Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New 4.3" touchscreen LCD for Propeller: "used" screens almost free w/purchase. - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

New 4.3" touchscreen LCD for Propeller: "used" screens almost free w/purchase.

Comments

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,859
    edited 2009-10-13 22:08
    Just opened the my box of "used" displays... Wow, they are really in great condition! I just tried a couple out on the prototype PSB and they look beautiful.

Only slight problem is that certain areas of the screen are less sensitive than others... I think I can tell where on-screen buttons used to be! Testing out the PSB Paint app, there are a couple places where you have to press harder than the others... This is because I'm constantly measuring Z (how hard you're pushing) with controller to decide if the user is pushing hard enough to count or not... Anyway that algorithm will need some tweaking with a display that has been used.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    My Prop Info&Apps: ·http://www.rayslogic.com/propeller/propeller.htm
    edited 2009-10-13 22:11
    I may be able to sell these "used" displays for $5 each. Isn't that insane?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • mparkmpark Posts: 1,305
    edited 2009-10-13 22:19
    You might have to change your name to Crazy Ray.

/he won't be undersold!
  • hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2009-10-13 22:24
    Ahh...Crazy Eddie that brings back memories!

Maybe only the Northeaster folks would remember that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crazy_Eddie

Jim
    mpark said...
    You might have to change your name to Crazy Ray.

/he won't be undersold!
    Post Edited (hover1) : 10/13/2009 10:29:45 PM GMT
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2009-10-13 22:31
    I just may have to buy a bunch of "used" displays off you... crazy good price!

FYI, the only reason I did not buy one of the PSM's at UPEW was I did not want you to be annoyed if I produced something similar (but Morpheus based). I just may have to get one of your new 4.3" PSM's...
    Rayman said...
    I may be able to sell these "used" displays for $5 each. Isn't that insane?
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Please use mikronauts _at_ gmail _dot_ com to contact me off-forum, my PM is almost totally full
    Morpheus & Mem+dual Prop SBC w/ 512KB kit $119.95, 2MB memory IO board kit $89.95, both kits $189.95
    www.mikronauts.com - my site 6.250MHz custom Crystals for running Propellers at 100MHz
    Las - Large model assembler for the Propeller Largos - a feature full nano operating system for the Propeller
  • Ziggy252Ziggy252 Posts: 32
    edited 2009-10-13 22:33
    I'm definitely interested in getting a few.

I'd also be willing to do a bulk order and forward them on to other aussies if it would save us on postage.
  • Harrison.Harrison. Posts: 484
    edited 2009-10-13 23:03
    I will definitely buy a couple, especially if you can sell them at $5 each. That's just too good of a deal to pass up.
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2009-10-13 23:04
    Rayman said...
    Jazzed: It's better to do as Jim suggested, because this way the count goes:

Which is perfectly uniform steps...
    Maybe I've missed something, but given the spec on the display (PSP clone no?), it seems one could do 5:6:5 (65K colors) with separate data color lines instead of being constrained to VGA DAC and the Propeller way, have all Propeller memory available for programs instead of video buffers, the video would be crystal clear, and users can leave everyone else's junk in the dirt. Of course one could do better with the same setup connected to a bigger controller like a 256KB AVR ex-Propeller.
    edited 2009-10-13 23:16
    Bill: Don't worry about that... I'm liable to copy some of your Morpheus ideas pretty soon!

Also, since I'm selling the actual LCDs for this one, I'm actually going to post the breakout board diagram and files with no restrictions...

Jazzed: I'm not using a DAC, it's a digital interface... There are 24 color pins 8:8:8. But, you can't really do a versitile 1 Prop system using very many pins for color...

But, perhaps I should do a breakout board with all the color pins exposed for people who want to play around with that...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • MicrocontrolledMicrocontrolled Posts: 2,461
    edited 2009-10-14 00:46
    I will DEFINITLY get one now!!!! smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Computers are microcontrolled.

Robots are microcontrolled.
    I am microcontrolled.

But you·can·call me micro.

Want to·experiment with the SX or just put together a cool project?
    SX Spinning light display·

• OakGraphicsOakGraphics Posts: 202
    edited 2009-10-14 00:57
    I would love to have this LCD driven to accept an NTSC or S-Video signal. Then my dreams of making a multi-screen editing system would be closer. smile.gif
    Is there a NTSC driver board or chipset that might work with this LCD?
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2009-10-14 01:01
    Rayman said...
    ... But, perhaps I should do a breakout board with all the color pins exposed for people who want to play around with that...
    A versatile breakout board would be useful. I'll buy a few of the LCDs without the breakout.
    paypal? other? I'm at the same address. Thanks.

--Steve
  • mctriviamctrivia Posts: 3,772
    edited 2009-10-14 01:29
    for $5 i will buy 5. Can you send me the spacing and pin order so I can design into my newest board if I have space. Currently the IDE interface seems to be the board hog.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    propmod_us and propmod_1x1 are in stock. Only $30. PCB available for $5

Want to make projects and have Gadget Gangster sell them for you? propmod-us_ps_sd and propmod-1x1 are now available for use in your Gadget Gangster Projects.

Need to upload large images or movies for use in the forum. you can do so at uploader.propmodule.com for free.
    edited 2009-10-14 02:11
    No you won't! For $25 you will buy 5!!! smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

I am microcontrolled.

edited 2009-10-14 02:13
    yes i meant $5 each.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Want to make projects and have Gadget Gangster sell them for you? propmod-us_ps_sd and propmod-1x1 are now available for use in your Gadget Gangster Projects.

Need to upload large images or movies for use in the forum. you can do so at uploader.propmodule.com for free.
    edited 2009-10-14 06:10
    If you manage to tweak the touchscreen code to work with the used displays, I'm in for four.
    edited 2009-10-14 09:23
    I'll take orders in just a day or two...
    mctrivia: The pin spacing and everything is in the datasheet in the top post...
    I'll also post the layout files for the breakout board... I was going to wait until I knew it worked, but maybe I'll post it now anyway...

mpark:· I think it's pretty trivial to adjust the code...· I'll try to find time to make sure it can be adjusted for used screens...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Rayman) : 10/14/2009 9:29:53 AM GMT
    edited 2009-10-14 09:53
    Here's the breakout board ExpressPCB files:·

(Just ordered a few a minute ago, so I don't really know for sure that they work yet!)

(This may turn out to be shooting myself in the foot, but what the heck!)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-10-14 15:38
    You must be getting these for $1 or less apiece to be able to sell them for $5!!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

I am microcontrolled.

edited 2009-10-14 15:44
    Yes, I'm on a mission!· There are literally thousands of these guys being destroyed unless I get you all to buy them!
    Right now, I can get hundreds of these "used" displays for an extremely low price...

microcontrolled:· You can probably pay me PS2 jacks if you want [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2009-10-14 15:56
    Hey Ray..

How do I go about paying for a couple of these?

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Visit the: The Propeller Pages @ Warranty Void.
    edited 2009-10-14 15:57
    how good is the touch screen on these? I have an ai game on my web server that i wish to convert to propeller driven. I was originally planning to use switches and leds but if the touch screen can detect single presses accurately I could get a bunch of these off you.

http://aigamez.com/?page=game.ludo&strength=2

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2009-10-14 16:03
    The touch screens are wonderful! I'm using a seperate IC to interface with it, but I've seen code and diagrams (from Ken Peterson?) to use a few Prop pins to do it...

The appearance of these "used" screens is perfect. I haven't even seen a scratch on any of them.
    But, they have been used before and they aren't going to come with any guarantees (But, I am going to personally test all of them for obvious flaws before shipping).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-10-14 16:08
    Ok everybody, I'm going to go out on a limb and start taking orders...

Note that the breakout board is not yet available and may take a few more weeks still...·

If you wish to order some (limit 5 per person), send an email to ray@rayslogic.com with your name and address and Qty. desired.
    Shipping within US is $5 (via USPS Priority Mail).

My plan is to put them in a USPS Priority Mail flat rate box.· I think I can fit about 5 in a box, so that's why there's a limit at this time...

If you want a larger quantity, just let me know, but shipping will cost more.· I can also sell "like new" versions for $30 (1 per person).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Rayman) : 10/14/2009 4:13:59 PM GMT
    edited 2009-10-14 16:17
    What about the ribbon connector? Maybe you can sell a screen+connector bundle.
    edited 2009-10-14 16:23
    mpark: The screen has a flat-flex cable on it... Is that what you mean?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-10-14 16:39
    I was thinking connector between flat-flex cable and breakout-board-that-I'll-eventually-make. Actually, what I should do is look at your ExpressPCB files but that'll have to wait till I get home.
  • JRetSapDoogJRetSapDoog Posts: 954
    edited 2009-10-14 16:48
    Guess he means a connector/socket similar to the one that you mentioned in a much earlier post (pg. 1) for this thread:

"The 60-pin FPC connector I'm using is this one: Digikey part# 609-3439-1-ND"

At the time, you didn't have plans to carry such a connector/socket, for various (understandable) reasons.

I guess you have confidence in our soldering ability (though even a connector/socket would have to be soldered).

Your breakout board (when ready) is intended for direct soldering of the flex cable thereto, right? I think so.

Any tips on soldering that? I've read about hot-press machines or something like that, but I'm guessing you have a way using a regular iron to get the job done.

Oh, now I know why it would be good to buy 5: to have spares for the first four that I mess up while under the iron, ha-ha. I know you'll say "It's not so difficult...." Say on, I'm listening.

By the way, what are the chances you'd be willing-and-able to arrange shipping to Taiwan (for an additional cost)? My PSM was shipped here by Gadget Gangster.

Edit:· Correction, the soldering device is called a "hot-bar soldering machine/device."··Hmm...considering the flex contacts would be turned over "upside-down-like" to contact the board (I presume, or do the contacts appear on both surfaces?), maybe you do envision us using a socket/connector.· Not sure.· Anyway, I know the LCD on my PSM board from you is soldered without a connector and covered in black "goop" (glue) to attach it more securely and/or provide "strain-relief."· I have occasionally wondered how you soldered the flex or arranged for same.· That is, I'm curious if you used an outside assembler for you board (or at least that part) or whether you did it yourself.· Anyway, that might be somewhat senitive information (a trade-secret of sorts), so feel free to ignore.

Connector Link:· http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/1571159-conn-fpc-ffc-60pos-5mm-r-a-smd-10085901-6015elf.html· <-- no pic

Post Edited (JRetSapDoog) : 10/14/2009 5:27:36 PM GMT
    edited 2009-10-14 16:54
    You're right... I should buy some of the FPC connectors to sell with the display...
    You don't need to solder the LCD to the connector, you just stick it in and flip the hinge back to lock it in...
    But, you do need to solder the connector to your PCB (unless you buy one of my breakout boards [noparse][[/noparse]coming soon!])

I think I can ship overseas in the same boxes for ~$13 or so...· But, I don't know if you'll have to pay any customs or not...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • JRetSapDoogJRetSapDoog Posts: 954
    edited 2009-10-14 17:19
    Sorry...crossed posts (just edited my former post). I see, so no hot-bar machine or soldering trick. Use a connector!

So your breakout board (if that's still the right term) will come with the connector already soldered in place. That's convenient.

Well...customs is customs ("render to Caesar what belongs to Caesar...," though "Caesar" didn't charge me the last time). Anyway, that's my cost/responsibility.

Edit:· Right, I've taken apart a cheap 3.5" digital photo frame before...and that's how the LCD was attached: with a hinge-like connector.

Post Edited (JRetSapDoog) : 10/14/2009 5:30:15 PM GMT