Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Erco's Figure Eight Challenge - Page 18 — Parallax Forums

Erco's Figure Eight Challenge

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Another darn figure 8. This is a nice little Feetech aluminum chassis & controller from China. I mentioned this controller elsewhere. Finally had a minute to build up a board and take it for a spin.

edited 2016-10-14 01:07
    Just one more and I'll stop for today.

Edit: That's a hat trick for me, I have the last 3 figure 8s in this thread. Beat that, Duane, Whit & Martin!

$8 Ebay chassis after I replaced the too-fast 48:1 gearmotors with 120:1 units.

BAM, four in a row! This is too easy! Who will answer the call and break my streak?

edited 2016-10-15 08:55
    This thread now serves as legal documentation of my painfully slow descent into Figure 8 madness.

ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES ERCO A DULL BOY. FIVE!

• OK that's a hoot.
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    Who knew?
  • I'm sure no packaging materials were harmed in the making of this video. Is Parallax going to be offering this as an accessorie parts kit for the S3?

edited 2016-10-15 22:50
    Pretty silly stuff, to be sure. If I would have had a stiff dead cat I might have used that... Do super glue & motors stick to fur? But at least I got a comment out of Martin_H! You've been way too quiet lately, Pal. We miss your creative spirit of experimentation, Mr. "Draw a Figure 8". Need more of your stuff!
  • @erco, yeah I need to get started again. Work has been interfering with robots for too long.
    Agreed, it's so important to sort out that work/robot balance!
  • TtailspinTtailspin Posts: 1,326
    edited 2016-10-16 17:50
    A cardboard box figure 8 is awesome,
    I just wonder what you could do with a small piece of plywood... :)
    And now the great Tommy "Rudder" Ttailspin returns!

We're getting the band back together! As Brother Whit+ can attest, we're on a mission from God!
    edited 2016-10-17 02:39
    While I have the floor, I'll extend my streak to SIX Figure 8's in a row with this oddball TAB Robot kit. Feels like a fillibuster from my Figure 8 pedestal. "Mr. Erco goes to Washington". Or maybe Rocklin. And yes, this bot is using a BASIC Stamp 2! From my Youtube description:

TAB Kit circa 2002 chugs around a figure 8 course. It lacks fine motor control, the motors only fire in bursts of forward or turn in place, so the movement is jerky. Kit comes bare with several built-in "behaviors" like light seeking, obstacle avoiding, etc. But to write your own custom programs, it's necessary to add a Parallax BASIC Stamp 2 in the provided socket. It works, but requires cumbersome SHIFTIN and SHIFTOUT commands, which burn up a fair amount of the BS2's tiny 2K memory. This robot is designed to use a 9V battery, which drains very quickly. I modified it to use a small 7.4V LiPo battery to improve performance and consistency.

Programming instructions at http://isl.ecst.csuchico.edu/DOCS/Robots/TABrobotics/Book/6 - BASIC Stamp 2 Robot Programming.pdf

Zero activity in two weeks? C'mon lads! I was sure that someone would take the bait and break my streak of six Figure 8's in a row. Shall I keep going or will someone answer the call?

Until someone does, I'll occasionally bump this thread by congratulating myself about my current reign in the ONLY way proven to motivate this crowd...

edited 2016-11-09 01:02
    Booya. SEVEN.

Yeah yeah, Jim already posted two beautiful consecutive 8's with his S3 using Blocky. But I was playing around with the GUI today with close quarters cups and the accuracy was perfect with nothing but timing commands, so I figured I'd share here.

The S3 is even more accurate than its box. :) (See second video.)

• BWAHAHAHA!!
    BWAHAHAHA!!

Finally, a last responder! Now Carol, it's up to you to break my streak and end my mad campaign for Figure 8 dominance. Fire up the Gortinator and do a figure 8!

Wait, have you even done any figure 8's yet, Carol? You never forget your first...

• As a matter of fact I have a couple of walkers I can do a figure eight with.
    Game on Erco! The Gortinator would be too easy as it has differential drive.
    Let's see........ should I use a two legged walker, a four legged or maybe my six legged Spidey.
    Keep tuned to this channel!
    Awesome, now let's...

"Make Figure 8 Great Again".
  • Want me to put an orange wig on it?
  • Want me to put an orange wig on it?

Lol
    Jim
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    Are there any rules to this challenge?

I'm sure if I ever built a robot it would probably run around in a figure of 8 quite by accident!
    edited 2016-11-09 14:40
    Heater. wrote: »
    Are there any rules to this challenge?

None at all!

The goal is to demonstrate consistent dead reckoning ability. Generally a full circle one way then the other way, stopping right where you started. Easy peezy, right?

Circling around plates/cups and making lights & sounds are nice optional touches.
    So I only need a fixed point on the plane to return to accurately?

Does my bot need to be pointing in the same direction when it returns? Or can it have skewed a bit? Or a lot?

Does my bot need to always make the loops over they same path? Or can the loops precess?

You worry too much.

There is no try. There is only do.

Be the ball, Heater. You can do this.
  • erco wrote: »
    You worry too much.

There is no try. There is only do.

Be the ball, Heater. You can do this.

+1, We need an example, and who knows it could be ground breaking. Wikipedia worthy!
    Want me to put an orange wig on it?

And a white pants suit.

But if your bot starts acting very strange, it's not my fault.

No F8 but what we make!

MikeDYur,

Yeah...what was that thing that I did on this forum that I found was sited on wikipedia? (For whatever odd reason) I don't recall anymore and have no chance of googling it.
  • Heater, Forget about making your own platform, there are many good options out there. It could be about the AI you can implement on it, a BoeBot with some new moves maybe. Rationalizing it's path, learning from it's mistakes or just putting a sentence together from single words, instead of ready made strings. Of course the robot would have to undrstand the definitions and how to build sentences with them. What am I talking about, that would take a machine the size of IBM Watson.

I'm sure you can do something with the Propeller nobody has done before. There is a need here for even just a simple example by your hands.

The P2 will someday be waiting for creations we haven't thought of.
    Hey, I'm just this guy, y'know.

Rummaging in my junk box now:

Propeller - check.
    Motors - check.
    Chassis/Boxes - check.
    MOSFETS - check.
    Sensors - ...

.... rumage, rumage...ColorPal.... Hmm. That could do it.