Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Remember the Afat SD device? You are going to LOVE this! THINK USB for the Pch — Parallax Forums

Remember the Afat SD device? You are going to LOVE this! THINK USB for the Pch

cocokiwicocokiwi Posts: 75
edited 2006-08-12 15:07 in Propeller 1
Problem:
Connect a USB device to a Pchip! cannot do it you say,The Host is a PC device ONLY!

Not any more!

You CAN connect ANYTHING USB to the Pchip with this! you have to program it though!

Device is a Wiz-USB V2.00 UAfat card which has an SD slot card also,it will read Flash memory USB devices as the SD card does!

BUT will also see other devices,like Mice/keyboards/printers,etc.

All this via a IPS 1160BD DUAL USB Host controller with an AFAT controller chip.

This from the GHI website:

now you can add USB keyboard, mouse, joystick or even printer to your system very easily. USBwiz™ also includes FAT file system so you can run USB thumb drives and external USB (FAT formatted) hard drives.

No USB knowledge is necessary, plug and play!

Through simple commands over UART, SPI or I2C, you can read/write files from your thumb drive or SD/MMC card. Accessing USB Human Interface Devices (HID) and USB printers is also as simple.

I've added the Doc's at the bottom,they are new and not complete as yet.

the USB board V1 has undergone some changes and is supposed be out now as V2,but is very popular and in SHORT supply,

Forum!
uALFAT-USB is in stock and ready to ship.
This board comes with USB host connector and all the SD card connections are available on the board to connect SD memory cards.

http://www.ghielectronics.com/uALFAT-USB.htm

Latest forum info: Aug 8th

Dear customer,

uALFAT firmware is finally finished Thanks for every one's support. The full code library with full release will be on the website and we have new tutorials for hosting a website right from your USB memory and for playing MP3 music! All to come this week.

Also, the new boot loader version 2 for uALFAT can load firmware from USB memory and SD cards. There is a lot of improvement on the new boot loader. The new manual (2.04) explains it all and we will have a tutorial showing how to update your own boot loader.

Now, we are developing a second firmware for uALFAT chip. This firmware will be called uALUSB. You will have the option of loading uALFAT original firmware or the new uALUSB. uALUSB stand for "micro All USB". This firmware will have support for many USB devices but will drop the FAT library. This mean you can read/write sectors from USB memory or SD cards and also you can access printers, mice, joysticks, keyboards, cell phones, FTDI chip-set, prolific chip-set, silicon labs chip-set...and a lot more to come!

If you have any suggestions or wishes, let us know and we will look into it.

Regards,

GHI Team

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

WOW! I shudder to think what you guy's will do with this(grin) the board is less than $60.00

I had just brought the uAFAT - USB card ,a slightly different one(darn it) this one do the same thing But don,t have the SD on it BUT can be Attached via a 20 pin connector to the SD card , They are $45.00 in stock

http://www.saelig.com code is # FF006 USB afat OEM V2 the item with no photo. and are on a two week backorder

I missed the Diagram of the device,it has been added to the files below!

doing a little looking I think the USB single device that plugs into the SD card can do the same thing
as it is much the same setup,but uses a different host chip with only one USB port!

Here you have TWO fully independent cards with the second able to act as a USB host and access a SD card on the other card!
Very interesting NO?

cheers

Dennis freaked.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
http://people.delphiforums.com/cocokiwi/Image/picture.jpg

Post Edited (cocokiwi) : 8/11/2006 12:22:43 PM GMT

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-08-09 14:07
    I've had one on order for a couple of weeks. I'm really looking forward to using it.
  • cocokiwicocokiwi Posts: 75
    edited 2006-08-11 07:51
    Hi, realize there are TWO different boards here!

# 1 board.....The uAFAT-USB board has a USB connector on it and a 20pin Header to connect to a SD card $45.00 In Stock

this was the one I was thinking did all this,The only difference is the board,The USB only board is not a Wiz board which has both USB and SD,but uses the same chip setup and can be connected to the SD board via a 20pin Socket connector under it! The thing is you cannot use both USB and SD at the same time anyway,so having a single board with a USB host makes more sense! If this one can be updated with the NEW firmware! I,ve asked! watch out!

Update: 08/12/2006 I got this reply on the uAfat-USB board.

Yes and no! The new uALFAT *standard* firmware can't but there will be a second special firmware that you can load on uALFAT and will talk to many devices, including printers. This firmware is called uALUSB

uALUSB early version is already online and you can take a look at it and the manual if you like. Now it doesn't support printers but don't be surprised it does in few day Smiley

Which is the Question I asked,it will work!

the diagram is much the same with slight differences.The HOST chip is not the same , but it should work with the firmware update,which means one could use an SD board and a USB board together since they are independent of each other except for the Sd card access,it means one could milk the SD card for info from the USB or put it in for the prop chip and the sd card reader get that info! gets more interesting right!

I missed the diagram and have added it to the list in my main post and mixed up the Host controllers, the MAX 3421E is on the USB uAFAT and is a single USB HOST
    The ISP 1160BD is a Dual USB host

here you will find the USB version

# 2 board.... The USB- Wiz V2.00 USB and SD onboard $59.99 on Back order right now (2 weeks delivery)

i got confuzzed eyes.gif

Finaly figured it out idea.gif some info had me confused, the boards were different...but close enough to confuse the issue

and passed it on! shocked.gif Got it right and modifed the POSTS to reflect the changes,sorry about that! Please Reread to get it right,all is fixed.

Cheers lol.gif

Dennis

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (cocokiwi) : 8/13/2006 12:56:03 AM GMT
  • cocokiwicocokiwi Posts: 75
    edited 2006-08-12 15:07
    Mike Green said...
    I've had one on order for a couple of weeks. I'm really looking forward to using it.

jumpin.gif Well! I just found out they are in stock At GHI and should be in stock elsewhere next week according to forum news..

And the uAFAT-USB board that can plug into the SD card will work as a host for whatever! and is readily in stock right now!

What I got in reply:

Yes and no! The new uALFAT *standard* firmware can't but there will be a second special firmware that you can load on uALFAT and will talk to many devices, including printers. This firmware is called uALUSB

uALUSB early version is already online and you can take a look at it and the manual if you like. Now it doesn't support printers but don't be surprised it does in few day Smiley

Which was the question I asked..the new USB firmware will work on it as well as the WIZ.

Interesting NO?

Cheers Dennis

Cheers Dennis

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (cocokiwi) : 8/13/2006 1:01:15 AM GMT