Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Fill the Big Brain - Page 46 — Parallax Forums

Fill the Big Brain

Comments

• prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2011-08-25 13:00
    But the danger I see is that a newcomer might happen by ...

I should think a person in your position would be more concerned about the impression given by folks who claim their cat acts as moderator. :)

I say let the person who has not failed to fulfill the arbitrary measures of success from another be the first to cast arbitrary measures of success on this one.

Consider that the research posted IS the project at this point, and will remain so until such time as code is presented. If nothing else its a refreshing contrast to more formal or tradition presentations on similar subjects.

"Grogg not understand Big Brain, want smash Big Brain". I love that.
  • BrowserBrowser Posts: 84
    edited 2011-08-25 17:40
    I should think a person in your position would be more concerned about the impression given by folks who claim their cat acts as moderator.

u haz problem with catz being moderator?

-browz
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2011-08-25 18:29
    Oh hey, it's Browser.. No, no problem here. I like cats as moderator's...
    And sorry about that, didn't mean to wake you from your cat nap.=^.^=

@Mike Green, that was pure poetry... :thumb:

@Prof_Braino, You let the cat out of the bag, and cats are not easy to put in bags...
    I think this quote answers many questions about missing code, well put Prof_Braino
    Consider that the research posted IS the project at this point, and will remain so until such time as code is presented. If nothing else its a refreshing contrast to more formal or tradition presentations on similar subjects.

-Tommy <<<< (a close relative of Grogg.)
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-08-25 19:06
    I'm willing to accept that the Big Brain has no more corporeal, reproducible reality than the imaginings of a fertile and very creative mind, as long as Humanoido is willing to present it as such. My only beeves with this thread arise when he crosses over from the universe of ideas to the universe of concrete reality by making claims that something has been accomplished, without a shred of evidence to support those claims. To the extent that he continues in this vein, I shall consider it my duty to point out his apparent deceptions. But please do not interpret this as stifling creativity or inquisitiveness. That's the farthest thing from my mind. It's simply a matter of journalistic honesty and maintaining a wall of separation between what is imagined and what is real.

-Phil
    edited 2011-08-25 19:40
    I have been lurking here long enough to know You don't just blurt things out to be spitefull Mr. Pilgrim.
    I concure with seperation of fictitious claims and the facts...:thumb:

But, the wall is a wavy one to be sure,
    How to seperate a Heli_port connected to a Big Brain is beyond Grogg and myself though...:smile:
    Especially such a well equipped Heli_port, IN THEORY there's enough brain power to land and launch
    Fleets of flying machines!, Why? I don't know either!, But... I want one anyway... :cool:

-Tommy
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-08-26 07:39
    Guys ... Please let it rest. This is getting to be like a family feud with righteousness, indignancy, cattiness (yes) being thrown around. If you have criticisms, say 'em and leave it. If you have questions, ask 'em and wait for an answer. If you don't get the kind of answer you're looking for, have a conversation and move on if you're not satisfied. ... Please.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-08-26 08:04
    Mike,

'Sorry you had to get involved. It's becoming obvious that my differences with Humanoido regarding this thread are irreconcilable. I guess I shall just have to accept what I can't change and move on.

-Phil
  • RITESH KAKKARRITESH KAKKAR Posts: 254
    edited 2011-08-26 09:14
    Very cool work.....!!
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2011-08-26 11:46
    Parallax will be revising our forum rules very soon.

We'd like the forums to be a positive environment. This thread seems to bring out some behavior we could all do without. I don't mind having a cat post on our forums as long as he is somewhat respectful.

Sometimes it's best to abstain from comment when you read things that you don't like. Often you can write your message in notepad and delete it, feeling the same as if you posted it.

Expect a higher level of moderation and some new rules forthcoming from Bump.

Ken Gracey
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2011-08-31 05:37
    Via PS1's mailing list - AI vs. AI. Two chatbots talking to each other

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnzlbyTZsQY&feature=player_embedded
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2011-08-31 19:22
    Via PS1's mailing list - AI vs. AI. Two chatbots talking to each other
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnzlbyTZsQY&feature=player_embedded

This is remarkable and just the beginning. There are others posted at youtube.
    (search on the titles)
    Two Bots Talking: Fake Kirk and A.L.I.C.E.

Some will talk about specific subjects. (the specific weather)
    Chatbot with Talking Head interface that responds to questions about the weather

This one uses Flash and a voice.
    Awesome virtual woman talks to you

Some are marketing demos. This one is more realistic.
    Variation on Marketing Demo - pre release featuring 3D Women, Virtual Spokespeople, Virtual

Demostraci
    edited 2011-09-01 22:46
    Big Brain Propeller Airport PIR Build
    Aircraft Motion Detector Machine for launch, flight, recovery

attachment.php?attachmentid=84776&d=1314947326
    PIR circuit and software is now completed for the Big Brain Airport. Photo showing setup made with just 3 wire connections - Vss, Vdd and Signal. You will recognize the PEK circuit in which the LED is used as a signal output to indicate function status and completion of the warmup cycle. This pic is made with MacBook Cam, processed with Google PICASA, reformatted tiff to jpg, and horizontally reversed with Paintbrush. This board will hold additional Airport sensors before final integration into the structure.

This is the new documentation to build a Big Brain's Propeller Airport PIR detector system. The Airport is a new launch complex being equipped atop the Big Brain EXO to launch robotic Micro Space Craft. The code is written specifically for the Airport and is stand alone functional and ready for integration. Motion detection is useful when the Big Brain launches its arsenal of tiny space craft. Detection includes lift off, landing, and flight duration. PIR can integrate with Clock for more purpose, such as the time of lift off, duration of flight, and time of touchdown. Clock is a future project along with the addition of several new sensors.

attachment.php?attachmentid=84777&d=1314950275
    Schematic/Pictorial for the Airport PIR Motion Detector - Note: this circuit and code will allow the detector to reset itself after a detection. What this indicates is that the system can detect continuous motion or stop motion conditions. This is highly useful for determinations of in flight conditions related to the following factors:

• prior to launch
    • launch
    • in flight
    • recovery

attachment.php?attachmentid=84774&d=1314945938attachment.php?attachmentid=84775&d=1314946145

Developed and tested with BST - Brad's SPIN Tool. Download the Airport PIR Detection code. The Propeller chip is capable of handling numerous sensors. here.

The Sensor
    The PIR system is centered around a $9.99 Parallax motion sensor, part number 555-28027, from Parallax. The sensor works well with the Propeller chip, however for this application custom software was written. http://www.parallax.com/Store/Sensors/ObjectDetection/tabid/176/CategoryID/51/List/0/SortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/83/Default.aspx

PIR_AIR_LED.spin
    Big Brain - Airport Propeller Project
    A Part of the Micro Space Program
    by Humanoido
    August 25th, 2011

Introduction
    PIR Motion Detector - Detects aircraft motion through transparent runway floor
    for helicoptor & micro space craft take-off and landing. The sensor is
    adjustable to detect flight motion from warm motors and reflective infrared
    up to 20-feet and has a device warm up indicator and sensitivy setting.

Developed with BST and Mac

Circuit
    Connect PIR output to prop Pin P0 input
    Status on (motion) or off (no motion) is shown on LED P1
    Set PIR jumper to LOW*

* Jumper setting to low: Output goes HIGH then LOW when triggered.
    Continuous motion results in repeated HIGH/LOW pulses.

PIR - to Propeller GND
    + to Propeller 3.3V
    OUT to Propeller Pin P0

LED - to 220R to Propeller P1
    + to GND

Construction
    The PIR is highly directional, even to the sides and towards the back. Place
    the sensor inside a tube to control direction. Designed for indoor use.

Calibration
    The PIR Sensor requires a warm-up time in order to function properly. This is due to the settling time
    involved in learning its environment. This could be anywhere from 10-60 seconds. During this time
    there should be as little motion as possible in the sensors field of view.

Operation
    Allow the PIR to warm up without movement for 40 seconds
    LED on for 3 seconds indicates warm up is complete
    Any movement thereafter will light the LED on pin 2
    The LED will stay on for a second and go out
    It will stay off a second if motion continues
    It will stay off if no motion
    The LED will light for a second if motion is detected
    The process will repeat in a loop

Theory
    Pyroelectric devices, such as the PIR sensor, have elements made of a crystalline material
    that generates an electric charge when exposed to infrared radiation. The changes in the amount
    of infrared striking the element change the voltages generated, which are measured by an on-board
    amplifier. The device contains a special filter called a Fresnel lens, which focuses the infrared
    signals onto the element. As the ambient infrared signals change rapidly, the on-board amplifier
    trips the output to indicate motion.

Signature
    The PIR Sensor has a range of approximately 20 feet. This can vary with environmental conditions.
    The sensor is designed to adjust to slowly changing conditions that would happen normally as the
    day progresses and the environmental conditions change, but responds by making its output high
    when sudden changes occur, such as when there is motion. Note: This device is designed for
    sensitivity to infrared signatures. It detects humans, objects that reflect infrared light, and
    objects that generate infrared such as motors.

Sensitivity Setting
    The sensitivity is set to prevent spurous readings and to make the device more or less
    sensitive. See program comments for more information. It's currently set at 1/2 second.
    Set to more time for less sensitivity and less time (i.e. 1/200 second for greater
    sensititvity.

Parallax PIR Sensor (#555-28027)
    The PIR (Passive Infra-Red) Sensor is a pyroelectric device that detects motion by measuring
    changes in the infrared (heat) levels emitted by surrounding objects. This motion can be
    detected by checking for a sudden change in the surrounding IR patterns. When motion is detected
    the PIR sensor outputs a high signal on its output pin. This logic signal can be read by a
    microcontroller or used to drive a transistor to switch a higher current load.

Sensitivity Test to TV or Air Conditioner IR Remote
    Tests show, for a tested TV remote, no PIR sensitity
    is noted. Therefore, the motion detector will not
    trip by the use of tested IR controllers.

Warmup Indicator
    The warm up period is 40 seconds. At the end of 40 seconds, the LED will go on for 3 seconds
    and then off, indicating the sensor is ready.
    165 x 142 - 7K
    132 x 130 - 6K
    553 x 401 - 102K
    361 x 301 - 27K
    edited 2011-09-02 23:48
    NEW Big Brain Laboratory #4
    Now open for research

This is the fourth Humanoido Laboratory set up for Big Brain Development over the past several years. Multiple Labs are now located in the USA, Taiwan, and China. With two labs in China, commuting back and forth will assure smooth non-interrupted project development. This opens up many new resources from four locations in three countries. However, photos of the new lab are in the camera and the download cable is, you guessed it, in the other lab...

Rather than transport one Big Brain from Lab to Lab, a smaller R&D brain will be developed and utilized. Currently the new lab is using a portable Tiny Brain 1 with eight processors which is matched with sensor development at the current location. Expect a new kind of brain development platform for "during travel" use in the future.

[insert photo here]
    edited 2011-09-03 19:26
    Helicopter Fleet Expanded
    Aerial Program extended

attachment.php?attachmentid=84806&d=1315102053

Yesterday marked the day for helicopter fleet expansion with acquisition of a second Syma S107G helicopter with gyro built in and wireless remote controller. The two combined mini vehicles mark the expansion of a Big Brain Robotic Aerial Program conducted with Propeller chips and Parallax sensors. Red and yellow color differentiate the otherwise identical vehicles.

The controllers for this model craft have two A/B frequencies making simultaneous swarming experimental flights possible.
    247 x 151 - 26K
    edited 2011-09-03 20:55
    Quads and Props
    Ken Gracey & QuadCopter

Ken joins the growing list of ongoing open source development projects as he reports the progress of constructing a QuadCopter.

so I decided to throw some time towards building a QuadCopter. This thread will be my "build log".

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?133372-Ken-s-QuadCopter-Build-Log-(now-includes-videos)&p=1033137&posted=1#post1033137

Some design choices have been made after research on the RC Groups discussion forum. They've got a super set of threads on QuadCopters.

If you're working on any aerial projects, please post your links here.
    edited 2011-09-04 19:09
    Tiny Brain One
    TBO goes portable

attachment.php?attachmentid=84824&d=1315187701
    TBO is now used as a portable tiny brain for travel and portable work. It's
    prototyped on a solderless breadboard. Photo taken with iPhone3 and
    processed with Google PICASA and Paintbrush.

The smallest brain in the series of brains is the Tiny Brain One. Much of the Big Brain test software can run on a TBO. TBOs have one Propeller chip with eight hard processor cores. Each of the "cog" cores in Tiny Brain One is thought of as an individual internal chip with a four I/O pin allotment for use in multiple chip development. TBOs are very portable, ideal for research and project development, and set up on one solderless breadboard. These run multiprocessor software and the full range of sensors. TBO "Internal Chips" are theoretical 20MIPS with a shared 5MHz crystal.

TBO Features
    One Propeller chip
    Eight Internal Setup Chips
    Four pin i/o allotment per internal chip
    Two dedicated hardware counters per internal chip
    Standard programming for multiple cogs
    Shared 5MHz crystal
    Shared 32K EEPROM, RAM, ROM
    20MIPS/Internal Chip
    $1/Internal Chip Cost

Definitions
    TBO Tiny Brain One - the smallest brain in the Big Brain clan
    Hard Processor - a processor made up of hardware
    Core - a cog, or processor
    Internal Chip - one or more computer chips created inside a single Propeller chip

Other small brains in the offspring series
    Bantam Brain post 418, 3 chips with VR cores
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?124495-Fill-the-Big-Brain&p=987918&viewfull=1#post987918

Baby Brain 1 prop, post 802
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?124495-Fill-the-Big-Brain&p=1004421&viewfull=1#post1004421

Brain Child post 792, 5 props
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?124495-Fill-the-Big-Brain&p=1003572&viewfull=1#post1003572

BIT Brain Interim Test Machine, post 1006, post 1034, 6 props
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?124495-Fill-the-Big-Brain&p=1010373&viewfull=1#post1010373

Small Brain 5 prop chips on one board
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?124495-Fill-the-Big-Brain&p=988558&viewfull=1#post988558

Tiny Brain One TBO 1 prop with 8 internalized chips
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?124495-Fill-the-Big-Brain&p=988558&viewfull=1#post988558

Tiny Brain Two TB2 2 props

Tiny Brain Three TB3 3 props
    459 x 342 - 46K
    edited 2011-09-04 22:52
    Big Brain Adds Micro Kite Division
    Expanding the Brain's Micro Space Program

The Big Brain's Micro Space Kite is for hobby and educational study of kite and various space craft technology, air flow, the creation of energy, a study of aerodynamics, can loft tethers, anchor equipment in space, can engage in a swarming study, and is slated to become robotic using Propeller chips with the control of air flow and flight parameters. Micro Space Kites can also loft equipment like cameras and various payloads. Machines made from paper and lightweight cardboard can also attach. For example, kites can release payloads with protection from paper airbags folded according to the rules of Origami.

attachment.php?attachmentid=84828&d=1315201734
    The Micro Kite has a very beautiful and colorful Chinese butterfly imprint for good visibility. It has
    very strong and lightweight bamboo spar members, typically like the ones taken from a broom.
    Note the string tie position which encircles both spars for maximum strength and kite structural stability.

Introducing the Big Brain's Micro Kite
    Ten Chinese micro kites, with butterfly imprints, are now a part of the Big Brain's Micro Space Program.

Reverse Engineering
    The micro kites have four sides in the traditional diamond shape, assembled with a vertical (8") and a horizontal spar (9.75") glued to very thin "single-ply tissue paper thickness" Tyvek material. Each kite is stringed to the next kite, tied at the orthogonal intersection point of the two spars.

The vertical spar is fully glued to the fabric and the horizontal spare has the first 3-inches glued on each side. The lead string is tied only to the center of the horizontal spar. Spars appear to be taken from single segments of Bamboo broom and are flat.

Each kite has a 19-inch long tail about 1-inch wide, made from ultra thin mylar "Eight Happiness" brand, glued to the spar and the Tyvek material at the bottom-most section. The glued section extends about 1-inch onto the kite. The lead kite has a 2-foot long lead string for attachment to the string on the string reel. The top diagonals of the kite shape are 5-inches long and the lower sides are 7-inches.

attachment.php?attachmentid=84829&d=1315201753
    The kite is gossamer thin. Showing ten chained kites, reflective mylar tails and connecting string. All photos taken with iPhone3, synced with iTunes, uploaded to MacBook, processed with iPhoto, resized with Grab, and extension reformatted in Paintbrush.

The Chain
    The kites are all connected in a chain. Each kite is separated optimally by 21-inches from the next, connected by string. This string fastens to each kite at the spar intersection. All kites are forward facing with the spars on the back side.

Measurements
    Measurements were made with the online ruler at http://iruler.net set for a 12.6-inch display at 1024 x 640.

Function
    Micro Kites have similar functionality to full scale large kites with aerodynamics and can model and test various parameters for handling and flight dynamics. These can fly indoors or outdoors.

Applications
    Intended applications include testing various craft models for efficiency, creating and studying electricity generation through wind, kite parking, multiple kite swarming, and atmospheric air flow study.

Chain Kites
    Chain kites have many advantages of flying higher, farther, as these tiny kites can loft the string which normally weight burdens the single kite and limits height and even range.

The Micro Kite Advantage
    Micro kites can fly in less wind, becoming stable in the slightest breeze or simple air flow. They are ideal for indoor applications though they need a source of air flow.

Purchases
    Buying the kites moves the project forward more quickly and avoids time consuming construction. Also, purchasing these kites almost assures "high quality hand craft" as Chinese are masters of this type of kite industry. Another reason for purchase is to reverse engineer a single kite and study it for designing future crafts.

Budget
    The maximum startup budget for the Kite Division is $12. The budget was met.

10 - Kites, assembled and tethered $7.70
    01 - Kite Reel with String $3.00
    Total $10.70

In the next post we'll examine the string, reel, flying, and a future design for a robotic Propeller controlled Micro Space Kite.
    631 x 469 - 117K
    622 x 468 - 141K
    edited 2011-09-05 08:25
    Kites, I have kites, big ones, little ones, long line twin control, short line combat... oh, and a couple of paper ones too.

Maybe look into the small airfoil types, they can lift a ton of weight, My four foot twin control can lift
    Me(220 lbs) off the ground with around 20 mph wind.

I use 90lb "spider wire" for the control lines of the big kite, and I have parted those lines more than once
    in survival conditions of 25mph + winds.

Of course, if you are looking for speed, My little two line delta, can go from hover to 100 mph in less then two seconds.
    It slows down a little with the competition line, it's embedded with tiny glass bits to cut other control lines.

The long chain kites like you describe, can also lift some weight, they just don't have any steering...

I have seen some pretty wild control systems, everything from cardboard tubes to wrap the string around,
    to Fishing poles (nice for string retreival, but don't stand to close to those guys.)
    And even some battery operated remote control winches complete with anti backlash systems built in.

Kites are fun, just be carefull, I have knocked my launcher unconsious with a two foot stunt kite...:innocent:

-Tommy
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2011-09-05 14:36
    I trust Big Brain's iPhone has all the latest "avoid kite eating tree" apps.
    500 x 445 - 52K
    edited 2011-09-05 16:31
    ...they can lift a ton of weight...
    Tommy:

Good info!

That was something I found surprising. When I was shopping for a larger kite (to loft robots) the seller told me, "in a good wind it will pick you up off the ground." That's when I began thinking about kites as aircraft and shopping for stronger string! Interesting... I wonder if a human has ever officially flown attached to a very large string-moored kite?
    edited 2011-09-05 16:49
    erco wrote: »
    I trust Big Brain's iPhone has all the latest "avoid kite eating tree" apps.
    :) Lab 3 has the iStore app finder. Upon returning, we'll see which apps are for kites..

They fly kites around trees (and power lines) all the time in China, especially in the parks. It's a necessity due to limited space. I'm not sure how they can be so successful at it. I'm getting set up to fly the tiny kite indoors with a robotic fan. At least there's no worry about trees.
    edited 2011-09-05 17:34
    Robotic Propeller Controlled Kite

attachment.php?attachmentid=84845&d=1315268993
    One small kite is used for robotic indoor experiments
    iPhone 3 photo

A Propeller chip system is in the works to control the air flow rate and angle of flow, and regulate the kite's actions and reactions according to Newton's law of motion. Controlling the robotic kite is by the regulating and shaping of air flow that contacts and surrounds the kite.

The air controller is being fabricated from servo motors and a USB Fan shown in a previous post. Automation and regulation can include X-Y axes positioning using two standard servo motors driven and mounted in alt-azimuth fashion. This can control the rate of air pressure by variance in the motors DC voltage.

A USB fan was discussed here.
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?124495-Fill-the-Big-Brain&p=1023201&viewfull=1#post1023201

attachment.php?attachmentid=83631&d=1312261455
    This is a USB DC fan that may be used for Micro Kite control using Propeller chips from the big Brain.

Setup & Testing
    The first tests are made with one kite with a static end position fixed length string, indoors. The test is to regulate the amount of air flow and the incident direction to see if the kite is "flyable."

Additional Information

attachment.php?attachmentid=84846&d=1315269001
    The reel has a left hand handle which serves as a grip, string guide, and bearing mount for the string spool.

The String Reel
    The kite reel is made from a strong polypropylene material and consists of the main string winding wheel, a rotating hand knob to impart the winding motion, a hand grip which also serves as the bearing for the wheel and holds a string metal eyelet to guide the string's winding and unwinding. The string reel is mainly for outdoor use. The amount of string on the reel is unknown at this time.

attachment.php?attachmentid=84846&d=1315269001
    The string reel has a winding knob for dispensing and rewinding string. The knob freely turns as a spindle.

String
    The string is a two part weave of many fiberglass filaments. Exerting strong hand pressure of around 50 to 100 pounds could not break it, so it appears to have good test pull rating for flying a ten chain series of micro kites. It is more likely a kite would pull apart before the string broke.

Distances
    There's nine kite separated by 21-inches for a total distance of 181 inches or 15-feet distance from the first kite to the last kite. Add on the 2-foot long lead string to the first kite. The total is now 17 feet. The length of the string on the reel is added to this.

Flying
    The chain can fly superbly as evidenced by the two Chinese entrepreneurs who were flying and selling the kites at the same time. The woman was flying a chain of 10 kites and in another location a man was flying what appeared to be fifty kites. The kites are very stable even with such small dimensions.
    367 x 489 - 93K
    628 x 480 - 80K
    344 x 449 - 46K
    edited 2011-09-05 18:55
    Your string retriever is just begging for a continuous rotation servo or stepper motor setup..

You will find harness adjustment and weight distribution critical, with harness adjustment being all important.

If you want to move varying loads with repeatability, The ability to easily move the control string,
    onto the center of balance, for the wind conditions, is necessary.(or at the least, very convenient):thumb:
    You can also change the center of balance by changing the length or weight of the tail.

If you lift the same weight, in the same wind every time, then you can make the harness connection more permanent.

-Tommy
    edited 2011-09-06 02:23
    Robo Kite Potential
    More Propeller and BASIC Stamp Kite Apps

This is a preliminary list of potential robotizing that can take place with a micro kite and Propellers. Feel free to contribute to the list. Keep in mind this applies to a micro kite with unknown micro lofting ability.

Due to the ultralight weight, sensors, processors and controls are ground station bound, although it would be interesting to develop some "nearly no weight" devices to ride on the kite.

Astronauts left a reflector on the Moon. A mylar aluminized reflector could be placed on the kite for laser distance imaging. Or the entire kite could be constructed from reflective mylar. Can you think of other "weightless" sensors and devices?

Indoors
    Fan Positioning Standard Servo x-axis
    Fan Positioning Standard Servo y-axis
    Control Unit
    Ultrasonic Distance Unit
    Laser

Outdoors
    String Retriever Continuous Rotation Servo
    String length Gauge (know how much string is out)
    Wind Direction Indicator
    Wind Speed Flow
    Temperature
    Humidity
    Air Pressure
    "No Weight" Payload

OTHER
    Pull Force on string when flying kite
    Pull Force from air current gust
    Peak maximum gust
    Average force
    Minimum force
    String location repeatability setting
    Digital counter with LCD
    Reverse reeling
    Variable speed reeling/ramping
    Electronic brake
    Pushbutton control panel
    Timer
    Data logging of string out to plot the kite height
    Angle measurement
    edited 2011-09-06 02:33
    Ttailspin wrote: »
    Your string retriever is just begging for a continuous rotation servo or stepper motor setup..-Tommy
    I have a continuous rotation servo that would work indoors on the micro kites that require less torquing to reel in the string. Imagine all possibilities of varying the winding rates, reversing directions, ramping the speed, using pushbuttons and controller, automating it with ground based sensors... and probably just attach some peanut butter jar lids to the servo like a wheel with a spacer to hold the string and run it with one of the prop chips.
    edited 2011-09-06 09:04
    Humanoido wrote: »
    ... and probably just attach some peanut butter jar lids to the servo like a wheel with a spacer to hold the string and run it with one of the prop chips.

You might owe PJ some money to license those PB lids from his CypherBot. :)
    edited 2011-09-06 09:32
    It would be hard to use control line length as an altitude indicator.
    Because the farther out the line goes the heavier it gets, and the more it sags.
    I guess you could do the math on the amount of arc in the sagging length of control line...:nerd:

Also, wind speed VS sail mass is going to effect altitude..Alot..
    Thats why when the wind is slow, you find yourself "running" your kite as apposed to "flying" your kite.
    Same amount of control line, but much less altitude...:frown:

-Tommy

P.S. Skippy peanut butter jar lids are the original robot tire, And I think peanut butter is open source now...
    edited 2011-09-06 13:20
    Ttailspin wrote: »
    P.S. Skippy peanut butter jar lids are the original robot tire, And I think peanut butter is open source now...

Don't mess with PJ's PB&J!
    edited 2011-09-06 13:29
    edited 2011-09-06 19:20
    erco wrote: »
    You might owe PJ some money to license those PB lids from his CypherBot. :)
    Everyone wants to jump on the bandwagon today and reap the benefits of recycling clear peanut butter jars and colorful lids. PJ might be hard pressed to collect royalties on the concept of open source recycling. I'm thinking about using a jar lid as a mounting interface for the dual axis "positioner" with two servos.
This discussion has been closed.