Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax's 12V Modular Wheel and Motor Mounts - Feedback Requested! - Page 9 — Parallax Forums

Parallax's 12V Modular Wheel and Motor Mounts - Feedback Requested!

Comments

• Tom CTom C Posts: 461
    edited 2008-05-02 11:30
    Whit,

Have you received any indication from Parallax that your Modular Wheel and Motor Mounts have or will ship this week?

Regards,

TCIII

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    If you are going to send·a Robot·to save the world, you·better make sure it likes it the way it is!
  • StampNut2StampNut2 Posts: 224
    edited 2008-05-02 11:48
    I have been informed that mine are on their way to NZ, Can't wait to see them.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Never give up when things go wrong, Just work them out.

robosapienv2-4mem8.page.tl/
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2008-05-02 20:50
    Tom C,

I did get an e-mail confirming that I was in the first five orders. I don't think I got a shipping notice yet, but they were supposed to head out on Wednesday.

StampNut2,

What are your intentions?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
    edited 2008-05-03 00:08
    Hi all,

I think that this quote found in the Motor Mount and Wheel Kit with Position Controller item description will clear up the shipping mystery:

"More information about this product will·post on the web the week of May 5th, 2008.·This product will also begin shipping that week."

Regards,

TCIII

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    If you are going to send·a Robot·to save the world, you·better make sure it likes it the way it is!
    edited 2008-05-03 13:06
    Thanks TCIII!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2008-05-03 13:54
    Monday we're shipping. I've seen the final documentation. We will post it on Monday morning.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2008-05-03 23:33
    Ken Gracey (Parallax) said...
    Monday we're shipping. I've seen the final documentation. We will post it on Monday morning.
    Great news Ken! I know that they are going to be amazing. Can't wait to hold them in my hot little hands.

Have you guys really sold them all?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

Post Edited (Whit) : 5/3/2008 11:38:28 PM GMT
    edited 2008-05-04 00:32
    Yeah, these units look so neat, my mind is running 10 to the dozen with idea's. How about you Whit+???

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2008-05-04 12:44
    I think I am going for the big Boe-Bot idea similar to the one posted earlier in this thread. An aluminum frame with a circular deck/platform (or notched at the wheels). I would also plan for a second deck/platform for experimental stuff. Would love to play with control via my P.C. I'm excited about a bigger platform.

I also want to transition first to a SpinStamp and then on to the Propeller. My next purchase is a pair of HB 25's - I am tempted to order today, because of the free shipping offer here in the states.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

edited 2008-05-04 13:31
    Hi Whit,

I am thinking along the same lines too. I am planning on a robot around the size of the Heathkit Hero 2000 equipped with an arm with similar lifting capacity.

I just ordered a pair of HB-25s and a fifth battery holder to get my purchase over the qualifying $100.

It will be interesting to see what additional information Parallax will post on the Motor Mount & Wheel Kit with Position Controller·description page on Monday.

Regards,

TCIII

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-05-05 03:15
    I just ordered a pair of HB-25's also. I got a pair of 14" LCD extension cables ($1.95 each) to put me over $100.

Ummmm- Free shipping! turn.gif

I can't wait to see what gets posted·either!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

Post Edited (Whit) : 5/5/2008 9:58:16 PM GMT
    edited 2008-05-05 06:39
    I have already got 4 HB25 controllers, so I will pinch two of these for my base unit, I will be making an smoked acrylic 10mm base and will use my Professional development board with a BS2p40 and a subsumption board to free up the stamp. I will include a WIfi 600x480 camera, pan/tilt, IRPD, not mention other sensors.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2008-05-05 23:39
    Hi all,

I have been in contact with Parallax Sales and have been told that the first units will ship tomorrow.smile.gif

They also informed me that I made the first shipment.tongue.gif

Regards,

TCIII

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-05-06 01:30
    I got notice that mine shipped today also!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

edited 2008-05-06 23:58
    Hi Whit,

Got my notification today that my Modular Wheel and Motor Mounts shipped today.

Since they are being shipped to Los Angeles from Sacramento I should have them by Thursday.

Unfortunately I am·presently residing in Northeast TX until I move my family down here in June when our new home is finished.

So I will have to wait until some time in June to get my hands on the product and start building my new robot.

Regards,

TCIII

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-05-08 00:27
    Hey Ken,

When is the Modular Wheel and Motor Mounts item description on the Parallax store website going to be updated with programming examples?

Also saw that there are 79, count them - 79, Modular Wheel and Motor Mounts available for sale now now!

Regards,
    TCIII

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2008-05-08 02:53
    Hi Tom,

We can work on that this week. It's a pretty simple device to program.

We're having an engineering meeting on Thursday morning and I'll bring up this point and see if we can get some resources committed to your request.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.

P.S. Anybody receive a set of these yet?
    edited 2008-05-08 03:01
    Great news Ken! I'm still waiting on mine.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

edited 2008-05-08 11:02
    Hi Ken,

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

According to UPS tracking, my set will be delivered today in Los Angeles and of course I won't be there to see them as I am in TX.

Regards,
    TCIII

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-05-08 23:49
    TCIII,

According to UPS tracking, mine are somewhere in Texas. Don't get any ideas! nono.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

edited 2008-05-09 00:07
    Whit,

IH-30 runs right by my apartment in Greenville so I could probably just flag down the UPS semi and it would be mine!!!!

Just a thought.

Regards,
    TCIII

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (Tom C) : 10/17/2008 12:35:25 AM GMT
    edited 2008-05-09 11:43
    This morning, my tracking shows they are now in Louisiana. Thanks for letting them through TCIII!
    Man I hope they get here today.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

edited 2008-05-09 20:06
    Whit+,

Did you receive them today? Hope you did!

Noticed on the Parallax store website for the Modular Wheel and Motor Mounts there is now a pdf format assembly manual. I just downloaded it.

Regards,
    TCIII

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-05-10 22:41
    I did recieve them on Friday afternoon. This is the first chance I have had to make a post. We have been out of town.

They are unbelievably neat. The look fantastic and are very well finished. Can't wait to play with them.

I'll write more latter when I can really study them, but beleive me - they are worth every penny! I honestly don't know how they can sell them at this price.

What a great new product.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

edited 2008-05-10 23:12
    Hey Ken,

Nothing like a satisfied customer!

Regards,

TCIII

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-05-11 01:51
    Tom C said...

Nothing like a satisfied customer!

TCIII,

LOL! But still very true. Here is the whole story. Mine came in a box that was 9" X 14" X 3" (approx). It weighed 8 lbs and had cool pic of the 12 V Motoer and Wheel Kit on the top. Inside the box is completely full. The wheels and axle shafts are in blue plastic packing in individual sealed sections. The mounting blocks are packed the same way.·The hardware (screws, bolts, spacers, valvue caps·and bearings) are in a small zip-lock bag. The tubes were folded and placed inside the tires. The position controllers PCBs, its screws and·wiring·and·plastic encoder disks are in a Static Shield bag.··Lastly, the left and right hand motors are in box. They are nice and very cleanly made (like most auto parts from Japan). The whole box smells like brand new rubber tires. Instructions·were also included. (The new downloadable version is nice because it is·in color - as you probably already know!)

I also received my two HB 25s the same day.

Something about these shiny aluminum milled parts, real tires (with tubes) and nice heavy motors - though I haven't built or assembled a thing - makes me feel like a "real" robot builder. smilewinkgrin.gif I am now inspired to come up with a bot chassis, platform and workmanship·that meet the high standards of these parts.

I am now thinking of a bolted together chassis similar to Ken's gas powered bot. Flat aluminum stock with milled openings to decrease the weight and provide mounting spots for sensors. I will go with drive wheels centered and a front and rear tail type wheel (similar to the castors used in the 12 volt prototype design, but I want to use wheels like on a Razor scooter - see below in blue and maybe their forks modified for mounting - see below also. I will also build or scavenge aluminum mounts for these. More info to come as I get it worked out.

Yes I am very satisfied and very excited.

Later addition - Now I am going to go back and re-read this thread. I need to make a decision about a battery - mine have always come in plastic packages hanging by the the check out line. This 12 volt stuff with a recharger is new territory!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

Post Edited (Whit) : 5/11/2008 11:32:28 AM GMT
    200 x 152 - 10K
    edited 2008-05-11 13:21
    Hi Whit+,

Nice description of the hardware. Can't wait to get my hands on my own motors and mounts!

Good to see that Parallax "packs" quality into their packing/shipping as well as their products!

You might want to reconsider using the Razor Scooter wheels as they are somewhat hard and will be noisy on hard surfaces.

As I have stated in previous posts, I plan to build an indoor robot based on the Heathkit Hero 2000 robot O&M. I have collected quite a few details on the Hero 2000 specifications. I will probably use the Parallax Propeller in place of the old 8088 processor.

I plan to use a docking station like the iRobot Create does so the robot can refresh the battery autonomously.

I plan to use a Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) battery with my design to give the robot the capability of roaming around for at least 8 hrs before having to recharge the battery.

You can find SLA batteries and chargers on the web. Here is one site that has both SLAs and chargers:

http://www.zbattery.com

Regards,
    TCIII

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-05-11 17:11
    Tom C said...

You might want to reconsider using the Razor Scooter wheels as they are somewhat hard and will be noisy on hard surfaces.

and...

I plan to use a docking station like the iRobot Create does so the robot can refresh the battery autonomously.

I plan to use a Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) battery with my design to give the robot the capability of roaming around for at least 8 hrs before having to recharge the battery.
    Tom,

I was thinking about the Razor wheels because I thought they might be quiet. I will reconsider. I loved Ken's tail wheel on the gas powered bot. If I could get anything, it would be like that - though I still want a zero turning radius - so four wheels rather that three.

I will check out the batteries. I think Chris used a gel-type battery. Have any experience with those?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

edited 2008-05-11 23:46
    Hi Whit+,

A gel-type battery is usually a Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) battery where the electrolyte is a gel instead of a liquid.

I have used SLA batteries before. They are usually found as backup batteries in alarm systems and home automation controllers and in upses.

I was thinking of using a SLA with a 10-14 amp-hr capacity. The Hero 2000 used either a 14 or a 24 amp-hr battery depending on whose Hero 2000 website you are on.

They can be charged at any rate between 1-5 amps, but it usually depends on the manufacturer's specs.

Regards,
    TCIII

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-05-12 01:56
    TCIII,

Thanks for the info! The site you listed above is great. I was wondering what amp/hr capacity to shoot for. I'll find what I think is right and post it here for some input.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+