Shop Learn P1 Docs P2 Docs
Universal Motor Driver - Dual wheel steering, motor control, and position tracking Objects for P2 — Parallax Forums

Universal Motor Driver - Dual wheel steering, motor control, and position tracking Objects for P2

I've just released v1.0.1 of our new BLDC Motor drivers.

Initial Public Release

BLDC Motor Driver with steering and position tracking.

• Full dual motor control of robotic platform using 6.5" hoverboard BLDC wheels from Parallax and their BLDC Motor control boards.

Initially, this is available from the releases section of the official repository (it may eventually be added to the p2 obex.)

There is a wealth of information at the project repository so please review the content of the first page as well as the "Additional pages" cited in the table of contents on the first page.

See the Add to your own project page for download and setup instructions.

If you want an easy low-cost platform for a two-wheeled bot (You saw the one I have in the video at one of our P2LFs) I have design files at the repo and, here in the US, you can order from Send-Cut-Send a ¼" thick MDF platform, laser-cut, with height spacers for wheels (to get the castors raised) all for under $35 shipped. The platform also has laser-cut mounting holes for the wheels, the castors, and the Mini-Edge Breakout board with motor boards attached.

From this point forward let's use the github repository issues page for reporting real issues with the use or requesting features. Let's use this forum thread for any general discussion of this capability.

I look forward to hearing what you think of the usability of the new steering and drive control interface for these objects.

Oh, and yes, a draft version of the FlySky R/C control of the platform is provided as one of the demos!

Have fun!

Comments

• Thanks for this. Hopefully I can find time for my project. I want to repower one of my antique garden tractors with a hoverboard motor.

• JRoarkJRoark Posts: 1,079

@propMaker said:
    I want to repower one of my antique garden tractors with a hoverboard motor.

Now THAT is a visual collage and mental whiplash all in one!
    Pictures or it never happened. :)

• Be patient for those pictures, lol. It's a Choremaster from the late 40's or 50's. The original engine was 2 hp. I have a 3 hp predator now. It's too light to get the power to the ground. So a hoverboard motor should be plenty.

• Stephen MoracoStephen Moraco Posts: 202
    edited 2022-04-28 07:34

... and we now have v1.1.0 of our new BLDC Motor drivers.

Minor Update

• Add emergency stop methods to isp_bldc_motor.spin2, and isp_steering_2wheel.spin2
    • Adjust spin-up ramp to start slower then speed up (better traction on loose surfaces but faster speed-up as well.)
    • Add demo FlySky control-mapping info to top-level README
    • Enable FlySky SwD as emergency stop!

currently, this is available from the releases section of the official repository (it will be added to the p2 obex.)

See the Add to your own project page for download and setup instructions.

For a quick review of the Motor and Steering interfaces see the page P2-BLDC-Motor-Control - Drive Objects.

I look forward to hearing what you think of the usability of these steering and drive control objects.

Have fun!

• NEW v2.0.0 of our new BLDC Motor drivers.

Update: Control your platform from mounted RPi via Serial

• Fixed issues with position tracking/reporting within isp_steering_2wheel.spin2
    • Adds a new Serial Top-Level object as the interface to the 2-wheel steering object.
      -- Drive your platform from RPi or Arduino (RPi example provided)

currently, this is available from the releases section of the official repository (it will be added to the p2 obex.)

(P2 Obex contains the v1.1.0 release at the moment.)

See the P2-BLDC-Motor-Control - Via Serial from RPi, Arduino, or... page for the system diagram, download, and setup instructions.

See YouTube Control our 2-wheel BLDC robot platform from an RPi for a demo of how the system works on my platform.

See The Authors' Test Platform for details of my platform.

For a quick review of the Serial Steering interface see the page Serial Interface of Steering Object.

I look forward to hearing what you think of this new capability.

Have fun!

• NEW v2.1.0 of our new BLDC Motor driver.

Update: Release initial support for the DocoEng.com smaller 24v 4,000 RPM motor

• This is the first release of support for the new motor offered by Parallax.com

Supported Motors

LEFT: 6.5" hub motor SKU 27860 | RIGHT: new smaller motor with DocoEng.com label. SKU 750-90020

Two additional .zip files are available from the Assets section of the release page:

• demo-archive-set.zip - both dual and single motor demo's with the full driver
    • serial-control-archive-set.zip - a smaller set of files necessary for an onboard Arduino/RPI controlling your motors via the serial interface.

See the Configuring the driver for your motor page for details about the available motors and how to select one in your code.

See the P2-BLDC-Motor-Control - Via Serial from RPi, Arduino, or... page for the system diagram, download, and setup instructions.

See YouTube Control our 2-wheel BLDC robot platform from an RPi for a demo of how the system works on my platform.

For a quick review of the Serial Steering interface see the page Serial Interface of Steering Object.

Have fun!

• hinvhinv Posts: 1,149

For the BLDC motor driver is there any way to disable that "protection diode" or an alternate drop in part that doesn't have it? I would like to experiment with dumping the back EMF into charging a secondary battery instead of wasting it through the "protection diode".

• ErNaErNa Posts: 1,702

Te protection diode doesn't dissipate the energy but feeds it back to the dc-link capacitor, so no need to try something else..

• Stephen MoracoStephen Moraco Posts: 202
    edited 2022-08-17 01:11

NEW v3.0.0 of our BLDC Motor driver.

Update: BUGFIX and Performance update for the DocoEng.com smaller 24v 4,000 RPM motor
    Fixed bug in PWM generation at higher RPMs
    Re-characterized DocoEng.com motor to allow higher RPMs (updated related doc's showing new RPM rates achieved)
    Updated motor rotation sense mechanism to properly detect slow rpm (less than 8 hall tics per second) speeds
    Driver should now work better at most propeller clock speeds. (Still needs 270MHz if using HDMI output - HDMI driver limit)

Two additional .zip files are available from the Assets section of the release page:

• demo-archive-set.zip - both dual and single motor demo's with the full driver
    • serial-control-archive-set.zip - a smaller set of files necessary for an onboard Arduino/RPI controlling your motors via the serial interface.

See the Configuring the driver for your motor page for details about the available motors and how to select one in your code.

Have fun!