Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ULTIMATE List of Propeller Languages - Page 6 — Parallax Forums

ULTIMATE List of Propeller Languages

Comments

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2009-10-04 23:32
    Yes Hippy, I agree.

However, to reinforce heater's statement. CPM and Zicog can (and will in V1.0 release) support just the Prop Proto & Demo Boards (it is a bst compile option, as is CPM2, CPM3, etc). However, beyond V1.0, that will not be supported. So, only an SD card is required plus a prop - actually nothing else other that either a PC or serial terminal. Of course, we only have 20K-25K available for CPM so not everything will run.

If/when I get time, I will thik about making the SD be the CPM RAM - it will be a SLOW incarnation but it will work and may be useful for some to try it out. Parallax now has an SD board for sale (IIRC is't microSD), as do many of the forum members, and also Digilent.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Links to other interesting threads:

· Home of the MultiBladeProps: TriBlade,·RamBlade, RetroBlade,·TwinBlade,·SixBlade, website
    · Single Board Computer:·3 Propeller ICs·and a·TriBladeProp board (ZiCog Z80 Emulator)
    · Prop Tools under Development or Completed (Index)
    · Emulators: Micros eg Altair, and Terminals eg VT100 (Index) ZiCog (Z80) , MoCog (6809)
    · Search the Propeller forums·(uses advanced Google search)
    My cruising website is: ·www.bluemagic.biz·· MultiBladeProp is: www.bluemagic.biz/cluso.htm
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2009-10-06 20:18
    @hippy

This list will be reworked again after the remaining languages are added to the list.
    As previously mentioned, links and/or actual downloads will be supplied along with
    their source links. There is nothing stopping anyone from contributing links, download
    information, and various source materials. I intended the thread to be a kind of
    proactive place for contributors to the collection which can be shared.

humanoido
  • RossHRossH Posts: 5,346
    edited 2009-10-06 20:27
    @humanoido,

You can now add P4 pascal. See the Catalina 2.1 thread.

Ross.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Catalina - a FREE C compiler for the Propeller - see Catalina
    edited 2009-10-06 20:31
    The list needs only 6 more working Propeller chip languages.
    The most recent posted list is now updated. A big thanks to RossH
    for his latest entry! Can you add a new one? The latest addition:

PASCAL P4 COMPILER INTERPRETER USING CATALINA C BY ROSSH
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=844004
    homepages.cwi.nl/~steven/pascal/

This program can only be run on the TriBladeProp with 1Mb SRAM installed
    (the Hybrid with the HX512 does not have enough RAM).

humanoido

Post Edited (humanoido) : 10/6/2009 8:36:18 PM GMT
  • MicrocontrolledMicrocontrolled Posts: 2,461
    edited 2009-10-07 00:40
    I will soon have one to add myself! I am sure that it will be a big hit in the Propeller community.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Computers are microcontrolled.

Robots are microcontrolled.
    I am microcontrolled.

But you·can·call me micro.

Want to·experiment with the SX or just put together a cool project?
    SX Spinning light display·

edited 2009-10-07 05:26
    Microcontrolled said...
    I will soon have one to add myself! I am sure that it will be a big hit in the Propeller community.
    How soon will your language entry be ready? Can you give us some details about what you are developing?

humanoido
    edited 2009-10-07 06:11
    Added ROBOT BASIC
    A PDF file describes how to run this language with the Propeller chip.
    www.robotbasic.org/resources/RobotBASIC_To_PropellerChip_Comms.pdf

humanoido
  • heaterheater Posts: 3,370
    edited 2009-10-07 09:06
    Forgive me if I am wrong but is it not the case that that ROBOT BASIC runs on the PC communicating with the robot's Prop rather than actually on the Prop. Therefore it should not be included in this list of propeller languages.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    For me, the past is not over yet.
    edited 2009-10-07 11:21
    If all goes smooth, it will be ready in about a week. It, unlike other Prop languages, uses 2 props. One for the language, one for the compiler and editor.(And so far it is an AWESOME Editor!)
    What it is (no one steal my idea!) is a Prop that simulates ITSELF! Why? Because the demand for a portable propeller programming system is high. People will buy laptops JUST for the purpose of programming a Propeller on the go! With this program, they can be porta-programming in less then a fraction of the cost! I am trying to learn how to actully program a prop instead of just simulating a prop program, but I cannot figure out how. The two modules will be able to seperate and I already have a function that dumps the previously saved program into the Serial Terminal so you can copy and paste it into Propeller Tool. Work continues on this project and it will eventually be my entry into the Propeller Design Contest, so I won't post any code yet!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

I am microcontrolled.

• Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2009-10-07 13:20
    Sounds like a winner to me...

Have a look if you haven't at Michael Park's compiler/editor for more ideas.
    He's been working something along the same lines.

Looking forward to seeing this..
    Can you share your dual-prop hardware details so we can be ready?
    (Perhaps a new thread when you are ready. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Visit the: The Propeller Pages @ Warranty Void.
    edited 2009-10-07 14:56
    I saw a comment made by WBA Consulting in a tread a while back hinting that he may be working on the same. I have to beat him to it! When the compiler itself is made (or at least half made) I will post a thread on it. The hardware is 2 Protoboards (with one USB) wired togather. One has pin sockets so that the I/O pins are free. This one is the simulator. The other one (the USB one) is the Editor. The Editor is wired to the same keyboard port and video port as the other one, so they share a keyboard. It needs a TV display (a portable DVD player for portability) and a keyboard.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

I am microcontrolled.

edited 2009-10-08 05:15
    heater said...
    Forgive me if I am wrong but is it not the case that that ROBOT BASIC runs on the PC communicating with the robot's Prop rather than actually on the Prop. Therefore it should not be included in this list of propeller languages.
    This is absolutely correct. It's a language that runs on the PC and communicates with the Propeller chip's SPIN language. It will be removed from the list and kept as a sub-note.
    edited 2009-10-08 05:25
    A Subnote section is added to the list. It will include languages that run on the PC and communicate with the Propeller chip according to a set of provided instructions (hardware and software related). These languages do not load into the Propeller chip are not counted as Propeller chip languages.

humanoido

Post Edited (humanoido) : 10/8/2009 5:41:32 AM GMT
    edited 2009-10-08 05:35
    microcontrolled said...
    The hardware is 2 Protoboards (with one USB) wired togather. One has pin sockets so that the I/O pins are free. This one is the simulator. The other one (the USB one) is the Editor. The Editor is wired to the same keyboard port and video port as the other one, so they share a keyboard. It needs a TV display (a portable DVD player for portability) and a keyboard.
    Sounds like an awesome project with a very viable purpose! Thanks for the hardware setup preview and look forward to the completed package.

humanoido
    edited 2009-10-08 16:03
    Add MoCog - A Motorola 6809 emulator for the Propeller, by heater.
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=811043

humanoido
    heater said...
    Here is MoCog version 0.2. Still nowhere near complete but pretty much all arithmetic/logic ops have code in place and do what they should. No flags settings in place yet. Immediate, Direct and Extended addressing modes are working. Speed is up to 458KIPS for single byte instructions.
    edited 2009-10-10 02:54
    Added OUROBOROS - Basic Compiler for the Propeller chip by Mike Green
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=846612
    Here's the thread with a copy of Ouroboros
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=805638

humanoido
    Mike Green said...
    Some time ago, I posted some early work on a Basic compiler for the Prop called Ouroboros. This included a very simple editor (very limited) that stored its text on an SD card. There was a compiler that read a file from the SD card into a 32K page of EEPROM and processed the program there, writing the compiled code to a 2nd 32K page of EEPROM and keeping the symbol table in a 3rd 32K page of EEPROM. There was a set of library routines to do scanning, dictionary maintenance, and output code handling. You might find some useful routines there. Use the Parallax Google search engine to look for that thread (at search.parallax.com). Ouroboros and ouroboros1 are left-overs from a project to make a Basic to LMM compiler for the Propeller. I forgot to delete them from the archive for the Winbond/SRAM driver. They're not in the Object Exchange version of the driver.
    edited 2009-10-10 03:06
    We need only 4 more Prop languages to reach goal!!!
    Can anyone find a Prop language not on the list?
    Any long lost early developments?

(for a list of collected languages, see the updated list posted on the previous page)

humanoido
  • danieldaniel Posts: 231
    edited 2009-10-10 13:20
    For something completely different, you might consider:
    • Ladder Logic
    • G-Code

I do not have the Properller resources to see if these can be compiled or run, but here are some links. These are written in some form of C or Basic, although one has an assembly sort routine. Likely both would require a bit of work to fit to one of the propeller platforms.

Ladder Logic, a PLC programming language (further description at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ladder_logic) can be found in the form of ClassicLadder and at various places on the web--here is one location: wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?ClassicLadder.

G-Code, a motion control language for 3-D Cartesian coordinate machines such as lathes or mills (further description at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G-code). This in also found in several forms, here is one DOS-based (compiled with Borland C): tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/CNCPro/files/UserBuilt/ToolzNGlue/.

I have explored G-Code on a Stamp, and have several articles posted, links below (note that the last is uncompleted, and while the Stamp source-code is absent, the other links point to interesting information). This effort was based on a product called GW-BASIC program Stepster (source referenced these links):
    And while we are on motion, several years ago, Newzed (Sid), now deceased, had migrated his home-brewed motion language processor from the Stamp to the Prop. Perhaps this thread may point the way: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=674624.

Daniel

Post Edited (daniel) : 10/10/2009 1:33:25 PM GMT
    edited 2009-10-11 05:39
    Good ideas daniel - maybe someone can implement the Propeller versions. Things are moving along nicely for several people working on Propeller languages and emulators.

humanoido
    edited 2009-10-11 05:51
    Added 6502 assembler by Potatohead
    then I found a version by baggers.

Can anyone sort these out?
    Are these the same version worked on by different people?

How many different Prop 6502 implementations are there and by who?
    I understand these are working partial versions in development and that's ok.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=767703
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=846492

Looking for only two more Propeller languages to reach goal.
    I am interested in long lost language implementations
    in any stage of working condition for the Propeller chip.

humanoido

Post Edited (humanoido) : 10/11/2009 5:59:47 AM GMT
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,254
    edited 2009-10-11 07:48
    These are different projects. Eric is currently working on a core. The older project is on hold, and was initiated by me, contributed to by Baggers.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness!
    Chat in real time with other Propellerheads on IRC #propeller @ freenode.net
    Safety Tip: Life is as good as YOU think it is!
    edited 2009-10-11 09:29
    Potatohead, thanks for sorting this out. Mainly I want to list all language versions and give credit to everyone involved for their significant efforts. By the way, congratulations on all your fine projects! You are in the core group advancing the Propeller envelop which is greatly appreciated.

humanoido
    edited 2009-10-11 16:10
    Added RGW_Tiny_Basic from the Hydra disc

www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/sw/HYDRASourceCodeDemos.zip

humanoido
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,254
    edited 2009-10-11 21:30
    So many language efforts! This is kind of cool actually. Thanks for keeping tabs on them.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness!
    Chat in real time with other Propellerheads on IRC #propeller @ freenode.net
    Safety Tip: Life is as good as YOU think it is!
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2009-10-12 02:46
    I wrote a faster spin interpreter so guess that would count too??? It was based on Chip's Interpreter. Unfortunately, I added a bug near the end and then got sidetracked onto other things. I am sure I released an older working version. See my signature under the Tools link.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Links to other interesting threads:

· Home of the MultiBladeProps: TriBlade,·RamBlade, RetroBlade,·TwinBlade,·SixBlade, website
    · Single Board Computer:·3 Propeller ICs·and a·TriBladeProp board (ZiCog Z80 Emulator)
    · Prop Tools under Development or Completed (Index)
    · Emulators: Micros eg Altair, and Terminals eg VT100 (Index) ZiCog (Z80) , MoCog (6809)
    · Search the Propeller forums·(uses advanced Google search)
    My cruising website is: ·www.bluemagic.biz·· MultiBladeProp is: www.bluemagic.biz/cluso.htm
    edited 2009-10-12 07:17
    Faster Spin Interpreter Added!

Thanks to Cluso99, this remarkable high speed SPIN interpreter language implementation is added!!!
    Cluso99 said...
    I wrote a faster spin interpreter so guess that would count too??? It was based on Chip's Interpreter. Unfortunately, I added a bug near the end and then got sidetracked onto other things. I am sure I released an older working version. See my signature under the Tools link.
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=753439
    Spin Interpreter: A faster ram resident version of the Spin Interpreter originally done by Chip in Rom.
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=731577
    Under development and testing.
    Added ClusoInterpreter (v260C_007F) language
    The thread, support goodies and information is here:
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=731577
    The download is here:
    http://forums.parallax.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=55810

humanoido
    edited 2009-10-12 07:33
    Does anyone have a download of JDForth?
    The website is not working from this location.

humanoido

JDForth - Forth to Spin Compiler by Carl Jacobs
    www.jacobsdesign.com.au/software/jdforth/jdforth.php
    Includes: 32-bit floating point math. Simple Serial at 57.6K.
    Fib(28) in 0.86 seconds. ~3x faster than spin, ~40% larger than spin.
  • SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2009-10-12 09:31
    Hi humanoido.

It works for me BUT it is only demo ... Fuly featured JDForth is PAY program.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Nothing is impossible, there are only different degrees of difficulty.
    For every stupid question there is at least one intelligent answer.
    Don't guess - ask instead.
    If you don't ask you won't know.
    If your gonna construct something, make it·as simple as·possible yet as versatile as posible.

Sapieha
    edited 2009-10-12 11:23
    Saphieha: Thanks for checking the web site. A note is made that JDFORTH is a demo or program for sale.

humanoido
    edited 2009-10-12 14:24
    hop.gif Today is the big day - reached 100 Propeller languages!!! yeah.gif

By the way, still collecting programming languages... There may be some duplicates on the list. Will sort these out by posting author names. Actually the list is slightly over a hundred languages. This list, and the continuing list, will advance the Propeller chip, which is a goal of this project. The project has become the "keeper of Prop languages." You are welcome to post language information here, add to the list, post list language links and thoughts.

Still looking for working "works in progress" and long lost forgotten languages, even in the smallest working stages.

humanoido

Post Edited (humanoido) : 10/12/2009 2:38:10 PM GMT