Propeller GUI touchscreen and full color display

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2012-02-17 17:45
    Forth?

-Phil
  • Dr_AculaDr_Acula Posts: 5,484
    edited 2012-02-17 20:02
    Good suggestion PhiPi. Checking it out now...
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2012-02-17 23:44
    blittled,
    Dr. Acula you are amazing, first CPM, now a touchscreen GUI. What's next, a KDE desktop ?

Wait up a minute, CP/M on the Prop was me!

Dr A is amazing, and his work and encouragement (Not forgetting Cluso and a cast of thousands) pushed CP/M on the Prop much further than I would ever have imagined.
    edited 2012-02-18 02:33
    Wait up a minute, CP/M on the Prop was me!

Heater is correct. And his avatar is "Zicog". Plus he invented Zog who is bigger than all of us!

I've coded a simple demo program. 40x15 white on blue screen using the propeller font. One font. No graphics. Font is stored in hub, so no external ram needed. Useful for debugging as you need something simple to display the debugging information.
    640 x 480 - 48K
  • TylerSkylerTylerSkyler Posts: 72
    edited 2012-02-23 23:09
    Dr. A, I believe you have gotten the SD Card on the board to work. I have replaced the resistors with wire links and they seem ok. I know what the 4 data lines to the propeller are, but what are the power pins on the LCD board?

Thanks,

Tyler
    edited 2012-02-23 23:28
    Scroll down on this page http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-4-TFT-LCD-Module-Display-Touch-Panel-PCB-adapter-/190477028273?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5950cbb1

Gnd is pin 1, and pin 2 is 5V. That plus the 4 SD pins is the minimum you need to get the SD card working.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    edited 2012-02-24 00:52
    SD cards require 3v3
    edited 2012-02-24 01:32
    SD cards require 3v3

Correct, but this board has an onboard 3V3 regulator. So you have to give it 5V.
    edited 2012-02-24 02:36
    I had not checked. The its the same as my pcbs with 3v3 regs on the pcb.
  • blittledblittled Posts: 681
    edited 2012-02-24 04:14
    I noticed the Gadget Gangster board that has the LCD shows two resistors for the backlight. One can be tied to P6 or the other to VDD but the resistors values are not shown in the schematic. What values are required? Thanks.
    edited 2012-02-24 05:56
    Can you post a schematic? I'm not sure about 2 resistors, I thought there was only 1. I'm using 220R for the backlight because that is a fairly generic value for running a led at reasonable brightness from 5V.

Also, just for posterity, this is the code to print text using the propeller's internal font. Useful for debugging an SD card as the SD card needs to work in order to display a font that is stored on the SD card. Now (slowly) you can at least print some debug messages without needing the SD card.
    PUB Propfont  ' use propeller font in the rom for bootup messages when debugging sd cards
        curx := 0                               ' set cursor to top left of screen (common variable)
        cury := 0
        Propfont_string(string("Loading SD"))   ' string to send
        Propfont_string(string("Loading Font"))

PUB Propfont_string(stringptr)                          'print at curx,cury
      repeat strsize(stringptr)
        ILI9325.draw(curx,cury,curx+15,cury+31)             ' location to start drawing    
        Propfont_out(byte[stringptr++])   
        curx +=16
      curx := 0
      cury += 32                                            ' new line at end of string

PUB Propfont_out(ascii) | address,pixels
        address := $8000 + (ascii >> 1) << 7                ' get rom address
        repeat 32                                           ' 32 rows per character, split in two parts
          pixels := long[address]                           ' get rom font data
          pixels := pixels >> (ascii & 1)                    ' shift for odd characters
          repeat 16 ' 16 columns
            if pixels & 1
              ILI9325.pixel(%00000111_11100000)             ' foreground color RRRRRGGG_GGGBBBBB
            else
              ILI9325.pixel(%00000000_00000000)             ' background color 
            pixels := pixels >> 2                           ' alternate pixels interleaved so shift 2
          address += 4                                      'increment address by 4 bytes

• blittledblittled Posts: 681
    edited 2012-02-24 06:22
    The link to the Gadget Gangster touchscreen board is http://gadgetgangster.com/scripts/displayasset.php?id=628

Edit: I just found the parts list and it looks like they use a 47 ohm resistor and you use only one. The resistor is tied to P6 or VDD depending on where you solder it. I'm making a DIY board with the platform using 16 bit input and having the Back light jumpered to either the Propeller or VDD
    edited 2012-02-24 08:01
    Hi All! The sd doesn't seem to work I gave it power and hooked it up properly and the sd is the right kind and formatted correctly, but still nothing. I'm using this code:
    CON
     _clkmode = xtal1 + pll16x
     _xinfreq = 5_000_000

DO = 0
     CLK = 1
     DI = 2
     CS = 3
    var

long mount
    OBJ
      sd : "fsrw"
      pst : "SimpleDebug"

PUB Main

pst.Start(115_200)
      pst.str(string(13,"sup",13))
      waitcnt(clkfreq*2 + cnt)

mount := \sd.mount_explicit(0, 1, 2, 3)
      if mount < 0
       pst.dec(mount)
       pst.str(string(13,"Failed to mount",13))
       abort
    pst.str(string(13,"Cool...Cool",13))
    sd.unmount

Mabye the code is part of the problem. All help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Tyler
    edited 2012-02-24 16:51
    Edit: I just found the parts list and it looks like they use a 47 ohm resistor and you use only one. The resistor is tied to P6 or VDD depending on where you solder it. I'm making a DIY board with the platform using 16 bit input and having the Back light jumpered to either the Propeller or VDD

Cool. It looks like one prop pin is being used to turn the backlight on and off. That would work but it does use a precious prop pin. I'd just tie it to 5V with the appropriate resistor.

@Tyler, I've not used fsrw but others may chime in. I presume you have 10k pullups on those pins?
    edited 2012-02-24 18:19
    notice the last 2 lines are not indented. Guessing, the code may just be running the last 2 lines ?

BTW you might like to add a few second delay after the pst.start call to give yourself time to get pst running on the pc.
    edited 2012-02-25 19:58
    Dr_Acula wrote: »
    Cool. It looks like one prop pin is being used to turn the backlight on and off. That would work but it does use a precious prop pin. I'd just tie it to 5V with the appropriate resistor.

@Tyler, I've not used fsrw but others may chime in. I presume you have 10k pullups on those pins?

Yes i am using 10k pullups. Thanks i'll try another sd object.
    edited 2012-02-26 00:19
    New spin code below.

Have added xmodem for file transfers. This adds a serial port and reuses the propeller download port for transferring data. Xmodem transfers from a terminal program (eg hyperterminal) are a little tedious opening and closing programs, but they work very well from an IDE, eg an IDE that compiles/dowloads/runs C programs.

We can do similar things for Spin as there are command line spin compilers. Design your icon in such a program, design your desktop layout, save this as an .ini file, then transfer the file with xmodem. Programs are compiled binary files sitting on an SD card. In Kyedos, such programs have an .exe extension, and to find out what programs are available you type "DIR *.EXE" and then look at the list eg MYPROG.EXE and then type "MYPROG" and it reboots the propeller chip and runs that program.

On a touchscreen it is a bit different - you would associate the file with an icon, define where the icon is on the screen, and then when you touch that part of the screen it reboots the propeller and runs that program.

xmodem transfer in action
    edited 2012-02-26 01:21
    Well done Drac :) Faster than my windoze laptop ;)
    edited 2012-02-26 05:07
    @Cluso, I'm still confused by that other thread discussion about intercog communications with registries. To my simple way of thinking, it all works fine with cogs, but half a typical object is also Spin, and you can't load the spin bit in and out independently. So unless your program is pure PASM (like Juergen's CP/M emulation), I can't see how a registry helps much.

What does work though is to have an operating system which can load other programs. Don't try to leave cogs running between programs - just load them in again. The time penalty is only minimal. And you can share common code by using common objects. So yes it is a little inefficient as you reboot and load up a cog with exactly the same code you had before, but the advantage is that there is no complexity with trying to understand the concept of registries. The .exe program is self contained. It also makes testing easier - test out the .exe program with F10 downloads and when it is ready, do an F8 and save to the SD card directly by typing the path and name into the save box on F8. Name as .exe

So you can write an .exe for a TV display, and one for VGA, and one for the ILI touchscreen. Each is self contained. Each probably has many objects in common (eg SD driver). But there are no #ifdefs needed. Ideally, try to make it such that changing one object, like a display object, is all you need to do (ie, use the common methods like .hex, .out, .decimal).

Just to demonstrate, I replaced the movie player code with this line of code. Touch the movie icon and this runs:
              42: result := \fat.bootpartition(string("MOVIE.EXE"))     ' reboot and run this program    (42 is the code for this icon's position)

and that reboots the propeller and runs movie.exe. Time to reboot and run is about 1 second. The screen need not blank during this time if you don't want it to. The program reboots the propeller at the end which returns to the main program.

The movie player program is fairly short as it does not need the touch part of the touchscreen, nor keyboard, nor serial port etc etc. It uses the same display object code as the main operating system.

The aim now is to automate the icon placement and program association.
    '' Movie player for the touchscreen
    '' James Moxham 2011

CON
      _clkmode      = xtal1 + pll16x                        ' use crystal x 16
      _xinfreq      = 5_000_000
      _SD_DO = 12
      _SD_CLK = 13
      _SD_DI = 14
      _SD_CS = 15
      _SD_WP = -1                                           ' -1 ifnot installed.
      _SD_CD = -1                                           ' -1 ifnot installed.
      _RTC_DAT = -1                                         ' -1 ifnot installed. For kye's sd driver
      _RTC_CLK = -1                                         ' -1 ifnot installed.

OBJ
     fat:           "SD3.01_FATEngine.spin"                 ' thanks to Kye
     ILI9325:       "ILI9325_Dracblade"                     ' J Moxham
    VAR
       word ScreenWidth             ' either 240 in portrait or 320 in landscape
       word ScreenHeight            ' 320 in portrait or 240 in landscape
       byte Orientation                ' true for portrait, false for landscape

PUB Main 
        ILI9325.start_ram                                   ' start the external ram driver in a cog
        ILI9325.start_ILI9325                              ' start the ILI9325 display
        SetOrientation(true)                                '  in portrait (true) or landscape mode (false)   
        ifnot( fat.FATEngineStart(_SD_DO, _SD_CLK, _SD_DI, _SD_CS, _SD_WP, _SD_CD, _RTC_DAT, _RTC_CLK, -1))   
          reboot
        fat.mountPartition(0)                               ' mount the sd card
        Movie
        reboot

PUB Movie                                              ' maybe need to speed up the draw routine as this is in spin
        clearscreen(0)
        fat.openfile(string("taz.ilm"),"R")             ' also can skip alt frames, and maybe make the sd buffer bigger
        repeat 338 ' number of frames
          ILI9325.draw(60,115,179,204)                           ' this can be sped up as this is in spin
          repeat 9                                         ' 120*90*2 / 480
            fat.readdata(@sdbuffer,2400)                     ' read data into hub
            ILI9325.docmd("D",@sdbuffer,0,2400)              ' send data out to the display (could possibly do some in parallel, though the ILI display may be faster than the sd card)
        fat.closefile
    PUB Clearscreen(color) 
        bytefill(@sdbuffer,color,512)
        ILI9325.draw(0,0,screenwidth,screenheight)                           ' set up the area of the screen to draw in   
        repeat 300
          ILI9325.docmd("D",@sdbuffer,0,512)                       ' move bytes from ram out to the display

PUB SetOrientation(e) ' change orientation true = portrait. Changes global variable 'orientation' and also screen width and height
       orientation := e
       ILI9325.ChangeOrientation(orientation)
       if orientation
         screenwidth :=239
         screenheight :=319
       else
         screenwidth :=319
         screenheight :=239
    DAT
    sdbuffer        byte    $0[2400]  '2400 byte buffer for sd card interface

edited 2012-02-29 22:37
    Very beginnings of the new board design - see photo. Propeller, 2 ram chips, 4 latches and 3 HC245 buffers.

Optimised for transferring data from ram to the display, for fast updates of fonts etc. The Spin version is at least 4x faster than previous versions and in Spin the code to move one pixel comes down to just 4 lines of code.
       repeat nwords
         OUTA := address                                    ' address is not latched - this is where the speed is
         OUTA &= %11111111_10111111_11111111_11111111       ' ILI write low
         OUTA |= %00000000_01000000_00000000_00000000       ' ILI write high
         address++                                          ' increment address

Things like moving from the propeller to the ram are a little slower, but fonts only need to be loaded into ram once. Board is not fully populated - has room for a real time clock and some digital and analog I/O and stereo sound and a keyboard. The SD socket is not going to be needed as while this board was being made, other clever people on the forum got the display's SD card working by removing three resistors on the back of the display.

Once this is ported over to pasm it should really fly!

The board has two 512k ram chips in parallel so it works with words rather than bytes.

Got to go to work - I'll post a schematic shortly. Code is below
    '' ILI9325 driver using the Touchblade2 design for faster ram to display transfers
    '' James Moxham 2011

CON

_clkmode      = xtal1 + pll16x                        ' use crystal x 16
      _xinfreq      = 5_000_000

_1ms    = 1_000_000 /     1_000                         ' Divisor for 1 ms   

OBJ

VAR
       long IC9Status
       long orientation
       long curx, cury
       long clkcycles     ' for the delay routine

PUB Main |a,b
      curx :=0
      cury :=0
      DIRA := %00000000_11111111_11111111_11111111 ' enable these pins for output
      OUTA := %00000000_11111111_00000000_00000000 ' sets ILI write high and ILIBus is disconnected
      Mem_Rd_High                   ' so no data clashes
      ILI_Bus_Dir_Low               ' direction = prop to display
      ILI_Bus_Connect               ' connect the bus so can talk to the display
      Start_ILI9325
      'Draw(0,0,239,319)  ' clear the screen
      'repeat 76800
      ' Pixel($0000)

' Hex(100,4) ' test printing a hex digit
       Propfont

bytefill(@sdbuffer,$FF,512)
      PropToRam(20000,256)
      'RamToProp(0,2)      ' read the data back from ram to the sdbuffer array
      'hex(sdbuffer[0],2)      ' should read E5
      a :=0  ' pixel
      b :=0   ' ram address counter
      repeat 76800 ' fills with all colors
       sdbuffer[0] := a & $FF
       sdbuffer[1] := a >> 8
       PropToRam(b,1)
       b++
       a++

' need to put some pixels in ram at various places
      Draw(0,0,239,319)
      RamToDisplay(0,76800) ' start at address send n words
      'PropFont
      'bytefill(@sdbuffer,0,512)
      'b :=0
      'repeat 5
      ' RamToProp(b,1)                    ' not reading back the correct values
      ' hex(sdbuffer[0],2)
      ' hex(sdbuffer[1],2)
      ' b++

Propfont_string(string("Finished"))
      repeat              ' repeat forever

PUB Propfont  ' use propeller font in the rom for bootup messages when debugging sd cards
        Propfont_string(string("Wait 20s")) ' string to send

PUB Propfont_string(stringptr)                          'print at curx,cury
      repeat strsize(stringptr)
        Propfont_out(byte[stringptr++])
      crlf

PUB crlf
        curx := 0
        cury += 32                                          ' new line at end of string
        if cury >319                                       ' bottom of screen so new screen
          curx:=0
          cury:=0

PUB Propfont_out(ascii) | address,pixels
        Draw(curx,cury,curx+15,cury+31)                 ' location to start drawing 
        address := $8000 + (ascii >> 1) << 7                ' get rom address
        repeat 32                                           ' 32 rows per character, split in two parts
          pixels := long[address]                           ' get rom font data
          pixels := pixels >> (ascii & 1)                    ' shift for odd characters
          repeat 16 ' 16 columns
            if pixels & 1
              Pixel(%00000111_11100000)                     ' foreground color RRRRRGGG_GGGBBBBB
            else
              Pixel(%00000000_00000000)                     ' background color 
            pixels := pixels >> 2                           ' alternate pixels interleaved so shift 2
          address += 4 
        curx +=16
        if curx >239                                        ' new line
          crlf

PUB Start_ILI9325 ' pass orientation true = portrait, false = landscape
        ILI_Reset_High
        pause1ms(5)
        ILI_Reset_Low
        pause1ms(5)
        ILI_Reset_High
        ILI_CS_High
        ILI_RD_High
        ILI_WR_High
        pause1ms(5)
        ILI_CS_Low
              ' ************* Start Initial Sequence **********
        ILIcmd($00E5,$78F0)                          ' set SRAM internal timing
        ILIcmd($0001,$0100)                        ' set SS and SM bit 0001 0100   portrait
        ILIcmd($0002,$0700)                          ' set 1 line inversion 
        ILIcmd($0003,$1030)                        ' set GRAM write direction and BGR=1. $0003 $1030
        ILIcmd($0004,$0000)                          ' Resize register 
        ILIcmd($0008,$0207)                          ' set the back porch and front porch 
        ILIcmd($0009,$0000)                          ' set non-display area refresh cycle ISC[3:0]  
        ILIcmd($000A,$0000)                          ' FMARK function  
        ILIcmd($000C,$0000)                          ' RGB interface setting   
        ILIcmd($000D,$0000)                          ' Frame marker Position   
        ILIcmd($000F,$0000)                          ' RGB interface polarity  
    '        *************Power On sequence ****************//
        ILIcmd($0010,$0000)                         ' SAP, BT[3:0], AP, DSTB, SLP, STB 
        ILIcmd($0011,$0007)                         ' DC1[2:0], DC0[2:0], VC[2:0] 
        ILIcmd($0012,$0000)                         ' VREG1OUT voltage   
        ILIcmd($0013,$0000)                         ' VDV[4:0] for VCOM amplitude  
        ILIcmd($0007,$0001)   
        pause1ms(50)                                        ' Dis-charge capacitor power voltage
        ILIcmd($0010,$1090)                         ' 1490//SAP, BT[3:0], AP, DSTB, SLP, STB   
        ILIcmd($0011,$0227)                         ' DC1[2:0], DC0[2:0], VC[2:0] 
        pause1ms(50)                                        ' delay
        ILIcmd($0012,$001F)                         ' 001C// Internal reference voltage= Vci;
        ILIcmd($0013,$1500)                         ' $1000//1400   Set VDV[4:0] for VCOM amplitude  1A00  
        ILIcmd($0029,$0027)                         ' $0012 //001a  Set VCM[5:0] for VCOMH  //$0025  0034  
        ILIcmd($002B,$000D)                         ' Set Frame Rate   000C       
        ILIcmd($0020,$0000)                         ' GRAM horizontal Address   
        ILIcmd($0021,$0000)                         ' GRAM Vertical Address    
    '         ----------- Adjust the Gamma Curve ----------//
        ILIcmd($0030,$0000) 
        ILIcmd($0031,$0707)  
        ILIcmd($0032,$0307)  
        ILIcmd($0035,$0200)  
        ILIcmd($0036,$0008)  
        ILIcmd($0037,$0004)  
        ILIcmd($0038,$0000)  
        ILIcmd($0039,$0707)  
        ILIcmd($003C,$0002)  
        ILIcmd($003D,$1D04)  
    '        ------------------ Set GRAM area ---------------//
        ILIcmd($0050,$0000)  ' Horizontal GRAM Start Address
        ILIcmd($0051,$00EF)  ' Horizontal GRAM End Address       
        ILIcmd($0052,$0000) ' Vertical GRAM Start Address    
        ILIcmd($0053,$013F) ' Vertical GRAM Start Address       
        ILIcmd($0060,$A700) ' Gate Scan Line     
        ILIcmd($0061,$0001) ' NDL,VLE, REV    
        ILIcmd($006A,$0000) ' set scrolling line      
    '        -------------- Partial Display Control ---------/
        ILIcmd($0080,$0000)
        ILIcmd($0081,$0000)
        ILIcmd($0082,$0000)
        ILIcmd($0083,$0000)
        ILIcmd($0084,$0000)
        ILIcmd($0085,$0000)
    '        //-------------- Panel Control -------------------//
        ILIcmd($0090,$0010)
        ILIcmd($0092,$0600)
        ILIcmd($0007,$0133)  ' 262K color and display ON
        ChangeOrientation(true)     ' default to portrait

PUB ChangeOrientation(n) ' pass true = portrait or false = landscape, changes global variable orientation in this object
        orientation := n
        if orientation
          ILIcmd($0001,$0100)                        ' set SS and SM bit 0001 0100   portrait
          ILIcmd($0003,$1030)                        ' set GRAM write direction and BGR=1. $0003 $1030  
        else
          ILIcmd($0001,$0000)                        ' set SS and SM bit 0001 0000   landscape   
          ILIcmd($0003,$1038)                        ' landscape  $1028 = original but 1038 is correct - not mirror image

PUB Draw(x1, y1, x2, y2)       ' sets the pixel to x1,y1 and then fills the next (x2-x1)*(y2-y1) pixels
        ifnot orientation                                   ' landscape mode so swap x and y
          result :=x1                        ' swap x1 and y1
          x1 := y1
          y1 := result
          result := x2                       ' swap x2 and y2
          x2 :=y2
          y2 := result
        ILIcmd($0050,x1)
        ILIcmd($0052,y1)
        ILIcmd($0051,x2)
        ILIcmd($0053,y2)
        ILIcmd($0020,x1) 
        ILIcmd($0021,y1)
        Lcd_Write_Com($0022)

PUB Pixel(pixelcolor)               ' send out a pixel, high byte then low byte
        Lcd_Write_Data(pixelcolor)

PUB pause1ms(period)

'' Pause execution for period (in units of 1 ms).

clkcycles := ((clkfreq / _1ms * period) - 4296) #> 381     ' Calculate 1 ms time unit
      waitcnt(clkcycles + cnt)                                   ' Wait for designated time

PUB hex(value, digits)
    '' Print a hexadecimal number
      propfont_out("O")
      propfont_out("x")
      value <<= (8 - digits) << 2
      repeat digits
        propfont_out(lookupz((value <-= 4) & $F : "0".."9", "A".."F"))
      crlf

PRI ILIcmd(c,d)  ' instruction in one method
        Lcd_Write_Com(c) ' send out a word
        Lcd_Write_Data(d)

PRI Lcd_Write_Com(ILIlong)
        ILI_RS_low
        LCD_Writ_Bus(ILIlong)

PRI Lcd_Write_Data(ILIlong)
        ILI_RS_High
        LCD_Writ_Bus(ILIlong)    

PRI LCD_Writ_Bus(ILILong)
        'ILILong &= %00000000_00000000_11111111_11111111    ' mask to a word. Not needed if care taken always to send a word value
        OUTA &= %11111111_11111111_00000000_00000000        ' set P0-P15 to zero ready to OR
        OUTA |= ILILong                                     ' merge with the word to output
        ILI_WR_Low                                          ' send out the data
        ILI_WR_High

PRI IC9Latch ' uses IC9status common variable (only use one byte of this)
       DIRA:=%00000000_11111111_11111111_11111111 ' enable these pins for output    
       IC9status &= %00000000_00000000_00000000_11111111 ' mask off byte
       OUTA &= %11111111_11111111_11111111_00000000         ' mask P0-P7 low
       OUTA |= IC9status                                    ' combine with the data byte
       OUTA &= %11111111_11010111_11111111_11111111         ' set latch to Y2 = 010 
       OUTA |= %00000000_00111000_00000000_00000000       ' 138 to output Y7 which is deselected

PRI ILI_RS_Low
       IC9status &= %11111111_11111111_11111111_11111110 ' ILI RS pin low
       IC9Latch

PRI ILI_RS_High   
       IC9status |= %00000000_00000000_00000000_00000001 ' ILI RS pin high
       IC9Latch 

PRI ILI_RD_Low
       IC9status &= %11111111_11111111_11111111_11111101 ' ILI RD pin low
       IC9Latch

PRI ILI_RD_High   
       IC9status |= %00000000_00000000_00000000_00000010 ' ILI RD pin high
       IC9Latch

PRI ILI_WR_Low
       OUTA &= %11111111_10111111_11111111_11111111         ' ILI write low

PRI ILI_WR_High
       OUTA |= %00000000_01000000_00000000_00000000         ' ILI write high   

PRI ILI_CS_Low
       IC9status &= %11111111_11111111_11111111_11111011 ' ILI CS pin low
       IC9Latch

PRI ILI_CS_High   
       IC9status |= %00000000_00000000_00000000_00000100 ' ILI CS pin high
       IC9Latch

PRI ILI_RESET_Low
       IC9status &= %11111111_11111111_11111111_11110111 ' ILI RESET pin low
       IC9Latch

PRI ILI_RESET_High   
       IC9status |= %00000000_00000000_00000000_00001000 ' ILI RESET pin high
       IC9Latch

PRI ILI_Bus_Dir_Low
       IC9status &= %11111111_11111111_11111111_11101111 ' data from propeller to ILI bus
       IC9Latch

PRI ILI_Bus_Dir_High 
       IC9status |= %00000000_00000000_00000000_00010000 ' data from ILI bus to propeller
       IC9Latch

PRI ILI_Bus_Connect
       OUTA &= %11111111_01111111_11111111_11111111 ' P23 low connect the ILI bus to the propeller

PRI ILI_Bus_Disconnect
       OUTA |= %00000000_10000000_00000000_00000000 ' set P23 high

PRI Mem_Rd_Low
       IC9status &= %11111111_11111111_11111111_11011111 ' mem read low
       IC9Latch

PRI Mem_Rd_High 
       IC9status |= %00000000_00000000_00000000_00100000 ' mem read high
       IC9Latch

PRI PropToRam(address,nwords)|c,d                       ' data is at sdbuffer, length up to 256 words (ie 512 byte full buffer, pass 256)
       c :=0
       d := 0
       ILI_Bus_Dir_Low                                      ' for writing to ram B to A on the 245
       'ILI_Bus_Connect                                     ' no need as bit 23 in address is set low in the next line
       Address &= %00000000_00000111_11111111_11111111      ' mask off A0=A18
       Address |= %00000000_01001000_00000000_00000000      ' 138 Y1 = 00xxx00000000  and nn000000 = ILI write and 245 bus isolate
       repeat nwords
         OUTA := address                                    ' send out
         OUTA |= %00000000_00111000_00000000_00000000       ' latch in the address
         d := sdbuffer[c] | sdbuffer[c+1] << 8 ' build the data word LSB first
         d |= %00000000_01000000_00000000_00000000          ' or in Y0 for write and P22 and P23
         OUTA := d                                          ' put the word on the propeller pins P0-P15 and write
         OUTA |= %00000000_01111000_00000000_00000000       ' Y7 default write high
         c +=2                                              ' increment counter
         address +=1                                        ' address only goes up by 1 as writing out words at a time
                                                            ' 

PRI RamToProp(address,nwords) |c,d                      ' move data from ram to sdbuffer array
       c :=0
       d := 0
       ' data is coming out of the ram chips so need to toggle the 245 buffer.
       ILI_Bus_Disconnect                                   ' disconnect the buffer first P23 high
       ILI_Bus_Dir_High                                     ' data from the ram to the propeller
       Mem_Rd_low                                           ' for reading data
       Address &= %00000000_00000111_11111111_11111111      ' mask off A0=A18          
       Address |= %00000000_11001000_00000000_00000000      ' 138 Y1 = 10xxx000 and nn000000 = ILI write and 245 bus isolate         
       repeat nwords
         DIRA := %00000000_11111111_11111111_11111111       ' enable these pins for output
         OUTA := Address                                    ' put on the propeller pins
         OUTA |= %00000000_00111000_00000000_00000000       ' latch in the address
         DIRA := %00000000_11111111_00000000_00000000       ' P0-P15 are now inputs
         ILI_Bus_Connect                                    ' connect the bus P23 low, read the data
         d := INA & %00000000_00000000_11111111_11111111 ' read data from ram and mask as a word
         ILI_Bus_Disconnect                                 ' disconnect the P23 high bus
         sdbuffer[c] := d & $FF                             ' mask LSB
         sdbuffer[c+1] := d >> 8                            ' mask MSB
         c +=2
         address +=1
       'finish up
       DIRA := %00000000_11111111_11111111_11111111         ' enable these pins for output
       Mem_Rd_High                                          ' memory read high
       ILI_Bus_Dir_Low                                      ' restore the default direction to the display
       ILI_Bus_Connect                                      ' restore the connection

PRI RamToDisplay(address,nwords)                        ' send nwords to the display from ram address
       ILI_Bus_Disconnect                                   ' P23 high so isolated from the propeller. Dir does not matter
       Mem_Rd_Low                                           ' low for this entire routine as reading
       ILI_RS_High                                          ' see pixel routine
       Address &= %00000000_00000111_11111111_11111111     ' mask off A0=A18          
       Address |= %00000000_11001000_00000000_00000000      ' 138 Y1 = 10xxx000 and nn000000 = ILI write and 245 bus isolate       
       repeat nwords
         OUTA := address                                    ' address is not latched - this is where the speed is
         OUTA &= %11111111_10111111_11111111_11111111       ' ILI write low
         OUTA |= %00000000_01000000_00000000_00000000       ' ILI write high
         address++                                          ' increment address
        ' finish up
       Mem_Rd_High                                          ' memory read high
       ILI_Bus_Dir_Low                                      ' restore the default direction to the display
       ILI_Bus_Connect                                      ' restore the connection

DAT
    sdbuffer        byte    $0[512]  ' 512 byte buffer for sd card interface

1024 x 768 - 107K
  • User NameUser Name Posts: 1,451
    edited 2012-03-01 08:10
    Dr_Acula wrote: »
    Qui intelligit latina usquam? :)
    Multa ferunt anni venientes commoda secum, multa recedentes adimiunt.
    edited 2012-03-01 14:11
    Ha ha, you make me feel old! :)
  • average joeaverage joe Posts: 795
    edited 2012-03-01 15:48
    Awesome work! You're getting me excited to start working on my project again.
    edited 2012-03-04 05:04
    The fast refresh works!

[video=youtube_share;cu8HJPWWDDw]

Blink and you will miss it. The Text is still in Spin - it is the redraw of the screen that is fast. I timed a loop 100x and it is 3seconds so that is 30milliseconds to refresh the screen. A bit faster than the 9 seconds in Spin! This circuit has been optimised for speed sending data from the ram directly to the display. The final pasm loop per pixel comes down to this:
    Moveblock_loop          mov     outa,ramaddr              ' send out the address value
                            andn    outa,pin22               ' set pin 22 low
                            or      outa,pin22              ' set pin 22 high
                            add     ramaddr,#1              ' increment ram address
                            djnz    len,#moveblock_loop

Now to go back and work on optimising other things. At the moment SD transfers are too slow as it is sending data to ram in pieces. So need to have the SD card on some dedicated propeller pins.

So in general terms, need fast transfer from SD to ram, and fast transfer from ram to the display.

At the moment I have two boards and they are each optimised to do one of these. Need to combine these into one board now.
    edited 2012-03-04 05:40
    Scroll test. Dump out the entire memory (filled with random data and some black lines) and scroll up 10 lines each screen. Refresh is 30x a second so this should make for a very responsive text scroll when moving a finger on the touchscreen. Plus animated GIFs will be very smooth.

[video=youtube_share;WDnrjIzFUnI]
    edited 2012-03-04 12:04
    Nice work! It looks like you have made some significant speed increases. I'm still spinning my wheels trying to get the sd card working.
    edited 2012-03-07 00:32
    @average joe - have you got the SD card working yet?

Also re your PM, attached is the eagle library file for the 512k ram chip. I have some other parts as well if you want them.
    edited 2012-03-07 13:29
    Thanks! I really appreciate that eagle file. If I can think of any more parts, I will let you know.
    I have not been able to get the sd card working. I have tried everything I can think of. Pullup resistors, bypass caps. I'm beginning to believe the 3 cards I have are incompatible?
    edited 2012-03-09 07:29
    @DR. A
    I FINALLY got the sd card working. After the frustration of wiring the breakout board, then adding bypass caps AND RESISTORS.... to realize that the card is incorrectly formatted. SO, FSRW is working on both the breakout and the screen. I haven't done much other than run the speed test a few times. I've been busy with other things, *more about that in a moment.*
    RE. the ram chip.
    I missed my chance to buy a couple of those chips. Yesterday my wife got her package from Parallax, containing the 1 continuous rotation servo I THOUGH we'd need *along with a refresher kit and new wheeeles!* to revive my old 02 era boe bot. To my dismay, when I FINALLY tested the old servo for the first time in a few years it was dead. SO... after ordering another servo *like I should have done in the first place,* my wife has told me no more ordering parts... I have several OLD 150 - 180 ns sram's, 2 - 8k x8 : 9 - 2k x8. I did score a 62256 ( 32k x8). My old srams seem like more work than they'd be worth. I need to find another 32k, if those would even work.
    1024 x 612 - 90K
    1024 x 660 - 110K
  • idbruceidbruce Posts: 6,197
    edited 2012-03-09 07:39
    my wife has told me no more ordering parts

For single guys that are contemplating marriage, please take heed of this young mans demise. Be sure to include a clause within your prenuptial agreement that allows you to order parts for your electronic projects, irregardless of any financial crisis or disapproval from your future spouse :)

Bruce