Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Erco's Figure Eight Challenge - Page 24 — Parallax Forums

Erco's Figure Eight Challenge

1181920212224»

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    edited 2022-02-19 23:27

And now for something completely different!

In honor of the Figure 8 challenge's 10th anniversary Monday, here's an all-mechanical robot kit I just built today. Fun to build and an interesting design, the path is "programmed" to steer using pegs on a central wheel which alternately lifts the left & right wheels, which rotate together as a solid barbell.

erco-approved! Includes accessories: gripper, forklift, pen holder, soccer ball & catapult!

Item detail at https://www.walmart.com/ip/TEACH-TECH-Mech-5-Programable-Mechanical-Robot-Coding-Kit-STEM-Educational-Toys/772316444

Preliminary experiments indicate that a square figure 8 works better than a diamond pattern. I need a government grant to fund my research!

• @Whit said:
    Something new for Erco...
    Beat you to it! I also did this with the FLiP, but lost the video! Ugh. Will re-shoot later.

Amazing job Whit!!

• Just in time for the 10th anniversary of Erco's Figure 8 Challenge.

Propeller >> PPM >> RC Transmitter >> 'Bot.

Not bad for open loop, low traction wheels and a CR servo with a drifting pot. Each circle is 10.3 seconds, I adjusted the speed while keeping the loop time constant. The drifting pot on one servo made it difficult. I plan to redo this, but for now I'm impressed so here it is.

That's BEAUTIMOUS, Jon! Way to come down to the wire and get the Gold medal! Bravo! I hope to knock another quickie together tomorrow to celebrate ten years. And guess what the traditional gift is for a ten year anniversary? (SO PERFECT)

10th Anniversary: Tin or Aluminum
    Look out, world—you've tackled ten whole years of marriage. The decade-long anniversary gift is traditionally tin or aluminum, which symbolize the strength and resilience of your marriage robotic challenge.

edited 2022-02-22 01:30

Limited time today but I DID slam this aluminum (traditional 10th anniversary gift) chassis together and coax it through a figure 8. Happy Anniversary and thanks to @Martin_H for starting and everyone who has contributed to make this such an amazing and long-lived thread!

• Nice, that looks familiar. Was it Feetech?

Not Feetech, but similar to the MakeBlock robots you've likely seen. A BoeBot knockoff, except that it uses DC motors instead of CR servos.