Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Assembly for beginners - Page 21 — Parallax Forums

Propeller Assembly for beginners

Comments

• HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2012-09-01 23:02
    Harprit wrote: »
    I decided to take a break from the writing (it was getting me burned out) and design and build a state of the art, larger format 3D printer for the hobbyists. Its nominal build size is 12 by 12 by 8 inches and it will be of interest to the group interesting in writing the software for a Prop based 3D printer. It takes only a 7/16 inch (11 mm) wrench to assemble and dis-assemble the entire printer! Its easy and requires minimal skill. Overall dimensions about 18 by 18 by 28 inches. So its a big table top machine. Very smooth operation. It has almost 80 ball bearings in it! Everything is on bearings for a very smooth and easy action. It is almost done and when it is I will post pictures on the discussion forum for the above software effort. Copies of the printer will be available to interested parties without the processor board but with motors (Nema 34) and optical limit switches in place. I am hoping to keep the cost to under $1000.00 for a semi assemble kit. Semi assembled because otherwise it would be too large to ship inexpensively. It would take a huge box. H

My budget is $100 for a Prop based 3D printer. Can't you scale the DIY kit down, make it more affordable, use more common resources, and bring it into the range of Propeller hobbyists?
  • HarpritHarprit Posts: 539
    edited 2012-09-02 11:04
    This is getting off topic ...but...Though it might be possible to scrounge together an inexpensive printer it would be very difficult
    to impossible to put one in production for $100.00 for everyone.

Consider this as beginning costs estimates for a minimal system.
    And I mean so absolutely minimal like you would NOT want.
    4 minimal motors $40.00
    Stops, 3 optical $15.00
    At least 40 bearings at $1.00 $40.00
    Extruder $60.00
    Structural members
    Connecting hardware
    Rails
    Machining costs. There will be some
    Handling
    Labor
    Design time and expertise.
    Maintain a viable spares program

$1000.00 for everything but the processor is tight and not at all out of line for a large solid printer
    Commercial units this size offer better resolution but are in the $30 to 40K range
    My quotation from internet CNC shops were ridiculously high. In the thousands! For a simple machine!
    So much so that I was forced to convert my small approx (6 by 25 table) manual mill to a 2 axis
    CNC mill to do the work I needed done.
    Its Prop based with DC servo motors and works like a champ. Follows G codes and canned cycles.
    Its easy to modify (the great part)

H
    edited 2012-09-02 17:38
    Harprit
    Thanks for putting more perspective on the resources necessary to create a 3D printer using mechanical technology. Perhaps I need to wait for the next generation technology machine. I imagine it would form the image using a type of Hologram that can be solidified.
    Humanoido
  • frank freedmanfrank freedman Posts: 1,977
    edited 2012-09-02 20:57
    edited 2012-09-06 07:53
    Frank, good find. Getting the cost down to $500 is a step in the right direction. I figure eventually these will go for $29 just like some HP printers. However, the cartridges could cost $129 to make up the cost.
    edited 2012-09-06 20:31
    Humanoido wrote: »
    Frank, good find. Getting the cost down to $500 is a step in the right direction. I figure eventually these will go for $29 just like some HP printers. However, the cartridges could cost $129 to make up the cost.

That last would be truth in advertising. You don't buy HP inkjet printers, you are buying an ink di$pen$er.
    edited 2013-01-02 11:18
    Here is a progress report on the book
    Today I finished writing the last chapter.
    Now I need to go back and check everything and revise as needed to reflect everything I have learned
    Pick up mistakes
    Run all the programs again to make sure they work
    Then get a really good index done by a professional outfit.
    Get the first copies printed.
    Ship

Does any one have a recommendation on a professional indexer
    Does any one have a recommendation on a good printer

If you have an interest in the book could you drop me a line (no commitment) so that I can get a feel of how many books I need to print in the first go around.

Thanks to everyone for the help given me. Without your efforts.............

H
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,943
    edited 2013-01-02 11:27
    I helped my best friend, Cliff Osmond, format his book, "Acting is Everything." We used www.lulu.com. It all went very smoothly. By purchasing their world-wide distribution option the ISBN was handled and the book is available through any brick-and-mortal supplier or online retailer.

If I decide to self-publish "JonnyMac's Propeller Attack!" I will go this route.
    edited 2013-01-02 13:56
    While it is not shown in your list of remaining things to do, are you planning to have this peer reviewed by anyone with significant experience on this device?

FF
    Here is a progress report on the book
    Today I finished writing the last chapter.
    Now I need to go back and check everything and revise as needed to reflect everything I have learned
    Pick up mistakes
    Run all the programs again to make sure they work
    Get the first copies printed.
    Ship

Does any one have a recommendation on a professional indexer
    Does any one have a recommendation on a good printer

If you have an interest in the book could you drop me a line (no commitment) so that I can get a feel of how many books I need to print in the first go around.

H
    edited 2013-01-02 14:11
    I am certainly open to a good idea but it might be difficult to get a commitment to get it done" like now".
    Lets see how it goes.

It will be about 260 pages
    8.5 by 11 inches and no space wasted.
    Every line of code is commented.
    It would be a lot of work.

H
  • Dave HeinDave Hein Posts: 6,347
    edited 2013-01-02 14:35
    Couldn't you just write a program to generate an index? You would probably do a better job than any professional outfit would do.
    edited 2013-01-02 14:41
    Its really hard to do a good index and if you are going to have one it needs to be good. Really good and extensive.
    McGraw Hill will not even let its authors try. They do it and charge you back! Big bucks. But you get a half ways decent index.
    Word has an index generation capability. I tried it. I thought it stinks. But then again I'm not an expert. Anyways, its not for beginners.

Harprit.
  • Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2013-01-02 14:46
    re: If you have an interest in the book could you drop me a line (no commitment) so that I can get a feel of how many books I need to print in the first go around.

I'm in. :)
  • SteveWoodroughSteveWoodrough Posts: 190
    edited 2013-01-02 16:39
    Harprit,
    Put me down for a copy too. Really enjoyed your first book, and looking very much forward to this project.
    Regards,
    Steve
  • TrapperBobTrapperBob Posts: 140
    edited 2013-01-02 17:32
    I am in for 1
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2013-01-02 17:58
    If you have an interest in the book could you drop me a line (no commitment) so that I can get a feel of how many books I need to print in the first go around
    I'm good for one.
    edited 2013-01-02 18:00
    Really enjoyed your first book...
    Got a link to that? Is it a Propeller book?

Paul
    edited 2013-01-02 18:04
    Yes its a book on SPIN for beginners
    The parallax we site:Store: Microprocessors: Propeller: Books: has an extensive table of contents
    Buy it from them

Harprit
    edited 2013-01-02 18:07
    Found it! I have the kindle version! I enjoyed it thank you. Look forward to your new book with great enthusiasm!
  • Francis BauerFrancis Bauer Posts: 353
    edited 2013-01-02 22:39

I enjoyed your first book on SPIN and would certainly buy your new one on Assembly...
  • JordanCClarkJordanCClark Posts: 198
    edited 2013-01-03 02:39
    Add me to the list as well!
  • propelliflypropellifly Posts: 25
    edited 2013-01-03 05:23
    I'd buy the book as well!
  • FredBlaisFredBlais Posts: 370
    edited 2013-01-03 06:19
    I will definitely buy it!
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,959
    edited 2013-01-03 07:10
    There is definitely a need for a Propeller Assembly book. Glad to hear it's almost ready.
    edited 2013-01-03 07:31
    Sorry about the table of contents!!
    Here it is

Table of contents

Preface
    Terms of use MIT license

Part one primary resources
    The most basic question
    Caution
    Primary resources
    The Propeller manual (PM)
    Harprit Sandhu's SPIN language guide for beginners
    The 36 page Propeller data-sheet
    The Propeller Forum on the internet
    The official guide to the Propeller by Parallax.
    The Kindle and iPad
    The Propeller OBEX
    Hardware and software
    Note

Part two secondary resources
    Parallax Serial Terminal and the Duplex Full Serial object
    Professional Development Board
    VOM and Oscilloscope
    The PAR instruction
    How the Par instruction works
    Accessioning COG memory
    Accessing HUB memory
    Further notes on using PAR command.
    Storing and reading variables for several cogs (three in this case) files with the PAR pointer.
    MCP 3208 and potentiometers
    Using the FullDuplexSerial Object and the Parallax Serial Terminal
    Reading analog voltages. Reading potentiometer(s) with the MCP3208 IC.
    Circuitry
    Improvements to the pot reader program.

Part Three Controlling Simple Outputs
    Simple output
    Introduction
    General discussion
    Binary Math
    First program as a shell
    Turning a propeller pin (line) on and off.
    Experimentation
    Blinking lines 0 and 1 alternately.
    The PST, Interfacing to the PST
    Seven segment displays
    Speaker
    Frequency Generation
    PWM generation
    Creating Methods.
    Repeating code any number of times
    Creating “specific time” pauses.
    Controlling a hobby servo
    PWM generation for motor control.

Part Four Reading Inputs
    Reading inputs
    Read one push button (momentary contact).
    Count pulses.
    Determine a frequency
    Read a keyboard
    Read an LM34 based thermometer
    Read a potentiometer(s)

Part Five. The projects
    Thermostat
    Tachometer
    Self leveling table
    Generating a 440 cps tone
    A Simple Metronome
    A Clock Implementation

Part six The Appendices
    Reading Potentiometers with MCP3208 described in detail. Documented.
    Doing something a fixed number of times
    Waiting for lines to meet a condition
    De-bouncing PBs and Switches
    Calling an external PASM routine from a SPIN program
    Binary mathematics notes
    Parts needed list
    Epilogue
    Index

There will be some changes of course!!
    Harprit
  • kuronekokuroneko Posts: 3,623
    edited 2013-01-03 17:11
    The PAR instruction
    How the Par instruction works
    Further notes on using PAR command.
    Storing and reading variables for several cogs (three in this case) files with the PAR pointer.
    The Manual calls it Cog Boot Parameter register. I could go along with PAR pointer but insn and command are definitely pushing it.
    edited 2013-01-03 17:43
    I will make the change
    Thanks
    H
    edited 2013-01-03 21:37
    My comment regarding peer review stands. Regardless of author, no book should have Parallax's endorsement without a serious peer review for both content and structure. PAR instruction?, duplex full serial object.

Also, given the book is about PASM, why would you even consider placing calling pasm routines from spin in an appendix for treatment as an afterthought? The whole idea is to use spin where possible and PASM for the high speed heavy lifting (in my opinion).

This is not the potatohead papers, daSilva tutorial, or PhiPi's trick and traps. You are asking people to part with real money here on the expectation of obtaining a certain information of an expected value level. You should have the book reviewed and vetted by some of the expert users AND offer the purchasers of this book the ability to return for full refund the cost within a reasonable time frame.

Caveat emptor,

Frank Freedman

kuroneko wrote: »
    The Manual calls it Cog Boot Parameter register. I could go along with PAR pointer but insn and command are definitely pushing it.
  • TharkunTharkun Posts: 67
    edited 2013-01-04 04:38

H

If the shipping costs to Germany are ok, i'm also interested.
    edited 2013-01-04 07:35
    @Frank F.

Thank you for your comments. You always help me understand things more clearly. There are those that do and those that are constantly nipping at their heels. You can decide which group you fall in. It is a complete amazement to me that you can divine so much detail about the contents of a book you have not even seen much less read.

Consequently:
    There will be no peer reviews. My mind is set. If not a word in the book is correct, there will be no peer review.
    The book will be available only from me and from Parallax if they decide they want to handle it.
    No Amazon. Amazon does not serve authors. They are killing the book industry.
    $29.95 plus postage from me. It will be about 270 pages in 8.5 by 11 wide format. Bound professionally. No ebooks.
    Chock full of hundreds and hundreds of lines of fully commented code for real beginners.
    There is nothing sophisticated in the book. It is for beginners beginners beginners beginners.
    They will decide if its any good.
    No one is obligated to pay for my work.
    There will be no refunds.
    I promise I will not sell a copy to Frank directly under any circumstances. I recommend that he not buy it. It will be way too simplistic for him.

My next posting will be "They are in my hands, order yours"
    Till then I am busy

Harprit Singh Sandhu