Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Downloading Tachyon Binary — Parallax Forums

Downloading Tachyon Binary

I've looked and could not find a thread on my question, and this is not the first time Ive asked this question, but its been awhile.

Just bought a FLIP board for labor day. Im trying to download the Tachyon binary to it. When i first load the binary it says there is information that the editor didnt put there so it wont download it:

Then it gives an error when it try's to download to the FLIP:

The soundforge page that Peter provides simply says to download the binary then communicate using tera term et. all.

Sorry if im being obtuse, but I bought this FLIP board just to play with forth.

Any help would be appriciated.

Shawn

Comments

• bob_g4bbybob_g4bby Posts: 401
    edited 2022-09-10 13:51

It's been a while since I played with Tachyon, Shawn, but here's the Sourceforge page for Tachyon 5v7 which gives instructions on how to compile and load the system. BST, the compiler, is available here. Let us know how you get on.
    The full tachyon is a bit large for the P1, in which case leave out some of the 'extras'. That leaves more space for your application. Here's a glossary I wrote a while back for Tachyon - not perfect but useful.

I'd recommend getting one of the P2 boards and having a go with Taqoz. There's a lot more RAM for your application in a P2. Here's a glossary I wrote for that, which includes installation instructions towards the back.

Cheers, Bob

• Bob,
    You are correct, the tachyon I am trying to load is 65.5 kb. Hmm I'll give the 5.4 version a try

• bob_g4bbybob_g4bby Posts: 401
    edited 2022-09-10 18:07

Shawn, my understanding is that 5.7 does fit, with all the media stuff included, but it doesn't leave much room left for a user's program. Just compile and flash it into memory and get it to boot up ok. Experimenting with gaining more user space comes later. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

• @livinlowe - Shawn, I notice Peter's instructions are great if you're a Linux user, but don't help if (like me) you're a Windows user. Are you a Windows user? In which case tomorrow I can write up what I had to do to load Tachyon into flash memory today.
    Cheers, Bob

• Per the first post, it shows XIN as 10Mhz. The FLIP uses a 5Mhz crystal.

• @bob_g4bby said:
    @livinlowe - Shawn, I notice Peter's instructions are great if you're a Linux user, but don't help if (like me) you're a Windows user. Are you a Windows user? In which case tomorrow I can write up what I had to do to load Tachyon into flash memory today.
    Cheers, Bob

Bob-
    Yes, im a windows user (primarily, trying to get used to linux and make it a daily driver).

Thanks!
    Shawn

• @Publison said:
    Per the first post, it shows XIN as 10Mhz. The FLIP uses a 5Mhz crystal.

Yes, now i see that. Okay, that would be an issue, thanks.

Shawn

• livinlowelivinlowe Posts: 28
    edited 2022-09-11 00:48

I have tried the other versions of tachyon and they either request a 10MHz crystal or have problems compiling the listing

Bob - If you, or anyone else, is successful I would be grateful to hear how you achieved it.

Thanks

Shawn

edit: Ive installed v5.4 neon with success! I dont know why tera term was displaying junk when i asked it for 115200 baud. Thanks for everyones input and help.

• wow, the flip is handy for experimenting! The onboard LED's make going through the examples a breeze!

Glad I finally got one now, lol

• @livinlowe - Shawn, have a go with this article and see if it works for you. I'll attempt to fix any issues you find!