Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax's 12V Modular Wheel and Motor Mounts - Feedback Requested! - Page 8 — Parallax Forums

Parallax's 12V Modular Wheel and Motor Mounts - Feedback Requested!

Comments

• quickster47quickster47 Posts: 35
    edited 2008-03-11 14:11
    Ken,

If I were to do any anodizing it would be 'clear'. Clear tends to show marrs and scratches less. But then we are also dealing with robots here and their tendency by nature is to get scuffed moving about no matter how much we try and protect them. Gosh, just look at WALL-E after only 700 years. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

So, for now I would just leave them a la' natural.

Carl
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2008-03-12 04:01
    Hey guys,

Just to make sure I understand your comments about anodizing.

By "natural" do you mean NO anodizing, or do you mean "clear" anodizing?

This issue has become quite the topic around here lately, so some clarification would be great.

Thanks,

Ken Gracey
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2008-03-12 12:28
    I was saying No anodizing. I like the look of the parts as they are.

That doesn't mean that if you go with clear or any other color that I would be terribly dissappointed. I know the finished product will be very nice.

Thanks for asking!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • quickster47quickster47 Posts: 35
    edited 2008-03-12 16:34
    While I do like the clear anodizing, my use of natural meant NO anodizing period. Just ye ol' plain and natural aluminum.

Carl
  • MarkSMarkS Posts: 342
    edited 2008-03-15 17:25
    Yeah, no anodizing. If this kind of protection is needed, the user could probably get it done themselves. On the other hand, if you can offer a range of color choices along with non-anodized, it would be nice.
  • Tim-MTim-M Posts: 522
    edited 2008-03-27 02:47
    Have specs. been posted regarding these motors?· I thought·that I'd seen some info·at some point, but I can't seem to find it.· These motors·may be just what I've been looking for, for another Basic Stamp based project.

-Are they direct drive or gear motors?

-How about torque, is that known?

Will Parallax be stocking them for sale, I hope?

Thanks alot,

Tim
    edited 2008-03-28 15:21
    I've found some information about these motors....

Specs:
    3 Volts: 35 RPM, 1 Amp (No Load)
    6 Volts: 77 RPM, 2.4 Amps (No Load)
    9 Volts: 120 RPM, 2.9 Amps (No Load)
    12 Volts: 163 RPM, 3.3 Amps (No Load)

Shaft Dia.: 11/32" (9mm)
    Shaft Length: 1-1/4"
    Motor Dia: 1-3/4"
    Length overal: 7-3/4"
    Weighs approx. 1.5 lbs.

No torque is given, anyone have that information?

Parallax, anyone.....??
    edited 2008-04-02 02:28
    Tim-M,

Take a look at the latest Parallax newsletter here - http://www.parallax.com/tabid/581/Default.aspx·The picture of the complete set is fantastic! Check it out...

12VPreview04.jpg

You can sign up to receive this by e-mail on the Parallax Website here - http://www.parallax.com/tabid/583/Default.aspx
    It has lots of good info.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

Post Edited (Whit) : 4/2/2008 2:33:28 AM GMT
    edited 2008-04-02 14:35
    Thanks Whit,

I have been receiving the newsletter and have read the description and seen that photo too. I'm looking for torque specs on just the gear motors themselves for a possible light machinery application. If that application works out, I'd like to purchase the gear motors through Parallax.

Tim
  • StampNut2StampNut2 Posts: 224
    edited 2008-04-02 17:45
    Is'nt that photo a sight to behold, Oh man idea's are flooding in for this package.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Never give up when things go wrong, Just work them out.

robosapienv2-4mem8.page.tl/
    edited 2008-04-02 21:58
    Tim-M - Got ya!

StampNut2 - I agree. They are a thing of beauty.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

• Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2008-04-03 09:19
    Those are some nice looking rims and motors! I saw this thread a long time ago while breezing through the forum, but didn't stay long enough to see a picture. When I got the newsletter earlier this week I was shocked by the picture of the product. (Cue drooling)

Great job.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter

www.brilldea.com·- check out the uOLED-IOC, an I/O expansion for the uOLED-96-PROP
    www.tdswieter.com
    One little spark of imagination is all it takes for an idea to explode
  • Wade SmithWade Smith Posts: 25
    edited 2008-04-14 22:43
    Waiting....waiting....waiting....

Any ETA dates on shipping these 12V Big Bot kits?
  • MarkSMarkS Posts: 342
    edited 2008-04-15 17:18
    I know that this is pushing it a bit, but how about a matching caster wheel? It doesn't and probably shouldn't be the same size. I can imagine that most of the people buying these will only use two per robot. That necessitates the need for a caster or two for balance. It sure is going to suck to see beautiful robots with nicely machined wheels and motors but with hard plastic, injection-molded casters on stamped steel supports. Kinda like putting a racing engine in a nice car but with only two racing rims/tires.
  • JamesRonaldJamesRonald Posts: 39
    edited 2008-04-22 00:50
    Any word on availability and final pricing? My birthday is only a week away... If possible, I'd like to be able to tell the wife that I have my birthday gift is covered.

One the first Robots that I built almost 30 years ago used Automotive Windows motors, Pink Noby wheels from my little sisters tricycle, plywood, 2"x4s", car battery. The "controller" was a 74189, a counter, 555, two smaller 5vdc SPST which switched two DPDT relays (Didn't know about MOSFETs). It wasn't pretty but it sure was a lot of fun.
    edited 2008-04-24 19:00
    Hi James,

Final pricing will be $279. Below is a photo of the complete kit:

attachment.php?attachmentid=53397

This is most high-quality electro-mechanical kit ever produced by Parallax. No expense was·spared to deliver this one to our customers. The price may seem high to many and for that I apologize ahead of time. If you saw the financials surrounding this product you'd probably wonder why we're doing it in the first place. It's a fairly low-volume CNC·product with high labor and material costs.·We feel it is important that we can give our customers another tool to allow them to pursue slightly larger robotic projects, and that we offer a small number of such products·which are·well-made (by design and manufacturing) instead of a larger number of things that are available in·other places.·You can see I'm particularly proud of what·Kevin (project engineer), Matt·(machinist) and·David (contributor) accomplished with this one. These guys aren't usually on the forums and they're·quietly making things happen around Parallax.

If you are thinking of buying a kit, I suggest you order it as soon as it is available. We've got 100 units to·get started so we'll be in a backorder situation almost immediately while we machine more metal. This will cause a wait for the second batch until the first part of June.

The product is supposed to be available for sale today, but we're running a day or two behind. . . or six months if you look at the first page of posts.

I truly hope you find this product to be everything·we've promised.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
    1000 x 555 - 150K
  • ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2008-04-24 21:10
    Details on the encoders? Presuming it's an SX based board that delivers -- what? -- ticks/distance/dir via serial? Hard to tell from pix but it looks like raw encoder output is also available on a separate header?

For what this is, the price IS AMAZINGLY INEXPENSIVE. What will ~shipping run? How heave is the whole package?

Can't wait for spare $300.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -- HST

1uffakind.com/robots/povBitMapBuilder.php
    1uffakind.com/robots/resistorLadder.php
  • SeariderSearider Posts: 290
    edited 2008-04-24 21:35
    will the encoders mount on the motor or the gear train after the reduction ?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Searider
  • ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2008-04-24 21:40
    You can see where they slot into the machined mounts. Looks like an optical interrupter disk goes on the *wheel* axle and fits between the emitters/detectors on the encoder board -- so you'd be measuring speed/distance of the wheel itself.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -- HST

1uffakind.com/robots/povBitMapBuilder.php
    1uffakind.com/robots/resistorLadder.php
    edited 2008-04-25 22:57
    Saw this photo flying around in the office e-mail and decided to post it here:

attachment.php?attachmentid=53410
    You can mount a chassis above or below the motor bearing block.

Ken Gracey
    700 x 700 - 32K
  • MSDTechMSDTech Posts: 342
    edited 2008-04-25 23:35
    Now all I have to do is convince the family financial manager that these ARE a GOOD thing.
    edited 2008-04-26 00:32
    Well, well, well - We can officially pre-order.·See http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=723935·I hope I was one of the first five!

Whit+

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

Post Edited (Whit) : 4/26/2008 12:37:39 AM GMT
  • Tom CTom C Posts: 461
    edited 2008-04-26 19:39
    Hi all,

The first batch is ALL SOLD OUT.

Oh well, there is supposed to be a second batch available later. I can wait.

Regards,

TCIII

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    If you are going to send·a Robot·to save the world, you·better make sure it likes it the way it is!
    edited 2008-04-26 23:58
    Wow! Are you sure they are all sold out. This is a pre-order. They are supposed to ship next week. The "Out of Stock" notice was there when I ordered mine and that was about an hour after they announced them for sale.

If they truly have all sold already, that is fantastic! What a great product.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

edited 2008-04-27 01:13
    Hi Whit,

It could be that you are right.

It just seems strange that if they are available, why would they·say "OUT OF STOCK" even if they are not available for immediate shipment as you have pointed out.

Went ahead and placed my order,·which was accepted, anyway.

During the checkout process, it said "available shortly" so I guess that there is still·product available for sale.

I guess that my "ALL SOLD OUT" comment was a bit premature.

Thanks for the heads up Whit.

TCIII

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    If you are going to send·a Robot·to save the world, you·better make sure it likes it the way it is!

Post Edited (Tom C) : 4/27/2008 1:46:39 AM GMT
    edited 2008-04-27 02:15
    Hey guys,

The reason it says "out of stock" is because the web site is directly connected to our internal business software, and it reflects the quantity available to sell.

In this case, we've not received the first 100 units from our production yet, so it was zero when we started the sale on Friday. But on Monday morning we'll receive them into inventory and the web will reflect accurate inventory levels (quantity received - quantity sold = quantity on hand).

I'm trying to get in contact with Jim to see how many we have sold anyway. They took away my web access.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2008-04-27 03:43
    Ken Gracey (Parallax) said...

They took away my web access.

Man! I hate it when that happens.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

edited 2008-04-28 01:24
    Hi Ken,

When do you plan to make the BS2 code available for the modular wheel/chassis robot·that you described in your post of 8/16/07?

Regards,

TCIII

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • CJCJ Posts: 470
    edited 2008-04-28 17:01
    the product page has a -7 next to the out of stock graphic

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Parallax Forums - If you're ready to learn, we're ready to help.
    edited 2008-04-29 01:24
    Hi all,

Now there is a "0".

Regards,
    TCIII

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔