Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
C64 Datasette emulator with the Propeller - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

C64 Datasette emulator with the Propeller

Comments

• Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2009-02-26 16:56
    Hopefully his cable will arrive today or tomorrow (at latest) I shipped it out Tuesday.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Check out: Protoboard Introduction , Propeller Cookbook 1.4 & Software Index
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS
  • BamseBamse Posts: 561
    edited 2009-02-26 17:09
    I'll try it as soon as I get the cable...

That I can promise... wink.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Living on the planet Earth might be expensive but it includes a free trip around the sun every year...

Experience level:
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] Let's connect the motor to pin 1, it's a 6V motor so it should be fine.
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] OK, I got my resistors hooked up with the LEDs.
    [noparse][[/noparse]X] I got the Motor hooked up with the H-bridge and the 555 is supplying the PWM.
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] Now, if I can only program the BOE-BOT to interface with he Flux Capacitor.
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] I dream in SX28 assembler...

/Bamse
    edited 2009-03-02 03:19
    Howdy...
    I got the cable on Friday but I haven't had the time to look at it until now...

Unfortunately I cannot get it to work properly.
    Since I don't have the memory card setup I tried the loader with the "A VERY SMALL PROGRAM".
    I tried it about 15 times before I got it to load, it did show a Load Error but I did get the Wavy text.
    Since I had this on a breadboard, I soldered it down on a protoboard to eliminate bad connections.
    Another 10 tries and I got found "A VERY..." but it never loaded properly just a bunch of random data as a Basic program.
    Gave up after another 15 tries...

Mostly the C64 does not found anything, the screen flickers a little bit but are off.
    Maybe five times it found something with a random name, including graphic chars...

Black connected to ground.
    Red to 10Kohm, to P1, to 10Kohm, to ground.
    White to 1Kohm to P0.
    Blue to ground.
    And for the LED, red to 220 ohm, to LED to ground.

Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong ?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Living on the planet Earth might be expensive but it includes a free trip around the sun every year...

Experience level:
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] Let's connect the motor to pin 1, it's a 6V motor so it should be fine.
    [noparse][[/noparse]X] I got the Motor hooked up with the H-bridge and the 555 is supplying the PWM.
    [noparse][[/noparse] ] Now, if I can only program the BOE-BOT to interface with he Flux Capacitor.

/Bamse
    3472 x 2604 - 2M
    edited 2009-03-02 06:35
    There we go...

I scrapped the 1Kohm resistor and loaded the program without any problems five times in a row... wink.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse
  • Ahle2Ahle2 Posts: 1,178
    edited 2009-03-02 08:07
    Sorry about the that cry.gif
    This isn´t rocket sience obviously idea.gif

What modell do you have? (C64)

Maybe the signal gets to weak to be recogniezed on some C64 ?

Don´t scrap the resistor entirely, it might burn ! (have to be on the safe side)
    Test with lower values like 680, 470, 330 ohm

BTW, get yourself a SD card and wait for the BUG fixed version that i will upload soon.
    A silly bug in the assembler code made about 30% of all tap files unloadable blush.gif
    edited 2009-03-02 08:22
    It might be due to overexposure, but the resistor colors seems to be weird !
    Are you sure that you have got the right values ?
    edited 2009-03-02 14:49
    @Ah1e2
    I may lower the values of the resistors over here too.
    You might have noticed how dim the red LED (motor control line) is in the video.

@Bamse
    Glad to see you got the cable. (your envelope arrived too)
    I should have created the breakout board for it the way you did, instead I soldered
    the wires directly to pins. (melted and mis-formed now)

I wish you would have said that you didn't have an SD setup for your Prop yet!
    I would have included a spare SD socket in that package for you! It's nothing
    to solder them up and get it working.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

edited 2009-03-02 16:41
    I switched to a 150 ohm and that worked fine...
    My LED is in parallel with the motor control voltage divider, I'm basically giving the LED full 6V over 220 ohm and it's nice and bright.

I do have a SD card reader, I just haven't gotten around to it yet... wink.gif
    I made one for the Hydra on the experimenters card and put in a header.
    That way, I can hook up the card from the header.

I have attached a pic of the model/serial of the C64.
    Looking at the schematics, the Cassette read is pulled up to 5V by a 3.3Kohm resistor and then goes into Pin 24 (inverted Flag) of U1 (CIA 6526 $DC00-$DCFF). So there is no resistor in series with the Cassette read line on the Commodore side.

Looking forward to the new version...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse
    edited 2009-03-02 16:45
    Hmm, the picture didn't make it, something wrong with the Attachment Manager...

All the back side say is Model no 64. Serial P00701996...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse
    edited 2009-03-04 00:30
    Here is my first step against a PRG loader...

The TAP files are pretty large so it would be nice if we could just load a PRG in stead.
    So far it will generate a header on the fly and stop.

Let me find a small PRG file and see if I can get it loaded... wink.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse
    edited 2009-03-04 04:38
    Proof of concept...
    Does load but with the notorious Load Error... wink.gif

Should be possible though...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse
    edited 2009-03-04 15:41
    Progress! Keep going!

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

edited 2009-03-04 15:42
    And here is the one that loads OK without errors.
    Guess it's time to add support for an SD card.

Now, if we only could add a fast loader to it, 30K took 10 minutes to load... wink.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse
    edited 2009-03-04 15:51
    Wow. Quick!

Fast loader indeed! You know of course that the real fruit is the IEC interface. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

edited 2009-03-04 16:24
    Hmm, IEC interface...

Haven't heard of it, let me Google it.
    Or do you have any good links you could post ?

I actually reverse engineered the signals from Luigidifraias LibTap utilities.
    He has a utility that converts PRG files to TAP files and that is where I got the information.

Thinking of it, he has a commercial product and put in a lot of work in it.
    I really hope I don't upset him by using his utilities like this.
    On the other hand, I'm only looking at the output, I'm not de-compiling any of his executables.
    This could have been done with any utility that converts PRG to TAP.
    Am I doing something wrong here ?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse
    edited 2009-03-04 17:07
    At risk of hijacking Ahle2's thread.. (sorry Ahle2!)

I'm referring to the Commodore serial interface.
    (The same one that 1541 connects to.)

I understand it to be timing tricky, but probably something that
    the Propeller could handle if enough patience was thrown at it. tongue.gif

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

• trodosstrodoss Posts: 577
    edited 2009-03-04 17:14
    I ran across this when Googling IEC (since I didn't know what it was either)

IECATA : IDE/CF as Commodore IEC

http://8bit.yarek.pl/interface/c64.iecata/

Don't know if it would be helpful or not
    edited 2009-03-04 19:01
    We could start a new Thread and gather the technical details we need for the IEC interface.
    I would like to finish up the Datasette emulator before starting a IEC project though.

What other formats rather than TAP and PRG would be realistic to support in a Datasette emulator ?
    I'm going to see if I can add a Fast Loader and SD support to the PRG loader...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse
    edited 2009-03-04 21:21
    Finally got to try out the SD card and the two TAP files...
    Awesome...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse
    edited 2009-03-05 18:59
    Here is the start of an interesting project...
    See if you can guess what I'm planing to do... wink.gif

I got the 128x64 LCD screen that would fit nicely under the cassette door and I put some switches under the buttons...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse
    3472 x 2604 - 2M
    3472 x 2604 - 2M
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-03-05 19:05
    A solid-state datasette recorder? Propeller controlled? With an LCD?!? Were was this in 1984??? =)· Wait...where's the SD Card reader?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
    edited 2009-03-05 20:14
    Funny part is that I was honestly considering doing the EXACT same thing! [noparse]:)[/noparse]

I was thinking that there might be a way to use the play/stop buttons to trigger actual
    buttons. Maybe forward/reverse to activate the menu.

I'll let you stomp through the design issues, then build mine after you get finished. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

edited 2009-03-06 12:59
    Bamse wrote:
    "The TAP files are pretty large so it would be nice if we could just load a PRG in stead.
    So far it will generate a header on the fly and stop."

Why invent the wheel once again it´s already done ( a year ago tongue.gif ), was to eager to wait for my release? cry.gif

Bamse wrote:
    "Now, if we only could add a fast loader to it, 30K took 10 minutes to load... wink.gif"

It's already being worked on (by me) as stated before ?

Bamse wrote:
    "What other formats rather than TAP and PRG would be realistic to support in a Datasette emulator ?
    I'm going to see if I can add a Fast Loader and SD support to the PRG loader..."

P00, T64, D64 (load stored prg files)... P00 and T64 is really easy to implement.

I will upload my kernel loader(.prg loader) as well.... It´s basically the same as the version released (.bin) a year ago but without load errors and SD support!

I will also upload my new version of the TAP loader with a very nice fileselector and some nice on the fly info while loading.
    This time it's not an UGLY hack as the first version was [noparse]:([/noparse]
    Stay tuned !

Next thing is to intergrate ALL functionality into ONE project.

Question: Should we join forces and make an official C64 "datasette suit" for the propeller ?

Post Edited (Ahle2) : 3/6/2009 1:27:21 PM GMT
    edited 2009-03-06 14:28
    Howdy...

I spent yesterday trying to figure out how to mount the LCD display without drilling in the cassette lid...
    The corners of the LCD display is pretty close to the edges of the lid and I'm worried that the lid will crack.
    However after getting nowhere, I'm going to take my chances today and hope the lid don't crack...

@Ahle2,
    Yes, I was too eager to wait.... tongue.gif
    But it was a nice experience to decode the signal from a TAP file, kept me busy for a while...
    Since you already working on the fast loader, I'll be happy to leave that part for you.
    It would be nice to have a Datasette propeller object, let me know how I can help out.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse
    edited 2009-03-06 14:36
    You two should definitely collaborate!

@Bamse
    I just zoomed in on your second photo! That looks looks like a great way to mount the switches!
    Where did you get those? Let me know if you inadvertently destroy the lid, I located a couple
    more datacassette units since I sent yours out.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

edited 2009-03-06 16:12
    I got them from the local electronics store (Intertex in San Antonio).

They are 1/2 in square and 1/8 thick.
    If you look closely you can see that they have two small pegs on the bottom.
    I drilled two small holes in the frame to keep them in place and then glued them with epoxy.
    The foam under the buttons are just ordinary anti static foam.

Let me know if you cannot find them and I'll send them to you.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse
    3472 x 2604 - 2M
    edited 2009-03-10 02:15
    Hardware pretty much done... wink.gif

The lid made it without cracks, the LCD looks awesome...
    I want to mount the SD card reader so the card can be inserted on the front, to the right of the buttons.
    The red LED is hooked up to the motor voltage, so it will come on when loading.
    The Casette sense is hooked up via a 2N2222 transistor, that way it will display the good old "PRESS PLAY ON TAPE" until you hit the play button... wink.gif

Now for the fun part, programming...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse
    3472 x 2604 - 1M
    3472 x 2604 - 2M
    edited 2009-03-10 02:31
    The attachment manager don't like me so I lost three of the pictures...

Anyway, here they are from Photobucket,
    100_0268.jpg
    100_0271.jpg
    100_0273.jpg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse
    edited 2009-03-10 05:49
    And the schematics...

Just in case you would like to try this at home...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Experience level:

/Bamse
    1657 x 1284 - 39K
    edited 2009-03-10 07:53
    I´m breathless..... Really nice hardware yeah.gif

I'm pretty much done with a good multifile loader, but the mouse driven GUI isn't 100% working yet..
    As soon as i get home a will upload a Text based version for you to test out while waiting for the real one.

It now supports:

- Loading P00, T64, PRG, TAP (soon tap v2)
    - Nice on the fly info
    - Count down (estestimated time left)
    - Progress bar
    - Start, Stop, rewind.... etc ( could be used by your hardware Bamse !)
    - File selector
    - Filter for supported files

It will support:

- Loading D64
    - Saving to tap
    - Super loader (70% done)
    - Genlock compability (Display the GUI over the C64 video signal)
    - A lot more

BTW, i have bought a new boxed, NEVER used datasette unit on Tradera (same as ebay)

My next project will be a Amiga floppy emulator (I know that there already is such a project, but not with the prop)