Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
How's It Going? — Parallax Forums

How's It Going?

Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
edited 2006-05-17 00:45 in Propeller 1
The manual must be good (a tribute to Jeff), as it's been pretty quiet here since we released the Propeller Tool.· So what's happening, folks, any cool programs or·code snippets·to share yet?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Jon Williams
Applications Engineer, Parallax

Comments

• GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-05-03 15:55
    I don't know about everyone else, but I'm waiting for two things...

1. A package from Parallax...

2. Chapter 3 of the manual...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • Mike CookMike Cook Posts: 829
    edited 2006-05-03 16:11
    1. Waiting on Parallax package so I can·test my Home Brew Demo Board with·BlinkLed.spin!

2. Playing with ExpressPCB laying out a hobby board for the Propeller.

3. Skimmed through the manuals, but can't get focused with out a chip!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike
  • parskoparsko Posts: 501
    edited 2006-05-03 16:15
    It takes a little time to read and comprehend 258 pages of text. I'm only up to "case" (very cool!) and I'm already confused and impressed, at once. Thus far, Jeff has done a very nice job of it. There are some concepts I am not so sure about, but should be grounds for another post (many many more). Though, these things should be common when a new paradigm has evolved.

-Parsko
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2006-05-03 16:52
    My mistake, I thought several had chips in hand.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    edited 2006-05-03 16:58
    Well mail person arrived!

1. Can F7 using my Home Brew Demo Board·and the USB2SER!

2. Can't F7 using the descrete programmer, will debug that later.

3. Can BlinkLed.spin stand alone mode!

So what I have here is a·working Home Brew Demo Board that·can be programmed with the USB2SER and can run standalone, so that means the EEPROM is wired correctly!

Cool! now to do the May N&V article!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike

Post Edited (Mike Cook) : 5/3/2006 5:01:48 PM GMT
    edited 2006-05-03 16:59
    I'm not sure if I posted this code before so I'll do it here -- it's a timer object that runs in its own cog.· While working on the program Chip showed me some Spin tricks that really make the code lean and mean.· Fore example, this line of code:

· tix[noparse][[/noparse]reg] := ||value // lookupz(reg : 1000, 60, 60, 24, posx)

was:

· case reg
    ··· 0 : tix := ||value // 1000
    ··· 1 : scs := ||value // 60
    ··· 2 : mns := ||value // 60
    ··· 3 : hrs := ||value // 24
    ··· 4 : dys := ||value

Cool, huh?· Like with any language, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
  • Kaos KiddKaos Kidd Posts: 614
    edited 2006-05-03 17:04
    Jon...
    Well, lets see... I just completed my 2nd Digi Key order for more stuff (Oh heck, the Mrs is gonna get mad... but what the heck!)...
    I've got 1 program in mind that will demonstrate the power of true parallel processing...
    The maunal is great...
    Man, I cant wait until my dev board is completed!...
    (You guys are awesome!)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Just tossing my two bits worth into the bit bucket

KK
    ·
    edited 2006-05-03 17:06
    What she doesn't know won't hurt you... wink.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    edited 2006-05-03 17:18
    Well the May N&V article works!

Now to rig up some resistors to play with· TV.SPIN!

Having a BLAST!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike
    edited 2006-05-03 17:19
    What, you thought I'd give you bogus code?... wink.gif

I'm working on 1-Wire stuff today; had to set it aside for some other projects -- today's the day to make it work!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    edited 2006-05-03 17:22
    Ooooohhhh, the Mrs is gonna get mad... Another $55.00 at Digi Key... thats over $80 in the two weeks... I better get her some flowers! LOL...
    And I still need the pcb and some servos! I'm getting there... [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

KK
    ·
    edited 2006-05-03 17:29
    No, just means I can replicate your work with my 'half of brain' cell that I have! tongue.gif

BTY: It's been a very productive 30 minutes since my Propellers arrived, I think I need a beer to celebrate!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike

Post Edited (Mike Cook) : 5/3/2006 5:34:03 PM GMT
    edited 2006-05-03 17:43
    Sweet! this works too!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike
    1393 x 1070 - 374K
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,547
    edited 2006-05-03 18:35
    Mike,

With the graphics demo.... If you have a Mouse plugged in, you can move the cross-hair in the middle.

You can also Pause or throw "Snowballs" with the mouse buttons!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2006-05-03 18:45
    1-wire?

Cool...
    I need 1-wire for my car-computer project...
    (I'll use them as electronic door-keys)
    I think I've figured out how to detect an iButton with the Propeller running at 1COG@20KHz(using Assembly), but implementing the entire 1-Wire protocol is a bit daunting...
    (I've implemented a minimum version of it on my PDA, but there I 'cheated' and used a DS2480-based adapter)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
  • inakiinaki Posts: 262
    edited 2006-05-03 18:51
    Where is the ultimate schematics posted some time ago for using Propeller with a USB2SER ?

Is the Propeller clip shown in manual page 1-5 equivalent to a USB2SER ?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2006-05-03 18:51
    Beau,

I've got a PS/2 mouse jack but no PS/2 mouse handy right now. OOPS forgot about all the old stuff buried in the garage! I'll need to put my beer down and go 'brave' the garage, there must be a PS/2 mouse out there some where!

Right now having too much fun watching the Propeller composite output!

I need to work out a deal with Bean. I'll bet he can do some nifty overlay code using the Propeller.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike
    edited 2006-05-03 20:14
    Pop over to Tanners, Mike, I'm sure they have them.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
  • Pezi_Pink!Pezi_Pink! Posts: 32
    edited 2006-05-03 20:27
    Kaos Kidd said...
    Well, lets see... I just completed my 2nd Digi Key order for more stuff (Oh heck, the Mrs is gonna get mad... but what the heck!)...
    I've got 1 program in mind that will demonstrate the power of true parallel processing...

Will the demo which "demonstrates the power of true parallel processing" be impressive enough to convince the Mrs of a worthy investment ? Maybe she'll get one too! [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Back on topic, I'm going to call the distributor tomorrow and pray that A)They have a load of Propellers and that B)They saved a few for me like they said they would!

I suppose I will just re-read these docs for now..

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beware the pink squirrel!
    edited 2006-05-03 20:37
    Jon,

I've got a Mini-Tanner's in my garage! Besides BGMICRO is closer, need to get off my butt and go scavenge around in the garage for some simple hardware!

Since I've got the Propeller up and running it's now time to dive down into the documentation & forums to experiment with some of the knowledge that has been provided.

It's been a banner day today, May 3, 2006:

1. 20th wedding anniversary today (May 3, 1986)!

2. Pool people are out starting the 'Big Dig'! (my wife's 20th anniversary present)

3. Propellers showed up today! (my birthday present from 03-30-06)

4. Big box of goodies from www.allelectronics.com also arrived.

5. Notification of the arrival of 2200 GPS receivers + 1100 Active GPS antennas!

I'm a happy boy today!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike
    edited 2006-05-03 21:26
    Geemony... how can you contain yourself? Sounds like the perfect day.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
  • parskoparsko Posts: 501
    edited 2006-05-03 21:38
    Jon, you could say that it is going quite well here at my house.

The guinea pig (me) has been successful at loading Example 1 into EEPROM and running independently of all but power. My only complaint is if you will warranty my keyboard, as it has suffered from soldering iron rash, not PS2 though... [noparse]:)[/noparse]) The feeling is similar to that of taking a poop after a night of heavy partying!!! Sorry, but that one has been a long time coming.

It's bedtime in Europe, and I can sleep tight knowing my Propeller chip will not FRY when I turn the power on for the first time, or the next time, or the next time............

Thanks for the help so far!

-Parsko
    edited 2006-05-03 21:57
    As the European (Austrian) who is the Governor our our state (California) might say, "Don't be a girly-man, stay up all night!"· The truth is I've been napping a lot on weekends because my weekdays of fun have many long hours.· I'm excited the Propellers are making their way into the hands of the coolest customers in the world and I can't wait to see what this group comes up with.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2006-05-03 23:35
    Best subject line of an email for a long time: Your Parallax Order Has Been Shipped

Now to pester the mailman.
  • FORDFORD Posts: 221
    edited 2006-05-03 23:37
    Hello Jon,

Would love to see the 1wire stuff when you are done,

I'm about to post a bit of keypad code, hope it helps someone.

Cheers

Chris
    edited 2006-05-04 10:52
    Mike Cook said...

2. Can't F7 using the descrete programmer, will debug that later.

Went back and checked the discrete programmer, this time it worked without any issues.

Ended up using a different serial port. Originally used one of the serial ports on my Edgeport/4, this has worked with all other Parallax Products in the past (Stamps, Javelin, & SX Key), used a generic FTDI biased USB to serial adapter connected to the discrete programmer.

The Propeller Tool can 'Identify' & 'Program' the chip with out any problems.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Mike

Post Edited (Mike Cook) : 5/4/2006 11:10:21 AM GMT
    1509 x 1393 - 641K
    edited 2006-05-04 13:47
    The parts for my Home made dev board arrived... So I started that last night, AFTER making dinner, delivering flowers and some other little things for the Mrs...· Only to relize I forgot the PS2, VGA, RCA connectors.· The board is ready for testing... so, I'll be among the DIYers soon enough...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

KK
    ·
  • WurlitzerWurlitzer Posts: 237
    edited 2006-05-04 13:48
    Jon Williams (Parallax) said...

I'm not sure if I posted this code before so I'll do it here -- it's a timer object that runs in its own cog.· While working on the program Chip showed me some Spin tricks that really make the code lean and mean.· Fore example, this line of code:

· tix[noparse][[/noparse]reg] := ||value // lookupz(reg : 1000, 60, 60, 24, posx)

was:

· case reg
    ··· 0 : tix := ||value // 1000
    ··· 1 : scs := ||value // 60
    ··· 2 : mns := ||value // 60
    ··· 3 : hrs := ||value // 24
    ··· 4 : dys := ||value

Cool, huh?· Like with any language, there is more than one way to skin a cat.

You guys are slick and its going to take a few days (at least) to get my head around this.
    ·I know I am an old fogey but upon an initial reading the single line code is cryptic and certainly not self documenting.· However, if it executes faster then great I would trade self documenting for speed any day and just add in my own comments.
    Is there any decrease/increase in execution time?
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,547
    edited 2006-05-04 14:28
    Mike Cook,

..."Went back and checked the discrete programmer, this time it worked without any issues."...

..."The Propeller Tool can 'Identify' & 'Program' the chip with out any problems."...

I'm glad you got everything working.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2006-05-04 15:43
    Well, I have been into a slow start.
    The chips arrived last Sunday, but I've been bogged down with buying missing parts and my own lack of information from not keeping up with the Forum.

I am certainly happy that the 'discrete programer' [noparse][[/noparse]aka Beau's 3 Transistor design / first version] is working as I cannot get any MAX3232 without placing a second order at Spark Fun [noparse][[/noparse]Mouser is backordered that item for 5 weeks].

I intend to try Chip's two transitor version first -- just because it seems that much less work to think about.
    As I said before, I tend to get dyslexic with discrete transistors. I suspect many of us do.

I have everything in place except the Programing interface [noparse][[/noparse]including +5 and +3.3 supply, so I may have a confirmation tonight [noparse][[/noparse]the 'Identify & Program' routine] or in the next few days. [noparse][[/noparse]I have a busy work schedule tomorrow].

I am using a 4mHz crystal as I have yet to get the 5mHz, but apparently the serial interface for download of programing is not dependent on it being any set frequency.

For all the late comers, Mike Cook has been the earliest to start with the proto-board and an endless source of good insight.

Think I will also print out Chapter Four tonight. That should keep me up until 3am.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "When all think alike, no one is thinking very much.' - Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

······································································ Warm regards,····· G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse]·黃鶴 ]·in Taiwan