Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Article: Parallax Propeller on DEF CON 20 Badge Start Here! - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Article: Parallax Propeller on DEF CON 20 Badge Start Here!

Comments

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2012-07-27 15:43
    mindrobots wrote: »
    The UBER is still on the front page graphic when you enter the web site!!

Attachment not found.

Shh!! Don't tell anybody.!!
  • Jen J.Jen J. Posts: 649
    edited 2012-07-27 16:13
    Wait...what?

Also, we do not clip with chainsaws...too messy.
    Use this instead.
    Lasso.png
    33 x 27 - 3K
  • AJMAJM Posts: 171
    edited 2012-07-27 18:28
    Congratulations!
  • starkruzrstarkruzr Posts: 1
    edited 2012-07-28 12:38
    The Uber badge is also in the Google image cache, sooooo... hiding is not going to work at this point anymore ;)

Anyone do anything fun with these yet? For some reason mine is not responding to minicom at 57600bps. I must be doing something wrong but haven't figured out what yet.
  • LinuxBadgeLinuxBadge Posts: 1
    edited 2012-07-28 15:04
    Has any one got simpleide to talk to the badge? What are the settings you used?
  • JeffAveryJeffAvery Posts: 2
    edited 2012-07-28 15:25
    Wow, the badge has stepped up this year....nice.

OK, I have to ask a question and I'm not ready to ask at Defcon yet ha, ha. Plugged in to USB the badge works fine. I loaded a couple EEPROMs from the defcon CD with no issues. However, if I try to put the batteries in it starts to cook the chip right below the outside battery terminal. Small square looks like 4 pins on each side? I can't read it now because it's gotten hot. I tried it once, then went to USB, loaded the sample led EEPROM from Defcon then tried the batteries again same results. USB works great, the batteries start to cook that chip fast. Thoughts? Congrats on all the work to get these out.

Regards,
    jeff
  • JeffAveryJeffAvery Posts: 2
    edited 2012-07-28 15:28
    LinuxBadge wrote: »

If you go to the first link about the badge (below) there are links to the Parallax IDE, a simple, open source IDE and some source files for it. Happy Hacking!
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?141494-Article-Parallax-Propeller-on-DEF-CON-20-Badge-Start-Here!&

Getting Started with the DEF CON 20 Badge
    (Specific links to resources to follow today and tomorrow)

So you’ve picked up a DEF CON 20 Badge and you’d like to start programming it for another purpose. These forums are among the most valuable of all of our resources. Take a look and download some of these before you get started.
    • Propeller Tool (Windows) – includes many example codes
    • Learn.parallax.com and the Propeller BOE – two useful tools to get you started
    • Simple IDE - Open-source Alternative Propeller Tool (Windows, Linux, Mac) - our future programming interface for Propellers
    • Badge Schematic (to follow after contest is finished)
    • DEF CON 20 Badge Code Objects (download below)
    • Top Propeller Spin File (to be posted at end of DEF CON 20)
    • DEF CON 20 Badge LED Example (download below)
    • DEF CON 20 Badge VGA and PS2 Example (download below)
    paperclip.png Attached Files
  • Faithplus1Faithplus1 Posts: 1
    edited 2012-07-28 17:20
    whopis wrote: »
    OK - sorry for the delay.

I was a bit scared to log into the parallax forums from the unsecured defcon network since they don't use https.... but a VPN to another machine is serving its purpose well.

Here is what I have: Look at the README.txt file - it should go through the basics. Sorry things are not more user friendly but it gets the job done.

I included the virginbadge.eeprom so you can unbrick your badge.

I would greatly appreciate any help with the crypto stuff.... dan@hoverflytech.com

Thanks for the write up and badge files. I was curious if others have had this issue.

I updated the led to the eeprom and now the dcXX standard boot screen (who you have talked to etc) is no longer working. I'm guessing I just need to send the right basic file for the functionality back. I tried the virgin code you included but no dice.

I was also curious how to download all files from eeprom to my computer. I was thinking I could use a buddies badge to then fully overwrite my badge. Maybe that's not the right way to go about fixing?

Thanks
    Faithplus1
    edited 2012-07-28 17:51
    DEFCON badge news: If you are having any technical issues with your human badge, you can come to reg and exchange it for a new one. No questions asked.*Also, if you want to take home an extra human badge or 3, they can also be purchased now at the reg desk. 40 clams.*
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2012-07-28 19:12
    LinuxBadge wrote: »

SimpleIDE v0-8-1 is needed to talk to the badge. The badge baudrate is 57600, and a flexible serial terminal baud-rate was added for that.

Still sleeping it off ....
  • E1nsteinE1nstein Posts: 1
    edited 2012-07-28 20:00
    Faithplus1 wrote: »
    Thanks for the write up and badge files. I was curious if others have had this issue.

I updated the led to the eeprom and now the dcXX standard boot screen (who you have talked to etc) is no longer working. I'm guessing I just need to send the right basic file for the functionality back. I tried the virgin code you included but no dice.

I was also curious how to download all files from eeprom to my computer. I was thinking I could use a buddies badge to then fully overwrite my badge. Maybe that's not the right way to go about fixing?

Thanks
    Faithplus1

Mine stopped working too, but I didn't update the eeprom. I want to know if it is because maybe someone infected me or something else.
  • hoppahhoppah Posts: 1
    edited 2012-07-28 20:25
    Stuff:

1. Badge has RAM and EPROM. The code for your badge sits in EPROM and loads into RAM when you power-cycle or reset it. The codes you receive from other badges modify flags in the storage space in EPROM. These modifications are tiny. EPROM writing is slow - so if someone did come up with a way to "infect" your RAM, resetting would almost certainly clear it, because it's not really feasible for a program of any size to be written to your EPROM by someone just walking by you.
    2. Your badge can be restored to "virgin" state by a bunch of folks in the Hardware Hacking area. So if you've hammered it, just call out and someone can restore it. It's pretty trivial, but it requires you first writing a program to the badge that allows the badge to receive data for the EPROM. This is not obvious, hence the confusion on some folks part.
    3. Some of the folks in the Hardware Hacking area can also make your badge behave as if it were any other type of badge but uber. They may be persuaded to modify yours for a sandwich or something.
    3. I had trouble communicating with the badge using several terminal programs, but the one supplied on Parallax's page seems to work fine. Note that the terminal parser has very limited functionality. It doesn't respond to input - it just pops up a screen showing what other badges yours has seen (by type). Connect to it at 57600 and hit reset, you should see this screen.

There are plenty of helpful folks in the Hardware Hacking area if you'd like to learn more.

H.
  • yakpimpyakpimp Posts: 6
    edited 2012-07-29 18:04
    I told some people I would post this in a forum so they could use it.

I made a simple POV app for the badge, the source is here http://pastebin.com/n5Z5wXDq

IMG_54452.jpg

Y
    ou can get more info here http://yakhack.wordpress.com
    1024 x 768 - 48K
    edited 2012-07-29 22:38
    yakpimp wrote: »
    I told some people I would post this in a forum so they could use it.
    Nice work. Hope you find other satisfying things to do with your badge. We have an interesting community here.
  • yakpimpyakpimp Posts: 6
    edited 2012-07-30 07:58
    Yeah, I love this little thing so far. I picked up a second one just so I know I have a spare if I manage to break this one.

Great design, and awesome work.

Thanks,
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2012-07-30 10:51
    Now that the conference is over will these badges be available for sale? I'm wondering how we can support badge owners who want to use Propeller GCC if we are unable to get badges for testing. I guess Steve probably has one but are more available?
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2012-07-30 11:02
    David Betz wrote: »
    Now that the conference is over will these badges be available for sale? I'm wondering how we can support badge owners who want to use Propeller GCC if we are unable to get badges for testing. I guess Steve probably has one but are more available?

+1
  • kahuwi1kahuwi1 Posts: 1
    edited 2012-07-30 11:29
    Where can we locate the ps2 and vga component connectors now that defcon is over?
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2012-07-30 11:58
    kahuwi1 wrote: »
    Where can we locate the ps2 and vga component connectors now that defcon is over?

If you have a badge I can send you a set. Just drop me a message via e-mail.

- Ken Gracey
    edited 2012-07-30 11:59
    Did you attend DEF CON 20?
    Share your badge hacking experiences on this thread:
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?141567-How-did-you-hack-your-DEF-CON-20-Badge
  • slipjackslipjack Posts: 1
    edited 2012-07-30 12:18
    What type of display is shown in the pictures that you've got hooked up to the badge and where can you get them?

Awesome work on the badge BTW - great stuff.
  • TheDoubleDTheDoubleD Posts: 2
    edited 2012-07-30 15:44
    Has anyone got the badge to talk to a Mac OS X based system. I have Simple IDE installed no problem but the serial port drop down is empty.
  • Daniel HarrisDaniel Harris Posts: 207
    edited 2012-07-30 16:08
    TheDoubleD wrote: »
    Has anyone got the badge to talk to a Mac OS X based system. I have Simple IDE installed no problem but the serial port drop down is empty.

Hi TheDoubleD,

After you plug your board in, try clicking on the blue "refresh" arrows near the upper right hand corner. This will refresh the port list. You should also be able to restart SimpleIDE to have the port list refreshed.

Lemme know if it works.

Thanks,
    Daniel
    edited 2012-07-30 16:10
    slipjack wrote: »
    What type of display is shown in the pictures that you've got hooked up to the badge and where can you get them?

Awesome work on the badge BTW - great stuff.

Hello Slipjack,

Welcome to the forums. That display is just a small VGA monitor. You should be able to use any VGA monitor once you have soldered the connector to the badge.

Thank you for the kind words - I'll relay them back to the design team and manufacturing :). woot!
    edited 2012-07-30 16:17
    TheDoubleD wrote: »

Please set Loader Delay to 1 in SimpleIDE Properties (wrench button) -> General Tab.

Plug in to the USB port - after a moment you should see the LED blink. Press the "port refresh" button to the right of the drop-down box. You should see a /dev/cu entry if the driver is working.

In SimpleIDE v0-8-1, the terminal has a baud rate drop-down box (v0-8-0 does not). Set it to 57600 for the badge.

BST is another Mac program you can try if you don't have any luck with SimpleIDE.
  • chudelchudel Posts: 2
    edited 2012-07-30 17:29
    Hi - this was totally awesome! I have soldered my connectors and my question is - will there be any VGA display without loading the VGA software into the badge? Or should I expect the display to be blank until the software is loaded? Just want to test one thing at a time. :) I think I am hooked, and for an old software guy, this is pretty cool!
    edited 2012-07-30 17:46
    chudel wrote: »
    Hi - this was totally awesome! I have soldered my connectors and my question is - will there be any VGA display without loading the VGA software into the badge? Or should I expect the display to be blank until the software is loaded? Just want to test one thing at a time. :) I think I am hooked, and for an old software guy, this is pretty cool!

Hi Chudel,

Welcome to the forums, and the Propeller :). I may be a little biased, but IMHO, the Propeller is a darn cool chip.

I looked at the original Def Con source code - there is no code in there to drive the VGA port so it will be blank until you load in the example software, or something derived from it.
  • chudelchudel Posts: 2
    edited 2012-07-30 18:10
    Thanks for the quick reply! On to the IDE for me (in an OSX VM)
  • tim1986tim1986 Posts: 41
    edited 2012-07-30 18:15
    This was talked about on TWiT(This Week in Tech) this Sunday. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IJLJp9A_ME&t=6m51s Just thought it was cool.
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2012-07-30 18:40
    tim1986 wrote: »
    This was talked about on TWiT(This Week in Tech) this Sunday. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IJLJp9A_ME&t=6m51s Just thought it was cool.

Great find and nice summary in that video, tim1986. Robert Ballecer (the priest) did a really accurate summary of DEFCON from my point of view.