Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
STOP PRESS!!! my next app, is A MUST SEE!!!, be prepared, you NEED a proto/demo — Parallax Forums

STOP PRESS!!! my next app, is A MUST SEE!!!, be prepared, you NEED a proto/demo

BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
edited 2007-06-15 18:18 in Propeller 1
SD card on port 0-3

copy this file to the root of your SD

http://www.jimbagley.co.uk/JBTEST.JB

then download this binary to your board and BE AMAZED!
is there NOTHING the prop can't do [noparse]:)[/noparse]

http://www.jimbagley.co.uk/JBTEST.binary

PS, Don't forget to let me know what you think of it [noparse]:)[/noparse]
I'm not posting a pic, you'll have to see it to believe it.

Edit: Oh, and it's PAL!

Edit2: Scratch that, it now does NTSC too [noparse];)[/noparse]

http://www.jimbagley.co.uk/JBTESTNTSC.binary

Post Edited (Baggers) : 6/8/2007 8:32:56 PM GMT

Comments

• Martin HebelMartin Hebel Posts: 1,239
    edited 2007-06-08 19:52
    I guess those of us without SD cards for the prop can't be amazed [noparse]:([/noparse]

-Martin

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    StampPlot - GUI and Plotting, and XBee Wireless Adapters
    Southern Illinois University Carbondale, Electronic Systems Technologies
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2007-06-08 19:53
    Sorry matey, but it needs the storage capacity of the SD. soz [noparse]:([/noparse]
    edited 2007-06-08 20:31
    Now does NTSC too, see link at top of post!
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,108
    edited 2007-06-08 20:39
    OH MY LORD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is the most amazing thing I have seen on a Prop yet.........

Jim you are amazing!!!!

PS Couldn't get PAL to work but NTSC did first time.

I wont post a picture of it, don't want to spoil it for anyone.

Certainly was jaw droppingly cool!!!! yeah.gif

Thinking about it, a picture wouldn't do it justice, it would have to be a video....... smile.gif

Post Edited (Coley) : 6/8/2007 8:45:31 PM GMT
    edited 2007-06-08 20:44
    Thanks Coley, yeah, I was quite happy with the results as you can imagine [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    deffo worth the download isn't it.
    I know the title is a sort of grab you and look at this, but I think this app has the nads to pull it off, don't you think?

And I have two cogs spare.
    It's
    1 Cog for spin main prog.
    1 Cog for TV
    3 Cogs for TV Image Generating.
    1 Cog for SDFAT
    So I could use the spare space and cogs for music [noparse]:)[/noparse] lol

Edit: Yeah your right, a picture wouldn't do it justice. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2007-06-08 20:50
    You are right Jim it is definately the dog's danglies!!

I took your MM port to show a PIC developer friend of mine and he was blown away.

It's a good job I didn't have this available cos he would've had a seizure!

As I left him he was ordering a proto board from Milford Instruments!!!

Any idea why the PAL wouldn't work for me, other PAl stuff does.

I am using the Demoboard.

Cheers!!

Coley
    edited 2007-06-08 20:55
    Hi Coley,
    ROFL [noparse]:)[/noparse] yeah I suppose your PIC developer friend would have had a seizure lol
    I don't blame him for ordering a protoboard from Milford, Prop Rocks.
    As for PAL, Try grabbing it again, I've made it use the same code for the NTSC one now, since I fixed the timing issue I had [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Cheers,
    Baggers.

Edit: you can show your friend this demo when he gets his board, he'll have to get an SD card too then lol.
    edited 2007-06-08 21:01
    Hmmm, strange one this.

When I run the PAL version I get a tiny glimpse of the word then a black screen.

When I run the NTSC version, all ok.

Have double checked other PAL display objects, all OK.

Regards,

Coley
    edited 2007-06-08 21:08
    Have you re-downloaded the new jbtest.binary?

Cheers,
    Baggers.
    edited 2007-06-08 21:19
    Hi Jim,

Yes I have re-downloaded the binary. Exactly the same result.

Any chance of recompiling with a flashing debug led on P16 (VGA Port), maybe it could be synced to the item that counts in the top left hand corner.

Just so I can be sure it is running...

Thanks,

Coley
    edited 2007-06-08 21:29
    There ya go matey,
    Try that.

Goin to bed now though, up early tomorrow, so If I don't reply to your answers, I'm not ignoring you, I'm asleep scool.gif

If not, we'll see if we can sort it tomorrow. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Baggers.
  • nutsonnutson Posts: 242
    edited 2007-06-08 21:41
    Amazing, Baggers. I have the NTSC version running,·using a TV to VGA converter. Wondering how you coded the frames at 6KByte/frame average.

Nutson
    edited 2007-06-08 21:47
    OK done that and got a flashing led, not steady as I would expect but flashing rather erratically.

I will PM you a short video clip tomorrow.

Thanks

Coley
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-06-09 00:42
    This is like the pre launch hype for the segway [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Do you work for Sandisk? Trying to boost sales?

Video it and put it on you tube please!!!

Graham
  • JT CookJT Cook Posts: 487
    edited 2007-06-09 00:45
    I second that. For those of us who don't have an SD card slot someone do a video grab or something please.
  • Harrison.Harrison. Posts: 484
    edited 2007-06-09 02:18
    Here's a video of the output when you run the NTSC binary (it is really amazing): video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1104233854097862067. The real thing looks better than the captured video (better resolution and more vivid colors).

Harrison
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2007-06-09 02:49
    WOW, I'm blown away. Truly amazing. My hat is off to you Baggers.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    “The United States is a nation of laws -· poorly written and randomly enforced.” - Frank Zappa

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    www.hittconsulting.com
    ·
  • Rob7Rob7 Posts: 275
    edited 2007-06-09 02:59
    Baggers,

Wow ! I'm totally blown away ! Keep up the good work. "I never thought the propeller could do this !"
    Rob7
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-06-09 03:10
    Holy guacamole! Baggers, that's an astonishing piece of work! And thank you to Harrison for posting the video link! (I don't have an SD card.)

Now, Baggers, can you share a little about your data structure? How are the 3D elements stored? Is the "voyage" computed in real time, or are elements of it and/or the scenery POV precompiled?

Thanks,
    -Phil
  • CardboardGuruCardboardGuru Posts: 443
    edited 2007-06-09 03:18
    Well, presumably, the fact that it requires an SD for a 19.5 MB data file indicates that it's a movie. A bit late in the year for an April Fool, isn't it?

Post Edited (CardboardGuru) : 6/9/2007 3:25:18 AM GMT
  • edited 2007-06-09 03:19
    How in the world did you get that done?? It feels like you copied from the amiga demo and used 256 colors...but how??? I see why your topic uses Caps all the time, this is truely the most amazing thing on the propellor freaked.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Realize that I am really a mad scientist··· and

Don't forget it!

http://raydillon.com/Images/Illustration/GameArt/WildIsle/WildIsle-Ink-ScientistClose.jpg

·
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2007-06-09 03:44
    C. Guru,

You might have a point. I hadn't looked to see how big that SD file was. (It's 20MB!) Nonetheless, there has to be a lot happening compute-wise, since the Propeller probably can't read a pixel-by-pixel rendition from SD fast enough. And 20MB / 3200 frames is only 6250 bytes/frame, so there's more than just pixel streaming going on.

Even if it were "just" a movie, it's one heckuvan eye-opening presentation, and a great inspiration for some cool apps. (Remember laser disc-based video games?)

-Phil
  • JT CookJT Cook Posts: 487
    edited 2007-06-09 05:41
    Oh wow, I reconize that demo! That was one of the first homebrew GBA demos put out(and if I recall it was then based on an Amiga or Atari ST demo). I'm·guessing at 6k that each fram is a low resolution low color·bitmap (tho I could be wrong).

Anyway I still haven't seen it on a real system, the video I saw is pretty impressive!
  • sharpiesharpie Posts: 150
    edited 2007-06-09 09:18
    Hmmm.. where have I seen that before.. Very cool that you got it to go on the prop Baggers!
  • GnoStiCGnoStiC Posts: 1
    edited 2007-06-09 11:21
    nice work [noparse]:)[/noparse]

p.s.:
    it's the GBA 3D Trip demo by Oxygene..
    www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=1575
    edited 2007-06-09 12:03
    Firstly, thanks for the nice remarks, [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Coley, I think I know what it is, it's probably the same timing issue as I had with the NTSC, with swap screen, I'll fix that soon. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    reason for the led flashing eratically is because it's after each frame load, but like I said, I recon I'll have it fixed sometime today.

Graham No, I don't work for sandisk, but was trying to show Andre' he needs to add an SD card to the Hydra, as it'll open a lot more for bigger games.

Sorry for not posting vid, but I don't have a video capture, so a BIG thanks to harrison for providing a vid cheers [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Thanks Bean and Rob7 and PhiPi [noparse]:)[/noparse]

CardboardGuru is partly right, although it's not an April Fool tsk tsk for thinking such a thing.
    It is a test bed for my tv display, which is the first part of my 3D poly renderer, as I needed a screen of data to test the display,
    and what better to see it working, than a lot of animation rather than just a single image, so yes, at the moment it's kind of a movie player, but not.
    ( this bit will also answer sharpie, and JT Cook is right [noparse];)[/noparse] well spotted. the GBA demo was Arnaud Carre's which was a port from the ST demo too.

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=1575 as GnoStiC has said. cheers [noparse];)[/noparse]

Yes, I spoke with him about it the day I started it ( day before yesterday )to make sure I had his permission to use it etc. )
    Because the display is 240x160 like the GBA, but 8bit. so each screen in theory should take 38400 bytes, which is obviously TOO much for the little beastie of a prop.
    I wanted to do a compressed image, since it's how I plan my 3D render to work too [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    I quickly loaded his demo into a gba emu, then grabbed an uncompressed AVI with the emulator.
    then wrote a quick app, to then read each frame into a buffer, and compress each line to work with how I was going to do my TV display, then wrote the asm side for the prop to display it, then added the SDFAT driver, got it to read a frame at time, displaying the previous one. ( then due to the timing issue I had I ended up having to triple buffer it so yes, there are 3 240x160 8bit images on the prop's ram at any one time [noparse]:)[/noparse] )
    and couldn't resist posting it, as it looks really good [noparse]:)[/noparse] and I was pleased as pie with the results, as you can guess with my post heading [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    I'm not stopping here, I'll fix the frame buffer, so it works properly and just uses two buffers.
    Then the next step is the poly drawer, to create the display, without SD. it won't be as big or wonderful, but it'll be the PROP doing 3D.

So, in itself, as a movie player, it's still pretty good, I'm pleased with that, I wonder if I could probably add audio too into the data that it loads lol.

Glad you all enjoyed it [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Baggers.
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2007-06-09 12:59
    OK OK, I'll buy an SD socket, I need this when I evangelize about the propeller!!
  • Shane De CataniaShane De Catania Posts: 67
    edited 2007-06-09 13:53
    HI Baggers, does this code work with an MMC card instead of an SD card? I only see frame 0 with my MMC.
    Cheers,
    S
    edited 2007-06-09 14:25
    Hi Graham,
    Lol, [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    I was also thinking, this could be used for graphic adventures too, loading a frame from SD, and having text in the bottom third of the display, leaving the current display size 240x160 ( set by the GBA size, can be bigger ) at the top two thirds.

Hi Shane,
    Sorry, I have no idea, most likely not, does fsrw work with your MMC card?
    if so, ( sorry for this but you did copy the file "JBTEST.JB" to the root? )
    I have frame 0 hard wired into the demo, for a tv test, on initialisation, so the code is working, it's just either not mounted or not finding the file etc.
    if not, let me know, I'll try and get hold of an MMC card now, and see if it works on mine too.

Cheers,
    Baggers.
  • Shane De CataniaShane De Catania Posts: 67
    edited 2007-06-09 14:47
    Hi Baggers - I tried FSRW, it does not mount the card ( I get "Returned from start 5")... I do vaguely remember having a look at the FSRW code at work a couple of months ago and found it was 99% compatible with MMC cards. I think I just a matter of allowing the MMC card type number and a couple of other minor changes (or I could be thinking of some other code... so much code, so few spare neurons). Sorry I don't have the code here to give you right now.
    Cheers,
    Shane.