Propeller 1 Wiring
AIman Posts: 531
in Propeller 1
Hey y'all - (Did I do that right?)
I am looking for only wiring information on how to wire multiple Prop 1s together and on how to wire in external 512k memory.
Note - I have optoisolators that will be utulized to protect my Propeller chips.
This is not about coding, and its not about advanced circuitry, this is only how to wire multiple Propeller 1 together and how to wire 512k memory chips into each Propeller. Currently looking at 3-5 Propellers and each will have at least 2 512k for additional memory.
If you know how to wire these things please let me know. Any help is greatly appreciated.
You can link them with opto's and use RS232 to talk prop to prop
What kind of RAM you want to use? 2 times 512K eats a lot of pins.
Another thing to consider is using a common clock for all propeller, not needed, but would allow for faster communication between them.
As for programming Catalina C supports external RAM, just check with @RossH what sort of RAM is supported, but on the P1 you might run out of pins.
Anyways, good luck, it is doable
One good resource for multiple props would be the Tetra-Prop, a quad prop array on a board about 2"*2". May take some digging since it showed up a few forum incarnations ago. Possibly also search for some threads for prop to prop comms for the Tetra-Prop.
Couldn't locate it...
Links are dead:
you might find this interesting..
from the ever inventive and productive cluso99... (Ray Rodrick)
and an OS
Also RossH has developed the following..... https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/175349/so-what#latest
● Compatible with any Propeller 1 or 2 platform that supports Catalina and has an SD card available (e.g. Hydra, Hybrid, TriBladeProp, RamBlade, DracBlade, C3, P2_EVAL, P2_EDGE);
● Support for SPIN or Catalina CMM (Compact Memory Mode) or LMM (Large Memory Mode) programs on any supported Propeller 1 platform;
● Support for SMM (SDCARD Memory Mode) and EMM (EEprom Mode) on the Propeller 1, which maximizes the memory available to Catalina CMM and LMM programs on any supported Propeller 1 platform;
● Support for Catalina CMM, LMM or NMM (Native Memory Mode) programs on any supported Propeller 2 platform;
● Support for Catalina XMM (External Memory Mode) programs on any supported Propeller 1or Propeller 2 platform equipped with external XMM RAM (e.g. Hybrid, TriBladeProp, RamBlade, DracBlade, C3, P2_EVAL, P2_EDGE);
● Support for multi-CPU platforms (e.g. TriBladeProp);
● Support for serial, TV or VGA Human Machine Interface on any supported Propeller 1 or Propeller 2 platform;
● Provides familiar SD card file management commands (e.g. ls, cp, mv, rm, mkdir, rmdir);
● Provides the vi full-screen text editor (requires a VT100 compatible terminal emulator if used with a serial HMI);
● Supports self-hosted Propeller development (in Pascal, Basic and Lua) on the Propeller 1 and Propeller 2;
● Supports self-hosted Propeller development (in C) on the Propeller 2;
● Supports Lua scripting – Lua scripts can be executed directly from the command line;
● Supports passing command line parameters to both C programs and Lua scripts and to SPIN or SPIN2 programs;
● Supports the YModem serial file transfer protocol, for transferring text and binary files between the Propeller and a PC;
● Supports auto-execution of command scripts on reboot and script execution from the command-line or from C or Lua;
to search for these hidden gems I started with
in the browser searchbar- its much better than using the parallax site navigator/search facility, and finds long lost posts no longer available.
This link works:
Sorry, I was referring to links in the thread messages.