basic concepts needed in the text. There is the single producer, multiple consumer model and it's a simple one. There is the handshake. There is COGS operating in sequence, with an initalization protocol required to synchronize them. In fact, synchronization is a topic by itself...