Basic Stamp Supercomputer
    Three Dimensional Computer
    Penguin with 12 Brains
    Penguin Tech
    StampOne News!
    Penguin Robot Society
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2009-07-06 19:52
    Announcement - Stamp SEED Supercomputer!
    All new! This is a ten core, nine month project, with the 1st Stamp AI software to fit into 256 bytes eeprom - self determinate, evolving, enumerating, dreaming, poetic, noisy, talkative, and downright friendly. It runs on only one program that self evolves differently in each of the ten computers. It's evolutionary - it's revolutionary! http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=21&m=361377&p=1

humanoido

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Minuscule Stamp Supercomputer
    Stamp SEED Supercomputer
    Basic Stamp Supercomputer
    Three Dimensional Computer
    Penguin with 12 Brains
    Penguin Tech
    StampOne News!
    Penguin Robot Society
  • Lab RatLab Rat Posts: 289
    edited 2009-07-10 02:31
    humanoido said...
    That's 21 batteries when the entire system is fired up as the main BSS has boards that run on 9-volt batteries too.
    humanoido
    I was sitting here thinking what if you got a 9 volt battery snap for each stamp board and ran them all in parallel to a regulated nine volt source this would forever keep you from buying batterries every week or so whenever i am at home i use a five volt source applied after the on board regulator but if you hok the wires in backwards by accidrnt your stamp is gone trust me i know i have successfully killed my stamp it was the worst day of my life when my basic stamp 2 died. it was a horrible death and the first time i smelt burnt deadness on the stamp(that nasty smell of a burnt out circuit board)
    ·but have fun and great job.

ps yeah i know i am a few pages behind but it has been a while since i logged in because of the whole frying my stamp thing

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Parallax posesses power beyond belief.

Believe in it.
    edited 2009-07-10 06:36
    Lab Rat, you must get a new stamp. We live and learn from our experiences.
    What you suggest is actually the way the BSS is powered. There's a lab
    bench power supply that provides a regulated 9-volts to all the stamps in
    parallel.

It can be a little confusing when connecting a 9-volt clip to a Stamp board,
    as opposed to a 9-volt battery, because the color code on the clip will be
    opposite of what you think about ground and + V.

To visualize this better, think of the clip as a battery and only look at the
    shape of the clip. Remembering the male is +V and the female is ground
    will help. I would suggest to Parallax, on all stamp boards, to continue
    printing the white label by the battery connector, showing + and - . This
    is very helpful.

humanoido
  • Lab RatLab Rat Posts: 289
    edited 2009-07-10 12:02
    i have known about the reverse of the polarity when using the batterry snap as the battery and i am working on getting either a new stamp or a prop board i will see what i ca get my paws on in the near future i have had lots of fun with the stamp but i think i wouldlike to learn the advanced programing features of a prop.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Parallax posesses power beyond belief.

Believe in it.
    edited 2009-07-17 01:27
    Lab Rat:

Whichever processor you get, Stamp or Propeller, I know you will
    create a fantastic project and everyone on the Forum looks forward
    to seeing your projects!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    humanoido
    *Stamp SEED Supercomputer *Basic Stamp Supercomputer *TriCore Stamp Supercomputer
    *Minuscule Stamp Supercomputer *Three Dimensional Computer *Penguin with 12 Brains
    *Penguin Tech *StampOne News! *Penguin Robot Society
    edited 2009-08-04 21:20
    Decoupling Capacitors
    The use of decoupling capacitors is recommended for all Basic Stamp Supercomputers.
    Choose a .1uf capacitor and connect from the power source circuit input Vss to Vdd.
    The function of decoupling is discussed in detail in numerous places.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decoupling_capacitor

www.google.com/#hl=en&q=bypass+capacitors&aq=f&oq=&aqi=&fp=gxFYct4ZzkE

www.seattlerobotics.org/Encoder/jun97/basics.html

www.intersil.com/data/an/an1325.pdf

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    humanoido
    *Stamp SEED Supercomputer *Basic Stamp Supercomputer *TriCore Stamp Supercomputer
    *Minuscule Stamp Supercomputer *Three Dimensional Computer *Penguin with 12 Brains
    *Penguin Tech *StampOne News! *Penguin Robot Society

Post Edited (humanoido) : 8/4/2009 9:46:25 PM GMT
  • unknownunknown Posts: 10
    edited 2009-08-11 07:42
    For the earlier idea about the BSS and the earthquake sensors an SX would be good fot the outer areas because it is cheap, but a BSS would be good for the hub with its easy to program interface, but an SX would do well too with 12, 20, or even 36 I/O. The network would have pepherials(SX), hubs (SX made), and proccecors(BSS). 3 SXs would be good too, 1 proccecor, 1 reciever, and 1 trandmitter, This way it can proccess signal in and signal out at the same time.
    edited 2010-03-03 21:21
    unknown said...
    For the earlier idea about the BSS and the earthquake sensors an SX would be good fot the outer areas because it is cheap, but a BSS would be good for the hub with its easy to program interface, but an SX would do well too with 12, 20, or even 36 I/O. The network would have pepherials(SX), hubs (SX made), and proccecors(BSS). 3 SXs would be good too, 1 proccecor, 1 reciever, and 1 trandmitter, This way it can proccess signal in and signal out at the same time.
    Good points. I think the detector could easily announce when a person enters the room, or be calibrated to detect someone in front of the supercomputer. No PIR needed. [noparse]:)[/noparse] Detecting the vibrations is straightforwared, however quake waves must have their specific waveforms identified and this is more complex. On the point of the SX, it would boost the speed too.

humanoido

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    humanoido
    *Minuscule Stamp Supercomputer *Tiny Stamp Supercomputer *Penguin with 12 Brains
    *BASIC Stamp Supercomputing Book *Three Dimensional Computer *StampOne News!
    *Penguin Tech *Penguin Robot Society *Toddler Humanoid Robot Project
    *Ultimate List Prop Languages *Prop-a-Lot *Prop SC Computer - coming soon!
    *Prop IB Hypercomputer - under development *Robotic Space Program
  • edited 2010-03-28 20:29
    what are you gonna use your supercomputer to?
    edited 2010-04-01 21:10
    KapteinFredrik (norway) said...
    what are you gonna use your supercomputer to?
    The education that I get from these supercomputers is the greatest value and it continues. The Basic Stamp Supercomputer is the first in a continuing line of similar projects with additional features and strengths. I consider each project to be a step on a ladder, reaching upwards towards a higher plateau of evolution. With each, there's testing and designing of new circuits and new software, and I do my best to make the details and plans available to everyone to hopefully have as much fun as I have and share in the information.

I began avidly putting multiple Stamps together back around the year 2002, to create a kind of bigger and better brain for humanoid robots. I recall experimenting with two to four connected Stamps to gain added ports and extended software commands and do serial control of servo motors. My overall goal was to create a giant brain that could power humanoid robots. The plan was to use upwards towards hundreds of BASIC Stamp processors!

I am still on the learning path of more powerful super computers, and have another BASIC Stamp version in the works that's very unique and useful. I have also progressed to the Propeller chip with eight cores. You have to blame those guru dudes on the forum for egging me on to start with the prop. They have caused such a propeller passion that consumes all my time! [noparse]:)[/noparse]

You can read about the Propalot saga in "Propalot Stuff." It describes the continuing evolution of connecting together ten Propeller chips on a breadboard to create a tiny little paralleled cluster. This cluster is evolutionary from my viewpoint - containing 80 computers and 320 controlling ports, running at up to 2,000 MIPS. That's two billion instructions per second in a space the size of your dinner plate. The uses are learning, fun, trying out various designs, experimenting, wiring up hardware, learning SPIN and other languages, programming various effects, etc...

Another surprising benefit of the BSS and SEED supercomputers is that they bring new friends. Nearly every week, someone requests that I run one of the supercomputers through its paces. Of course the talking BSS is very impressive to my Chinese friends, because it's programmed it to speak in Chinese. But I must say, the SEED supercomputer, is loved by everyone. They enjoy watching the life forms evolve and to see their responses on the debug screen (such as getting to know the neighbors, memorizing, reciting, napping, sleeping, working, etc.) Each of the ten processors have a little beeping piezo speaker and we all know they are talking back and forth to each other in some kind of binary code.

One time, the program finished and about 10 minutes later - suddenly- they started beeping to each other. Your guess is as good as mine... I have no idea what they were talking about... (the program had become too big and some parts were overwritten and it took on a mind of its own)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    humanoido
    *Minuscule Stamp Supercomputer *Tiny Stamp Supercomputer *Penguin with 12 Brains
    *Penguin Tech *Penguin Robot Society *Toddler Humanoid Robot Project
    *Ultimate List Prop Languages *Prop-a-Lot *Propalot Stuff *Prop SC Computer
    *Prop IB Hypercomputer - under development *Hobby Space Program

Post Edited (humanoido) : 4/2/2010 6:42:57 AM GMT
  • legoman132legoman132 Posts: 87
    edited 2010-06-05 15:12
    How much power did this use? Perhaps you could put some solar panels and a battery of some sort and make it the Green BASIC Stamp Supercomputer (GBSS). Then it could be used anywhere where the sun shines, running on solar energy.
    edited 2010-06-06 10:14
    GREEN Stamp Supercomputing
    legoman132 said...
    How much power did this use? Perhaps you could put some solar panels and a battery of some sort and make it the Green BASIC Stamp Supercomputer (GBSS). Then it could be used anywhere where the sun shines, running on solar energy.
    legoman132, you have a good idea. Want to try it? The Green BASIC Stamp Supercomputer can run on solar Panels - the exact power drawn depends on the configuration. For example, if you consult the Handbook of BASIC Stamp Supercomputing, http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=841541 you will see that ten BS1 boards draw 65mA while ten boards with piezo speakers require 80mA. 80 mA / 1000 = .08 A. This is at 5-volts. So using our power formula:

P = E x I P = 5 volts x .08 A P = .4 Watt

Parallax has a series of solar panels that can be used in singles or added together to produce around 5-volts and deliver enough power to drive the Basic Stamp Supercomputers in sunlight. A storage battery and circuit, charged in the daytime and delivering power at night creates a day/night unit. The Parallax solar panel (Solar Panel 6V@1W,125x63mm $7.99) can be adapted to this application.

For other Stamp boards, calculate the current draw and add up the total number of boards. For example, a BS2px will draw considerably more power than a BS1 or BS2. The example above works for the BASIC Stamp SEED Supercomputer, seen here: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=817126

and the BASIC Stamp Module Comparison is here (for power draw ratings, less board):
    www.parallax.com/tabid/436/Default.aspx

Here's a list of Parallax solar panel offerings.
    Solar Panel 30 Watts 6-volts @ 4.9 Amps $149.99
    www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/659/Default.aspx?txtSearch=solar+panel
    Solar Panel 18V@10W,340x280mm $59.99
    www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/655/Default.aspx?txtSearch=solar+panel
    Solar Panel 6V@1W,125x63mm $7.99
    www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/619/Default.aspx?txtSearch=solar+panel
    Solar Panel 9V@1W,135x135mm $9.99
    www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/654/Default.aspx?txtSearch=solar+panel
    2.5 Watt Solar Cell 0.512 volts @ 4.9 amps $9.99
    www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/660/Default.aspx?txtSearch=solar+panel

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    humanoido
    *Penguin Tech *Penguin Robot Society *Humanoid Toddler Robot
    *Ultimate List Prop Languages *Prop-a-Lot *Propalot Stuff *Prop SC Computer
    *Prop IB Hypercomputer - discontinued/chip shortage *Hobby Space Program

Post Edited (humanoido) : 6/6/2010 10:23:18 AM GMT
    edited 2010-10-11 23:23
    This is to announce the hobby TSS Tiny BASIC Stamp Supercomputer and update the family list of BASIC Stamp supercomputing machines.

The TSS is number SEVEN out of seven BASIC Stamp Supercomputers and Stamp Computing Machines.

BASIC Stamp Supercomputers now include the following family. For links, refer to the signature.

BSS - BASIC Stamp Supercomputer
    SEED - BASIC Stamp SEED Supercomputer
    TRICORE - Three Cores
    MINUSCULE - Minimal Two Core Machine
    TSS - Tiny BASIC Stamp Supercomputer
    MOM - Master Offloader Machine
    TWO STAMP BSS (BS2sx + BSpx)
    AM - The Algorithm Machine

The Grapevine Speculation
    Will there be another BSS? Considering that the BSS family and its spinoffs now encompass almost all BASIC Stamp boards and modules, it is possible that the torch may pass on to the Propeller chip. The question is, are there any new Stamp boards or modules that could be utilized in future projects that would show some new features? There is some thought about making a "super stamp" out of a Propeller chip. The Super Stamp would have the extra memory and speed (+cogs) of the prop, yet program in BASIC and have PBASIC functions and a similar module form factor. There is some discussion about using the SPIN Stamp for this purpose. One idea is moving towards more cost effective multiplicities. The propeller chip is about $1 per computer and this remains highly competitive. So what is coming up? You will begin to see some enhancements for modules and chips that can be applied to the BASIC Stamp and the Propeller chip, as well as dedicated supercharged machines.
  • KaosKiddKaosKidd Posts: 296
    edited 2010-10-12 09:05
    WOW.
    That about says all that I can say about this entire project. It's awesome!
    edited 2010-11-21 22:27
    BASIC Stamp Supercomputers Update
    The BASIC Stamp Supercomputer family has grown! The TSS, Tiny Stamp Supercomputer is now a completed project with schematics, available code, and posted in the Project Forum here! The TSS has the smallest physical size - a 7-core portable USB designed machine with a BELKIN HUB. The TSS fits in a soup bowl or coat pocket. For a complete list of links, refer to the signature. Here's the Stamp supercomputer list in order of the largest number of Stamps to the smallest.

Seven BASIC Stamp Supercomputers
    1) BSS - BASIC Stamp Supercomputer (20-Stamps or more)
    2) SEED - BASIC Stamp SEED Supercomputer (10-Stamps)
    3) MOM - Master Offloader Machine (10-Stamps)
    4) TSS - Tiny BASIC Stamp Supercomputer (7-Stamps)
    5) TRICORE - STS Stamp Tricore Supercomputer (3-Stamps)
    6) MINUSCULE - MSS Minuscule Stamp Supercomputer (2-Stamps)
    7) TWO STAMP - 2S, BS2sx + BSpx (2-Stamps)

BASIC Stamp Supercomputer Family Machines
    AM - The Algorithm Machine (2-Stamps)
  • RavenkallenRavenkallen Posts: 1,057
    edited 2010-12-03 09:48
    Hey man, i saw a article about your Stamp supercomputer in a magazine. It was either Nuts and Volts or it was Robot. It was still cool regardless, congrats!!
    edited 2010-12-07 22:04
    Hey man, i saw a article about your Stamp supercomputer in a magazine. It was either Nuts and Volts or it was Robot. It was still cool regardless, congrats!!
    Thanks Ravenkallen. In the January/Feb. 2011 issue of Robot magazine, page 16 in the LERN section you saw the BASIC Stamp Supercomputer. This is actually the new portable project TSS - Tiny Stamp Supercomputer that uses seven cores and a BELKIN USB HUB. In the same issue of Robot magazine, you can see two more articles about robot humanoids in China.
    edited 2010-12-09 18:36
    TSS link here.
    edited 2010-12-09 18:36
    Tentative New UT BASIC Stamp Supercomputer
    A new spinoff of the BSS is in the design works.
    The intended configuration will have the smallest
    physical design of all BASIC Stamp supercomputers
    created to this date. The current plan is for a plane
    of processors, not a stack. A tiny green board will
    be used with sockets and computers, and will plug
    in and unplug for reconfiguring. This may end up
    as an Ultra Tiny shirt pocket sized machine. Plans
    are to include a version of Tiny AI that will run on
    a sub-core level of the machine's capacity, probably
    the first three cores. If time permits, a larger core
    Tiny AI version will be written. At this time, two Tiny
    AI programs exist, one for 3-cores (the Tri-Core)
    and one for 10-cores (SEED).