Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Reading Valentine V1 data string — Parallax Forums

Reading Valentine V1 data string

ChetChet Posts: 150
edited 2006-05-24 01:59 in BASIC Stamp
I have a BS2P and would like to read the data string from my Valentine V1 radar detector and save it with the coordinates from my GPS.

I need some help with the V1 data string (see attachemnt)

All help will be highly appreciated.

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-12-21 17:15
    Hmmm ... that looks very interesting.· As a guy who's· graduated from the Skip Barber Racing School, I love the Valentine 1 (on my third -- the first two were stolen).·

It seems like the V1 is just streaming out a series of bits that correspond to what's on the display.· It may be a little tricky using a BASIC Stamp to decode this stream; it's similar to decoding an IR stream where pulse width indicates value.· In this case, a "0" bit starts a little later than a "1" bit.· From a pseudo-code point-of-view, I think it goes like this:

Read_V1_Stream:
    · Wait_For_11ms_Idle
    · FOR bitsIn = 0 TO 38
    ··· Wait_For_Line_To_Drop
    ··· Wait_251uS
    ··· v1Stream(bitsIn) = V1_Input_Line
    ··· IF (V1_Input_Line = 0) THEN Wait_For_Input_is_High
    · NEXT
    · RETURN

This may be an easier project to create with a SX-based co-processor using SX/B.· With a co-processor you could reassemble the bits into a more friendly set of values for the BASIC Stamp to use.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office

Post Edited (Jon Williams) : 12/21/2004 5:16:38 PM GMT
  • ChetChet Posts: 150
    edited 2004-12-22 02:35
    Thanks for your quick feedback.· I am new at the "stamp" hoby, although I have dome a lot of hardware design as a hobby.· I have looked at something like an SX co-processor, but that would mean getting the Basic compiler to go with it, unless...... there is someone out there that would be willing to help and program one for me·when the code is worked out.

There is always the option of just logging any trigger from the V1 and combining the GPS information with the fact that there was a radar detected at those coordinates.

Any further suggestions are welcome.

Regards
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-12-22 03:04
    You must have missed the news: the SX IDE now has a free BASIC compiler! You can read all about it on our web site.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office
  • Jason HiltonJason Hilton Posts: 3
    edited 2006-05-24 01:59
    Sorry, I know this topic is ancient, but it's allways better to reply then to start a new one.
    I have a sheet with a bit more info, I got from a guy on the V1 forums.
    I love the V1 and I have been trying to do this with my BS2, but to interface with a LCD instead, instead of a GPS.
    Unfortunently, I don't know where to start, hopefully this pdf will help.

Post Edited (Jason Hilton) : 5/24/2006 2:06:12 AM GMT