Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New 4.3" touchscreen LCD for Propeller: "used" screens almost free w/purchase. - Page 5 — Parallax Forums

New 4.3" touchscreen LCD for Propeller: "used" screens almost free w/purchase.

Comments

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,799
    edited 2009-10-16 14:40
    I'll try my best to take care of all you brave people who are ordering LCDs before a breakout board is available!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    My Prop Info&Apps: ·http://www.rayslogic.com/propeller/propeller.htm
  • mctriviamctrivia Posts: 3,772
    edited 2009-10-16 19:33
    i am designing a break out board. what do people want?

Option 1)
    *Prop
    *crystal
    *eeprom
    *memory expansion port(for my upcoming memory module)
    *all lcd related parts

Option 2)
    *lcd related parts
    *2x20 0.1" header

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    propmod_us and propmod_1x1 are in stock. Only $30. PCB available for $5

Want to make projects and have Gadget Gangster sell them for you? propmod-us_ps_sd and propmod-1x1 are now available for use in your Gadget Gangster Projects.

Need to upload large images or movies for use in the forum. you can do so at uploader.propmodule.com for free.
  • James LongJames Long Posts: 1,181
    edited 2009-10-16 19:44
    mctrivia said...
    i am designing a break out board. what do people want?

Option 1)
    *Prop
    *crystal
    *eeprom
    *memory expansion port(for my upcoming memory module)
    *all lcd related parts

Option 2)
    *lcd related parts
    *2x20 0.1" header

Matt,

I would stick to a simple breakout board for now...and expand on that if Rayman gets more screens. You will reduce costs, and prevent risks of having a EOL item.

James L

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    James L
    Partner/Designer

Lil Brother SMT Assembly Services

Please note: Due to economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice. Thanks for your understanding.
  • Adam WieslerAdam Wiesler Posts: 81
    edited 2009-10-16 19:49
    I would also go with option 2, but later make a board that had the prop, crystal, SD card, etc. and put a 2x20 header on it so it could plug into option 2.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    My website www.quigleyelectronics.com/
    edited 2009-10-16 19:52
    the 2x20 will be compatible with the ide connector on my memory module.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Want to make projects and have Gadget Gangster sell them for you? propmod-us_ps_sd and propmod-1x1 are now available for use in your Gadget Gangster Projects.

Need to upload large images or movies for use in the forum. you can do so at uploader.propmodule.com for free.
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2009-10-16 20:08
    Just the breakout is really important to have ... think about all those sparkfun boards.

I'm sure Rayman will produce a nice board with the Propeller and other stuff.
    Actually, If I was in Rayman's position, I would be asking for a little payback in return for creating the market.
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2009-10-16 20:43
    I am reviewing the datasheet attached to the very first post and having a bit of trouble determining the proper opening size for a case. Page 27 in the PDF is the Outline Dimension DWG and there are several dimensions with abbreviations on the perimeter of the front side view (the view on the left). Here's what I have figured out for the abbreviations/dimensions by using the design guide notes on page 14/15 of the PDF (section 4.3) and the Outline Dimension DWG on page 27:

OUT SIZE = Outer dimensions of display
    TSP = Touch Screen Panel
    TSP V/A = Touch Screen Panel Viewing Area
    C/F POL = Crystal Film Polarizer?
    TSP A/A = Touch Screen Panel Active Area

It appears that the viewing area (inner bezel dimensions) as defined on page 15 should would make the width of the hole in the case 98.7mm (104.9 TSP - 3.1mm (left bezel edge) - 3.1mm (right bezel edge)). The height of the hole would be 56.5mm (64.9 TSP - 3.1mm (top bezel edge) - 5.3mm (bottom edge))

Anyone else take a hard look at the dimensions for making a case opening?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting
    WBA-TH1M Sensirion SHT11 Module
    Special Olympics Polar Bear Plunge, Mar 20, 2010
  • Roger LeeRoger Lee Posts: 339
    edited 2009-10-16 21:25
    @mctrivia, My vote is for option 2. Minimum components, connector, header(s), ?.

Not sure how much can be included and still be called "breakout board".
    I'm know Rays PSB will be at least as impressive as his PSM, and that is saying something.
    Sounds like he could put the extra time to good use.

Keep at it Ray.
    edited 2009-10-16 21:29
    Glad everyone agreas. Just finished laying it out.

Included parts are led driver and touch to i2c converter.

Will have price quote soon but first need to spend time with my wife.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2009-10-16 23:06
    here is my schematic. bipass caps not shown but do exist.

please tell me if you see anything you think should be changed.

2x20 header uses same grounds as IDE if wondering why so many grounds.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

2553 x 2784 - 73K
    edited 2009-10-17 01:11
    Wow, this shipping stuff is hard work!· I just packaged up 6 more boxes.· That's 8 total so far, everybody I've invoiced, except for one whose invoice got mixed up somehow...· I think I must have double or triple invoiced somebody else!

I'll invoice the next batch of orders first thing tomorrow...

Here's a pic of the boxes to ship tomorrow:

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    1496 x 1122 - 821K
  • kerrywkerryw Posts: 61
    edited 2009-10-17 01:17
    Rayman said...
    Wow, this shipping stuff is hard work!· I just packaged up 6 more boxes.· That's 8 total so far, everybody I've invoiced, except for one whose invoice got mixed up somehow...· I think I must have double or triple invoiced somebody else!

I'll invoice the next batch of orders first thing tomorrow...

Here's a pic of the boxes to ship tomorrow:
    I think you are talking about my invoice that got mixed up. I did finally get it and authorized Paypal payment. Thanks Ray.

Kerry

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "Heaven help me Marge, I'm just not that smart." - Homer Simpson
  • MausmanMausman Posts: 16
    edited 2009-10-17 09:24
    Hi, Looks great, just waiting for my invoice.
    Looks like there are a lot of oputunities for the lcd.
    edited 2009-10-17 14:17
    Just want to point out a very nice thing about this display for you driver writers out there...

Although I've just more or less used the standard VGA tile driver scheme, this display allows much more flexibility with the Prop because you're not tied to 60 Hz... In fact, the display looks great even at 14 Hz. I don't even think the refresh rate has to be constant.

So, cool things like 80 column text with a custom size font (like 6x10) should be possible. Also, 6-bit pictures should be possible in one cog. I'll have to see if the i2c or SD card busses are fast enough to escape main HUB ram size limitations...

Also, I bet one could do a proportional font... I'm still dreaming of an LCARS interface:
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=715508

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-10-17 17:43
    I'm sorry to report that after going through my inbox today, I have more orders than LCD screens [noparse]:([/noparse]...

I have one request for 10 that I'm going to have to limit to 5 (sorry) to ship to one more person...

But, don't worry too much because I'm 99% sure I can get more. I'm going to email my supplier with a desperate plee right now [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2009-10-17 17:48
    Let me know how it goes, as I'd like to order some [noparse]:D[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    http://www.propgfx.co.uk/forum/·home of the PropGFX Lite

·
    edited 2009-10-17 17:49
    if they are sending them to you cheap i would ask for 1000 they will sell.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2009-10-17 18:53
    I noticed I forgot to run the I2C touch information to header so here is an updated schematic and part layout.

I have not gotten a quote back on how much assembly will cost yet but it looks like fully assembled and populated the boards will cost about $19.99

If you do not need the backlight or i2c touch screen then we are looking at about $9.99

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

2583 x 2754 - 75K
    825 x 417 - 33K
  • CounterRotatingPropsCounterRotatingProps Posts: 1,132
    edited 2009-10-17 19:04
    Ray,

Just wanted to say thanks publically.

IMO, with your first direct selling adventure, you've done the prompt and courteous customer service we always hope for.

You'll do well in your future ventures!

Looking forward to buying things from you in the future.

- Howard

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-10-17 19:08
    Actually, going without the touchscreen may make sense in certian cases...
    I've heard that you can put the whole thing on a hot-plate and remove the touchscreen (or something to that effect).

I think the display would be prettier without the touchscreen... The touchscreen always adds a bit of haze...

PS:· Thanks Howard!·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-10-17 19:21
    keeping back light but removing just touch screen would make $15.99. Of course I am assuming James will give me a decent deal on the assembly since I have made it really easy for him.

it is kind of crazy that the ics each are almost the same price as the screen [noparse]:([/noparse] more expensive since i assume you are making a profit selling them.

By default the I2C A0 and A1 will be set to 1 but it can be easily changed by removing the 0 ohm resister and adding a new one in the 0 position. There are pads on the bottom of the pcb for 2 extra bipass caps. They will not be needed for most applications but i made them available for easy additions if you want to be extra careful.

To keep prices low I can only make 2 of the following options and need approximate numbers of each to have assembled.

1) Bare PCB $4.99
    2) Header only $9.99*
    3) Backlight and Header $15.99*
    4) Everything $19.99*
    *prices estimates only depend on assembly quote.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2009-10-17 19:31
    Those prices are probably better than what I could offer...
    I still think more people would want a 6-bit color interface than a 24-bit interface, but I could be wrong...

I suppose somebody could just use jumper wires·to make yours whatever they wanted though...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-10-17 19:35
    my memory module will be able to do 16 to 24 bit colour. but if you want 6 bit you can just jumper the bits together.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2009-10-17 19:52
    One non-obvious design point... I've added a pull-down resistor on DON because the display goes haywire sometimes if this is left floating... Adding this resistor lets people share pins with the VGA driver without having to handle code to control DON to switch back and forth...

My PSB prototype shares sync and color pins with the VGA port. The idea is to pick one or the other. And, to use existing VGA code without modification. Problem was that the LCD would go haywire and pull down Vdd unless DON was set to 0 first...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • James LongJames Long Posts: 1,181
    edited 2009-10-17 19:59
    mctrivia said...
    keeping back light but removing just touch screen would make $15.99. Of course I am assuming James will give me a decent deal on the assembly since I have made it really easy for him.

it is kind of crazy that the ics each are almost the same price as the screen [noparse]:([/noparse] more expensive since i assume you are making a profit selling them.

By default the I2C A0 and A1 will be set to 1 but it can be easily changed by removing the 0 ohm resister and adding a new one in the 0 position. There are pads on the bottom of the pcb for 2 extra bipass caps. They will not be needed for most applications but i made them available for easy additions if you want to be extra careful.

To keep prices low I can only make 2 of the following options and need approximate numbers of each to have assembled.

1) Bare PCB $4.99
    2) Header only $9.99*
    3) Backlight and Header $15.99*
    4) Everything $19.99*
    *prices estimates only depend on assembly quote.

Matt,

How are you panelizing those...and if you used our calculator......we will probably give a break.......mainly because this is a project on the Parallax forum.

I think we can do it for the price mentioned, but you would need to email me what you think the assembly price is calculated at, for us to make sure.

James L

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    James L
    Partner/Designer

Lil Brother SMT Assembly Services

Please note: Due to economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice. Thanks for your understanding.
    edited 2009-10-17 20:18
    ok I will add the pull down resister.

James Long has confirmed the price for assembly and the listed prices are accurate. I am going to start a new thread for quantities.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• neotericneoteric Posts: 144
    edited 2009-10-17 21:53
    Wha? Sold out? I've been waiting for them to become available. I really missed the boat. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

How should we order them? I've been going to your site.

Let us know if you get more in!
    edited 2009-10-18 03:27
    I'm pretty sure I'll get more... But, after a couple hundred, I'm told the price will increase a little, maybe $10 more.
    But, even at $50, I think these things would be a great deal. You guys are lucky I'm not greedy!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-10-18 03:49
    is that $50 for 100? if so i still recomend getting 1000 for $500. i guarantee you will get your money back. If still available in the first quarter of next year I will pay you $500 for 100 screens.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• MausmanMausman Posts: 16
    edited 2009-10-18 10:34
    Just a quick question: what chip do i need for the backlight?