Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PropGFX Lite DIP40 *** WIP UPDATE *** - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

PropGFX Lite DIP40 *** WIP UPDATE ***

Comments

• Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-02-18 15:10
    Nice work Baggers!

(and I thought I was going to have to really watch for those sprites. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with the Protoboard? - Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card? - PropDOS
    A Living Propeller FAQ - The Propeller Wiki
    (Got the Knowledge? Got a Moment? Add something today!)

• BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2008-02-18 16:01
    parts-man73, Yeah, well, it's kinda connected, with it being computer graphics [noparse]:)[/noparse]

OBC, lol [noparse]:)[/noparse] yeah, there was just one or two sprites wasn't there [noparse]:D[/noparse]

edit: for those who don't know, This, is running on our Hybrid board, ( Propeller board·like Hydra, but with SD card·on the board·) streaming the video from SD, and sending it over the databus to our PropGFX Lite ( Dip40 based Propeller dedicated graphics chip for use with any microcontroller or computer for that matter if you so wish lol ).

Baggers.

Post Edited (Baggers) : 2/18/2008 4:08:55 PM GMT
    edited 2008-02-18 22:34
    And now for another quick conversion [noparse]:)[/noparse]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyFtnEhDL7U

This time it's that lovable gorilla [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Post Edited (Baggers) : 2/18/2008 10:42:20 PM GMT
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,110
    edited 2008-02-27 21:59
    Baggers really has been pushing the boat out...

Check out his latest work including the upcoming release 'Joypad Hero'

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    PropGFX Forums - The home of the Hybrid Development System and PropGFX Lite

Title_Logo_Small.jpg
    edited 2008-02-27 22:42
    Tell me he really isn't playing a laserdisc game on a prop?!! Comon guys.. some of us are drooling all over the place... [noparse]:)[/noparse]

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Post Edited (Oldbitcollector) : 2/27/2008 10:57:39 PM GMT

• OwenSOwenS Posts: 173
    edited 2008-02-27 22:48
    Out of curiosity...

Can we see a picture of the expansion-to-DIP40 board? :P
    edited 2008-02-27 23:46
    OBC, yeah, It's the full Dragons Lair, played on a prop, well, two props, and an SD card [noparse]:)[/noparse] how sweet is that lol
  • computer guycomputer guy Posts: 1,113
    edited 2008-02-28 08:25
    Baggers,

How did you convert the game for the prop?
    That is great. smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Check out my robot using the propeller RECONAUTOR
    If you like my avatar then check this out Propeller Domed Sticker
    edited 2008-02-28 09:02
    Wrote it from scratch, just the same as the Joypad Hero ( Guitar Hero clone )

Dragon's Lair
    Was pretty easy, once I had the video's converted, it was just a case of playing it, with a joypad/keyboard record function, which I wrote to record what frame and what key/joypad direction was pressed, then on the play side, checks for that key/joypad direction, for a varied time ( depending on difficulty ) around the frame it was recorded at, if you didn't press the key/joypad in time, then it goes to lose life frame for that sequence, otherwise it just continues playing the video, until the end of the sequence, then goes to the next section of video [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Joypad Hero
    Same video play + key/joypad code was used for Joypad Hero, except the key/joypad had some modifications, ie, not hitting the key doesn't kill you immediately, it just lowers your ROCK status [noparse]:)[/noparse] and when you get the keypress right, your ROCK status increases [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2008-02-28 09:09
    OwenS,

LiteMount1.jpg

LiteMount2.jpg
    edited 2008-02-28 09:10
    cool. Thanks Baggers smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-02-28 09:11
    No probs [noparse]:)[/noparse] happy to explain
    edited 2008-02-28 09:36
    Just out of curiosity, will the converter board come with the Prop GFX lite?
    Or will people have to make their own?

Thank you smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-02-28 10:22
    @Computer guy

What you see in the picture is a prototype.

We will be making the adapter board available to buy with the Lite as a package.

It has a dual use in that it can be used either as an adapter for the Lite or as an experimenter pcb for your Hybrid or Hydra.

Coley

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Title_Logo_Small.jpg
  • stevenmess2004stevenmess2004 Posts: 1,102
    edited 2008-02-28 10:41
    Would you sell the design/software if I wanted to include it on my own board? At the moment its only an idea that may get done.
    edited 2008-02-28 11:12
    @stevenmess2004

We have had a few enquires regarding licencing and yes we are looking to include that option when we release the product.

I need to look a bit further into firmware licencing beforehand though.

Coley

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Title_Logo_Small.jpg
  • stevenmess2004stevenmess2004 Posts: 1,102
    edited 2008-02-28 11:20
    Don't worry about it for me yet. I'm just a mechanical engineer who only has a small amount of time to dream about what he can do with a prop and not all that much time to actually do itsmile.gif
    edited 2008-02-28 11:29
    LOL and I thought it was only me who was like that..... tongue.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Title_Logo_Small.jpg
  • william chanwilliam chan Posts: 1,326
    edited 2008-02-28 13:37
    Why use 40 pins for PropGFX?
    Isn't it too many?
    How would a Main Processor like the SX deal with a 40 pin PropGFX?

I think 20 pins would be sufficient.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.fd.com.my
    www.mercedes.com.my
    edited 2008-02-28 13:49
    It's not all 40 pins, we just use a Dip40 package, because the PropGFX Lite's components all fit on, the Propeller, the clock, the eeprom, the resistors and caps, and the RCA for TV out [noparse];)[/noparse]

The SX would deal with the 40pin PropGFX over the databus ( 10 pins which are 2 control pins + 8 data pins ), or just 2 pins in serial mode ( serial mode speed hasn't been finalised yet ) but it'll be 9600.8.N.1 to start with, then I'll get it the fastest I can get it, and you can then set it to that.
    edited 2008-02-28 14:33
    What is the picture quality of the Movie Player?
    Is it about the same quality as a VCD player? ( The YouTube Video is not clear enough to determine )

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.fd.com.my
    www.mercedes.com.my
    edited 2008-02-28 14:35
    I don't think you are giving it a fair demo on the LCD monitor, I'm betting a CRT would look better in the video.
    Awesome re-use of portable gear.. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

edited 2008-02-28 15:39
    William, it's a prop, with normal prop output, so it's using the 86 prop colours in the video, it's not brilliant ( incase it starts deSilva and MikeGTN off again lol, but good enough for me [noparse]:)[/noparse] )

OBC, I recently upgraded my main tv to an HD LCD because I needed it for work, anyway, so can't see it on a CRT, but your right, I'm sure it'd look a lot better on that.

What better use for a PS1 LCD than a Propeller [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • Mike_GTNMike_GTN Posts: 106
    edited 2008-02-28 21:47
    @Baggers, I have gone back to 405 line TV B&W (I don't seem to have any colour issues as yet!) The possible only downside is not too much material to view. Which does become a plus point in general terms. I think we should go back to the days of the musical interlude.

Your project is certainly very impressive indeed, plugable (with an additional carrier board) in to a Hybrid/Hydra expansion slot is very clever thinking. Obviously won't even mention here about the possibilities with other Micro Controllers (yes they do exist) Is really Propeller hats off to the hardware and software team behind this interesting project.

Regards

Mike.
    edited 2008-02-28 22:11
    @Mike

Thank you for your kind comments, it only helps to spur us on!!!

Well we are working away on several Tech demos at the moment that use other Micro's

We have a USB PIC based design which we plan to feed the Lite with Data direct from a PC, design is done and we have a working board so Baggers is about to start work on that next.

After that we will be doing an eZ80 based ethernet driven device as the Z80 is very close to Baggers' heart.

It's so hard going back to PIC from Prop and it seems so archaic now, we are spoiled by the ease of deployment with the Propeller, it truly is a wonderful piece of hardware!

Coley

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Title_Logo_Small.jpg
    edited 2008-02-29 09:04
    Hi Mike_GTN,
    Thanks from me too on your kind comments.
    We chose the plug in slot, because we didn't want to limit it to just one application, as it has far many more uses [noparse]:)[/noparse] and yes, some other uC's do exists, even if we have been very spoilt with the propeller,
    I only realised yesterday how spoilt we are with the propeller and proptool, when I come to setup a project,
    So to Chip and indeed all @ Parallax, a big thanks, not only a great micro, but an amazingly simple to setup environment, and not having lots of setup faff to run through.
    We also thought if we show the other uC users the power of the propeller, then more might be swayed to swap. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Baggers.
    edited 2008-02-29 11:58
    How many COG does PropGFX use up?

What can the PropGFX do that the Hydra by itself cannot do?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.fd.com.my
    www.mercedes.com.my
    edited 2008-02-29 13:14
    Well, for a start, it uses up ALL the cogs, so maximises on sprite count
    It can also use up ALL of the memory ( for the display + info buffer ) as the code resides in the cogs. [noparse];)[/noparse]
    Host chip then sends stuff to it, and handles the game side of things, without having to worry about display cogs or double buffers for bitmap graphics.

The Hydra could do what a PropGFX Lite does, but wouldn't have any ram left for SPIN or infact a cog left to run the Spin emulator,

RAM limitations has been an issue with Propeller based games, especially when trying to squeeze sampled sound effects + graphics in, so by removing the display side of things, to be external in a second propeller, this lightens the load on the propellers RAM, enabling more game content to be used. especially when you also have access to an SD card like on our Hybrid [noparse];)[/noparse] but you must agree, you wouldn't have ever thought it possible to have the full Dragon's Lair game on two little microcontrollers, until now [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Baggers.
    edited 2008-02-29 13:20
    Where you get the hybrid board that has the SD card holder?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.fd.com.my
    www.mercedes.com.my
  • Damien AllenDamien Allen Posts: 103
    edited 2008-02-29 13:20
    the PropGFX dedicates a whole Prop for graphics processing, so effectively you have 16 COGS available for a game rather than 8. Currently there are some good games written for the prop such as Hydraman. The game is little more than a demo of what it could be due to memory and COG limitations. Now imagine what that game could be like with all the graphics processing done by another prop.