Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Cluso's P2 RetroBlade2 Single Chip Computer (small stock and build to order) - Page 11 — Parallax Forums

Cluso's P2 RetroBlade2 Single Chip Computer (small stock and build to order)

Comments

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066

@ChuckG said:

@Publison said:

@ChuckG said:
    Are there any more boards available in US? I would like to order 1 with flash and 1 without.

I have 2 left. Just what you want. One with Flash, One without.

RetroBlade2 without Flash USD $45 (including postage) each
    RetroBlade2 with Flash (8/16/32MB depending on my stock) USD $50 (including postage) each
    Payment to cluso -at- bluemagic -dot- biz (replace the -at- and -dot- and especially note the .biz)

Payment sent.
    Thanks

Thankyou. Publison will post to you.

• @ChuckG said:

@Publison said:

@ChuckG said:
    Are there any more boards available in US? I would like to order 1 with flash and 1 without.

I have 2 left. Just what you want. One with Flash, One without.

RetroBlade2 without Flash USD $45 (including postage) each
    RetroBlade2 with Flash (8/16/32MB depending on my stock) USD $50 (including postage) each
    Payment to cluso -at- bluemagic -dot- biz (replace the -at- and -dot- and especially note the .biz)

Payment sent.
    Thanks

Package sent. Will send tracking number.

• Ray,
    Are you now sold out?
    Jim

edited 2021-03-23 04:13

Yes (sold out) for stock in the USA

• @Cluso99 said:

How about Europe?
    Still possible to get a board?

Yes, they are still available. IIRC I have stock at home (am interstate atm) -Australia. Shipping has become expensive to most countries - cannot post - now has to go via international courier post. Will be home tomorrow.

• I am willing to stock more in the US if Ray has good stock to send.

@Publison
    Thanks Jim. I will try and have some stock ready to ship to you with the next US order.
    Ray

Shameless plug.....
    A number have been asking for P2 boards that plug into breadboards. My board will do this.

• @aaaaaaaargh said:

@Cluso99 said:

How about Europe?
    Still possible to get a board?

@Cluso99 - how many boards do you think are needed in a single batch, destined for Europe, to make the shipping costs economically justifiable per board in current situation ?

The postal courier cost varies from about $25-$30 depending on country. This is without insurance but with tracking. Some countries are no-go as the postal system is not secure.
    This is for 500g so that would be for 10 boards. If the VGA is not required this saves 10g*10 so you would get at least 12 boards. I also include other connectors that have little weight but do add up. For 1kg it’s $40-$45.

There are also potential imports costs in some countries which can be severe too.

So it really depends on how much the buyer is prepared to spend on the shipping.

• Yeah, you are right.
    I did the basic math and it shows crystal clear that customs, taxes and postal services' costs are effectively denying us hobbysts access to the fine P2 boards that happen not to be mass produced and distributed worldwide or are manufactured outside "our economic zone". A real pity.

Your board in single quantity delivered to Poland and properly taxed would cost me ~80 USD and that is no small amount. If I buy a ten-pack then the price would drop to ~60 USD apiece but then what would I do with the remaining nine (or eight, if I keep the second one as a reference/spare one which I would probably do anyway) ?

Yes, our post office removed the $3 small 50g postage for thin 20mm parcels with the excuse that COVID and the receiving countries caused this, but we know it’s just an excuse - every country just wouldn’t do this at the same time. Meanwhile China still can ship real cheap. :(

I bought these tiny heatsinks on fleabay - designed for RaspberryPi so they are quite cheap - around US$2.75 per set. They come in a pack of 4 different sizes.

For those pushing the P2 and are worried about heat, the bulkier copper ones are probably better but the blue annodised ones look nicer IMHO. The largest fits nicely on the P2 while the next biggest covers the two larger SOT223 regulators and the smallest one will fit the smaller SOT89 regulator. IMHO they shouldn't be necessary for almost everyone. But if you're pushing the P2 to its' limits this may just be the solution for you. The regulators can handle 1A if adequately heatsinked so you shouldn't have any problems pushing well over 500mA.

• gee what a nice match for your board

• FWIW, I am using that same heatsink on my P2-EVAL. Works a treat even though the P2 really doesnt need it. I used JB Weld to attach it. IMHO JB Weld is pure magic. It is a ferocious epoxy that has excellent thermal conductivity. Once you stick that heat sink on there, it wont be coming off.

• Cool!! :-)

The large heatsink is perfect for the P2 and they have peelable sticky on the heatsinks to attach to the chip(s).

• You showed them last night/morning unmounted. What a great fit mounted.

They are just sitting there, not stuck down ;)

• Any plans for stock in the USA?

• I have one in stock with flash for shipment in US. Go to the first post to pay Ray.

• @Publison said:
    I have one in stock with flash for shipment in US. Go to the first post to pay Ray.

This is for the original,

• Okay, payment sent, then I saw the comment for the 'original'. Not sure what that means though.

edited 2021-08-10 23:05

I am just checking with @Publison (Jim) but I think 'original' is

Rev B chip and IS25LP128BLE 16MB Flash

The only difference between Rev B and Rev C (ES & production) is the ADC has a track cut within the chip. No software changes were done. FWIW The boards I am using here have Rev B chips.

• Sounds good. So the issue might be some crosstalk on ADC channels near each other from what I can see. Probably not a worry for me.

@photomankc said:
    Sounds good. So the issue might be some crosstalk on ADC channels near each other from what I can see. Probably not a worry for me.

Yes, that is the only difference.

• @Publison said:

@Publison said:
    I have one in stock with flash for shipment in US. Go to the first post to pay Ray.

This is for the original,

What I meant by "original" was the board in the first post. I knew Ray was working on a new board, but is not yet available.

While I’ve thought about other designs, I don’t think they will replace this one any time soon.

• Thanks guys! Looking forward to trying the board out. Starting to tool-up to try out the P2 for my Wild-Thumper based Bot/RC rover.