Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
C64 Datasette emulator with the Propeller - Page 4 — Parallax Forums

C64 Datasette emulator with the Propeller

Comments

• Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2009-03-10 15:06
    @Bamse:

You need to toss in a small motor somewhere and spin the counter when it's playing. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Check out: Protoboard Introduction , Propeller Cookbook 1.4 & Software Index
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS
  • BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2009-03-10 15:15
    Oldbitcollector said...
    @Bamse:
    You need to toss in a small motor somewhere and spin the counter when it's playing. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

It's just not authentic unless those numbers are crawling over! And make 'em re-wind to "0" when you swap to the next "tape"!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cardinal Fang! Fetch the comfy chair.
  • BamseBamse Posts: 561
    edited 2009-03-10 15:30
    If I can find a 6V motor small enough, I would do it...
    It's pretty crammed in there as is... wink.gif

I'm glad I saved a pin (22) for saving to casette since Ahle2 is working on it...
    Ahle2 wants a video overlay (GenLock) solution so you can see what is going on on top of the C=64 screen.
    Sounds like an excellent idean and I'm going to help him out with this...
    I think Bean already made something like it so I'm going to search the forum later today...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Living on the planet Earth might be expensive but it includes a free trip around the sun every year...

Experience level:
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] Let's connect the motor to pin 1, it's a 6V motor so it should be fine.
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] OK, I got my resistors hooked up with the LEDs.
    [noparse][[/noparse]X] I got the Motor hooked up with the H-bridge and the 555 is supplying the PWM.
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] Now, if I can only program the BOE-BOT to interface with he Flux Capacitor.
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] I dream in SX28 assembler...

/Bamse
    edited 2009-03-10 15:32
    Now wait a min, resetting the counter isn't authentic. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

@Bamse:
    Any chance we can get you to bring this setup to UPEW or UPENE?
    (Of course this means you would have to attend. <SMIRK>)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

edited 2009-03-10 15:45
    It's very likely that I'm attending UPEW, I need to go to either Los Angeles or New York this year and LA is the first choice...
    As soon as I know I'll register...

I'm also very interested in Ahle2s Amiga floppy emulator so we might have one of those too...
    I already have the perfect case for it... wink.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Living on the planet Earth might be expensive but it includes a free trip around the sun every year...

Experience level:
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] Let's connect the motor to pin 1, it's a 6V motor so it should be fine.
    [noparse][[/noparse]X] I got the Motor hooked up with the H-bridge and the 555 is supplying the PWM.
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] Now, if I can only program the BOE-BOT to interface with he Flux Capacitor.

/Bamse
    3472 x 2604 - 2M
    edited 2009-03-10 15:49
    Bring on the Amiga emulator!

I've got an Amiga (1000 I think) that I've never fired up due to lack of drives/software.

Awesome!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

edited 2009-03-11 02:43
    Got the SD card mounted on the side so I don't have to open the unit to access it...
    It's actually not sticking out at all when fully inserted...
    The Commodore font was added to the KS0108 LCD driver, pretty cool, hope you can see it in the picture...

Time to take a break and watch some Stargate SG-1... wink.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse
  • Ahle2Ahle2 Posts: 1,178
    edited 2009-03-14 15:38
    Okey guys, a promise is a promise smilewinkgrin.gif

I said that i would upload my multi-file C64 tape loader as soon as i've got home.
    I'm home and here it is !

I've just realized that there's something wrong with the kernel loader ( it worked perfect before?? ), and i don't have the time to fix it this weekend blush.gif
    But the TAP loader and file selector works great.

To Bamse:
    It should be NO problem at all to "port it" to your hardware. The only changes you have to do is to the PRI functions at the bottom ( wrapper functions )

To OldbitCollector:
    Connect a keyboard and reconfigure all the constants at top of the file to suit your needs and it should work right away.
    You could also connect a transistor to the casette sense the way Bamse did.

While file browsing:
    Up, Down - Browsing
    Right - Next page (Can't go back at the moment)
    Enter - Select
    ESC - Abort

While transfer:
    F1 - Play
    F2 - Rewind
    F3 - Forward
    F4 - Stop
    ESC - Abort

Post Edited (Ahle2) : 3/14/2009 4:34:20 PM GMT
    edited 2009-03-14 17:03
    NOTES!

The transfer rate when sending TAP-files is in reality about 10 times lower, because one C64 byte = 8 bits + 1 checksum bit, encodeded as bytes.

The motor sense is now monitored continuously.

I don't know of any games that doesn't load correctly after my bug fix to the Pause/Long pulse subroutine.
    edited 2009-03-14 17:56
    Nice!

It's time to dedicate a Protoboard to this and get it off my PPDB. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

I'm thinking I'm going to use a cassette case like Bamse did, but I think I'm going to go
    the route of putting in video & SD out. This should allow me the room to keep
    the counter. If I can find the right motor I'm going to make it spin.

(Could always put a cut-down prop in the cassette area, then run the motor off the
    5v with a transistor. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

edited 2009-03-15 00:38
    Thanks Ahl2...

I just downloaded the code and I'm going to have a look at it...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse
    edited 2009-04-06 02:12
    Time to get cranking on this project again...

Just want to show off my new Commodore 64 Power Supply...
    I got a 9V AC transformer (1 amp fuse) and then tapping 5V from a PC PSU.
    The gray DIN plug and white phone cable add to the ugliness...
    Works great so I really don't care...
    Hope someone can get a laugh at it...

Just tested Spy Hunter and Parallax and they loaded without problems...
    Time to get started on the Kernel loader to load .PRG files...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse
    edited 2009-04-06 12:32
    To Bamse !

Your modified code has a much better overall structure ( more object oriented ).
    My code was a quick hack and not so well thought out blush.gif

The sad part is that i can't find any spare time to continue coding on this (for a while).
    But i am sure that you are more than capable of continuing this on your own (for a while).
    I have to finish a more "serious" project that i'm involved in ( a marine motor monitoring system ), the deadline is SOON.

I have TOO many (five) different projects going on at the same time...... a game, a PC engine emulator, an AIS deocoder/visualizer, a marine project and the datasette emulator. shakehead.gif

BTW, did anyone(OBC) test my version on the TV ?
    edited 2009-04-06 14:08
    "Your modified code has a much better overall structure"
    More specifically, the modification you did to the loader object.

The main code however, seems to lack some nice functionality like, file filter, approximate time left, transfer rate, rewind etc....

Here is a list of methods i suggest that we should add to the loader

getApproximateTimeLeft() (in seconds)
    getLoadingTime()
    getLoadedBytes()
    getTransferRate()
    abort()
    stop() ( not the same as abort like you did )
    play()
    rewind()
    startRecord( filename )

Everything above is easy to implement, just copy/past from my sendfile function ( well, not record() :P )

The idea is to keep ALL functionality in the loader object itself and not in the main code.
    edited 2009-04-06 14:12
    Ahle2 said...
    :

BTW, did anyone(OBC) test my version on the TV ?

I'm about halfway into an LCD version of my own based on your last release.
    Like you, I've got several irons in the fire, so I haven't finished the board yet. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Visit the: The Propeller Pages @ Warranty Void.
    edited 2009-04-07 01:31
    Currently I want to get the PRG loader to work and then implement the functions you mentioned.
    The LCD is too small to display all that information though, right now all I have is a progress bar.

I did get the LM1881 you suggested and I'll have a look at genlock once the Datasette is done.
    I'm not sure I'll make another C=64 loader but the genlock part is very interesting... wink.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse
    edited 2009-04-07 18:26
    Nice Bamse !

I have actually got the PRG loader working, but somehow i screwed it up before the release confused.gif
    I will have a look on my harddrive to see if i have a working earlier version laying around.
    But your PRG loader is a little bit different from mine, so if you want to keep your version, it will do no good.

I will, however, not dive into the code for a while.
    edited 2009-04-17 02:55
    Not much progress, but at least I'm getting back to the project...
    The only progress is that the PRG loader actually starts and displays the correct name.

I have also attached the Datasette Menu maker.
    This requires two directories, the In directory is where you put your TAP or PRG files.
    The program lists your files, so move them around and rename them to something that make sense.
    Then press the Create Menu button to create the menu and copy the files with a three letter number and three letter extension.
    Copy the content of the out directory to the root of the memory card to make a nice menu for the Datasette... wink.gif

P.S. The attachment manager wont let me post .zip or .jar files so you need to rename them to the correct extension.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse
    edited 2009-04-18 06:49
    Finally a turbo tape version...

Note that this version is a little bit "tweaked" and will only load the attached prg.
    But it's a small step in the right direction.

Now if I can only get this to work properly and plug it into the Datasette main code... wink.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse
    edited 2009-04-18 13:13
    @Bamse
    Nice to see some action going on here.
    I'm still struggling with my marine motor monitoring system and will not have the time to assist you for a while. [noparse]:([/noparse]

What do you mean by a Turbo Tape version, have you implemented native support for Turbo 250 or what ?

Any progress in the overlay project then ?

@Oldbitcollector
    You have been quiet for a while (like me), what's the latest ?
    edited 2009-04-18 14:54
    It's the Trilogic v3.2 turbo loader.

The coolest thing is that it's embedded in the header so you load the actual loader when you send the header.
    Once you hit space bar after the "Found Turbo Tape Test" message you actually have the loader in memory.
    Then only two bytes ($51 and $03) are sent as the "main" program at address $029F.
    This is a vector that kicks off the turbo loader in the header @ $0351.
    $033C to $03FB is the Datasette buffer where the header is stored and the loader is located 16 bytes into the buffer ($0351) after the file name.
    Klart som korvspad med andra ord... wink.gif

I hope to get this to work fully today so I can send any PRG file.
    Once this is done, I'm pretty sure we have a speed comparable to the 1541 disk drive.

The video overlay is on hold until I'm finished with the Datasette...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse
    edited 2009-04-18 15:37
    @Ahle2:

After entertaining company for a few days, I did some experimentation
    with germ warfare. (nasty flu-bug.) I'm starting to feel better. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    I expect to be working on your video soon..

@Bamse

Do I understand correctly that you are transmitting the Turbo Loader
    ahead of the file itself? I have an idea for you. How about transmitting
    a directory of files with have .TAP and .PRG extensions from the SD?

Heck, you could do it exactly like the 1541 does...
    LOAD"$" would load a list of detected files which match the extensions.
    (Just drop a : between the last " and the extension to make it handy.)
    This should eliminate the need for an LCD or screen for that matter.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Visit the: The Propeller Pages @ Warranty Void.
    edited 2009-04-18 17:13
    Yes, the turbo loader is loaded automatically.

It would be nice to make a 1541 emulator one day, but the Datasette will be for .PRG and .TAP files only.
    Maybe someone else would take on the 1541 emulation challenge... wink.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse
    edited 2009-04-18 18:07
    Pretty amazing...

The Turbo loader loaded 30K in 1:30 (one minute and 30 seconds), is this faster than the actual 1541 ???
    I don't remember the speed of the 1541 drive, but this is pretty fast... wink.gif
    Anyone care to give this a try ?
    If you need to change the Datasette pins, change this piece of code.

SendPin                 long    1 << 19
    motorPin                long    1 << 20
    pressPlayPin            long    1 << 21

Looks like there is a chance of the PRG loader being incorporated in the main Datasette code already today...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse
    edited 2009-04-18 19:46
    I made an attemp to code my own turbo loader exactly the way as the Trilogic loader works (using the header)
    Do i have to say that i ran in to some serious trouble ?
    I scrapped the whole thing and went on coding on my other projects cry.gif

Maybe it's smarter to just use the Trilogic loader as an base, and then modify it to make use of the much higher bandwidth that is possible with the propeller ?
    Anyway, i made some calclulation( based on assumptions ), and came to the conclusion that speeds up to 30kb/sec may be possible with some optimized 6502 code.

edited 2009-04-18 19:46
    A game loading in 2 seconds, wouldn't that be nice !
    edited 2009-04-18 22:03
    I obviously didn't write the Trilogic loader, but if you can tweak it to do 30KB/s that would be pretty awesome...

The "pulse length" is $1C for 0 and $35 for 1, if it could be tweaked to half of that, I would be more than happy... wink.gif
    If you look at the Header, the loader code is embedded and I have pointed out the start of it.
    Plug that into a 6510 disassembler and you can have a look at the code.

Header_Start            byte  $89                            ' 001
                            byte  $88                            ' 002
                            byte  $87                            ' 003
                            byte  $86                            ' 004
                            byte  $85                            ' 005
                            byte  $84                            ' 006
                            byte  $83                            ' 007
                            byte  $82                            ' 008
                            byte  $81                            ' 009
    Prg_Type                byte  $03                            ' 010
    Start_Add_Low           byte  $9F                            ' 011
    Start_Add_High          byte  $02                            ' 012
    End_Add_Low             byte  $A1                            ' 013
    End_Add_High            byte  $02                            ' 014
    Prg_Name                byte  $05                            ' 015
                            byte  $08                            ' 016
                            byte  $3E                            ' 017
                            byte  $4C                            ' 018
                            byte  $49                            ' 019
                            byte  $42                            ' 020
                            byte  $54                            ' 021
                            byte  $41                            ' 022
                            byte  $50                            ' 023
                            byte  $20                            ' 024
                            byte  $44                            ' 025
                            byte  $45                            ' 026
                            byte  $4D                            ' 027
                            byte  $4F                            ' 028
                            byte  $3C                            ' 029
                            byte  $9A                            ' 030
                            byte  $78                            ' 031 <== Trilogic code starts here, $0351 in memory.
                            byte  $A9                            ' 032
                            byte  $1D                            ' 033
                            byte  $85                            ' 034
                            byte  $01                            ' 035
                            byte  $85                            ' 036
                            byte  $C0                            ' 037
                            byte  $A2                            ' 038
                            byte  $41                            ' 039
                            byte  $8E                            ' 040
                            byte  $04                            ' 041
                            byte  $DD                            ' 042
                            byte  $A0                            ' 043
                            byte  $01                            ' 044
                            byte  $8C                            ' 045
                            byte  $05                            ' 046
                            byte  $DD                            ' 047
                            byte  $09                            ' 048
                            byte  $80                            ' 049
                            byte  $20                            ' 050
                            byte  $DA                            ' 051
                            byte  $03                            ' 052
                            byte  $C9                            ' 053
                            byte  $0F                            ' 054
                            byte  $D0                            ' 055
                            byte  $F7                            ' 056
                            byte  $20                            ' 057
                            byte  $D8                            ' 058
                            byte  $03                            ' 059
                            byte  $C9                            ' 060
                            byte  $0F                            ' 061
                            byte  $F0                            ' 062
                            byte  $F9                            ' 063
                            byte  $A2                            ' 064
                            byte  $0E                            ' 065
                            byte  $D0                            ' 066
                            byte  $03                            ' 067
                            byte  $20                            ' 068
                            byte  $D8                            ' 069
                            byte  $03                            ' 070
                            byte  $86                            ' 071
                            byte  $FB                            ' 072
                            byte  $C5                            ' 073
                            byte  $FB                            ' 074
                            byte  $D0                            ' 075
                            byte  $E3                            ' 076
                            byte  $CA                            ' 077
                            byte  $10                            ' 078
                            byte  $F4                            ' 079
                            byte  $8D                            ' 080
                            byte  $A0                            ' 081
                            byte  $02                            ' 082
                            byte  $85                            ' 083
                            byte  $90                            ' 084
                            byte  $A8                            ' 085
                            byte  $EE                            ' 086
                            byte  $20                            ' 087
                            byte  $D0                            ' 088
                            byte  $E8                            ' 089
                            byte  $20                            ' 090
                            byte  $D8                            ' 091
                            byte  $03                            ' 092
                            byte  $95                            ' 093
                            byte  $AC                            ' 094
                            byte  $E0                            ' 095
                            byte  $03                            ' 096
                            byte  $90                            ' 097
                            byte  $F6                            ' 098
                            byte  $20                            ' 099
                            byte  $D8                            ' 100
                            byte  $03                            ' 101
                            byte  $C6                            ' 102
                            byte  $01                            ' 103
                            byte  $91                            ' 104
                            byte  $AC                            ' 105
                            byte  $E6                            ' 106
                            byte  $01                            ' 107
                            byte  $65                            ' 108
                            byte  $90                            ' 109
                            byte  $85                            ' 110
                            byte  $90                            ' 111
                            byte  $E6                            ' 112
                            byte  $AC                            ' 113
                            byte  $D0                            ' 114
                            byte  $05                            ' 115
                            byte  $EE                            ' 116
                            byte  $20                            ' 117
                            byte  $D0                            ' 118
                            byte  $E6                            ' 119
                            byte  $AD                            ' 120
                            byte  $A5                            ' 121
                            byte  $AC                            ' 122
                            byte  $C5                            ' 123
                            byte  $AE                            ' 124
                            byte  $D0                            ' 125
                            byte  $E4                            ' 126
                            byte  $A5                            ' 127
                            byte  $AD                            ' 128
                            byte  $C5                            ' 129
                            byte  $AF                            ' 130
                            byte  $D0                            ' 131
                            byte  $DE                            ' 132
                            byte  $A9                            ' 133
                            byte  $1F                            ' 134
                            byte  $85                            ' 135
                            byte  $01                            ' 136
                            byte  $20                            ' 137
                            byte  $D8                            ' 138
                            byte  $03                            ' 139
                            byte  $C5                            ' 140
                            byte  $90                            ' 141
                            byte  $F0                            ' 142
                            byte  $03                            ' 143
                            byte  $4C                            ' 144
                            byte  $E2                            ' 145
                            byte  $FC                            ' 146
                            byte  $A2                            ' 147
                            byte  $0C                            ' 148
                            byte  $20                            ' 149
                            byte  $B8                            ' 150
                            byte  $FC                            ' 151
                            byte  $58                            ' 152
                            byte  $20                            ' 153
                            byte  $A9                            ' 154
                            byte  $F5                            ' 155
                            byte  $86                            ' 156
                            byte  $2D                            ' 157
                            byte  $84                            ' 158
                            byte  $2E                            ' 159
                            byte  $20                            ' 160
                            byte  $59                            ' 161
                            byte  $A6                            ' 162
                            byte  $4C                            ' 163
                            byte  $B1                            ' 164
                            byte  $A7                            ' 165
                            byte  $A9                            ' 166
                            byte  $01                            ' 167
                            byte  $48                            ' 168
                            byte  $AD                            ' 169
                            byte  $20                            ' 170
                            byte  $D0                            ' 171
                            byte  $49                            ' 172
                            byte  $05                            ' 173
                            byte  $8D                            ' 174
                            byte  $20                            ' 175
                            byte  $D0                            ' 176
                            byte  $A9                            ' 177
                            byte  $10                            ' 178
                            byte  $2C                            ' 179
                            byte  $0D                            ' 180
                            byte  $DC                            ' 181
                            byte  $F0                            ' 182
                            byte  $FB                            ' 183
                            byte  $AD                            ' 184
                            byte  $0D                            ' 185
                            byte  $DD                            ' 186
                            byte  $4A                            ' 187
                            byte  $A9                            ' 188
                            byte  $99                            ' 189
                            byte  $8D                            ' 190
                            byte  $0E                            ' 191
                            byte  $DD                            ' 192
                            byte  $68                            ' 193
                            byte  $2A                            ' 194
                            byte  $90                            ' 195
                            byte  $E3                            ' 196
                            byte  $60                            ' 197
                            byte  $51                            ' 198
                            byte  $03                            ' 199
                            byte  $20                            ' 200
                            byte  $6D                            ' 201
    Check_Sum_add           byte  $99                            ' 202

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse
    edited 2009-04-22 03:01
    Finally after re-writing the loader routine a couple of times it works...
    And the 30K barrier was broken when loading Manic Miner (47KB) from the memory card... wink.gif

Still plenty of things to do, percentage bar does not work for example, File names need to be formatted etc...
    And I definitely want to support more file formats... wink.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse
    edited 2009-04-22 03:52
    I thought I make a video to show you how it works, sorry that the quality is beyond terrible... wink.gif
    http://s385.photobucket.com/albums/oo298/fsafstrom_2008/?action=view&current=100_0479.flv

Anyhow, this shows Jupiter Lander (5K) loading in about 15 secs.
    As you can see the loader starts automatically, no need to type run or and the program auto starts as well.
    I know you cannot see this but it actually say FOUND JUPITER LANDER... wink.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse
    edited 2009-04-22 09:28
    NICE!

If i can manage to get some free time i will dissasemble the trilogic loader and try to tweak it a bit.