Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Updated 10/9/07: The Propeller Cookbook v1.4 - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Updated 10/9/07: The Propeller Cookbook v1.4

Comments

• Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2007-08-06 01:50
    Thanks Brian! If you'll post a link for it, I'll add it to the 1st post on this.

As for the mention, no problem! I would have likely bought that SD adapter before I bought the
    one from Sparkfun had it been available. At $17+ bucks, it's a deal.

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The comments and code above are proof that a million monkeys with a million propeller chips *could* write Shakespeare!
  • Harrison.Harrison. Posts: 484
    edited 2007-08-06 02:10
    I would strongly recommend hosting your files on Google Pages: pages.google.com/ . All you need is a google account and you can upload files and host your own website. I believe the current limit is 100mb, which is probably plenty.

Harrison
    edited 2007-08-06 02:44
    Good idea! Done!

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The comments and code above are proof that a million monkeys with a million propeller chips *could* write Shakespeare!
  • Rob7Rob7 Posts: 275
    edited 2007-08-06 02:48
    Oldbitcollector,

Thanks for the info on your cookbook, "It's great". I have been struggleing with my sparkfun SD card adapter. I did not purchase one and I decided to scratchbuild one for myself, I could not get it to work correctly, I made it a point to sit down and spend some time with it, and figure this one out. Your cookbook and drawnings made it simple. I found out what I was doing wrong.

Rob7
    edited 2007-08-06 02:52
    Fantastic!!

I've had as much fun documenting the projects I've done on the Propeller as I have actually doing them.
    I'm extremely pleased that the SD page was clear enough to get you through it.

Now treat yourself to a nice install of Bagger's Miner game.. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • parts-man73parts-man73 Posts: 830
    edited 2007-08-06 04:16
    Ok, it's online

ucontroller.com/propellercookbook.pdf

Email me any updated versions and I'll be sure to get them online asap.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

uController.com - home of SpinStudio
    edited 2007-08-13 02:59
    Several Items added to the Propeller Cookbook (1st post edited)

One of the big items I've added to my own propeller setup is the Nintendo 64 controller.
    It's a LOT of input (14 buttons, x/y joystick) in exchange for a single pin!

I'm curious why so many have opted to skip over it for devices requiring more connections?
    The strangeness of the plug?

BTW, I'm working on a 'gamepad_drv_001' we can drop in for existing games... [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Kaos KiddKaos Kidd Posts: 614
    edited 2007-08-13 15:43
    Very interesting collection of information and "how to" you have collected into one place.
    Good Job.

KK

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Propeller + Hardware - extra bits for the bit bucket =· 1 Coffeeless KaosKidd

·
  • steve_bsteve_b Posts: 1,563
    edited 2007-08-13 18:15
    Why isn't this topic a sticky?
    Would hate to see it get swallowed up in the mire of "the forum"!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    <FONT>Steve

What's the best thing to do in a lightning storm? "take a one iron out the bag and hold it straight up above your head, even God cant hit a one iron!"
    Lee Travino after the second time being hit by lightning!
  • MightorMightor Posts: 338
    edited 2007-08-13 18:33
    steve_b said...
    Would hate to see it get swallowed up in the mire of "the forum"!
    And "bumping" it all the time is frowned upon, so this is definately not one of those bump posts. Not at all, not even close.

Please move along, there's no bump here.

Thanks,
    Mightor

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    | Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    edited 2007-08-13 20:09
    [noparse]:)[/noparse] You guys kill me! Thanks for the compliments! It's been a blast to put together.

I think I'm going to shift gears for a while and work on that .Spin for BASIC programmers text...
    (I'm got a few more areas to master before that will be complete.)

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-08-13 20:36
    steve_b said...
    Done, it is now in the new Propeller hardware sticky, and the 5V <-> 3.3V sticky has been included and demoted to non-sticky.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-08-13 20:50
    Wow OldBit! you superseded the 5V <- -> 3.3V sticky ! I thought that sticky would never be "un-stickied" (with good reason, there are still questions on that subject now and then)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2007-08-13 20:52
    Oh, they are both there in the same sticky, I was just waiting for another hardware related thread to roll with it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • bulkheadbulkhead Posts: 405
    edited 2007-08-15 05:32
    About the n64 controllers- I guess n64 controllers just aren't as popular as ps2 controllers because ps2 controllers have remained the same since the original playstation came out and there is just more documentation for it. However, it looks appealing since it requires only 1 pin. I have one suggestion for the connector problem though, why not just buy some extension cables and cut off the connector? That way, the controller can still be reused. A search of "n64 extension*" on ebay yields several results. Anyways, great work, I look forward to seeing more updates to the cookbook!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I'm new to the propeller!
    edited 2007-08-15 05:59
    There's plenty of room on that page.. Since it's a simple three wire interface, I should add that. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    BTW, I've also spotted N64 connectors (already removed) on Ebay as well.

Nintendo Zapper and the LCD module are in process of being added to the Cookbook,
    thanks for the compliments..

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-08-23 20:57
    The Cookbook gets another update this month! [noparse][[/noparse]I'm up to 1MB!]

I've added documentation on Brian's SpinStudio "Socket B"
    to take advantage of his LCD, Video/Audio, and Servo modules.

I've also added the Propeller I/O comparison (with permission)
    so that it doesn't get lost.

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2007-08-23 22:42
    ...and I've got the newest cookbook mirrored at uController.com as of right now.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Brian

• rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2007-08-23 23:50
    Brian,

Thanks for mirroring. I was just about to ask... and where is that Cookbook?
    I'm thinking of just placing a standing order... anything you make, I want.

Oldbitcollector,

What can I say? You even added my micro-phone input. Thanks.
    Don't you burn out on me[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Rich
  • MightorMightor Posts: 338
    edited 2007-08-24 03:54
    Oldbit,

I love the comparison chart! Nice job! I will print this out as soon as I get into the office [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Gr,
    Mightor

PS I know I promised a couple of recipes for the book, but I've been kind of busy doing non-Prop related stuff (I know, I know, blasphemy!), I'll try to get some done soon, hehe.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    | To know recursion, you must first know recursion.
    edited 2007-09-24 22:18
    Oldbit et all,

I am building the worlds slowest·Prop-based·coil winder... and I wanted to be able to drive it manually though a joystick and have it remember what I did.·

So, I looked in your Cookbook and found out that the Nintendo-64 controller takes only one pin and gives you a gazillian buttons...· and the controller's wires are color coded!!!

Then I downloaded Claude Hertel's "N64 Controller"·from· the Object Exchange.· Claude's objects·are beautifully documented.··The initial setup worked... first time[noparse]:)[/noparse]···

For beginners looking for some beautiful assembly code, which·is almost easy to understand,· I'd highly recommend this as an exercise.··Claude's object would be·very easy to understand·if there was a clear description of the N64 Protocol.

I've googled the issue and I can't find anything about the·N64 controller·protocol...· anyone have a link?

Rich·

P.S. Claude's sample implementation reports out the joystick position in a discontinuous range of hex values.· That can be easily hacked, sample included.
    edited 2007-09-24 22:24
    Yes.. The N64 controller is very UNDER USED. So much functionality for one IO pin.

I've been tempted to get a few more from Ebay and crack one open to see just exactly
    what they are using for a brain. Perhaps we could employ that in place of the other
    bit-shifters that are being used.

BTW, when Google doesn't give you what you want the first time, smack it harder.. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Here's what I uncovered.. Looks to answer the question..

www.mixdown.ca/n64dev/

Glad to see the Cookbook has become useful..

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little colored lights . . . check.

— Calvin, of 'Calvin and Hobbes.
    edited 2007-09-24 22:35
    Oldbit,

Save your money, my son has them laying all over the floor of his closet... How many do you want?

Rich
    edited 2007-09-24 22:36
    He has a couple of wireless one's too!
    edited 2007-09-24 22:44
    Nice! I PM'd you.. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Oldbit

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Buttons . . . check. Dials . . . check. Switches . . . check. Little colored lights . . . check.

edited 2007-09-24 22:48
    Thanks for the link... do you google better than I or is this something you had in your brain?

There appears to be an error in the doc... an engineering controversy in the making!!!

The doc says that there are only 24 positions available in each direction on the joystick... but Claude manages to squeeze out almost 90 (82 for sure[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Rich
    edited 2007-09-24 22:54
    I google for a living.. <smirk> (computer technician) Nah, some days I just get lucky.

yes, I also noticed his warning about driving the pin high.. I was sitting here trying to remember
    what the prop does at startup, but I think we're ok on that one..

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• Rob7Rob7 Posts: 275
    edited 2007-09-25 01:00
    Downloaded !
    Thanks for the update.
    Rob7
    edited 2007-10-10 02:48
    Oldbitcollector said...
    The 'Propeller Cookbook' has been updated to include the following items....

Updated: 10/9/07

Added: Conversion of Protoboard to SpinStudio, Hydra-NET (with permission)

jeffledger.googlepages.com/PPDftBv14.zip

a mirror (Thanks Brian!) for Propeller Cookbook is also located at:

www.ucontroller.com

Oldbitcollector
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2007-10-10 02:50
    Cookbook update 1.4 released tonight, see top of thread...

Oldbitcollector

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔