Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Fill the Big Brain - Page 57 — Parallax Forums

Fill the Big Brain

Comments

• HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2011-11-14 09:29
    The Inordinate Effect & Back to the Future

Electric', indeed you have words of wisdom which are appreciated and ring clear as a bell, with great advice for project beginners and advanced scientists. It is important to have extended experience and research knowledge with each system to know how not to proceed. It's always good to gain recommendations, data, knowledge and new studies along the way, building up from a foundation of basics to the more advanced, step by step.

It's a given, the tiny window of this thread and postings where many telescope designs are being investigated at the same time, and the way it masks the past, may make it appear to be less than its behind the scenes activity and accomplishments. However, there is higher purpose involved. In the example of mirrors, this experience dates back to 1960s, spin resin dating to 1970s, and in the case of aluminized mylar dating to the 1980s. This belts over 50, 40 and 30 years experience in a kind of back to the future episode culminating in the year 2011 and beyond.

This time around, our investigation is similar in some ways and quite different in others, and our purpose and objectives have undoubtedly changed. The questions asked about the parameters are of a different timber and caliber. We aim for different goals and have some new tools - i.e. powerful Propeller chip processors, etc.

In this rapid new grand exporation journey amounting to the sum total of 120 years of development time and experience in each of the three main categories, we discover a common thread in each telescope type being explored. Each has some element that takes an inordinate amount of time, skill, detail and attention to delelop and make it work.
    • With glass, it may take 1,000 hours of polishing and figuring the surface to a millionth of an inch.
    • With reflective mylar, the time is spent on machining the mirror support to precision accuracy.
    • With spin resin, the time is spent on ridding defects from the cast material.
    • A liquid spinning mirror requires time spent to develop the accuracy of spinning machinery and containment mechanics.
    • A water refractor is all about membrain containment.
    • A multiple mirror or lens telescope is all about bringing the images exactly together.
    Each has strengths, weaknesses and challenges, and each requires a great deal of time, skill and effort to develop. When studies, experiments, investigations, and construction of working model telescopes, materials, and methods are complete, we will know which route to ultimately take to solve the objectives specified.
  • Martin_HMartin_H Posts: 4,051
    edited 2011-11-14 09:29
    erco wrote: »
    As long as you're making telescope lenses out of water & saran wrap, don't forget the simple water drop microscope: http://www.ehow.com/how_7601753_make-waterdrop-microscope.html

I made a water drop microscope when I was ten after reading a book about Van Leeuwenhoek. It was fun to look at salt grains with it, and I improved the design by using the lens from a flashlight bulb. Great project for kids interested in science.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-11-14 09:48
    In my experience, we are judged by (and paid for) the projects we finish, not the ones we start. Hopefully, this is all leading somewhere that has a tangible conclusion.

-Phil
    edited 2011-11-14 09:49
    Water Drop Fly Eye Telescope

erco wrote: »
    As long as you're making telescope lenses out of water & saran wrap, don't forget the simple water drop microscope: http://www.ehow.com/how_7601753_make-waterdrop-microscope.html

And here's one big improvement, making a projector with a laser pointer. Check that video, cool stuff!
    http://makeprojects.com/Project/Laser-Projection-Microscope/413/1

Thanks Erco! These links led to this paper which has some very good water drop mathematics.
    http://www.fmf.uni-lj.si/~planinsic/physteac/physteac_gp.pdf

It raises a question and a new idea. As we are experimenting with the Fly Eye telescope now, based on a collection of many very small refractor lenses to create one giant eye, is it possible to substitute many water drops for the Fly Eye lenses? That could be an inexpensive way to create a Giant Eye Telescope as the weight of a single water drop could allow it to be suspended in space, perhaps electrostatically, or like the Millikan Oil Drop Experiment. A harmonic dispenser could dispense a million water drops which quickly shift and hold positions of replacement and the imager could image in between shifting replacements to effectively use the full aperture.
    edited 2011-11-14 09:58
    In my experience, we are judged by (and paid for) the projects...

In my hobby experience, we are not paid for projects in terms of money, but rather in personal satisfaction and enjoyment gained from the journey.
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2011-11-14 10:13
    ... Hopefully, this is all leading somewhere that has a tangible conclusion....

My brainstem has just experienced an epitaxic epiphany: billions of fruit flies all genetically programmed to identify and face particular star constellations, each fly having glued to its proboscis a thermo-retractable nitinol wire segment attached to countless flattened pieces of Lays Potato Chip bags, the stratospheric nimbo-accumulation of which results in cutting edge exoplanetary SETI research.

I think we're making some progress here.
    edited 2011-11-14 11:27
    No-Brainer News Update

Completing a large number of small projects for experiments, the Brain continues with its purpose leading to a greater cause. Let's review...

Current stats indicate many small telescopes being used to investigate science around their designs and designs that parallel and overlap other telescopes. What is this intentive flurry of activity all about? No one knows.

New to the Brain science includes resin spin cast results, refracting water telescope, glass mirror telescope, reflective mylar telescope, thick film telescope, free air aperture telescope, hybrid telescopes, multiple lens telescope, multiple mirror non-equating telescope, etc. Interesting, the topic of focus appears to be telescopes.

Depending on which lab the Brain's gofer is in, the number and type of project worked on will vary. A recent post describes part of this spread.

Currently photos cannot go into posts, so pics of completed projects will need to wait or will not be forthcoming.

Tri-State Design & Development for each project will continue. This was explained in a previous post.

The announcement of ULT details are anxiously awaited, and are still forthcoming, but speculation and rumor abound.

The projects, Big Brain, telescopes, MSP, are hobby and not for sale.

A Quasi reporting (based on time) open souce development is in effect, with a sharing of recent computer system design programs and projects.
    edited 2011-11-14 11:46
    My brainstem has just experienced an epitaxic epiphany: billions of fruit flies all genetically programmed to identify and face particular star constellations, each fly having glued to its proboscis a thermo-retractable nitinol wire segment attached to countless flattened pieces of Lays Potato Chip bags, the stratospheric nimbo-accumulation of which results in cutting edge exoplanetary SETI research. I think we're making some progress here.

Fruit flies, unlike ants, tire very quickly in hauling their loads. However, this is a good concept for Robotic Aerial Swarming. Each robot has a precision mirror mounted on its back and as it flys into Propeller SPIN programmed formation, a parabolic shape is maintained. Robots with near depleted batteries will have their batteries replaced by a service robot. A mile wide telescope in space is possible with maneuvering jets, though nearly Earth bound systems may vary due to wind and birds. A number of Robot Mirrors will drop out due to bird droppings. The service robot, standing by, is remotely called in to clean their mirrors. A precision stable full load capable aerial swarming robot design up for consideration is Ken's Quad Copter.
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2011-11-14 11:48
    Humanoido wrote: »
    No-Brainer News Update

Completing a large number of small projects for experiments, the Brain continues with its purpose leading to a greater cause. Let's review...
    Indeed. A nice summary of The Big Brain Blog .... I guess it never really was about machine intelligence anyway.
    edited 2011-11-14 16:29
    Reviewing Big Brain Machine Intelligence

jazzed wrote: »
    Indeed. A nice summary of The Big Brain Blog .... machine intelligence...

Thanks Jazzed. Welcome to the project. The Brain update you refer to is a very brief summary of a few current trends this week. It was titled "No Brainer" because no thought is required to follow it.

To find the Brain's machine intelligence developments, one needs to follow along from the begining or read up on all previous posts. A quicker way to get up to speed is to use the index linked below. It depends on the key word used.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?124495-Fill-the-Big-Brain&p=977025&viewfull=1#post977025
    Post 304 New Fast Online Brain Search Index

For example, using the index we know the Brain posted 21 Neuron developments, 34 times Neural, AI fifteen posts and Intelligence ten. Supporters added approximately 35 posts. Machine intelligence topics and developments with only 4 words number around 100 development posts. Machine intelligence headings with related wording add an estimated 800 posts, bringing total related machine intelligence posts to around 1,000.

It's also about machine evolution. Recently a post began tracing the Brain's Propeller evolution and trends. At some point the Brain branched to control which was the beginning of Brain applications in robotics, i.e. active optics, Intelligent Glass, VARFL, etc. The Big Brain, with its many parallel Propeller chip arrays (see PARP) is one of the best solutions for driving this technology.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?124495-Fill-the-Big-Brain/page82
    Post 1632 Big Brain Time Line Evolution
    Surfing Associative Property and Time Line

For more information on the Brains evolution by associative property, see post 1625
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?124495-Fill-the-Big-Brain/page82
    edited 2011-11-14 20:11
    Free Aluminized Substrate

It forms images, can make a 34.5 x 22 cm mirror, and it's free. Take a walk down the isle of the clothes section in the shopping mall and you may find a package of Heattech clothes. This one packaged a small turtle neck long sleeve t-shirt. Other packaging is much larger. Contact www.unilo.com and 021-62717200 overseas. This substrate has a double sided aluminization (choose the best side for use) and seems to form excellent images and will make a nice 8.7-inch experimental telescope. In the future we may establish a diffusion index to more accurately rate aluminized substrates from various free sources. This supplements free sources of aluminized substrate found with peanuts packaging and large Layes potato chip bags. This is an excellent source for experimenters living overseas without access to large rolls of aluminized mylar and for people who are traveling and require small samples to fit luggage.
    edited 2011-11-14 20:32
    Basal Ganglia
    My brainstem has just experienced an epitaxic epiphany...I think we're making some progress here.
    Big Brain wants to examine your epitaxic epiphany capable brain stem.
    Does your Basal Ganglia hang in the correct place?
    The Brain thinks it may be pressing on your Cerebral Cortex resulting in your Genius Episodes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basal_ganglia

The basal ganglia (or basal nuclei) are a group of nuclei of varied origin (mostly telencephalic embryonal origin, with some diencephalic and mesencephalic elements) in the brains of vertebrates that act as a cohesive functional unit. They are situated at the base of the forebrain and are strongly connected with the cerebral cortex, thalamus and other brain areas. The basal ganglia are associated with a variety of functions, including voluntary motor control, procedural learning relating to routine behaviors or "habits" such as bruxism, eye movements, and cognitive,[1] emotional functions.
    edited 2011-11-14 20:56
    Big Brain in GreenSTEMS

Big Brain Boards and mention of Parallax Propeller chips with high density wiring made it into GreenSTEMS, "Grassroots support for science, technology, engineering, math."
    http://stemroots.org/2011/07/big-brain-boards/
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2011-11-14 21:11
    ...bruxism....

320px-Deviated_midline_2.JPG

Love that word. I like the way it makes my teeth gnash out loud when I say it slowly. Kinda gets the basals to twang a bit, too.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-11-14 22:34
    I hate that word, especially when my dentist mentions it in the context of cracked teeth, expen$ive crown$, and nocturnal "appliances" to prevent further damage. :(

-Phil
    edited 2011-11-14 23:10
    Love that word.
    I hate that word,

Notice these two posts. One positive. One negative.
    Completely opposite.
    But also notice they have humor in common.
    You know what that tells you.

Remember robot Number 5 in Short Circuit?
    A joke is told but he doesn't get it until the end
    of the movie, at which point he has gained the sense
    of humor, and he says... oh I get it... and laughs
    so loud his laughter echos across the canyon.
    edited 2011-11-15 00:15
    Round Telescope Completed - Built with Lenses of Unusual Properties
    Spherical Cylinder Lens with FR Quality

While shopping for Mylar at another grocery store, I walked down the bottled water section and found something I had never seen in the past. The bottle of water had the shape of a perfect refracting cylinder lens in which a round cross section forms perfect spherical images, at least to the human eye by inspection. Another oddity is that it appears to have nearly a zero focal length which coincides exactly with the outer face of the front surface. By itself it has telescopic focal reduction features and a negative focal length. When filled with self contained water and trained with another identical bottle used as the eyepiece, it makes a round cross sectional telescope easily used and adjusted in a vertical cylinder orientation. It forms very clear FR images.

The Brain is happy over this as the flexible outer poly material is capable of being robotically figured by obverse pressure, which could be induced by a single standard servo and servo horn, however, the spherical lens works so well that figuring is not necessary. Remarkably, this makes a self contained water lens completely sealed with exceptional optical qualities.

Each cylinder has a vertical seam running the length from top to bottom - the cylinder is merely rotated and the seam disappears from view during actual use. Apparently the polymer and the water have some chromatic index canceling properties as the primary image has good color. Cost is about US$1.00 for this water bottle telescope. The brand is Chinese - Alkaqua and the volume of water is 570ml. Another unusual feature of this is the long and very thin vertical lable, only 13mm wide. This keeps a maximum viewing area open on the lens.

The bottles have a flat bottom which makes their own telescope mount, usable on a flat surface like a window sill, table or small ledge. When using one bottle, at close distances to objects on a table, it makes an excellent magnifying lens. By varying the distance, the magnified object can be stretched along the Y-axis held perpendicular to the cylinder (but not x-axis). The diameter of this lens is about 6cm and the length of the cylinder has a usable area of about 17.5cm. We'll know more when we hash out the exact numbers using the computer program.

It's possible to convert the telescope to plano convex primary zenith observer. When cutting the cyclinder in half, keep the ends to retain the water. This makes a very good sperical telescope without a stretching membrane, that could be used to photo large sections of the night sky in one image, due to its fast short Schmidt-like FL and wide field of view. It's possible to induce a circular aperture stop at 2F and create a lensless Schmidt further improving the images. I think this one will perform very well on the night sky.
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2011-11-15 09:22
    Welcome like I've never posted here. Ok :)

I'll never understand why you are constantly posting in this thread. But, it is your right, and some of it is entertaining and your pictures are very pretty.

So, I accept it.

But, just think about this, If you make your Big Brain a Parallax forum Blog (where it really belongs anyway), then you can control what gets posted there instead of dealing with someone's seemingly antagonistic opinions. I bet Parallax could move the whole thing for you. And it would still be entertaining!

For example, using the index we know the Brain posted 21 Neuron developments, 34 times Neural, AI fifteen posts and Intelligence ten. Supporters added approximately 35 posts. Machine intelligence topics and developments with only 4 words number around 100 development posts. Machine intelligence headings with related wording add an estimated 800 posts, bringing total related machine intelligence posts to around 1,000.
    Did you know that if you enter "the" in google search, it will tell you over 27 trillion instances of the word are found on the internet ?
    One may conclude by logical fallacy that the internet is about the word "the".

The number of your mentions of intelligence leading to the conclusion that your Big Brain blog is about machine intelligence is also a logical fallacy.
    edited 2011-11-15 16:48
    jazzed wrote: »
    Welcome like I've never posted here. Ok :) I'll never understand why you are constantly posting in this thread.

I see now that you posted in this thread a long time ago in a post far far away... Consider it a renewed welcome.

Who is really doing the posting here. You assume Humanoido. Jazzed Grasshopper, the fallacy of your jumping to conclusions is a magnitude that requires great reassessment.
    edited 2011-11-15 17:18
    Genetic Algorithm
    UltraLazer creates a new world with genetics

UltraLazer on the Parallax Forum describes his latest experiment using a Genetic Algorithm. The posting of his code obviates how the world can be expanded and world resolution increased with the algorithm adapted to new variables within the confines of the genetic construct. Notice the similarity between the generations construct and Life, code previous posted and incorporated into the Big Brain.
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?135878-Quadratic-Bezier-Curves-Genetic-Algorithm.-w-Code.
    "The genetic algorithm (GA) approximates the final high res bezier-path in a 16x16 world. It generates an answer within a definable range of optimum. This can take 1-10 generations. If the GA converges on a solution with too much error there is an extinction and a new population gives it a shot. Because the search space is only 16x16 there are robot/enemy x,y configurations that are more difficult. Also the way in which the initial random population is generated greatly impacts the convergence time." UltraLazer is now considering using another GA to optimize the parameters for the path GA including population, mutation rate and convergence.
    edited 2011-11-15 20:10
    DIY the Intelligent Mirror - with a Propeller Chip Brain
    The Brain Expands It's Domain with Mirrors
    Part 1 - Getting Started

Now's your opportunity to make a mirror with brains!

Intelligent Brain driven glass and mirrors are remarkable. You can build one with the features you want. Some possibilities are a mirror that talks to you, takes your commands, changes it's own focal length, changes it's own shape, adjusts focus, in the case of a telescope can change it own design, and has the potential to correct for seeing, aberrations, and heat changes.

Imagine how the Propeller Brain can change the mirror at will. Want to make your wife look thinner? You got it. Want to fatten the appearance of your wallet? It's doable. Want to drive the cat crazy with changing images? You're naughty. Or create a giant changing fun mirror for next Halloween? Ok. You can even create that smaller more energy appearing "green" car you wished you had purchased. Have science, have fun, the choice is yours.

Part One
    The Brain's subsidiary is it's project to create and be the controlling agent for an Intelligent Mirror. A working Proto is now established based on a cut piece of the large aluminized substrate roll recently acquired. This proto will be used for numerous experiments to determine the viability of a very large upscale. Like the very large Intelligent Glass that used 144 servos from the 1970's project, this intelligent mirror is much more light weight, smaller, portable, simple, uses an exampling one standard servo motor, and a very flexible glass polymer substrate.

To construct your own iMirror prototype, cut a circular mounting support ring larger than the diameter of the reflective substrate, approximately 20 + 8 cm. This creates an annular support ring. Cut another ring, roll it, join the ends together, and connect it perpendicular to the center if the annular ring. The will make a very rigid yet light weight mirror support and mount. Stiff thick cardboard works for the assembly and is readily carried in luggage during travel. Ideally a sheet of tempered Masonite will provide greater rigidity or machine aluminum rings if you have the resources.

Parts List
    Propeller Chip Brain
    Flexible Mirror Substrate
    One Standard Servo Motor
    Thick Rigid Cardboard or alternative
    Servo Horn
    Metal Linkage
    Linkage Washer, Nut
    Motor Mounting Hardware
    3-Pin Connectors (2)
    3-Wire Cable
    Tiny Solderless Breadboards (2)
    Jumper Wires
    Decouping Capacitors
    EEPROM Chip
    Various Resistors
    Flexible Cable to Make a Remote
    Pushbuttons (3)

Tools
    Scissors
    Round Bowl (equal to mirror size)
    Exacto knife
    Marking Pen & Pencil
    Straight Edge for Cutting
    Soldering Iron
    Measuring Ruler

Supplies
    Solder
    Duct Tape
  • Duane DegnDuane Degn Posts: 10,588
    edited 2011-11-15 21:16
    Humanoido,

I find your willingness to produce tutorials on unproven designs disturbing.
    Intelligent Brain driven glass and mirrors are remarkable. You can build one with the features you want. Some possibilities are a mirror that talks to you, takes your commands, changes it's own focal length, changes it's own shape, adjusts focus, in the case of a telescope can change it own design, and has the potential to correct for seeing, aberrations, and heat changes.

Ok, the the above are all possibilities. You haven't actually done any of these, right?
    A working Proto is now established based on a cut piece of the large aluminized substrate roll recently acquired. This proto will be used for numerous experiments to determine the viability of a very large upscale. Like the very large Intelligent Glass that used 144 servos from the 1970's project, this intelligent mirror is much more light weight, smaller, portable, simple, uses an exampling one standard servo motor, and a very flexible glass polymer substrate.
    What is a "glass polymer substrate". I thought this was aluminized plastic of some sort.

What does "a working Proto" mean? Do you have a working telescope made with this aluminized film?

It's one thing to say "this is what I'm doing, if you want to follow along at home do this", but you make it sound like you have an operational telescope that uses a reflective plastic film as its main mirror.

I worry there may be people who think this is a viable approach to astronomy and waste their time building something that doesn't do anything useful.

I really think you should make it clear what results you have obtained so others will know what to expect from their efforts.

Duane
    edited 2011-11-15 22:33
    Duane Degn wrote: »
    I find your willingness to produce tutorials on unproven designs disturbing.

Hi Duane, Ouch! Unproven design? Absolutely not. There's a working proto on the lab bench. Why don't you build one and see that it works?

It's exactly as described. Sorry if my English is disturbing. You may want to try rereading it tomorrow. Some people get it and others don't and simply need to move on. I will reply to your remaining questions when I have more time.

You do realize the post mentions this is part one? Maybe we can all exercise some patience before making a hasty judgement. If you really don't believe this project is real, I promise to post more information in the future.

Do you want me to send you the prototype when I'm finished experimenting with it or build another one for you?

You'll have to furnish your own Propeller chip. I can't get the Big Brain to part with any props or it would be like a brain lobotomy.
    edited 2011-11-15 23:25
    Jazzed, in reviewing posts 1690 and 1704, in my view it seems like you want to make some points against the Big Brain. You have made your points and you have my comments. I appreciate your postings - and always encourage you and others for positive constructive postings. Please move on from this topic. Mike Green and Ken Gracey posted good reminders for all of us to stay positive and constructive.

Quotes in this thread, page 68, posts 1350, 1357, 1360:

As a member of this community, you are always entitled to ask for further information on performance of a project. That's how people find out whether a particular project is useful for them. Some projects are very well documented to where they can be easily and reliably duplicated. Some projects have very well defined goals and do a good job of essentially teaching how to reach those goals. Some projects have pretty pictures. Some projects have great descriptions. Some projects don't seem to have any of these things. You have to decide what you need, spend time with the project descriptions and other threads that help and inspire you, and pass over the ones that don't.
    Mike Green

Guys ... Please let it rest. This is getting to be like a family feud with righteousness, indignancy, cattiness (yes) being thrown around. If you have criticisms, say 'em and leave it. If you have questions, ask 'em and wait for an answer. If you don't get the kind of answer you're looking for, have a conversation and move on if you're not satisfied. ... Please.
    Mike Green

Parallax will be revising our forum rules very soon.* We'd like the forums to be a positive environment. This thread seems to bring out some behavior we could all do without. I don't mind having a cat post on our forums as long as he is somewhat respectful.* Sometimes it's best to abstain from comment when you read things that you don't like. Often you can write your message in notepad and delete it, feeling the same as if you posted it.* Expect a higher level of moderation and some new rules forthcoming from Bump.*

Ken Gracey
    Parallax Semiconductor
    (916) 632-4664 x 5510
    kgracey@parallaxsemiconductor.com
    http://www.parallaxsemiconductor.com
    edited 2011-11-15 23:56
    What is a "glass polymer substrate". I thought this was aluminized plastic of some sort.

I was thinking mirror and typed glass. Glass and plastic were grouped together because they can do many of the same things. It was decided to just call this a mirror and then specify the type of mirror. It may also be referred to as a reflector. There are now several different types of mirror composition available and a variety of names, plastic, polymer, vinyl, film, resin, Mylar, substrate, and detailed chemical names.
    edited 2011-11-16 00:13
    "What does "a working Proto" mean? Do you have a working telescope made with this aluminized film?"

Duane, a working proto refers to a functional prototype. The title of the post is "DIY the Intelligent Mirror..." which indicates the build prototype is a mirror and not a telescope. This material may or may not be a film do to it's thickness though I've not had a chance to see how thick the definition of film extends.

I have secondary mirrors used with the MLT. Technically I can use one to inspect this project's mirror as telescope function. Are you interested in making a telescope?

More about the telescope made with a thin film may be posted in the future.
    edited 2011-11-16 01:19
    "It's one thing to say "this is what I'm doing, if you want to follow along at home do this", but you make it sound like you have an operational telescope that uses a reflective plastic film as its main mirror."

Duane, thanks for your questions. I can see you're very interested in this project. About the mirror, you will notice I said "some possibilities are..." and then mentioned a telescope. No where in the post did I say I have "an operational telescope that uses (this) a reflective plastic film as its main mirror."

The post is simply for a demonstrative build for a working intelligent mirror that can be immediately used for scientific experimentation primarily for the Big Brain project and expanded with the mentioned possibilities as you want to develop. It demonstrates how it can be made intelligent and controlled by a brain. Yes this is what I'm doing and if you want to follow along at home, good, that's the idea of this open source project. Depending on my available time, the information will be more or less and you and others are certainly smart enough to fill in any gaps. Plus i enjoy answering questions as time permits as long as they are phrased with respect. But keep in mind I expect others to contribute. I don't have all the time in the world, this is not a job, i get no money, and as a hobby can only offer it as is, unsupported (i am not technical support) for use or no use as you see fit.
    edited 2011-11-16 22:51
    I worry there may be people who think this is a viable approach to astronomy and waste their time building something that doesn't do anything useful.

Now it's your turn to answer some questions since I answered yours.

"Doesn't do anything useful?" Why do you say that?

What do you mean "waste their time?"

What do you call, "a viable approach to astronomy?" What is that?
    edited 2011-11-16 23:12
    I really think you should make it clear what results you have obtained so others will know what to expect from their efforts.

How can I predict what results others will get from their efforts? I cannot. Didn't I say numerous times in the introduction what to expect from the Intelligent Mirror? Beyond my use suggestions it's completely up to the individual working on the project to use it in the ways they see fit.

It's always exciting to share results and if you read about most of the previous projects you'll see a mix. You'll also see that some projects are ongoing and there are no concluding results at this time. If I simply had the time, I could write up lots of things. The Brain has become so Big, in terms of expansions, we really need a full time technical secretary here.

I'm happy to say the Brain is productive and has ongoing around 30 projects. Recently my time is divided by travel so it may be a while to catch up on writing about the mirrors etc.

With four labs located in different countries, this arrangement will automatically make some choices about which projects are worked on and which projects are worked on as a time scheduling dependent basis. A recent post describes the division of some projects and where they're located, i.e. lab 1, lab 2, lab 3, or lab 4. The labs are in different countries and match my travel schedule so I can work for the Big Brain at these destinations.
This discussion has been closed.