Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How's It Going? - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

How's It Going?

13»

Comments

• parskoparsko Posts: 501
    edited 2006-05-13 21:49
    I'm so happy that you guys mentioned, and began to devolop SD card datalogging periph's!!! That is something I would like to add to my project at some point. Will you post code? What is the FAT file concern? Can the 16file deal be overcome?

-Parsko
  • cocokiwicocokiwi Posts: 75
    edited 2006-05-14 06:02
    Kaos Kidd said...
    Connections to a SD card...

http://www.kingmax.com/product/storage/KDxxxSC.pdf

ONly 1 thing... no file system. Now, if you create your own, it's not an issue... BUT...
    If you want to be able to xfer the contents between PC's and the uController, you will need to either devise and read FAT 12/16/32 or HACK out a method

····· You CAN!·· Hence the Name! yeah.gif

···· the device is FAT compliant! Fat 12/16/32 support
    ···· open 4 files at the same time using file handles
    ···· fast startup and media reconnect
    ···· Fast file write average 60kbytes/Sec
    ···· no SD lic needed
    ···· 10 bit ADC
    ···· RTC (can add external Battery)
    ···· low power 10ma
    ···· 3 x power modes
    ···· ALL I/O 5v tolerant
    ···· only problem is if you put it in a PRODUCT..then you get LIC from MS
    ···· as the software is MS FAT copyright. But as far as experimenting no problemshocked.gif

···· this is a nice little module. $39.95 add $11.x· for Fedex ground...saelig only uses Fedex!

···· the device will read and write RAW data or MS fat format!

···· I have a new device coming that is not avalible in the US as yet,·I have pictures of it from Down under.
    ···· It is a USB to Ser device, very compact, small and plugs DIRECTLY into a development board,it is VERY
    ···· timely in that it has onboard 3.3v 100ma power as well as 5v 500ma which suits the Pchip well!
    ···· I had brought the mini USB device earlier and noted it,s benefit to the Stamp world,but there were things
    ··· ·missing,like it did not have DTR or RTS/CTS..
    ···· I directly got to chat via e-mail and phone to the designer of this device.this lead to this new version!

···· It has 5v two pins· 3.3 v 1 pin· TX RX·· 2 pins DTR·1 pin·RTS/CTS 1 pin and uses the same USB mini socket as the USBTOSER.
    ··· ·All this is mounted to the USB socket...
    ··· ·I like it because it is less prone to be pulled out if someone yanked a cable,rather the plug than the whole thing and is a quick
    ····· usable device when you need something NOW with the Pchip! and don't have a 3.3v supply handy.
    ····· The only thing one needs to do right now is make up the RES pulse transistor for· the DTR .RX and TX are 3.3v outputs.
    ····· Note the one with the connector(ala USBTOSER) that is for the LCD displays that he has also,1.5" more on this later!

··· Enjoy· Dennis

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    http://people.delphiforums.com/cocokiwi/Image/picture.jpg

Post Edited (cocokiwi) : 5/14/2006 7:30:30 AM GMT
    260 x 210 - 4K
    1447 x 793 - 196K
    971 x 923 - 134K
    1005 x 839 - 128K
    1529 x 877 - 204K
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-05-14 07:58
    The SD cards are really becoming the hacker's RAM of choice - huge capacity and lots of flexibilty.

I already have more SD cards than I use. Between buying a Camera, a PDA, a Chinese-English dictionary; I have been given smaller ones as promo and had to upgrade to bigger ones. My largest is one-half gigabyte.

Having only 4 files open on the smaller cards is not really an issue for microprocessor hobby work as usually one is enough [noparse][[/noparse]the whole SDcard].

The uALFAT-SD unit [noparse][[/noparse]www.ghielectronics.com] is one of the best for Parallax products.
    Others may require actually writing driver code in C or some form of Assembler to interface as they have their own microprocessor they are touting.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-05-14 09:52
    Kramer said...
    Having only 4 files open on the smaller cards is not really an issue for microprocessor hobby work as usually one is enough [noparse][[/noparse]the whole SDcard].

That wasn't 4 files in total, but 4 files at the same time...
    That means you can have as many as you want(within the constraints of the FAT 16 system)

Constraints, as I learned them:

1. Max 65536 allocation-units, which is also the max total files allowed.

2. If using the 8.3 naming-conventions, you may have a total of 512 files in the root.

3. folders/catalogs are handled as files, and while they detract from the 512 max, they themselves does not have any max limit to files in them.

4. Long filenames should have been grounds for execution...
    ANY file with a long name takes up AT LEAST 3 FAT slots(of the 512 if placed in the root)
    1 for a 'shortened' name compatible with older DOS programs.
    and 2 or more to fit the 'long' name, in chunks of 11 characters.
    Where 'long' filenames are allowed, FAT16 is often called VFAT, but it's still the same mess...

Me?
    I still can't figure out how M$ managed to get that patent as the FAT12/FAT16/FATWhatever is just a scaled up version of the disk formats used on CP/M machines...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • kerrywkerryw Posts: 61
    edited 2006-05-15 02:42
    cocokiwi said - "Note the one with the connector(ala USBTOSER) that is for the LCD displays that he has also,1.5" more on this later!"

I believe I have this 1.5" LCD display (the uLCD?). I just got it working with the Propeller chip tonight. It is VERY easy to setup as it is a 3.3 volt device, with a 5 volt backlight. I got all the functionality of text, circles, rects etc fairly quickly. For fun today I added a semaphore so I can have multiple cogs using the same display turn.gif . I have one cog writing the value of a variable as it goes from 1 to 1000, while another draws lines and another draws rectangles. The display isn't lightning fast, but it is suprisingly quick. The uLCD II will probably be faster, especially for strings as it will accept an entire string with one call, rather than one char at a time.

I'm really liking this Propeller.

Kerry
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2006-05-15 03:25
    From what I understand M$ does not patent the FAT file system (or if they do they do not enforce it).
    But they do have a patent (and do·enforce it)·on use of long file names.
    This is why my SD datalogger does not use long file names.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

COMING SOON "SD DATA LOGGER" www.sddatalogger.com

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Mythbusters
    ·
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-05-15 03:38
    If that's the case I'll use 8.3 names too -- far more convenient.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    edited 2006-05-15 05:26
    You just added that uALFAT unit to my buy list for the Propeller.
    Obviously the Propeller was a paradigm shift, but with all the added resources in such a small packet it is a 'quantum leap' forward too. I can have a Video Terminal using rs-232 with mass storage on a SDcard.

It just keeps getting better.

I suspect the short names were a 'public domain legacy' from CPM.
    Not having long names is really a small detail as they really seem to clutter my life more than help it.
    They make searches have to work harder too.
    Root and tree are central to good housekeeping.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan

Post Edited (Kramer) : 5/15/2006 5:29:10 AM GMT
    edited 2006-05-15 12:22
    Hey Kaos Kidd,
    The uALFAT is excellent, but while eating dinner and walking the dog I realized that Jon feels it can all be done in software on the Propeller. It will take more pins [noparse][[/noparse]the uALFAT is SPI or IC2], but one $25 chip might do it all.
    Should I really spend another $40 for this?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2006-05-15 13:57
    The details of properly keeping a valid directory structure are complicated. Do you want to devote most of a Propellor's memory to doing this? Bean has chosen to take some shortcuts that are reasonable for many applications where the issue is to log data to a file and have it readable on a PC. The uALFAT is cheap enough, small enough, and takes little enough power that it will be better for almost any application to use that rather than do it on the Propellor.
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2006-05-15 14:16
    Bean is correct, MS only owns the patent on long filenames, they tried to get more, but were rejected. However they try to imply through thier liscensing department that you need a liscense to use any form of FAT, they just dont have the goods to sue you unless you use long filenames in the manner they do. A few years ago they tried to extend the term by filing another application with minor modifications (I was the examiner), I used thier original against them and showed thier additions were too trival to warrent another patent and they (eventually) backed down.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    1+1=10

Post Edited (Paul Baker) : 5/15/2006 2:19:58 PM GMT
    edited 2006-05-15 17:10
    Kramer said...
    Hey Kaos Kidd,
    The uALFAT is excellent, but while eating dinner and walking the dog I realized that Jon feels it can all be done in software on the Propeller. It will take more pins [noparse][[/noparse]the uALFAT is SPI or IC2], but one $25 chip might do it all.
    Should I really spend another $40 for this?

Kramer,
    It has Rs232 also,you can hook it up with a USB to serial and talk to it with a Term program

SO! you can program the ASCII into the prop easly, one do it with a Serial LCD so why do one need to spend more?It has built in
    firmware that allows one to use it this way,what more do you need,They will write you a new firmware @ $65 hr 25 hr,s MIN!(grin)

Dennis

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2006-05-15 17:20
    Yeah, I think both reasonable options, actually. To do basic reading and writing of files using 8.3 file names in the root directory really takes very little code, and the Propeller can do it pretty easy, I think, so if you want to build a bunch of cheap things, the Propeller alone is fine. But if you want to provide complex navigation of directory structures, and read/write multiple files concurrently, and stuff like that, and don't want to learn all the details, using a separate external chip should work fine too. It's all a question of tradeoffs.

Personally, for me, all I need is reading/writing 8.3 from the root, so I'm going to put together my own SW solution.
  • Kaos KiddKaos Kidd Posts: 614
    edited 2006-05-15 18:28
    Kramer:
    I think rokicki said it best. It's a bunch of tradeoffs, and its the project at hand that will really drive it home.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Just tossing my two bits worth into the bit bucket

KK
    ·
  • Paul Sr.Paul Sr. Posts: 435
    edited 2006-05-15 21:23
    Hi,

I am lagging behind all you folks, but finally going in the right direction! New development system is built and running fine so I get to play with my Propeller!

I have assembled my PropStick and successfully run "Alive!" and single / double led / cog programs. Works fine.

I cannot for the life of me get anything to output video (composite). It's a bit confusing with the various video / graphics "demos" - not really sure anymore which one should work! The "TV" versions (which won't compile without adding a parameter) and the "graphics" ones do nothing.

Now, I am not blaming anything or anyone - I would like to get a program that is KNOWN to work so I can determine if I have a hardware (PC Video card) issue. It used to work, but haven't used the composite in for a while.

I wired up the 3 resistor composite jack attached to pins 12,13,14 of the Prop - which program can I use as a "stake in the ground"?

Thanks for the help.

Paul

ANYONE HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS????

Post Edited (pwssr) : 5/16/2006 2:54:14 PM GMT
  • Mike CookMike Cook Posts: 829
    edited 2006-05-15 21:29
    Try this:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=585889

it worked for me.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike
  • jammajamma Posts: 33
    edited 2006-05-15 21:40
    For a SD card socket with breakout board, have a look at:

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=204
    rokicki said...
    Actually that's one of the things on my project list, to do a FAT16 reader initially and then writer for an SD card.

Of course it will be abstracted out so there's a getblock()/putblock() call at the low level and open/read/write/close
    at the top.

And then there's the I/O. SPI mode initially and maybe later SD 4-bit mode.

My real problem is finding a socket for the things.

On the other hand I hate to duplicate other people's efforts.
  • Paul Sr.Paul Sr. Posts: 435
    edited 2006-05-15 23:06
    Mike Cook said...
    Try this:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=585889

it worked for me.

Thanks - I had found that one! Still on the hunt!

Paul
    edited 2006-05-16 15:59
    OK... I found this link, after MUCH searching on programming the SD's. This explains the cmd's needed to access the SD directly...

http://www.cs.ucr.edu/~amitra/sdcard/ProdManualSDCardv1.9.pdf

Google is your friend... tempermental at times, but a friend nevertheless

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

KK
    ·
    edited 2006-05-16 18:58
    Kaos Kidd said...
    OK... I found this link, after MUCH searching on programming the SD's. This explains the cmd's needed to access the SD directly...

http://www.cs.ucr.edu/~amitra/sdcard/ProdManualSDCardv1.9.pdf

Google is your friend... tempermental at times, but a friend nevertheless

·· here is the Manuals for the AFAT SD device and the Machine lang Library C++ etc,etc

·· yeah.gif

·· Cheers Dennis

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2006-05-17 00:45
    CoCOkiwi... I'v read thoes manuals sooo many times... [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

KK
    ·