Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New 4.3" touchscreen LCD for Propeller: "used" screens almost free w/purchase. - Page 12 — Parallax Forums

New 4.3" touchscreen LCD for Propeller: "used" screens almost free w/purchase.

Comments

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,860
    edited 2009-11-25 17:44
    Ran into a problem with 6-bit mode, seems VGA driver is too fast to read HUB ram the way I want, even will PLL turned all the way down to 500kHz...

But, I'm looking at it closer now and I think if I just shift all the VSCL constants to the left a bit or two or three, I can slow the driver down enough to make this part work...

Still need to see if I can make it slow enough for the SD part...

If all goes well, we'll be able to mix 6-bit from SD image tiles with regular ROM font tiles. This way we don't have to have full screen images...

Also, if this all works out then full-screen 6-bit video should also be possible (albeit with a very low frame rate)...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    My Prop Info&Apps: ·http://www.rayslogic.com/propeller/propeller.htm
  • mctriviamctrivia Posts: 3,772
    edited 2009-11-25 18:52
    Why not bitbang the output then. That is how I am going to do 16 bit color

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    24 bit LCD Breakout Board coming soon. $21.99 has backlight driver and touch sensitive decoder.
    edited 2009-11-25 20:09
    That's how my demo does it, but I didn't see a clear path towards higher refresh rate and also adding in ROM font...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-11-30 00:37
    VSCL wouldn't work because of the pixelclock...

But, I've played some other games and gotten the framerate up to maybe 6 or so, very close to passable...

Here's the latest version (the lcars screen is isn't too bad, but the flicker is still very noticeable in Jean Luc...).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • kerrywkerryw Posts: 61
    edited 2009-11-30 00:49
    My display·is running great. I've seen the graphics demo. Would it be possible to have a graphics driver that uses all of the 480x272 pixels? Even if it has to be one bit per pixel mode?

Kerry

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Heaven help me Marge, I'm just not that smart." - Homer Simpson
    edited 2009-11-30 01:40
    of course it is possible someone just needs to right one.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    24 bit LCD Breakout Board coming soon. $21.99 has backlight driver and touch sensitive decoder.
    edited 2009-11-30 11:29
    kerryw said...

·Would it be possible to have a graphics driver that uses all of the 480x272 pixels?

You can do Graphics full screen, but only not double buffered...· For example, the drawing area in the "PSB Paint!" program could probably be extended to full screen...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-12-01 03:09
    Nick McClick said...
    I just got the Propeller Platform version of the breakout board in the mail on Saturday, and it's now available on Gadget Gangster. Here's the requisite photo:
    232.jpg

Nick, I'd love to buy some of these breakout boards (I just ordered a Propeller Platform board from you). Any idea when these will be available again?

Kerry

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Nick McClickNick McClick Posts: 1,003
    edited 2009-12-01 04:27
    So would I! I'm pretty sure Ray will send me more, but I don't have a delivery date. But if you enter your email on the project page (here), I'll let you know when they're in stock.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Gadget Gangster - Share your Electronic Projects
    edited 2009-12-01 14:04
    I've got a few more ready to ship, but I'm putting together some more PSM units that I want to put in the box too...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-12-02 01:34
    Rayman said...
    I've got a few more ready to ship, but I'm putting together some more PSM units that I want to put in the box too...

Can you reserve one of these for me Rayman or Nick please?

Kerry

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Nick McClickNick McClick Posts: 1,003
    edited 2009-12-02 20:46
    No problemo - I'll shoot you an email when I get them in stock.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Forums RSS Feed!

Gadget Gangster - Share your Electronic Projects
  • M.E.S.HM.E.S.H Posts: 18
    edited 2009-12-02 22:21
    I got some of Ray's LCD's today shipped to Sweden. I was mighty surprised about how easy this went (except for my reversed order for all the VGA pins at first nono.gif ), and not to mention the power of the back-light, wow! In Sweden I've barely got a cheese-sandwich for $5, really happy with the screens, they look brand new as well. The three demos was a real time saver as well, thx man, hope you get something for all your effort to make this happen Ray, this Propeller community thing really makes one remember what was so fun with the Amiga etc.

/M.E.S.H
    1768 x 840 - 368K
    edited 2009-12-03 11:06
    Thanks! You really should thank the guy at this big company who sent me these first displays for about free. He happens to be a Propeller hobbyist and in charge of these displays!

And, I actually think I'm breaking even on this venture (or maybe even making a bit of money) as opposed to my other ventures that probably lose money...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-12-03 13:23
    M.E.S.H.: Thanks for sharing that photo of your setup BTW... It's nice to hear of people getting it working!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • blittledblittled Posts: 681
    edited 2009-12-03 17:23
    Ray, will you be selling anymore touch screens in the future? I had to reallocate my money for a laptop power supply and battery that went bad so I couldn't get any in the last 2 opportunities.·sad.gif I did do something for a friend and got one screen and mctrivia's breakout board in exchange. If I get the PIC Chameleon that's on my Christmas list I'll be using the PIC half to try to build a 24 bit color driver for the Propeller half.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Will work for Propeller parts!

Post Edited (blittled) : 12/3/2009 5:29:48 PM GMT
    edited 2009-12-03 17:49
    Yes, I'm sitting on a box of 100 right now... I need a little break to put some PSMs together and get a 6-bit driver going... But, I'll likely start selling them soon. But, the new price will probably have to be $17 to $19 due to increased costs...

Mctrivia just got my last 40 from the previous batch... Maybe he'll undercut my new price...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-12-03 18:02
    I would not do that. As I said when asking for them I am building an ai platform and needed a cheap touch screen.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    24 bit LCD Breakout Board now in. $21.99 has backlight driver and touch sensitive decoder.
    edited 2009-12-03 18:12
    I wouldn't care, just mentioning it... I didn't know you were keeping them for yourself, I was assuming you'd be selling them...
    Either way is fine with me.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-12-03 18:16
    Yes I am selling but as part of a system. I would not try to undercut you. I am not in competition against you and it would not be fair to take business from you.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    24 bit LCD Breakout Board now in. $21.99 has backlight driver and touch sensitive decoder.
    edited 2009-12-03 19:21
    Rayman, do you plan on selling the PSB (I think that is what you were calling it), the board that supports this display but adds SD, VGA out etc.? I'd love to buy one for a project I'm working on.

Kerry

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • tdeyletdeyle Posts: 85
    edited 2009-12-03 20:18
    Rayman said...
    kerryw said...

Would it be possible to have a graphics driver that uses all of the 480x272 pixels?
    You can do Graphics full screen, but only not double buffered... For example, the drawing area in the "PSB Paint!" program could probably be extended to full screen...

How would one go about that? I changed the constants for the x_tiles and y_tiles to match the LCD. In doing that, I had to change the amount that the x and y tiles were multiplied in the GraphicsBytes declaration from 32 to 16, due to memory constraints. I also declared a constant memory location for the bitmap and display bases. As well, I changed the offsets to zero to get the graphics area into the corner of the screen. See below.

CON  'Constants for Graphics Demo
     [b] x_tiles = 30 [/b]  'width of graphics area
     [b] y_tiles = 17  [/b] 'height of graphics area 
      GraphicsBytes=x_tiles*y_tiles*[b]16[/b]
      _stack = ( GraphicsBytes + 100) >> 2   'accomodate display memory and stack  

paramcount = 14       
      bitmap_base = [b]$3000[/b]'$5000    'these are the same because not double buffering...
      display_base = [b]$3000[/b]'$5000

lines = 5
      thickness = 2

GraphicsXOffset=[b]0[/b]
      GraphicsYOffset=[b]0[/b]

Problem is, I get a screen that accepts "painting" input until about column 19, then it displays random characters. See photo attached.

Obviously, I am not familiar with video displays, my exposure to displays is limited to character and graphic LCDs, and any help would be appreciated.

Post Edited (tdeyle) : 12/3/2009 8:28:28 PM GMT
    800 x 600 - 134K
    edited 2009-12-03 20:31
    Hmm, I noticed that the random characters are part of the ROM that starts after $8000. So I replaced the constant memory location with the previous declaration of $8000-GraphicsBytes. However, I do not think there is enough memory to display this, since I still get part of the ROM characters on the right side of the screen.
    edited 2009-12-03 20:34
    kerryw: Yes, I'll be selling PSB very soon. I actually have 50 "like new" lcds in reserve for that one...

tdeyle: I don't see anything obviously wrong with what you've done. Problem·is probably a few lines down in the code where you have to point each of the graphics tiles to a spot in memory... Make sure you make the x and y changes there too...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-12-03 20:58
    tdeyle: I'll take a look at it when I get home today...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-12-03 21:00
    Rayman said...
    kerryw: Yes, I'll be selling PSB very soon. I actually have 50 "like new" lcds in reserve for that one...

tdeyle: I don't see anything obviously wrong with what you've done. Problem·is probably a few lines down in the code where you have to point each of the graphics tiles to a spot in memory... Make sure you make the x and y changes there too...

Great! I bought 5 of the displays from you. Do you plan on selling any without the screen? If you need beta testers let me know [noparse];)[/noparse]

Kerry

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-12-03 22:05
    Oops, I see I was wrong about going to fullscreen... Turns out the drawing area is already much bigger than that of "Graphics Demo", when I recalled them being the same...

Graphics Demo is 16x12 tiles double buffered
    Paint is 22x13 tiles single buffered.

So, it looks like we'd have to make a monochrome version of Graphics to get fullscreen [noparse]:([/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-12-03 23:26
    Hmm. Maybe I will be able to put graphics in a section of tiles, while having text in the rest.

I am trying to make a monitor for a device that reads sensors and perhaps graphs them while being updated.

Only a part of the screen would need the graphics portion, the rest can be text and variables.
    edited 2009-12-04 00:04
    Well, you can do a modest increase in graphics area...
    Just change these lines like this and get 23x15:
      x_tiles = 23   'width of graphics area
      y_tiles = 15   'height of graphics area 

GraphicsXOffset=0
      GraphicsYOffset=2

Might be able to get a bit more if you remove those embedded 2-bit graphics...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-12-04 02:14
    Thanks, I'll try it out.

And that's another question I had, how are the DAT files created to make the bitmaps?