Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Cluso's P2 RetroBlade2 Single Chip Computer (small stock and build to order) - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

Cluso's P2 RetroBlade2 Single Chip Computer (small stock and build to order)

Comments

• Yep it will be interesting to see how removing some bypass caps affect the max speed attainable on the retroblade2. I suspect rather than having a uniform value we might be better having alternating bulk (1uF?) and higher frequency (10nF?) caps

Having all the pads there like you have, makes this possible to test

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    Tubular wrote: »
    Yep it will be interesting to see how removing some bypass caps affect the max speed attainable on the retroblade2. I suspect rather than having a uniform value we might be better having alternating bulk (1uF?) and higher frequency (10nF?) caps

Having all the pads there like you have, makes this possible to test
    At the end of each 4 pins I have an extra bulk capacitor (except on the xtal corner)
  • ah ok what value are the closer caps then?
    100nF although I wonder if a lower value such as 10nF or a mix of both may prove better for ADC.
    Here’s my board with the VGA. If you don’t fit the VGA there’s another 16 IO under the VGA on 0.1” headers. You can actually solder these from the underside under the VGA to get at them but VGA uses the top 5 of these 16 IO.

Note i use a $1.50 usb-ttl instead of a $15? propplug and i get 5V power from the usb as a bonus.
    8F4C3F6A-04F1-4310-B463-8892573C9525.jpeg
    WooHoo :sunglasses:

VGA working on P24-31 and VS on P28. I'll post pics and code here shortly
    edited 2020-11-03 02:27
    Here is the code. The following changes were required to Chips VGA driver to permit the VGA to be used on a 4pin boundary rather than an 8 pin boundary, and when on an odd 4 pin boundary use Vsync as the pin prior to the base (eg with base = 28, vsync is on 27)
      _vgabase = 28                         ' 28,29,30,31 & VS=27

and in the VGA driver
    ' av_base_pin_ := av_board_base_pin & $38
      av_base_pin_ := av_board_base_pin & $3C		' permit 4 pin boundary
    '    pinclear(av_base_pin_ addpins 4)
    	if av_base_pin_ & $04						' odd 4 pin boundary?		??? wrong cog so doesn't do anything ???
    		pinclear(av_base_pin_ addpins 4)		' clear pins
    	else
    		pinclear((av_base_pin_ -1 ) addpins 4)	' clear pins
    		xor	av_base_pin,#4|(3<<6)	'leave av_base pointing to pin +4 (vertical sync)
    		test	av_base_pin,#4	wz		' odd 4 pin base?
      if_z	add		av_base_pin,#3			' adj  av_base pointing to pin -1 (vertical sync)

Note my comment on the pinclear section (cogstop). I think this is an error as the cog driving the vga pins is different to the spin code cog, so this doesn't achieve anything.
  • Good stuff Cluso

Thats an interesting pinout don't think i've seen that before. 3v3, Gnd, 5v, tx, rx, dtr. At least it has DTR. Wonder what that naturally lines up with
    edited 2020-11-03 02:53
    Tubular wrote: »
    Good stuff Cluso

Thats an interesting pinout don't think i've seen that before. 3v3, Gnd, 5v, tx, rx, dtr. At least it has DTR. Wonder what that naturally lines up with

The fleabay $1.50 shipped USB-TTL 6pin CP2102 (full sized USB-A as the new microUSB uses a different pinout - how stupid). It is shown in the previous pics beside my board, but I swapped the pins to a different long pin female so it plugs into my pcb and sits above the VGA. I use the same USB-TTL on my P1 boards.

The 3V3 is not usable (and not connected on my pcb). I take the 5V/GND from the usb port (ie PC). This is why my boards have the linkable transistor reset circuit. Otherwise an expensive and dedicated PropPlug is required.
  • I'm doing an inline version of my uPORT that has the USB A plug on one end and the 6 pins on the other although instead of DTR it will be a conditioned reset pulse. It will be very cheap.
    edited 2020-11-03 03:17
    I'm doing an inline version of my uPORT that has the USB A plug on one end and the 6 pins on the other although instead of DTR it will be a conditioned reset pulse. It will be very cheap.
    Have you considered a microUSB connector? I can link out the transistor reset but the series 100nF and pullup is currently fitted to the pcb. It's possible to put a wire trace to bypass the cap as the cap feeds a small via. Or build with 0R and leave out the 10K.
    microUSB ports and keyboard working with Garryj's USB code :sunglasses:

However, I didn't realise the USB driver requires 3 pins below the D-/D+ pair. I used P48/49 for J5 uUSB and P50/51 for J6 uUSB. I have P52-57 free, so I just need to work out what to modify in order to use P52/53 and P54/55 for the uUSB connections respectively.

So for testing I just used one port, then the other.

Worked first time too :)
    Z80 & CPM2.2 basics working :sunglasses:
    This is not a fully functional Z80 & CPM2.2 yet but as you can see DIR LS and MBASIC are working. Couldn't recall how to end MSBASIC tho.
    RetroBlade2-ClusoZ80-054a.jpg
    RetroBlade2-CPM2.2-054a2.jpg
    825 x 856 - 195K
    632 x 591 - 71K
  • Looking good. How about some COBOL? :smile:
    There isn't a snobols chance that I can recall any cobol ;)
  • hmm was it 'sys' to get out of mbasic?
  • actually I think its 'system'
    Thanks Lachlan. Yes, it's SYSTEM :sunglasses:
  • I would like to get one of the no vga w/ flash when you sell these. Can you take paypal?
    thanks,
    frank
    Yes Frank, paypal in USD is preferred as i use paypal to buy the parts and they are in USD too. Saves a lot of extra paypal conversion fees which paypal try very hard to extract. I expect to complete my testing within a few days. Then i will announce availability here in this thread.
    The first batch will probably be P2 Rev B ES (ADC metal cut was the only change to Rev C).
    My 4.0” 480x320 SPI LCD Touch from fleabay arrived today. It’s now basically working on my RetroBlade2 - i just posted this on a new thread as it will also work on the other P2 boards.
  • msrobotsmsrobots Posts: 3,701
    edited 2020-11-05 21:29
    Looking good. How about some COBOL? :smile:

Here some to try...
    IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.
    PROGRAM-ID. HELLO-WORLD.
    * simple hello world program
    PROCEDURE DIVISION.
        DISPLAY 'Hello world!'.
        STOP RUN.

Mike
    edited 2020-11-15 00:36
    Update 2020-11-15: See the first post in this thread for updated order info.

OK I am ready to take orders :sunglasses:

Even if you have indicated in a previous post, please add your order in a post below. Payment will be via PayPal in USD (when pcbs are ready). Specs etc in the first post.

The first boards will use Rev B P2's (I will be getting them from Peter) and will not have Flash chips. My Flash chips are limited.

If you want Flash then please specifically ask (because I haven't verified the Flash as yet, and only have one 8MB chip anyway). If required, they will be W25Q64JVSSIQ (8MB) unless I verify that I can fit the W25Q128JVEIQ WSON-8-E on the pads.
  • One for me !
  • Hi Cluso99

Can't seem to find a price anywhere?
    Not on you website.
    You don't want paypal to exchange currencies your end so it has to be US$ from US what about from UK? (UK£)? and europe (Euros)? Have I got that right?

Dave
  • I think Cluso99 wants the payment in US$ regardless of our (and his) native currencies, at least it is my understanding so if I am in Poland and my currency is PLN I still need to make payment in USD and so he gets USD.
    edited 2020-11-06 12:43
    Price is on the first post. Yes USD as that is what i buy the parts with. Saves PayPal taking >>5% each way.

I don’t have it on my website yet, and probably won’t for a while.
  • I'd be interested in a board with the flash footprint, even if the chip isn't mounted/included.
  • I sense a P2 Live Forum topic!

@Cluso99 let's get this scheduled.

Ken Gracey
  • avsa242 wrote: »
    I'd be interested in a board with the flash footprint, even if the chip isn't mounted/included.

Per the first post, the pattern is on the back side.