Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax's 12V Modular Wheel and Motor Mounts - Feedback Requested! - Page 7 — Parallax Forums

Parallax's 12V Modular Wheel and Motor Mounts - Feedback Requested!

Comments

• WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2007-12-13 17:22
    The children were nestled all snug in their beds,

while visions of Parallax's 12V Modular Wheel, Motor Mounts and Encoders danced in their heads...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • MarkSMarkS Posts: 342
    edited 2008-01-27 18:26
    I know, everyone's probably rolling their eyes, saying "He's brought it up again..."

I'm still interested. What going on with this?
    edited 2008-01-30 14:06
    Me too Mark! I have a birthday in April.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
    edited 2008-01-30 18:57
    And I have one in March.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2008-01-30 19:37
    Hey there!

The Penguins took over control of our CNC shop just before the holidays, and we've finally erradicated those little pests to make way for this product! Soooo, we're now in production! Electronics are ready for the Pick-N-Place and the CNC is churning out the motor mount parts.

More to follow, I promise!

Ken Gracey
    edited 2008-01-30 22:52
    Ken Gracey (Parallax) said...

More to follow, I promise!

OK, it has been a little over 2 1/2 hours. Plenty of time to finish production. What's the hold up?

turn.gif
    edited 2008-02-01 01:52
    Great news Ken!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

• StampNut2StampNut2 Posts: 224
    edited 2008-02-02 23:05
    Pleased to hear of the progress.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Never give up when things go wrong, Just work them out.

robosapienv2-4mem8.page.tl/
  • deadwhaledeadwhale Posts: 30
    edited 2008-02-16 06:51
    I'm just getting into all this, am still saving pennies for the boe bot & as many sensors as I can squeeze onto it. But this.... this looks like the perfect next step. Wheels large enough to go outside and play, but not so large I'll need to build a garage for them. I'm looking to eventually have a robot about this size with a metal detector on it & enough smarts to search on it's own (supervised of course... hate to find my in the drink or in a deep ditch). Anyway, this looks like the perfect next step, after I figure out my first step.
  • quickster47quickster47 Posts: 35
    edited 2008-03-03 21:10
    Ken,

Okay, several time ticks have gone by since the last news update from Parallax on the 12V Modular Wheel and Motor Mounts so, how about some more current news? Say, something in the last doy or two or three.

Carl

Post Edited (quickster47) : 3/3/2008 9:15:49 PM GMT
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-03-04 21:07
    Carl, all I can say at this point is we're that much closer. When we put the notice up here on the forums, you will find it worth waiting for. =)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2008-03-05 02:52
    Chris,

You guys really know how to stir up the masses. Can't wait...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-03-05 23:25
    Whit,

I was just trying to let Carl know we’re not ignoring him; we just don’t have anything new. The machines are running non stop here at Parallax churning out metal goodness to come your way soon! =)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2008-03-06 01:06
    Chris,

I know that you and all of Parallax are very busy and persoanlly I really appreciate any of you taking the time to answer the questions posted here on the forums.

Thans a bunch. smilewinkgrin.gif

Carl, waiting patiently as always.
    edited 2008-03-06 03:27
    Chris Savage (Parallax) said...
    Whit,

I was just trying to let Carl know we’re not ignoring him; we just don’t have anything new. The machines are running non stop here at Parallax churning out metal goodness to come your way soon! =)
    Oh boy!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

edited 2008-03-06 13:40
    Hello everybody,

To show you our current progress with manufacturing we're posting some photos of the machined parts. We didn't include the SMT Pick-n-Place line and the electronics - just the mechanics. Hopefully you'll also find this to be a very high-quality product, especially for the cost. We spared no expense in manufacturing and design to get it right. Photos are below.

Thanks for your patience.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.

attachment.php?attachmentid=52544

attachment.php?attachmentid=52545

attachment.php?attachmentid=52546

attachment.php?attachmentid=52547

attachment.php?attachmentid=52548

Post Edited (Ken Gracey (Parallax)) : 3/6/2008 1:48:33 PM GMT
    1000 x 750 - 110K
    1000 x 750 - 194K
    1000 x 750 - 112K
    1000 x 750 - 254K
    1000 x 750 - 243K
    edited 2008-03-06 13:42
    Part 2.

attachment.php?attachmentid=52549

attachment.php?attachmentid=52550

attachment.php?attachmentid=52551

Post Edited (Ken Gracey (Parallax)) : 3/6/2008 1:50:12 PM GMT
    1000 x 750 - 203K
    1000 x 750 - 163K
    1000 x 750 - 212K
    edited 2008-03-06 15:46
    Ken,

Looks fantastic!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

edited 2008-03-06 15:51
    Thanks Whit! Have you plans for a set of these?

I need a set right now, too!

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2008-03-06 17:17
    Yes I do. The new parts are beautiful!

I would love to see some more pictures of the robot you guys were building using these new motors and wheels!

That is what I want to do with them - kinda a big Boe Bot. There is just so much you could do on that bigger platform.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

Post Edited (Whit) : 3/6/2008 5:23:58 PM GMT
  • StampNut2StampNut2 Posts: 224
    edited 2008-03-06 17:28
    Oh man, That looks awesome guys, Quality, Quality,Quality. I just hope it does not cost the earth in freight to send to NZ, That's our biggest problem here. Thanks for the pic Ken.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Never give up when things go wrong, Just work them out.

robosapienv2-4mem8.page.tl/
    edited 2008-03-06 17:58
    StampNut2, I'm aware of the freight problems shipping to New Zealand. In the late 1990s when we started our Stamps in Class program eSource and Parallax ran about 11 BASIC Stamp Educator's Courses across your country. I've been to Hamilton, Palmerson North, Dunedin, Christchurch, Auckland, Napier/Hastings, West Coast, Picturn (?), Wellington, etc. What an amazing country! Most of the teachers were concerned about freight.

But here's something in your favor: our USD is declining faster than a Bradley tank dropped out of a helicopter without a parachute. Our currency is reportedly at a 35-year low against other major currencies. This should serve to make US-made products appear to be more of a deal to foreigners, finally. Parallax is on a permanent sale until our currency rises again. This could be a long time by the looks of things right now.

One of our staff is travelling to NZ in September. I could talk her into carrying a bunch of stuff over there for you.
    @Whit: I'm thinking about mounting these on a wood base of AA grade plywood. I think there's something really nice about well-finished plywood combined with machined aluminum. . . sorta a mix of materials seems artistic.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Ken Gracey (Parallax)) : 3/6/2008 6:03:12 PM GMT
    edited 2008-03-06 20:58
    Ken Gracey (Parallax) said...

Whit: I'm thinking about mounting these on a wood base of AA grade plywood. I think there's something really nice about well-finished plywood combined with machined aluminum. . . sorta a mix of materials seems artistic.
    Sounds nice. I was looking at some craft plywood the other day. It has a very fine surface and tight plys in the core too.

Don't forget the idea of some matching tail wheels! (like your gas-powered bot)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

edited 2008-03-06 23:36
    Ken,

Having been in the aerospace industry for 30 plus years I can tell you those parts look absolutely great and I can now hardly wait till they are available.

My plans too are for a larger than normal Boe-Bot type of explorer and whatever else I can come up with.

Thanks for posting the pictures.

Carl
    edited 2008-03-07 00:03
    Carl,

Thanks for that - we tried to spare no expense in making these. We figure that we need some low-profit items in our lineup that our customers really enjoy [noparse][[/noparse]but don't let me mislead you - we have to make some kind of profit]. After all, work is hobby for us. Most companies probably wouldn't manufacture these things because they'd scream about their poor margin and the financial or marketing people would kill it before it got started, but half of the tech-heads in the office have great plans to build robots (big Boe-Bots) out of these units. We've got the same interests as our customers with these units. Let's build robots!! Can't crash 'em like R/C airplanes!

Do you think they need anodization? I don't, personally. . . aerospace parts are often anodized so I'd be interested in hearing what you have to say.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,545
    edited 2008-03-07 00:27
    Ken,

Careful in your selection with some types of plywood when it comes to moisture. You can have nice blistering effects with some plywood if it gets wet. An example is MDF (Medium Density Fiber Core Hardwood).

I would go with something like MDO (Medium Density Overlay) or HDO (High Density Overlay) if you want smooth surface consistency.
    If you want to see the grain of the wood, use something like HDP (High Density Plywood). The substrate material in HDP is often maple or birch making it stronger than other plywood solutions.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2008-03-07 01:24
    Hey Beau,

I want neither of those. I want marine grade Okoume plywood finished with water-based polyurethane. It'll make an incredibly pretty robot base.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,545
    edited 2008-03-07 01:31
    Ken,

Ahhh OK! smilewinkgrin.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2008-03-08 01:54
    Ken,

If I might throw in my 2 cents - The annodizing on the Penguin is beautiful, but I think I would still want natural on the wheel/motor sets.

The natural plywood with varnish sounds good with the natural aluminum too. Even the edges of the plywood can be beautiful if properly prepared.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

Post Edited (Whit) : 3/8/2008 2:05:37 AM GMT
    edited 2008-03-10 02:44
    Whit said...
    ... but I think I would still want natural on the wheel/motor sets.

Ditto.