Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Controller Board for Robots (officially version 1.02) - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Propeller Controller Board for Robots (officially version 1.02)

Comments

• Brian RileyBrian Riley Posts: 626
    edited 2006-07-28 19:55
    Boards are here (time now 1551 EDT); they look very good; visually, I can find nothing wrong with them so far. I am off to the workshop to build up two and test them. here's a couple of pix. Willl report back in an hour or so ....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    cheers ... brian riley, n1bq, underhill center, vermont
    See the K107 Serial LCD Controller at
    www.wulfden.org/k107/
    799 x 586 - 265K
    800 x 572 - 250K
    edited 2006-07-28 23:06
    WE HAVE LIFTOFF!!!!!

Put togther two baords and they seem to work fine. here are two pix.

The first picture is the board populated with the bare essentials. Thats is CPU, and CPU Power circuits (5V and 3V). From here, how much moe gest added is up to the builder.

The second picture is the board, totally complete except that I only have put 4 of the 28 servo connectors in place. Hooked up to the USB2SER and my MacBook with a 9V battery for CPU power. You will see no resistor on the LED ths is one of those ever-so-handy LEDs with built in 330 ohm resistors. the baord is running BlinkingLED.spin. I moved the LED up and down the ports 0 to 15 and chnage dthe program to match, all was well.

I will start packing the pre-orders tonight and hopefully get at least half in the mail tomorrow, Monday at the worst.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.wulfden.org/k107/
    799 x 591 - 141K
    788 x 591 - 135K
    edited 2006-07-28 23:31
    Now that I have the actual production board in hand I will write up a full manual, It will be available for download from the website by the time you all get your kits.

In the meantime here's a lits of thinsg I have found when building the two test boards.

(1) This is a RoHS compliant board. I have seen no problem soldering to the new tinning. However Mark designed the board with extensive ground planes. This added surface are makes soldering your ground more difficult. I found that I had to run my iron up to 800F (I usually run it at 710F) to get a good reasonably quick 'flow' when soldering the grounds. the rest were fine at 710F. The two power blocks and the 1000 UF cap grounds I had to solder at 850F as hot as my iron would go to get a good reasonably quick 'flow.'

(2) Put the 1000 uF cap and the two screwblock power connectors in last they each have small things next to them that are easier to insert and solder if the biggies aren't there.

(3) you will be happy to hear that Mark called the hole sizes for the .100 socket headers just right and they insert needing just a hint of force, meaning they will stay in place when the board is inverted to solder them. The 8 and 40 pin DIP socekst also stay in place when inverted

(4) See photo attached. I have supplied just about exactly the amount of .100 pin headers you need. They are supposed to be easily clipped with fine wire cutters. maybe its me but I have tried several different brands and still get more breakage than I like. I use a small hobby saw and miter box I bought from Micro-Mark for $11. Now, I used my band saw for the female headers, but in the past I used to use the hand miter saw for them too. Its worth the extra time and effort to do it cleanly.

(5) Resistor R1 is located on the board right 'in front of' the USB2SER connector. It gets in the way. Mount R1 (100K Brown-Black-Orange) by inserting it from the solder side and soldering it on the component side and clip the leads off real close.

(6) Do the servo pin headers before the socket headers, ... no big deal if you have tiny hands but if you have canned hams like mine, you will appreciate the space.

(7) I had a spare servo sitting on the bench and I used the female molex connector on it to plug over the sets of pin headers as I inserted them and hold them aligned and in place while I soldered them in place.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.wulfden.org/k107/
    788 x 591 - 122K
  • Ryan ClarkeRyan Clarke Posts: 738
    edited 2006-07-29 05:46
    Excellent! I can't wait to play with one of these

Ryan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Ryan Clarke
    Parallax Tech Support

RClarke@Parallax.com
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,547
    edited 2006-07-29 06:05
    Brian Riley,

I have to agree with Ryan. Excellent job!!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2006-07-29 12:33
    Thanks, guys, but don't forget, the "heavy lifting" in this project was Mark McMann (Dual Exhaust) who came up with the idea and design. I would bet not more than 5% of the baord is my doing. I am the just cheerleader and business manager of this project.

Hey Mark, stand up and take your well deserved bows!!!

OK will the *real* Mark please stand up? Sheesh, I must be tired ... it's Mark McCann ! Sorry Mark!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.wulfden.org/k107/

Post Edited (Brian Riley) : 7/29/2006 1:07:27 PM GMT
    edited 2006-07-29 21:31
    All pre-orders of the PRC were shipped this morning from zipcode 05490.

Please check the Shipping Status List and make sure your name is on the list. If there is a problem please indicate in your correspondance yur payPal email address so I can properly check it.

www.wulfden.org/shiplist.shtml

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.wulfden.org/k107/
    edited 2006-07-30 04:21
    I have posted preliminary documentation of the PRC website. It is a document PRC102-2.pdf. It contains pix, parts layout, schematics, and builders notes so far.

This document will be a 'work in progress.' the link to it will show the file time-date stamp so you can tell if it has been updated. As we find out new things, hints, tips, ideas, etc, they will be added o the document.

www.wulfden.org/PRC/

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.wulfden.org/k107/
  • parskoparsko Posts: 501
    edited 2006-07-30 09:00
    Brian, Mark,

I too agree with the crowd, that is impressive! I'm not too into the servos, but at some point I will join that club, and buy one.

I hate cutting those connectors too. My method involved my leatherman, and sawing them with the serated edge on both sides, then they snap apart without BLOWING UP. Effective, but wicked annoying! It's the only technique I have found while sitting at my desk...

-Parsko
    edited 2006-07-31 23:22
    well, it seems a lot of people have their packages already, I am more impressed every day with the USPS in general and priority mail in particular.

GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Parallax has extended support to this effort such that I can offer a 'complete kit' now for $50 plus $6 S/H or $56 dollars delivered to your door, PCB, parts, Parallax breadboard, and Propeller chip, all you need to supply is the know how and a USB2SER for programming.

They also gave me a bunch of breadboards outright. I want to 'share the wealth' with you guys who supported Mark and I out of the gate, but I cannot really afford to ship breadboards to everyone, so here is what I will do ... any of you original 18 or so PRC buyers who makes a subsequent purchase of the PRC or any other Disk Shoppe project over $20 total, I will ship you one of the Parallax breadboards for each PRC board you initially purchased. When you put in the order, in the notes field on PayPal make sure you remind me of the breadboards.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.wulfden.org/k107/
    edited 2006-08-01 13:40
    * * * PIX PLEASE * * *

Now that the PRC boards are out and people have them, .... when you get them built up and put them to use, take a pic and send it to me. Send them here to the forum too, but I would like to get them as high res as possible and plan to use them for documentation and on my website. You can send them to me at <brianbr@wulfden.org>

Don't forget that the PRC kits can now be ordered complete with Prop chip and breadboard thanks to Ken and the guys at Parallax.

www.wulfden.org/PRC/

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.wulfden.org/k107/
  • Kaos KiddKaos Kidd Posts: 614
    edited 2006-08-01 13:48
    Brian...
    Mrs KK called me last night, when she finally remembered after 12:am!, and told me the package was there...
    I can't wait to build it... [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Propeller + Hardware - extra bits for the bit bucket =· 1 Coffeeless KaosKidd

·
  • Dual ExhaustDual Exhaust Posts: 15
    edited 2006-08-01 22:20
    Thank you all for the complements. It has been a fun project.

The new board is working great in my existing robots. I’ll be sure to include pictures soon.

It doesn’t mount without some modification in the BoeBot, but it isn’t that difficult to drill a few holes.

blush.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory."
    - W. Edwards Deming
  • SawmillerSawmiller Posts: 276
    edited 2006-08-02 00:33
    one thing i hope you will consider , for the next batch of boards, would be to take that blank area under the breadboard and put a prototype area there.. board shouldnt cost any more, and you could still put a breadboard there, but if you wanted to make stuff perment, it would be nice to have a area, like the sx-48 protoboard where you could put a 20 pin chip or 2
    dan
    edited 2006-08-02 03:37
    Sawmiller said...
    one thing i hope you will consider , for the next batch of boards, would be to take that blank area under the breadboard and put a prototype area there.. board shouldnt cost any more, and you could still put a breadboard there, but if you wanted to make stuff perment, it would be nice to have a area, like the sx-48 protoboard where you could put a 20 pin chip or 2
    dan

Yes, that is under consideration.

You are wrong about board costs. Per square inch costs are based upon a density of a maximum of 50 holes per square inch. Because of the servo connectors and resistor bridge holes we are already paying a 'premium' for extra holes. Prototyping areas is the highesy density, 100 holes per square inch and would add some, possibly significant costs. remember these holes have to be drilled, it takes time and is wear and tear on equipement.

I have given Mark some ideas of where I would like to go with rev 2, it involves cutting back to 16 servo connectors, adding extra EEPROM in the pin 28-29 I2C buss, maybe a video connector and a One-Wire connector on pins 24-27, and both of us have been thinking along the lines of maybe chopping the board down a bit and then maybe add a header that could accept add-on boards to use pins 0-7. THAT, would cut the board cost.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.wulfden.org/k107/
    edited 2006-08-02 15:03
    I had some feedback from a PRC builder last night. I have been thinking about it and it makes sense to me, I thought I would bounce it around here a bit before I roder more parts for the remaining boards.

Currently I have supplied 3 sticks of 36 single rown of .100 spaced pins to be cut into strips of 4 and three sets of four are places side by side to make a bank of four servo connectors. I propose to supply a stick of 40 double rows of pins to be cut up into 13 double rows of 3 pins (3x2) (I supply the 14th already cut to 3x2) My correspondant felt it was far easier to install it in that matter. I have done a lot of work with pin headers single and double row this last three-four months and I am very much inclined to agree.

What do you guys think? Should I switch the parts kit to reflect this???

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.wulfden.org/k107/
    edited 2006-08-02 15:42
    Brian:
    · I kind of like the board the way it is.· It makes for massiv servo controller that's inexpensive, and expandable.· Currently, 6 resistors, a 4bit dip, and a PCA9536 (4 bit GPIO chip) and you can add a readable I2C address to the board, making it chainable for 16 such boards.· You can see the idea in the attached picture.
    MHO on the soldering:· WHat I have done in the past is to stick the header row upside down into a breadboard, set the pcb in place and solder.· It makes no difference to me about the way you ship the pins.

attachment.php?attachmentid=42726

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

1038 x 388 - 23K
  • Kenny GardnerKenny Gardner Posts: 169
    edited 2006-08-02 19:13
    I'd like to see the hole spacing changed so that you can just use one long strip of headers instead of having to cut them into 4 pin sections.

By the way, the boards mount perfectly with the Lynxmotion SES carriers. I've got one mounted on my Lynxmotion BRAT.

Pictures shortly.

Kenny

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Kenny Gardner

GAP Development Company

http://www.gapdev.com/
  • kerrywkerryw Posts: 61
    edited 2006-08-02 19:44
    I agree, longers strips would be easier. I 'almost' started soldering last night, but looked at all the cutting and decided against it.

Kerry
  • Rob7Rob7 Posts: 275
    edited 2006-08-02 21:47
    KK,

Can u elaborate on your 4 bit address select robot controller ?

Rob7
    edited 2006-08-02 21:48
    Kenny Gardner said...
    I'd like to see the hole spacing changed so that you can just use one long strip of headers instead of having to cut them into 4 pin sections.

By the way, the boards mount perfectly with the Lynxmotion SES carriers. I've got one mounted on my Lynxmotion BRAT.

Pictures shortly.

Kenny

You will notice that that was the case in the prototype. What you all do not realize that Mark and I found out the hard way ... is that when they are all in a row, once you get 4 connectors on side by side you cannot get the fifth or sixth on. The connectors are an rch too wide and by the time you have four in a row they flare out and foul the fifth and sixth. That is why Mark put the gap in there.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.wulfden.org/k107/
    edited 2006-08-03 03:38
    Rob:
    I plan on using several of these boards, using the 30/31 pin pair for communication, and a simple address to select which board.
    The 4 bits are used to create an address, 0 ~ 15, which is read via the pca9536 i2c device, attached to the i2c buss, the some one the boot eeprom is on. (no extra pins). 28 servos per board, 16 boards... masiv servo controller, all done in spin, all done with the exact same code...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
  • Rob7Rob7 Posts: 275
    edited 2006-08-03 03:50
    KK,

Wow !

Thanks for the info. That is impressive. Please show pics of your progress ?

Rob7
  • SawmillerSawmiller Posts: 276
    edited 2006-08-03 10:59
    heres a idea for the prototype board... have several holes bored at the edge of the prototype area, and when you want to go permenant... use header pins and their mating connectors with a generic prototype perfboard to make a daughter board
    .. would be hard to drill the holes prolly for someone after the board was populated thou... the headers would just function as standoffs. hmmm
  • FynchFynch Posts: 8
    edited 2006-08-04 00:43
    Hey,

Surprised I'm not alone as an ExpressPCB user... If you dont mind, I'd like to use some parts of this design but make it more for a wearable computer style system.

There are a few differences but once it's finished I'll post my version...
    edited 2006-08-04 02:39
    Yes, longer strips are easier to solder in place. Attaching 12 servos that are slightly wider than the .100" spacing is difficult. smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - W. Edwards Deming
  • Russ FergusonRuss Ferguson Posts: 206
    edited 2006-08-04 03:16
    I finished assembling my board and thought that I would·post the substitutions that I made.
    ·
    I opted to use some 16 pin machine sockets in place of female strips Brian provided for J17 through J24.· 1/8 watt resistor leads fit in the machine sockets very nicely and I can use a component carrier when the time comes.·The resistors and component carriers would also work in the female sockets but chips sockets provide a lower profile (but also cover the numbers that are printed on the circuit board).
    ·
    Brian mentioned that I suggested using dual pin headers instead of single. I found that I could get the pins·perpendicular to the board a little faster with the dual strips than with single.
    290 x 272 - 31K
    304 x 383 - 33K
    831 x 918 - 132K
    1106 x 572 - 112K
    edited 2006-08-04 04:06
    Awesome!

Yes, I have used the machine sockets too on my prototypes.

I never thought about the dual pins.

I'm so glad people are enjoying the new board. turn.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - W. Edwards Deming
    edited 2006-08-04 17:25
    I just posted an updated Builders Notes with some of Russ' pix added along with more commentary.

www.wulfden.org/PRC/

Some of you guys have to have buitl your by now ... come let's see some pix.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.wulfden.org/k107/
    edited 2006-08-11 21:01
    Russ Ferguson, sent me a Power Point document where he took photographs of the board and annotated them showing pin outs, jumper setting etc. It is a great guide to the PRC. I cleaned it up a bit and ran it through Acrobat to produce a 2.9MB PDF file that is linked on the PRC website in the section on Documentation.

www.wulfden.org/PRC/

I got busy this afternoon with the bandsaw and was cutting up a lot of various connectors for a number of my projects and kind of got into a groove cutting double row .100 pin headers into 2x3's ... as a result anyone buying a complete PRC kit during the next week or so will get the servo connectors as 14 2x3's already cut up (its sooooo much easier with a good bandsaw!!). I have built up a PRC board yesterday with the 2x3's and it is a lot easier, the two wide arrangement sets flatter and and can be held straight much more easily while catching the first pin with the soldering iron.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.wulfden.org/k107/