Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Erco's Figure Eight Challenge - Page 16 — Parallax Forums

Erco's Figure Eight Challenge

Comments

• Yes say double your design for redundancy or buffering input to keep a step ahead.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Now you're barkin'.
  • Going through my drawer of a couple dozen photocells, I was lucky to find a matching pair, must have been a Radio Shack special.

I never knew what this was, shure is pretty.
    720 x 1280 - 444K
  • I don't know what to do with the other forty eight.
    It's to bad I couldn't come up with a pair, sure makes a sweet install into a piece of aluminum, and LED's drilled at an angle to focus. may be able to detect from farther away?
    720 x 1280 - 492K
    For your consideration.
    700 x 500 - 38K
  • Exellent truth table.
    edited 2015-11-27 03:55
    @Mike: I have a photocell that surely matches one of your three. Somewhere. IIRC it WAS a Radio Shack bulk pack. 25+ years ago.

I'm curious if old photocells go bad on their own sitting in a box. I have a 30 year-old IR motion detector light on my house where the photocell has gone bad, but that might be because it was outdoors exposed to the sun all those years. The light still switches on, but in the middle of the day too, so we have to manually turn it off in the daytime.

When I put the Christmas lights up, I'll pop one of my 4-cent photocells into the motion detector and get another 30 years out of it.

BTW I doubt if those photocells will work at any distance from the line without either isolation tubes/blinders or lenses. They need to be very directional.

• I don't think CdS photocells degrade on their own, I'm sure direct sunlight, temperature, moisture, ect. efects opperation, sometimes they have a clearcoat that's the first thing to fail, 30 years is a lot to ask of electronics exposed to the elements, I would say you got good service out of that light.
    "erco wrote: »
    BTW I doubt if those photocells will work at any distance from the line without either isolation tubes/blinders or lenses. They need to be very directional.

My idea was to counter sink the components into a block of aluminum, angled in relation to LEDs for a specific distance, lens hoods would be built in. I know you can't ask too much from this technology, but in the case of your RoboCar they performed admirably.
  • Erco!
    We need to save Buzz, he's heading for a life of crime, he thinks he's not popular any more, revenues from the toy stores haven't been so good lately. Not sure who's house he's in, but he's after the elf's.
    720 x 540 - 38K
    Buzz likes to play "Elf in the Garbage Disposal".
    First part of construction article online for that last bot at at http://servo.texterity.com/servo/201601/?folio=36&pg=36#pg36
  • It is so simply done compared to some of the projects of other people on this post.
    Mounted a Scribbler 2 badge in flashing mode on top of my Scribbler 2 and using time lapse photograhy
    made a run. Some people want to know the camera settings also. My hubby says you camera guys
    will understand this, bulb - f20 - ISO 100. Picture is a little distorted by angle it was taken from.
    I will try again to get one more straight on.
    938 x 484 - 76K
    1152 x 864 - 290K
  • Carol, that's a neat idea. Thanks for posting.
  • Beautiful work, Carol, Reminds me of the Felt Black light posters. Groovy... :)
    edited 2016-03-19 21:14
    While everyone is away and distracted doing long-exposure photos of LEDs in the "Fibonacci Spiral" thread, I'll resurrect the F8C long enough to demo this unfinished new bot I call "Flip". The video starts slow but comes on strong at the end. After the crickets.

• That's flippin awesome, it landed on its wheels!
  • Do you have some close up pictures of the little guy? What controller and what battery are you using?
    edited 2016-03-19 21:51
    It IS small, uses a Picaxe and one 14500 cell. Can't share photos or more just yet, this is a tiny sliver of a much larger confidential project I'm working on. Let's just say I'm pushing a few envelopes and having fun. This bot isn't even half done yet, I won't be able to show what it ultimately does. But sadly no fire...

I had to share something to let you know that I'm not just goofing off while you kool kidz are doing Fibonaccis!
  • I have two articles in next issue of Robot Magazine so pick one up when it comes out to see what I did in between spirals. BTW, both articles involve Parallax products!
  • A very obvious attempt at brown nosing that was.
    Not brown nosing at all, it's called cross-sell.

BTW you're talking to the king of shameless self promotion. Sell the sizzle, not the steak!
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2016-04-13 16:48
    Don't know if this is already in here - I just discovered it when I followed some links in this thread. The Forum Member is rwgast_logicdesign.

Update: It is here! WAY BACK there too. Bad memory on my part!

@Whit: The mind is the second thing to go. :)
    No backflip, but pretty cool that simple little Paddlebot which mostly drags itself along is fairly repeatable.

• Ha ha, that is cute! I like it.
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    BRAVO!
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2016-04-23 20:57
    Whit wrote: »
    BRAVO!
    What he said!

• Cute, now put a go pro on it for a queazy POV video!
    If you only knew... :)