Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Prop-2 Release Date and Price - Page 5 — Parallax Forums

Prop-2 Release Date and Price

Comments

• Dave HeinDave Hein Posts: 6,347
    edited 2015-06-17 14:19
    JDat, if you don't know the answers to all of the questions you posed you just haven't been following the forum for the past 4 or 5 years.
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2015-06-17 14:25
    JDat wrote: »
    Be happy that there are so much of propeller users and be patient for another great satisfaction from parallax.
    This is what I'm a bit worried about. I don't see evidence of very many Propeller users hanging around the forums these days. Of course, that might very well be because the weather is nice and people aren't sitting in front of their computers as much. I hope that's the reason and not that they've drifted away.
  • JDatJDat Posts: 103
    edited 2015-06-17 14:56
    Shiuld Microchip and, later, Atmel and Acorns worry about I drifted away to Propeller? Propeller is strange MCu, not general purpose. Not every one can understand it. That, who understood, will continue to use propeller, or... Right tool for problem solving. Actually I am using Arduino for typical problem solving and for projects where typical programmer involved. Only if I am the only developer and I can argument that Propeller have real benefits, than I am using propeller to solve problem. The main. If someone want to drift from propeller, that he will drift and nobody will stop him. It's like in relationship... You know what I'm talking about. There will be arduinos (and similar *duonos), ARmberries etc, but... That small core, who understand propeller benefits will stay with propeller. I am proud, that I can feel difference from general purpose (PIC,AVR,ARM etc) and alternative (propeller) and hat I am using propeller. It's not about to get new toy (P2) or whatever in mainstream. It's about thinking an philosophy. So be patient. If P2 must to born, it will born. If P2 will be failure (sorry for this, Actually it will not happen), that it also OKay. That an evolution.

Sorry, I'm too philosophic after 3 beers.. :) Anyway, be prod that you understand P1 and can look to low level emvedded stuff from differnet POV, not like scipti ciddes, who are using python and copy/paste for led or button matrix, even of it sometimes OKay to use linux for some blinkenlight.
  • koehlerkoehler Posts: 598
    edited 2015-06-17 17:21
    JDat, 2 things are going on here, at least.

1. Hobbyists, can wait, can be 'are we there yet, are we there yet', can drift in, away, up, down, etc, etc. Aside from high-value forum posters or Makers who blog about it, it probably means little to Parallax's bottom line. The pressure this should exert on Parallax/Chip should be minimal.

2. Large customer, can wait, but considering the past 3 or so years, may very well seriously start investigating moving to other platforms as delays occur, Parallax swings from TMI to public to not a squeak, all the while the 'other' options are getting cheaper, smaller, faster, more cores, more memory, etc, etc. The pressure this should exert on Parallax should be the primary motivator, unless the income from the Parallax e-commerce is doing well enough to support Parrallax.

Short answer is yes, Parallax should worry. P2* isn't an iPhone or Quake5 where demand is such that one can simply say it'll be done when its done.

*And this is speaking as ignorant of any of the financials of Parrallax, which I know Ken's love to read about, and could quite possibly be bassackwards.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2015-06-18 05:47
    JDat,
    Hwy P2 image release dare is so important that some guys are pushing to dates? Are you not satisfied with P1? Does P1 work so bad, that you need P2 ASAP?
    Us old hands are great supporters of Parallax and promoters of the Propeller. The P1 is a wonderful thing.

Some of us have created tools for the P1 and some of us, not me, have created tools for the PII. So you can guess from all that there is great anxiety over the endless waiting for the PII.
    One of the interesting feature for P2 is code protection.
    Interesting but of not much use to me.
    All other needs (including bit bang) are Okay with P1
    Sort of. Appart from the endless requirement for more pins, more COGs, more memory. more speed. Not asking much really.
    So it's if P2 will be released after another 2 or 3 years.
    I belive some of us have already died waiting. I begining to think that I might. No, seriously.
    So... What is main purpose for P2?
    Same as the P1 but more so.
    Propeller is strange MCu, not general purpose. Not every one can understand it.
    I have to disagree here. Having multiple cores is not so strange any more, see XMOS and others, as a micro-controller the Prop is more general purpose than many. I believe that when users realize they need multiple functionalities in their application all running at the same time they are ready to find out that it is much harder to achieve on a single core MCU with interrupts or an RTOS than it is on a multi-core Propeller or XMOS.
    edited 2015-06-18 06:10
    Heater: Just out of curiosity, why do you call the new chip PII instead of P2? It seems like every one else is using P2 as the abbreviation including Chip. Not a big deal. Just wondering.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2015-06-18 06:26
    Roman numerals are quite common. For instance, Altera uses them for their Cyclone FPGA parts and Quartus software versions. Strangely, they use both Roman numerals and decimal for their Arria parts, with Arria V and Arria 10.
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,214
    edited 2015-06-18 06:47
    Prop2 is the one true way!
    edited 2015-06-18 07:41
    David,
    ...why do you call the new chip PII instead of P2? It seems like every one else is using P2 as the abbreviation including Chip.
    Just trying to bring some class to the proceedings :)

More seriously that's an interesting observation. To be honest I never thought about it and wasn't really aware I did it.

I guess when you are as old and British as I am, closer to LX than L dammit, Roman numerals come naturally. As in clock dials, paragraph/section/chapter numbers in documents, Biblical verse references, dates engraved on buildings. Back in the day we did not have version or revision numbers, we had "Marks", as in Mark I, Mark II, Mark III etc.

Some times I forget that the yong'ns have no idea what I'm talking about. We are the last generation that swam in a soup of Roman numerals, inches, feet, yards, pounds, shillings, pence, dozens and gross etc but at the same time also at home fully metricated and SI.
    edited 2015-06-18 07:48
    evanh,

I presume you mean "Prop II" right :)

By the way, didn't you guys number your Super Bowl events in Roman numerals? The last was XILIX. Seems when it comes to L that was too boring so it became 50.
    edited 2015-06-18 07:49
    Heater. wrote: »
    David,

Just trying to bring some class to the proceedings :)

More seriously that's an interesting observation. To be honest I never thought about it and wasn't really aware I did it.

I guess when you are as old and British as I am, closer to LX than L dammit, Roman numerals come naturally. As in clock dials, paragraph/section/chapter numbers in documents, Biblical verse references, dates engraved on buildings. Back in the day we did not have version or revision numbers, we had "Marks", as in Mark I, Mark II, Mark III etc.

Some times I forget that the yong'ns have no idea what I'm talking about. We are the last generation that swam in a soup of Roman numerals, inches, feet, yards, pounds, shillings, pence, dozens and gross etc but at the same time also at home fully metricated and SI.
    I'm not a yong'n. I'm LXII.
    edited 2015-06-18 07:52
    Younger than me, you whipper snapper :)

Edit: Oops, seems I was reading my Roman numerals backwards for a moment there.
  • tryittryit Posts: 72
    edited 2015-06-19 01:24
    Spring ends Sunday, 21st June 2015. At the very least, Parallax should issue an update in https://www.parallax.com/news .

Even if the FPGA image is not ready, the professional course of action is to provide an update.

By the end of Spring, can we expect the final specs to be released? How about the official name? Prop2, P2, P-Due, PII, TurboProp, Propduino, Propeller-2, TurboProp, TurboJet, Scramjet?
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,214
    edited 2015-06-19 04:39
    By the way, didn't you guys number your Super Bowl events in Roman numerals?

Super! - https://www.bowlsnz.co.nz/Category?Action=View&Category_id=3866
    edited 2015-06-19 04:53
    I prefer a supper bowl myself.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=114509&d=1434714816
    275 x 183 - 9K
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2015-06-19 06:18
    ^^ this forum needs a like button :D
    edited 2015-06-19 06:49
    Baggers wrote: »
    Like buttons are probably patented by Facebook. :-(
    edited 2015-06-19 13:06

What about "Unlike" or "Dislike" buttons?
    edited 2015-06-19 13:11
    JDat wrote: »
    What about "Unlike" or "Dislike" buttons?
    How about a button to order P2 chips?
    edited 2015-06-19 13:19
    Later! Later! Use Force (or Forth) to be patient.
    edited 2015-06-19 13:39
    I hate "like buttons".

(Hmm...which is not to say that I would like "hate buttons" by the way)
    edited 2015-06-19 16:41
    It was only referring to the fact that I liked your post Heater :P
    edited 2015-06-19 18:07
    Thanks Baggers. I did realize that but then a whole conversation on "buttons" took off.
    edited 2015-06-20 03:42
    Very true :D and no worries!

It's really for when you don't need to put a comment, but you're just showing appreciation for a specific post.

Edit: it also helps stopping the thread from going off in a tangent. :D
    edited 2015-06-20 03:54
    Very true :D and no worries!

It's really for when you don't need to put a comment, but you're just showing appreciation for a specific post.

Edit: it also helps stopping the thread from going off in a tangent. :D
    All of the P2 threads go off on a tangent almost immediately since there is no real information to discuss.
    edited 2015-06-20 03:59
    I like tangents. :)

Well, today is the day for an FPGA release or some info at least. Right?
    edited 2015-06-20 04:08
    I like tangents. :)

Well, today is the day for an FPGA release or some info at least. Right?
    On Saturday? Probably not until sometime next week at the earliest but what do I know?
    edited 2015-06-20 04:15
    I don't mind if it's a Saturday :)

Actually I'm jumping the gun. The solstice / end of spring is tomorrow. It's just that over here the big celebration is always on a Saturday.
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2015-06-20 05:53
    Spring has sprung,
    The grass has riz,
    I wonder where the P2s is????
  • Dave HeinDave Hein Posts: 6,347
    edited 2015-06-20 06:05
    There are still 27 and 1/2 hours until the end of Spring.