Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
The unofficial P2 documentation project — Parallax Forums

The unofficial P2 documentation project

Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
edited 2013-09-21 05:52 in Propeller 2
I've started up a Google document with the text from Chip's latest posts for documenting the P2 and I have been dressing these up as best I can in the meantime along with tables and diagrams. seairth has also contributed to this and slowly we are not only dressing it up but adding in more stuff from posts etc.

The web-page version of the document is viewable without any signing in required
If you want to contribute then go to the Google document and request sharing.

Now if only we could get Chip to add stuff to this page instead of that plain text that's embedded in one of the posts.

EDIT: A training copy of the document is available for anyone to edit without signing in. You can try out editing the document and if you are happy with the result then you can copy and paste into the main document if you have permissions. Obviously it's not meant for trashing intentionally but more of a trainer or even as a safe way to try something special or major. Of course you can copy the document into a Google document of your own to play with.

Here's the link to the training copy http://goo.gl/QKXgH

Comments

• David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2012-12-07 07:59
    Wow! This is excellent. Thanks very much! Is there any way to get it in .pdf format?
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2012-12-07 08:05
    David Betz wrote: »
    Wow! This is excellent. Thanks very much! Is there any way to get it in .pdf format?

Well you can download the editable document in different formats including pdf but the formatting of it is really suited for web viewing. So at the moment this is the form it is in but I will experiment to see which is the best way for making it into a pdf.
  • ctwardellctwardell Posts: 1,716
    edited 2012-12-07 08:06
    This is a really good idea, thanks Peter.

I've become really frustrated with the poor to practically non-existent documentation of both commercial and open source software/hardware lately.
    I know there a some on this forum that pretty much won't use anything that isn't open source, I'm getting to the point where I won't use anything that isn't well documented.

So at least it looks like I'll be safe using the P2. :-)

C.W.
    edited 2012-12-07 08:11
    ctwardell wrote: »
    This is a really good idea, thanks Peter.

I've become really frustrated with the poor to practically non-existent documentation of both commercial and open source software/hardware lately.
    I know there a some on this forum that pretty much won't use anything that isn't open source, I'm getting to the point where I won't use anything that isn't well documented.

So at least it looks like I'll be safe using the P2. :-)

C.W.
    There's a lot of stuff that we don't have the information for but we are just waiting on Chip to add this information incrementally. Ideally we would like Chip to add the information directly to the document and we can set upon it and dress it up with formatting and diagrams etc. Bit by bit we should end up having a really good working and live up-to-date document.
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2012-12-07 08:15
    Well you can download the editable document in different formats including pdf but the formatting of it is really suited for web viewing. So at the moment this is the form it is in but I will experiment to see which is the best way for making it into a pdf.
    No problem. The web format is fine and extremely helpful!
  • 4x5n4x5n Posts: 745
    edited 2012-12-07 09:17
    Very nice. One comment though. I notice that you refer to the use of "D" and "S" without ever explaining what they or what they're used for.
  • SeairthSeairth Posts: 2,474
    edited 2012-12-07 09:23
    4x5n wrote: »
    Very nice. One comment though. I notice that you refer to the use of "D" and "S" without ever explaining what they or what they're used for.

That's a fair observation. The documentation is primarily verbatim of what Chip has posted, with the exception of formatting. There will be quite a lot of gaps to start with due to the implied knowledge of P1. We are, however, starting to fill in the gaps. If you see other things like this, make sure to mention them.
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2012-12-07 10:20
    Very nice job Peter.
    I learned a couple things by reading it.

Keep up the good work...

Bean
  • Martin HodgeMartin Hodge Posts: 1,246
    edited 2012-12-07 12:05
    Excellent!!!

But the only complaint I have is the badly "shopped" picture of the non-existent "P8FX128" on the front page with the deprecated beanie logo and the associated kitschy parenthetical.

Also the cog memory map has an error. It states 512 longs but the address labels indicate 502 longs of RAM.
    edited 2012-12-07 12:26
    But the only complaint I have is the badly "shopped" picture of the non-existent "P8FX128" on the front page with the deprecated beanie logo and the associated kitschy parenthetical.

Updated. I replaced it with the generic graphic from http://www.parallaxsemiconductor.com/sites/default/files/parallax/Propeller2DetailedPreliminaryFeatureList-v2.0.pdf
    edited 2012-12-07 12:51
    Also the cog memory map has an error. It states 512 longs but the address labels indicate 502 longs of RAM.

Yeah, there's a comment to that effect on the document. I went ahead and updated the diagram to fill out all of the reserved registers. See if that's more clear now.
    edited 2012-12-07 13:19
    Yeah, pinout is better in my opinion. Maybe in the center list the package info?
    (T)QFP-128, .4mm pin spacing, overall size (14mm?).

The PLL multiplier bit fields are a little vague. does 0001...1111 mean "1 to 15" or

0001 = x2
    0011 = x4
    0111 = x8
    1111 = x16
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2012-12-07 14:29
    Nicely done Peter :)

IIRC the 256 long stack/fifo can also be accessed indirectly as well as push/pop instructions. Seeing these now, its a shame we dont have 2 special move instructions to move a long into/out of the fifo by using an immediate fifo address (best not tell Chip as we dont want to delay P2 any more).

BTW I can understand Chip just wants/needs to churn out the info at this point in time He doesn't have the time to pretty it up like you have done. Others can do that - lets just get the info from him.
    edited 2012-12-07 15:19
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    BTW I can understand Chip just wants/needs to churn out the info at this point in time He doesn't have the time to pretty it up like you have done. Others can do that - lets just get the info from him.

I absolutely agree. In fact, he *shouldn't* be doing the pretty bits right now. That's not where the real value is. If he post the information (in whatever form), we'll make sure it gets integrated.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2012-12-07 16:28
    Seairth: I forgot to thank you too for your input to these docs.
  • localrogerlocalroger Posts: 3,451
    edited 2012-12-07 17:02
    4x5n wrote: »

This would be clear if you were conversant with the P1 PASM instruction set. At this stage Chip isn't going to have the time to assemble a beginner's tutorial and I expect everything given to us to be addressed in terms of how it differs from P1. D and S are 9-bit subfields of the 32-bit PASM instruction which point to the destination and source in either Cog RAM or, according to another bit, possibly a literal 9-bit value in S. P2 obviously has more options.
    edited 2012-12-07 18:35
    Cluso99 wrote: »
    Seairth: I forgot to thank you too for your input to these docs.

Don't mention it. I'm glad to do what I can to help. Between the FPGA efforts and documentation efforts, we'll help get the P2 into production as quickly as possible. And with an active development community already in place, to boot! How many chip makers can boast that?
    edited 2012-12-07 19:08
    Just remember that I only just started up this document so of course it could have a lot of other things added to it. That's exactly the reason for this thread so if you would like to contribute just email me or request via the document page (I can't quite remember how that works) and I will add you as a collaborator to the project. If you have a little accident in editing and can't seem to undo it then don't worry because I can revert back plus I have backup copies. All others are free to insert comments or chat on the edit page.

BTW, despite the criticism about the "chip" image this was done to help make it come alive but I didn't want anyone to think for a minute that it was real while I was playing around with what this document could be. A project can be fun at the time as being useful.
    edited 2012-12-07 19:24
    Yeah, pinout is better in my opinion. Maybe in the center list the package info?
    (T)QFP-128, .4mm pin spacing, overall size (14mm?).

I've added some bullets to the side for this information. I wasn't able to find an official mention of the package size, but 14mm seems standard for a QFP-128 with 0.4mm pitch. So I put that down for the moment.
    The PLL multiplier bit fields are a little vague. does 0001...1111 mean "1 to 15" or

0001 = x2
    0011 = x4
    0111 = x8
    1111 = x16

That bit was directly from Chip's documentation. However, I have expanded it to make it a bit more explicit. I interpreted the bit pattern to indicate a linear range from 2x to 16x, based on the fact that Chip tends to use the ellipses in other parts of his documentation to indicate linear range. Further, since the enumerated all of the other bit fields, i would have expected him to enumerate this one as well if there were only four possible values.

Hopefully, Chip is following this thread and will correct me (us) when we are wrong.
  • 4x5n4x5n Posts: 745
    edited 2012-12-07 19:29
    Just remember that I only just started up this document so of course it could have a lot of other things added to it. That's exactly the reason for this thread so if you would like to contribute just email me or request via the document page (I can't quite remember how that works) and I will add you as a collaborator to the project. If you have a little accident in editing and can't seem to undo it then don't worry because I can revert back plus I have backup copies. All others are free to insert comments or chat on the edit page.

BTW, despite the criticism about the "chip" image this was done to help make it come alive but I didn't want anyone to think for a minute that it was real while I was playing around with what this document could be. A project can be fun at the time as being useful.

Peter,

I'd like to start by thanking you for your efforts in putting the document together. I wish I had the time and knowledge to help with the writing of the documentation but if you don't mind comments from someone limited knowledge of pasm I'll be happy to take on the role of noob trying to make sense of all of this (not at all a stretch since I've never written a program in pasm :smile: ) and point out areas that aren't clear to me.
    edited 2012-12-07 19:57
    Go right ahead, anyone can insert comments in the document, they appear on the right hand side in the edit version but not in the web-page version. At the moment Seairth and myself have been doing this but we welcome any input that leads to a positive outcome.

BTW, you may need to sign in or create a Google identity but I will have to try this on a clean browser or system to remember how it works.
    edited 2012-12-07 20:08
    Seairth, that's fine. I was just making some "first impression" comments.
  • SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2012-12-08 04:23
    Hi Peter.

In Chapter:
    COG MEMORY (8 instances)

Can You revise Colored Picture of COG information with that small BOX with arows.

[B]PTRA [/B]and [B]PTRB [/B]are only for pointing to [B]HUB [/B]memory .
     [B]INDA [/B]and [B]INDB   [/B]are for pointing to [B]COG [/B]memory .                        ------> Missing in picture
     [B]SPA  [/B]and [B]SPB    [/B]are for pointing to [B]CLUT/stack[/B] memory .

'If you want to read longs quickly into registers,

it's simplest to just do [B]'RDLONGC INDA++,PTRA++'.[/B]

' Less stuff to think about that way.

edited 2012-12-08 04:44
    Sapieha wrote: »
    Hi Peter.

Can You revise Picture of COG information with.

S Source field in instruction
    D Destination field in instruction

PTRA and PTRB are only for pointing to HUB memory .
    INDA and INDB are for pointing to COG memory .
    > Mising in Picture
    SPA and SPB are for pointing to CLUT/stack memory .

'If you want to read longs quickly into registers,
    it's simplest to just do 'RDLONGC INDA++,PTRA++'.
    ' Less stuff to think about that way.

Would you be up to handling this yourself perhaps? Just sign-in or sign-up and request to be a collaborator.
    edited 2012-12-08 04:47
    Hi Peter.

Sorry if I say that way.

My English semantic is not so good -- so be nice if You edit it.
    Thanks
    edited 2012-12-08 04:52
    Sapieha wrote: »
    Hi Peter.

Sorry if I say that way.

My English semantic is not so good -- so be nice if You edit it.
    Thanks
    Okay, but diagrams are universal, aren't they? Perhaps you could help there and many other areas. Anyway admission is free :) and you can come and go as you please.
    BTW, make sure you refresh your page because the PTR registers point to the hub, they were changed very early in the edit.
    edited 2012-12-08 04:55
    Hi Peter.

And:

INDA and INDB are for pointing to COG memory .
    > Mising in Picture

Need point in like box to Yelow area of COG space.

Okay, but diagrams are universal, aren't they? Perhaps you could help there and many other areas. Anyway admission is free :) and you can come and go as you please.
    BTW, make sure you refresh your page because the PTR registers point to the hub, they were changed very early in the edit.
    edited 2012-12-08 05:08
    That's what I call cosmetics, you know, superficial stuff. Anyway INDx can point to any register including itself and the port registers so that's a bit awkward to illustrate clearly but you are welcome to try :)
    edited 2012-12-08 05:13
    Hi Peter.

Maybe cosmetics for us that understand it --- But for that ones that start with Propeller II -- Can be valuable.

That's what I call cosmetics, you know, superficial stuff. Anyway INDx can point to any register including itself and the port registers so that's a bit awkward to illustrate clearly but you are welcome to try :)
    edited 2012-12-08 05:28
    Hi Peter.

Thanks