Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BASIC Stamp Supercomputer - Page 7 — Parallax Forums

BASIC Stamp Supercomputer

Comments

• robots42robots42 Posts: 27
    edited 2009-03-17 12:51
    There was a post on the number of files usable on a USB flash drive mentioning 512.
    This maybe has something to do with FAT16 and number of files in the root directory.
    Just tried with a 2Gb USB Fat32 flashdrive.
    I copied to the flash drive a folder with 2564 files without problem. Folder size was over 10Mb
    I copied the 2564 files to the root directory of the flash drive without problem.

David
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2009-03-18 05:46
    robots42 said...
    I copied to the flash drive a folder with 2564 files without problem. Folder size was over 10Mb
    I copied the 2564 files to the root directory of the flash drive without problem.

David, what are the specs on your operating system? Are you saying the system was used to simply drag the folder over to the FAT32 flashdrive for copy? Thank you.

humanoido
  • StormKing09StormKing09 Posts: 29
    edited 2009-03-24 01:15
    Um, humanoido, a quick question about your schematics. CAN ANYONE EVEN UNDERSTAND WHAT THE @&*# IS SHOWN THERE?!?!?!?! Seriously dude, make it READABLE. and please re-read my post. It asks for a ZIP file with the codes and schematic pics.

PS: I also got and idea for a BSS controlled house from your supercomputer project.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (thefulcrum22) : 3/24/2009 2:35:58 AM GMT
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-03-24 05:58
    What's wrong with the schematic? It's certainly not a traditional engineering diagram, but it is effective in indicating what is connected to each pin. If you have a specific concern, why not mention it instead of making a broad accusation?
    thefulcrum22 said...
    Seriously dude, make it READABLE. and please re-read my post. It asks for a ZIP file with the codes and schematic pics.

You're going to rip off humanoido's extensive work and effort, but are not willing to put in enough of your own to download a few files? That's just loathsome...
  • StormKing09StormKing09 Posts: 29
    edited 2009-03-24 21:32
    It's just that it doesn't show everything. I did ask for multiple diagrams indecating what connects to what and how the Stamps are connected to each other. also, I wasn't trying to rip off humaniodo's work, I was mearly stating that it's hard to understand, at least for me. But sorry if you thought that I was trying to rip off his work.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-03-25 04:28
    More About BSS Schematics

If there is a question about a schematic posted here, please identify which schematic you are referring to by providing a link or thread page number. Next, please ask a specific question about the schematic. I can provide answers and help in this regard.

The original schematic is complete and conventional symbols are used throughout (with the exception of LEDs which did not have the "light" arrow in this drawing program), showing the Stamps and peripherals connections. The second schematic posted shows the upgrade in drawing programs which do have the LEDs and the light arrows. When duplicating the project, a good understanding of interfacing lines, such as Vss, Vdd, and Vin is helpful, for attaching lights and switches, then connecting power. This information is found in "What's a Micro" posted at the Parallax web page.

To reiterate: Vss = ground (-), Vdd = +5 volts DC regulated, and Vin = 9 volts DC.

The original schematic does show multiple connection diagrams. For example, all connections are shown for the light emitting diode bar at left. Connections begin with computer 1 through computer 10 (C1 through C10). Each computer uses P1 port for the LED.

attachment.php?attachmentid=59596attachment.php?attachmentid=59597

The switch bar is similar, shown to the upper right. SW1 would be the mains power switch. SW2 through SW10 connect to Vin, which allows one to power up or power down individual computers. SW2 is for computer 1, SW2 for computer 2 and so on. Expand this for more computers.

The BSS operating sequence is: 1) switch on the mains power switch, 2) switch on each individual computer. The wiring allows one to operate the supercomputer in "any number of computers" mode. I frequently like to run tests with 3 computers for example, and I keep SW1 (Mains), and SW2, SW3, and SW4 (computers) switched on. It also allows spot hardware configurations, i.e. speech on 9 can be enabled and run by itself during development. OR its possible to run 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19 and 22 for supercomputer testing and programming.

The +9 volt supply side comes from the batteries. I used a connection with 9-volt battery clips and tied this side together, so the clips are in parallel to maintain the 9-volts. The power supply is not shown. It comes from my lab bench supply when substituting for batteries. It simply connects to the clips and routes through the mains switch (SW1). Please take a look at the schematic for the 3D computer shown above on this page. At lower left, it shows a pictorial drawing of how to connect together the battery clips. These are standard 9-volt battery clips.

At lower right, the power jack is shown. These are two banana connectors, J1 & J2. These connect to the 9-volt battery clips (+ and -) and SW1 as shown. The banana jacks allow the lab bench power supply to plug in.

One final note, the schematic was drawn when the unit had 9 (and then 10) computers. Since that time, it has expanded to around 25. It is simple to see the wiring scheme progression for adding more computers.

A simple way to get the zip file is here.
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=765140
    www.robotinfo.net/penguin/supercomp.html
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=770232

I hope this helps.

humanoido

Post Edited (humanoido) : 3/25/2009 5:20:08 AM GMT
    318 x 212 - 14K
    177 x 127 - 3K
    edited 2009-04-02 08:04
    3DC
    I will probably break off the 3D Stamp Computer into its own thread as it will be developed as a single project for a while. As an update to the 3DC, I'm currently developing application ideas and outlining the software. It appears that once you work with multiple stamps, rather than one, there are many new applications never tried before with stamps.

This opens up all new ideas and programming possibilities. Once it is fully developed, there is great potential for connecting it to the Basic Stamp Supercomputer. It the current state of the 3DC, three computers can attach to the BSS. However, these will need their own space and levels to achieve their programming tasks which are affected by space and proximity. I searched the web for similar proximity apps with basic stamps and didn't find any. This is going to be all new territory for the stamp.

I have also considered working with the BSS in a way to convert it to a multi-dimensional supercomputer, and program it for apps that are designed for 30 dimensions. That may require a rearrangement of the stamps in space time. While I've thought of an abundance of apps for the 3DC, the multiple dimension BSS (MDBSS) is going to take some considerable thought. Exactly what apps are most suited to 30 dimensions? It's definitely new space to trod upon...

humanoido
    edited 2009-04-02 08:18
    BSS Spinoff Technology
    Another spinoff technology for the BSS is currently being developed. Rather than developing the app specifically for the BSS and on the BSS, the approach is to develop it for the Penguin robot and transfer it to the BSS. Penguin already has the sensors built in so this will save some time. You remember when Penguin Robot was interfaced to the BSS? It had the clustered power of 12 brains. Now, if we can wireless beam that 12 brain power over to a single Penguin robot? Imagine the possibilities. One project worked on now for the BSS and Penguin is wireless communication. Several methods will be deployed and reported here. Mainly IR, Optical, Bluetooth, and RF.

humanoido
    edited 2009-04-02 08:23
    Some BSS Wireless Considerations
    I have mentioned the big four - wireless communications with IR, Optical, Bluetooth, and RF. Is there any thought about the use of sound to communicate with the BSS? Perhaps the PING))) can be used in some manner, or the piezo speaker. Only a single stamp would be required to sense on/off higher frequency sound level. Any suggestions for a VERY SIMPLE EAR listener?

humanoido
    edited 2009-04-02 08:43
    BSS Function Library
    SRLM, you have some good ideas about developing a BSS library of functions. This is already accomplished on a beginning level. The following hardware modules are BSS developed and completed, i.e. they are fully functional with Stamp versions:

EMIC Text To Speech
    Sound output
    Light Output
    PIR Human and Motion Detector
    LCD Output Device
    Accelerometer Experimenters Platform
    PING))) Ultrasonic Detector Ranger
    Temperature Module

When the Penguin robot is connnected, it offers the following additional modules:

One Infrared Receiver
    Two Infrared Transmitters
    Sound Transmitter
    7-Segment Display
    Two Servos for bi-motion
    Single Button Input
    Two Photodetectors (CaS)
    Compass

Modules in experimental mode:

Camera
    Data Logger
    USB Flash Drives
    USB TeraByte Incremental Drive
    OPTOELECTRONIC Light Wave Interface

Not talked about are software modules. These will be addressed at a future post.

humanoido
  • WynandWynand Posts: 39
    edited 2009-04-04 15:11
    Exelent work humanoido... Can't wait for the 3d Stamp Computer, looks like a stunner.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Why didn't I think of THAT!!!!
  • Rob7Rob7 Posts: 275
    edited 2009-04-06 13:54
    humanoido,

How can I get my hands on the "Spring 2009 StampOne News?"

Rob7
    edited 2009-04-07 14:58
    Spring 2009 StampOne News

The Spring 2009 StampOne News is almost complete!
    The feature article for the 3D Stamp Computer is being
    expanded with some included software. Some extra
    programs for app demos are a must for this remarkable
    new project invention.

Since the new electronic magazine is all about Stamps,
    look for it first posted in the Stamp Forum. The 3D
    Stamp Computer is a spinoff of the Basic Stamp
    Supercomputer, so maybe some information will
    appear here as an announcement update.

As I understand, a web page will be made for StampOne
    News at the PRS Robot web site, which also includes the
    Penguin (robot) Tech Magazine. In the future it would
    be nice to have a posted thread for the 3DSC at the Parallax
    Forum for questions and answers, and a web page for it
    here. A link is provided.

www.robotinfo.net/penguin/

Here is a tiny galley proof preview.

attachment.php?attachmentid=59906

humanoido
    461 x 343 - 32K
    edited 2009-04-10 16:50
    Software
    A recommendation was made for baud mode on the Basic Stamp Supercomputer, to change to T9600 + Inverted + Open while keeping a 10K pullup resistor on the line. Since the BSS is working with the existing software and baud mode, can anyone explore the differences in more detail? I have used the inverted open mode on the Master Offloader and it works too.

humanoido

Post Edited (humanoido) : 4/10/2009 4:55:18 PM GMT
    edited 2009-04-10 17:00
    3D Stamp Computer Update
    Programming is now completed on the BSS Spinoff - 3D Stamp Computer, and the article will be included in BasicOne Stamp News Spring 2009 premier issue. The testing went without a hitch, the code works flawlessly, and the apps are all listed in the article. The schematic is fully tested and verified. I wrote 11 programs for the 3DSC, all are now tested and working.

humanoido
    edited 2009-04-10 17:08
    StampOne News! Update...
    The mag has entered the proofreading stage, all articles are complete.
    The feature article is the 3D Stamp Computer, with plans on how to
    build your own. Since all the software is included in print, with the
    article, I would like to ask the forum if individual files for the same
    are necessary? It would save a lot of time if people could copy the
    program from the magazine using copy and paste. It would be a
    good idea, faster, simple, save on storage, and make more time for
    new projects. What do you think?

humanoido

attachment.php?attachmentid=59991
    A Black & White print copy is used for proofing,
    the current stage of StampOne News!

Post Edited (humanoido) : 4/10/2009 5:37:18 PM GMT
    294 x 219 - 8K
  • P!-RoP!-Ro Posts: 1,189
    edited 2009-04-10 19:25
    Sorry, but I have to ask. How many thousands of $$$'s have you spent on this project?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    PG
    edited 2009-04-11 08:22
    Pi Guy, Basic Stamps are always a good investment. If you are interested in counting, every project has a cost analysis - for example, the full article in StampOne News! explains how to build a 3D Stamp Computer for about $50. If one had to purchase all the parts at premium prices, it will still run under $100. These project postings and articles offer cost saving tips. If you're really set on building the 3DSC and are strapped for cash, build it with 2 dimensions instead of 3. That would need only two Stamp boards, 2 LEDs, and two Piezo speakers. Need to cut it more? You could omit the two LEDs and run the space-time sound experiments. Don't have the brass spacers? Use some old discarded pen housings cut down to size. The same holds true for the BSS. The circuit will run with only two Stamps. However, there is no rule against doing some of these larger projects which require more patience, considerable time, energy, and resources. The results they bring are immense. Investment in education is known to bring new jobs, welcomed career changes, higher wages, greater knowledge, better grades, higher standards of living/more affluence, mind changing new ideas and new creative invention.

humanoido

Post Edited (humanoido) : 4/11/2009 12:13:22 PM GMT
    edited 2009-04-11 14:05
    Supercomputers, until recently, cost millions of dollars, and never existed at the hobby level. If you can get a supercomputer for a thousand dollars, or a hundred dollars, you'd better grab it while you can. That's why we build stuff, rather than buy outright. I once built a 40-inch diameter telescope that was appraised at 1.1 million dollars. I had maybe a thousand dollars into it, and ten years of labor. So the actual value was much higher than the investment in materials. The labor was educational and a learning experience that led to my new work as a professional astronomer. So if you have an opportunity to do a big project, take it, because what you put into it will come back to you a hundred fold.

humanoido
  • P!-RoP!-Ro Posts: 1,189
    edited 2009-04-11 23:25
    I do take such opportunities, Humanoido, but it doesn't normally go over 2 grand (although I'm sure Parallax would enjoy it if I did!)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    PG
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-04-12 00:47
    Hey, that's how I justify the hobby too! Since I'm still in school (university), I tell myself: "Might as well learn this stuff now so that you get a good job." And you know what? It works! I got a scholarship out of the blue without even applying for a robot that I built, and a job here at the university tutoring for computer science. And guess what? They asked me if I wanted the job. So, it does pay off to be good at something. Although, it's certainly not as much as I've invested... [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2009-04-15 17:28
    Note: the 3D Stamp Computer is now a completed project
    and posted here as the main source of information.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=799964

humanoido
    edited 2009-04-18 07:00
    BSS News!
    List of Multiple Stamp Projects

If you've created a stamp project based on the Basic Stamp Supercomputer,
    or similar, using 2 or more stamps, let us know for inclusion in our news listing!

Humanoido - Minuscule Stamp Supercomputer, mss, so small you might miss it!
    It was made mainly to test software for the Stamp SEED Supercomputer.
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=821451

Humanoido - Tiny Stamp Supercomputer, on the way! It is now wired with all the
    cores and undergoing testing. The TSS is the only hand held Stamp Supercomputer.

Humanoido - Stamp SEED Supercomputer! All new! This is a ten core, nine
    month project, with AI software - self determinate, evolving, enumerating, dreaming,
    poetic, noisy, talkative, and downright friendly. It runs on only one program that
    self evolves in each of the ten computers. It's evolutionary - it's revolutionary!
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=817126

NGL posted a great new project based on the BSS. Named Basic Stamp
    Tower BST, it has RB500 Bluetooth, usb datalogger, Infrared Temp sensor,
    Floating Point Math processor, etc. The update has a spin stamp.
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=798966

Mike2545 has created his tower version using cutting boards and threaded rod.
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=798966

vrossi connected two Stamps for his Advanced Boe-Bot. He includes schematic,
    code, diagrams and pdf file.
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=783408
    www.robotinfo.net/penguin/ABBot.html

Humanoido completes the 3D Stamp Computer (3DSC) using 3 stamps.
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=799604

Humanoido builds the Master Offloader Machine (MOM) with ten BS1s.

Humanoido creates a Penguin robot brain with 12 stamps.
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=765509

Humanoido puts together a 2-stamp version.

Humanoido builds the Basic Stamp Supercomputer (BSS) starting with 11 stamps.

Post Edited (humanoido) : 7/6/2009 7:39:42 PM GMT
  • NinjaTechNinjaTech Posts: 8
    edited 2009-05-02 10:00
    Woah, my heads hurting because it looks very very complex and i'm just intimidated by how awesome your project looks.
    I'm new to this forum, and I have three words to say.

YOU
    ARE
    INVINCIBLE!
    edited 2009-05-05 05:38
    Supercomputer Tower Framework
    There are two versions of the Tower framework used in the low cost
    Basic Stamp hobby supercomputer.

1) a framework is made up of four long threaded rods cut to size
    and platforms are attached with holes drilled in the four corners.
    The platforms can be any workable scrounged material like the
    half size clip boards used in the first section of the BSS or
    cutting boards used by Mike2545.

2) a framework is made up of board spacers, chosen at a size
    that allows a hand to reach in between boards for wiring and
    configuring. There are no added platforms as the Basic Stamp
    boards become the structure. This is the approach adopted
    for the second section of the BSS, and by ngl for his Basic
    Stamp Tower.

humanoido
    edited 2009-05-05 05:51
    NinjaTech, welcome to the Forum! And thanks for your compliments.
    The project is actually quite simple and once you get started, it's
    impossible to stop. Two things - 1) it leads to learning vast amounts
    of information and becomes a great educational experience, and
    2) it's so much fun you'll want to keep on going, and do more
    and more. I also find a third reason - the "experiment factor." It's
    just so much fun experimenting with Basic Stamps and inventing
    new things, or working on all the fascinating experiments in the
    Parallax educational books. If you're just starting out, I would
    highly recommend any of the stamp kits, including a Basic Stamp
    Two, and What's a Microcontroller. The kits with parts are the best
    because everything is included.

humanoido
    edited 2009-05-18 13:06
    No one responded about projects with more than one stamp. I know there's more of these because I remember seeing some details in the past. If you run across one of these posts, make a note of it so it can be included in the next update of the multiple stamp directory and time line. These projects, though few, are historically important in the development of the BSS and BST.

humanoido
    edited 2009-06-11 00:50
    Announcement - Coming Soon! Stamp Baby Supercomputer!

This is the latest spinoff from the Basic Stamp Supercomputer BSS. Using all Parallax
    parts and processors, another Stamp supercomputer is born.

[i][b]Stamp Baby Supercomputer
    [/b][/i]
    At least eight months in the making, and nicknamed the "Baby," the
    [i]Stamp Baby Supercomputer[/i] is a significantly different project from the BSS.

Intended for use with a [i]Hive Algorithm,[/i] it has no Master, and uses a completely
    new tower design called the [i]Skyscraper[/i].

It communicates bidirectionally with the BSS, other supercomputers and Stamps,
    and [i]Home Base,[/i] using a Parallax 433 Mhz Radio Frequency Transmitter and
    Receiver pair.

This makes [i]Baby[/i] so powerful, it can direct and command an entire group of
    computers and supercomputers located in an office building, given the wireless
    range over a full city block.

Programming is different too, as the Stamps use another version of PBASIC.
    Signal LEDs and the LCD are not needed. The piezo speaker is retained for
    signaling, debugging and communicating with the operator in the new
    [i]Piezo Language[/i].

humanoido

edited 2009-06-16 01:20
    Stamp Supercomputer News!
    New Cost Effective Stamp Supercomputer

Pi Guy: there is a new Basic Stamp Supercomputer in the works that will be extremely cost effective and even more affordable at the hobby level. It is expected to be released after the Baby Stamp Supercomputer is complete. To date, the Baby is the most cost effective hobby Stamp supercomputer.

Baby Stamp Supercomputer Update
    The Baby is currently having a control panel soldered into the Skyscraper. I hope to complete the Crown mounting today. A Taiwan electric hobby tool is used to machine the edges and drill out the mounting holes. The Panel includes switches for an event timer and data input. The wiring harness is complete and the overall unit is very tidy as most wiring is covered. The harness has zero cost wiring sleeves with four twist tie points exposed to check and reconfigure wiring when necessary. Last week, the cage and banner was completed, along with the basic wiring. To reduce topple, a larger base was added. Vacant cable clamps (2) were added at the bottom for host wiring. The first phase software testing was completed. I have written some test software so far, and will work on the main cluster code after completing the wireless radio wiring and radio test software.

BSS Update - "Power On" All Boards
    There are some key points to update about running the Stamp computers within the collective on the Basic Stamp Supercomputer BSS, Baby, and other one wire systems with multiple computers fed with a single distributed source Vin. It is advised to run all computers, i.e. power on all boards at the same time, and do not remove all Vin to but a single board unless you intend to remove all its wiring. This is because the all Vss points tie together in common, and all Vdd is tied together. This will result in one computer's 5-volt regulated circuit trying to power all the others which is excessive. Therefore, the new procedure to operating the Basic Stamp Supercomputers will simply be "power on all units at the same time."

humanoido
    edited 2009-06-18 13:57
    Supercomputer Manual of Applications

One thing we don't have yet is a manual of Basic Stamp
    Supercomputer Applications. I have started the manual
    for the next upcoming Basic Stamp Supercomputer and
    ask for application ideas that can be developed in a
    short period of time with minimal resources. I hope this
    can be the "What's A Basic Stamp Supercomputer?" on
    a magnitude similar to "What's A Micro?"

So let's hear about some things that will make good
    project applications for a chapter in the "What's A Basic
    Stamp Supercomputer?" Thanks in advance.

humanoido