Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New 4.3" touchscreen LCD for Propeller: "used" screens almost free w/purchase. - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

New 4.3" touchscreen LCD for Propeller: "used" screens almost free w/purchase.

Comments

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,805
    edited 2009-09-22 17:20
    I'm not supposed to be advertising where I got these from... Also, it's kind of a one time thing, I think. There are no other sizes available, as far as I know...

This display is actually pretty big...· If you really want something bigger, I think you're cheapest solution would be to find a small TV screen and add in a touch panel yourself...· You can buy touch panels from Digikey...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    My Prop Info&Apps: ·http://www.rayslogic.com/propeller/propeller.htm
  • max72max72 Posts: 1,155
    edited 2009-09-24 06:54
    I'm interested in purchasing some displays (and maybe also connectors, if you will decide to sell a bundle).
    While the displays are perfect for one shot projects, projects that might require more units in the future could require an alternative display.
    Are there around similar displays (with the possibility to adapt the modified VGA code)? Probably I'm doing something wrong in the search, but I cannot find anything similar..
    Massimo
  • neotericneoteric Posts: 144
    edited 2009-09-24 15:25
    I would like to purchase two, when they are ready!
    edited 2009-09-24 16:06
    Max72: I think Sparkfun sells a PSP screen with nearly identical spec's...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • BTXBTX Posts: 674
    edited 2009-09-24 21:26
    Ray.
    Any ideas for the final price of the PSB ??
    She looks very very interesting :P

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Regards.

Alberto.
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2009-09-25 16:13
    @Rayman,

If this is like the PSP display, how many colors do you think is reasonable for driving with the Propeller?
    It would be really nice to display a high resolution GUI on a big LCD similar to what I've done with smaller ones.
    The touch screen would make mouse/keyboard less important with the right code.

Thanks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Steve

Propeller Tools
    edited 2009-09-25 16:55
    I'm just doing 64-colors using 6 pins, just like the VGA driver...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • max72max72 Posts: 1,155
    edited 2009-09-26 09:45
    I already knew the price you proposed for the units is extremely good, but cross checking it with the PSP screens on sparkfun make it even more impressive.

Massimo
    edited 2009-09-26 10:54
    I'm hoping to get some used screens that will make it even cheaper!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-10-08 22:20
    Just got word that 16 pounds of "used" LCDs are on their way!
    Time to get to work on a cheap breakout board...
    Anybody brave enough to want an LCD without a breakout board?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • MicrocontrolledMicrocontrolled Posts: 2,461
    edited 2009-10-08 22:39
    No. smile.gif I will get the breakout board when it comes out and 1 or 2 displays.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Computers are microcontrolled.

Robots are microcontrolled.
    I am microcontrolled.

But you·can·call me micro.

Want to·experiment with the SX or just put together a cool project?
    SX Spinning light display·

• JRetSapDoogJRetSapDoog Posts: 954
    edited 2009-10-09 05:29
    Give me·eight feet of ribbon cable,·one pint of Propeller chips...and throw in a quarter pound of LCD displays while you're at it.

Displays by the pound, eh?· Reminds me of a photo I saw on Engadget of box-after-box of cell phone displays (big boxes).

Hmm, let's see:· at 1 ounce per display, 16 pounds·amounts to·256 displays, but perhaps they're not that heavy.· Could be 512.

·
    edited 2009-10-10 21:09
    PSB prototype checkout is all done and everything works! (with a few jumper wires here and there...)

It's got:
    - 4.3" touchscreen LCD
    - Prop with 64kB EEPROM
    - VGA and TV output
    - 2X USB keyboard/mouse input (PS2 mode only) <-- I think I need to add in a regular PS2 port
    - SD card with WP/CD sensor
    - USB programming/power
    - Amplified headphone audio output
    - Onboard 5V regulator

I want to add in next revision:
    - I2C 3-axis accelerometer
    - I2C RTC
    - Power light
    - LCD header so board can double as low cost breakout board
    - PropPlug header
    - PS2 keyboard or mouse connector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-10-10 21:12
    I've only got one unresolved issue with the prototype, but I think it's a software problem...

Occasonaly, on reset or programming the i2c touchscreen controller stops working. I doesn't start working again until I load up a demo code I showed at the Expo... Either it's possessed, or it's upset that I'm not initializing the I2C bus properly or something, it's very strange...

Update:· Figured it out!· This is the first device I've come across that wants me to "initialize" the I2C bus before use...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Rayman) : 10/10/2009 9:20:56 PM GMT
    edited 2009-10-11 06:52
    Congratulations! That's exciting progress.

I think that the VGA and TV-Out plans are good features for a Prop-based board, even with the integrated LCD...because that would allow one to more directly play/experiment with the VGA/TV objects (if cutting one's teeth on the Propeller using such a board), in addition to the obvious expanded output options. I built a small connector board and cable to connect to the PSM's 10-pin header area to add such functionality. However, I get a bit of ghosting when attached to one monitor and more when attached to another. My connection cable between the two boards is apparently too long and I perhaps unwisely twisted the wires as well (the cable was fashioned of individual wires, not ribbon cable), the length and twisting of the cable likely contributing to some unwanted noise due to extra capacitance and so on (anyone know with more certainty?). Anyway, having the resistors and connectors integrated onto the same board with the Prop would probably eliminate noise, as well as add connectivity options and convenience.

Regarding the PSM's accelerometer, I haven't actually played with it. I suppose it could be interesting for a game of some sort, but I'm not really seeking a board to act like an iPhone. And I kind of doubt that most uses would be using such a board in a robotic application, wherein such capability might have a more practical use. However, I can see how it is kind of cool, and just because I haven't used it, doesn't mean that it doesn't have its applications (maybe I'll yet discover one of interest to me). I'm just not sure about the cost of the chip (maybe five bucks or more), and I forget the particulars of the connectivity in terms of Prop pins. I guess if you need the I2C for other things (such as ADC or whatever), then there's no loss. Incidentally, in my case, I don't actually have much need to control the back light intensity (on and off would be enough for me, or just always on to save a pin). Anyway, accelerometer or not, I'd be interested in seeing some kind of audio amplifier capable of driving a speaker with around a watt of power being added to the new board (combined with or in addition to the headphone amplifier), but maybe that's just me. Of course I realize the board can't do everything, and, at least in the case of the PSM, you added pads/through-holes in the unused area for adding functionality.

Speaking of I2C, is that a real time clock (RTC) you're considering for the revision beyond the current prototype? If so, that's sounds useful/interesting. Hmm...wonder if battery backup would be provided for it (and how large such a battery might be in terms of board real estate).

Oh, and when you speak of adding an LCD header to allow the board to double as a breakout board, pardon my ignorance, but does that mean one would connect an external CPU/LCD driver to the 4.3" LCD, bypassing the rest of the board, or would that mean that the board could be connected to an external raw LCD panel, by passing the integrated 4.3" panel? I guess it's the former possibility, since the board already has a decent LCD, touch-screen, no less, but just checking.

Oh, and while I'm at it, in what sense did you mean "USB keyboard/mouse input (PS2 mode only)"? For anyone that's been following this forum's threads, obvioulsy that wouldn't involve the USB data protocol (not without an additional chip, anyway). So does that refer to, for example, attachment of those keyboards that have USB physical connectors and signaling capability but that can automatically sense PS/2 connectivity on the PC-end (after passing through a "dumb" adapter)? That is, do you envision USB connectors on such a board as opposed to the PS/2 connectors that we've seen on some of the other boards? I guess that could help us avoid using ugly adapters. I'm not sure how such mice/keyboards are advertised in terms of the automatic sensing and switching capability, something involving PS/2 undoubtedly, but apparently not all of them have it if I recall correctly.

Anyway, congratulations again, and thanks for the update on your terrific progress.

--Jim
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2009-10-11 07:35
    Ray, I worked out that a PS2 connector can share a common footprint with a USB connector as long as you include possible links. It is also posible to spread the connector pins to 0.1" pitch to permit pin stakes as well. This is why I am trying to also make it RS232 compatible (at least semi-compatible) as well. Makes an extremely versatile connection.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Links to other interesting threads:

· Home of the MultiBladeProps: TriBlade,·RamBlade, RetroBlade,·TwinBlade,·SixBlade, website
    · Single Board Computer:·3 Propeller ICs·and a·TriBladeProp board (ZiCog Z80 Emulator)
    · Prop Tools under Development or Completed (Index)
    · Emulators: Micros eg Altair, and Terminals eg VT100 (Index) ZiCog (Z80) , MoCog (6809)
    · Search the Propeller forums·(uses advanced Google search)
    My cruising website is: ·www.bluemagic.biz·· MultiBladeProp is: www.bluemagic.biz/cluso.htm
    edited 2009-10-11 11:12
    It seems that there's a lot of mice that come with a USB to PS2 adapter. Adding the USB port let's you skip the adapter. It's a neat trick but I'm having second thoughts about it...

At least need to add one real PS2 port for keyboards. Looks like all the keyboards I have are either USB or PS2. I'm not sure if they usually come with adapters...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-10-11 11:21
    Jim: The idea for the breakout board is that I can leave off almost all the chips and let people use their own Propeller setup to control the display. It only needs 9 pins or so and the I2C bus...

So, I may sell a couple varieties of the board, with different levels of population...

I noticed a new I2C 3-axis accelerometer that is much simpler to use that the one I have in the PSM. Plus, it's dirt cheap. Parallax sells a new adapter for it...

I haven't figured out what to do for an RTC yet or if there's even room for it...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2009-10-11 11:27
    Looks great.

My opinion - you should put the RTC and Accelerometer on a seperate daughterboard to keep the base system cost lower.

Gadget Gangster is selling your original PSM for $99. What do you expect this version to sell for?

Forrest
    edited 2009-10-11 12:08
    Cluso: I'm starting to think you have the right idea with your dual purpose USB/PS2 connectors...

Forrest: This one is using recycled displays, either "as new" or "used" varieties... I hope to sell a breakout board (populated with just the bare minimum parts, no propeller) with "used" display for ~$50 or so. Fully loaded, I suppose it'd be around $125 or so. Maybe I can do a version without some things like VGA/TV connectors, RTC, USB, and accelerometer for under $100.

Going from "used" to "as new" will add ~$15-20 dollars or so.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-10-12 05:03
    Yeah, I was worried about the cost of the accelerometer pushing the system cost too high with a questionable return-on-investment, but if they're dirt cheap.... Also, even if the board wouldn't be directly used very often in a robotics application, that doesn't mean that one wouldn't test out a robotics scenario needing an accelerometer using your proposed PSB system. Moreover, one might use the PSB board in a robot directly, too, especially if it's not so big, say up to two or three times the size of the PSM. And there are probably plenty of non-robotics apps, too. So I think my comment was a bit near-sighted.

I still like the idea of a RTC, but can understand if it's not feasible due to board space or whatever. And maybe I was wrong about the RTC needing to be backed-up by a separate battery. I guess I was thinking that the PSB wouldn't get very far on batteries alone due to the display, maybe a few hours or a day, depending on the size of the battery. But that might be enough (though maybe such a short-lived clock could be simulated by the PSB in such a case if the time were entered), and larger batteries could be used, I guess. Also, the PSB might be powered from the mains. Anyway, I just hate having to reset the microwave's clock when the power goes out....

Regarding my comment about wanting audio-level output for a speaker (1W, mono), I still want, but maybe that would load the power supply, expecially if only USB-powered. Also, one watt is a lot of audio power for non-boombox applications, and, for signaling or alarms, other devices are available. But I had in mind being able to play a mono voice-quality message at sufficient volume. Oh well, one can dream.
    edited 2009-10-12 22:02
    Well, I didn't see a way to really make this PSB board into a breakout board because it's now just too crammed full of stuff...

But, I did have some time today to draw up a breakout board...· Here's what it looks like (I haven't ordered it yet, just in case anybody spots a flaw):

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    577 x 761 - 28K
    1095 x 617 - 24K
  • mikestefoymikestefoy Posts: 84
    edited 2009-10-13 04:33
    I think you definitely must bring out most if not all of the RGB lines, otherwise its too limited.
  • Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
    edited 2009-10-13 04:35
    Rayman,
    Do you have plans of selling the display/touchscreen alone? I am interested

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

It's Only A Stupid Question If You Have Not Googled It First!!

Post Edited (Brian Carpenter) : 10/13/2009 5:04:10 AM GMT
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2009-10-13 06:43
    Rayman,

on this side of the ocean another, very similar display is available, the LQ043T3DX. The connections are very similar but this one needs also 5V. You may want to add a pad filed for the corresponding connector(s) to your break-out board that btw look very nice.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Visit some of my articles at Propeller Wiki:
    MATH on the propeller propeller.wikispaces.com/MATH
    pPropQL: propeller.wikispaces.com/pPropQL
    pPropQL020: propeller.wikispaces.com/pPropQL020
    OMU for the pPropQL/020 propeller.wikispaces.com/OMU
    edited 2009-10-13 10:11
    I am planning on selling the LCD by itself... I understand there's very large quantity available...
    What I can do for you guys is post the ExpressPCB files for this breakout board. That way,
    You can modify it any way you want...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2009-10-13 12:52
    I'm not sure a breakout board with more color pins is a good fit for the Propeller... The nice thing about this system is that people with Protoboards are equivalent already have pins set aside for VGA and I2C. If you reporpose and/or share those with the LCD, then you only need five free pins for full functionality.

And, you could get by with just 3 pins, but not using the Touch IRQ and tying DON to BL...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Rayman) : 10/13/2009 12:57:42 PM GMT
    edited 2009-10-13 17:05
    Just got my big box of screens today! Haven't opened it yet, but I think they're the "used" variety. In that case, I'll be selling them soon for $15 (plus shipping).

Brian: Yes, I can sell just the screen...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2009-10-13 20:26
    Ray, can't you just use some of the color pins and tie the rest to ground?
    edited 2009-10-13 22:02
    Jazzed: It's better to do as Jim suggested, because this way the count goes:

Which is perfectly·uniform steps...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Rayman) : 10/13/2009 10:10:43 PM GMT