Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller 2 Live Forum - Open learning and support (topics, speakers and registration!) - Page 19 — Parallax Forums

Propeller 2 Live Forum - Open learning and support (topics, speakers and registration!)

Comments

• VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,262
    edited 2023-01-09 07:28

Hi @hinv

I believe there was an HDMI and RCA solution.... I can share what I use as an HDMI solution:

I've used these two cards to make some P2 videos:

Chip mentioned the AverMedia didn't have Windows 8 drivers available that were compatible with his setup.
    I'm not convinced you need the AverMedia drivers for OBS, but mentioning it as something to check.

With the Mirabox I'm not aware of installing any drivers either, but maybe Windows handled that automagically :)

I've used (regularly use) both with OBS on Windows 10 and 11, streaming input from a video camera and directly from the P2 HDMI add-on. Both devices allow an HDMI monitor to be plugged in, so you can optionally view your HDMI source on a monitor whilst capturing at your PC.

• hinvhinv Posts: 1,252

@VonSzarvas It sounded to me like @cgracey was running the HDMI directly out of the "HD Video Converter" box he was using into his TV that was mounted vertically on his desk. I am looking to nearly duplicate his setup.

Thanks,
    Doug

• Maybe that was his setup with the RCA cables, coming out of the A/V Breakout board ? (Component Video?) Not sure... he'll be around in the week so I'm sure we'll find out :)

• @hinv said:
    Sorry if it is mentioned elsewhere, but I would like a link to where you got your HD Video Converter that works well.

This looks like Chip's convertor:
    https://amazon.com/dp/B08GPPR28P?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Or, Google this to find one outside of Amazon:
    Component to HDMI Adapter, YPbPr to HDMI Coverter, 5 RCA to HDMI Coverter, Supports 1080P Video Audio Converter Adapter HDMI V1.4 for DVD/PSP/Xbox360 to HDTV Monitor

When is the next Propeller 2 Live forum? The listed dates above are a bit confusing as there are no years on there, and the order is a bit jumbled.

• @hinv said:
    When is the next Propeller 2 Live forum? The listed dates above are a bit confusing as there are no years on there, and the order is a bit jumbled.

I agree that the management of the first post isn't working well for the group. I need to find somebody to take it over for me, as I can't make enough time to manage the Events page on www.parallax.com and this post. The housekeeping is a bit much.

I will try to recruit somebody to keep the first post current. If I can't do that, I'll make it clear that we need to go to the https://www.parallax.com/category/events/ for updated information by editing the first post.

Ken Gracey

• evanhevanh Posts: 15,091
    edited 2023-01-17 04:44

Component Video Resolutions supported: 480i/p(60Hz), 576i/p(50Hz), 720p(50/60Hz), 1080i/p(50/60Hz).
    Supports HDMI Output: 480P, 576P, 720P/60Hz, 1080P/60Hz.

The headline says it supports 4K but the specs say otherwise. How far have you tested it, Chip? And what about non-spec'd lower resolutions? eg: 960x540 and 1280x800.

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,131
    edited 2023-01-17 07:11

@evanh said:

Component Video Resolutions supported: 480i/p(60Hz), 576i/p(50Hz), 720p(50/60Hz), 1080i/p(50/60Hz).
    Supports HDMI Output: 480P, 576P, 720P/60Hz, 1080P/60Hz.

The headline says it supports 4K but the specs say otherwise. How far have you tested it, Chip? And what about non-spec'd lower resolutions? eg: 960x540 and 1280x800.

I haven't tested it that much.

Yes, it says 4k, but of course that doesn't mean anything. It would be very cool if it would permit 4k at 30Hz, or so, but there is NO analog approach to 4k out there. The analog signals would be fine, but it's only digital at that resolution.

• ke4pjwke4pjw Posts: 1,059
    edited 2023-01-25 20:07

I had a work conflict and missed the January live Forum but did watch the YouTube replay. I have a few comments:

I can't wait to integrate those fonts Chip is working on into my SSD1331 driver. I am sure that Jon wants to use it in his driver as well.

When the filesystem Chip is working on becomes available, I hope it has a way to integrate updating the boot code from within the P2.

Also, I love, love, love PropTool 2.9.2. The debug stuff is GREAT!

I am also glad the problem of performing a reset with the SD cards is also being talked about. While I know a lot of people have stated they don't "trust" SD cards to boot from, my light controller were built specifically with doing that in mind. From a end user perspective, it makes things easy. If things go wrong in the over the air updates, all a user has to do is pop the SD card in their computer and copy the files from the backup directory to the root of the SD card. No special tools or software required. They are now rolled back to the previous version. And if it all goes to hell, you can just download a zip and place the files on the SD card. Booting from SD works very well, BTW.

I would like to demo my over the air upgrades on the next LiveForum, if possible. Shouldn't take more than 15 minutes.

Also, also the work on PMUT looks amazing! Though I quit using Linux as my primary desktop in 2010, I am glad to see such development efforts.

The work that @Stephen Moraco is doing with Visual Studio Code looks amazing. If he can get the "language server" up and going, having full blown Intellisense would be cool! I had a couple of failed attempts at getting VSC to work with the Prop and flex. I will probably take another swing at it. To me it would seem better to have a Visual Studio Code plugin that uses PNUT than continuing to maintain and support PropTool, but that's just my $.02. (Especially in light of PMUT. CrossPlatform problems solved.)

All around fun stuff!

--Terry

PS: So sorry to hear about @"Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)"

@ke4pjw said:
    I had a work conflict and missed the January live Forum but did watch the YouTube replay. I have a few comments:

I usually download the video from youtube with youtube-dl.org, grabbing the highest res, for playing offline so I am not waiting for streaming when I move around in a video as it takes me a few takes on the more technical stuff, especially with interruptions. I usually don't have middle of the day available either, but when I do, it is more fun live.

Also, I love, love, love PropTool 2.9.2. The debug stuff is GREAT!
    Also, also the work on PMUT looks amazing! Though I quit using Linux as my primary desktop in 2010, I am glad to see such development efforts.

Yeah, this was really impressive. I've been working on a Windows7 laptop just to run debug, but now can abandon that mess. Yeah, PropTool swallowing PNUT is exciting, but now with PMUT, I don't think I will ever run it, especially with the detect change in source feature, which could really speed up the development cycle. Not having to run Windows is a relief , and with command line, I feel right at home. It almost sounded like @cgracey sounded excited to dump his delphi toolset for a more open one. One thing, I couldn't find pmut talked about on the forums, but I did get the url for the github off of the video:

https://github.com/BrianHoldsworth/pmut

The work that @Stephen Moraco is doing with Visual Studio Code looks amazing. If he can get the "language server" up and going, having full blown Intellisense would be cool! I had a couple of failed attempts at getting VSC to work with the Prop and flex. I will probably take another swing at it. To me it would seem better to have a Visual Studio Code plugin that uses PNUT than continuing to maintain and support PropTool, but that's just my $.02. (Especially in light of PMUT. CrossPlatform problems solved.)

Does this work on VSCodium or other open source alternatives (https://opensource.com/article/20/6/open-source-alternatives-vs-code) ? I won't run microsoft anything on my linux desktop or even servers in a VM if they can get to the internet and to my other systems. You could call me paranoid, but you probably didn't read the EULAs from them or been paying attention to what Bill Gates has been up to. I'm more used to emacs, but with the colorization I might be persuaded to switch over to an open source alternative to vscode.

PS: So sorry to hear about @"Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)"

Yeah, I was looking forward to what he was going to do with radio stuff on the P2 like he did with the P1. Sad to see yet another genius gone.

edited 2023-12-12 03:39

To answer @"Ken Gracey" 's question about what is missing from the Raspberry Pi to work with the P2?
    Interface specifications:
    USB to PropPlug (done already, obviously)
    low speed w/out USB -> 3 GPIO's out of the 40pin header
    high speed, low latency -> multi GPIO's for high speed https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/174806/high-speed-data-transfer-from-rpi-to-propeller2/p1
    Then services from the Pi:
    inputs (keyboard, mouse, joystick)
    file service to read and write files on pi rather than on P2 connected SD
    ram service to quickly read and wright mass memory
    task service to launch high computation power tasks to pi
    net service to connect to ethernet or wifi
    serial service to connect to serial port on GPIO or Bluetooth
    software specific services:
    email https://www.parallax.com/send-email-from-the-propeller-2-using-the-iot-gateway-on-raspberry-pi/
    web server https://www.parallax.com/web-page-control-of-ws2811-leds-using-the-iot-gateway-on-raspberry-pi/
    Once the best high-speed interface is figured out, I would love to see a P2 hat!
    If done right, the P2 wouldn't need flash or microSD because it would boot off the Pi, saving pins.
    The Pi could do cpu emulated systems like the EMU68 on the PiStorm where the P2 emulates the hardware with the real-time, low latency/gitter of the cogs.
    The Pi could serve vast amounts of RAM to the P2 when needed
    The Pi could output good quality & cheap full 1080p HDMI
    The P2 could run a VGA interface or very many other peripheral ports for the Pi

• pik33pik33 Posts: 2,344

the best high-speed interface

SMI

• What might be smi?

• @"Christof Eb." said:
    What might be smi?

Yes, I was wandering the same.
    Guessing is fun but why guess - @pik33 , would you care to elaborate a bit or at least decode the short, please ?

• larryvclarryvc Posts: 42
    edited 2023-02-22 22:26

SMI - Raspberry Pi Secondary Memory Interface. https://iosoft.blog/2020/07/16/raspberry-pi-smi/

• @larryvc , nice, thank you.
    Looks very usable, it's just I'm not that familiar with the Raspberry PI nuances.

• Announcement

First post updated and cleaned up a bit. We'll try to keep the "Upcoming" event link fresh as some people mentioned this was a simple place to find the link each month.

Please keep posting any ideas for topics here!
    What do you want to see, ask, or what would you like to present ?

• At the last live forum I think Michael showed a preview of the new OBEX. ( :) thumbs up, BTW) Can somebody please provide a link where it can be found?
    The official Parallax website still points to the GITHUB.

• I believe Michael's OBEX is "not ready for Prime Time".
    He did say that he was hosting it locally and was looking for an appropriate server to host it.

Good things coming!

• VonSzarvasVonSzarvas Posts: 3,262
    edited 2023-07-21 18:56

Yes, that's right. It's on a private server at the moment.

The rough target is to have it online for the next P2LF.

Before then I'll share a public preview in the forums, for anyone to comment / help with the layout and function tweaks. Then once we near P2LF I'll scrub the database, re-sync to the latest GitHub at that moment, and then move the obex.parallax.com URL so it points to the new site. So anyone can play with the preview without fear of changes being permanent :) Something like that!

Thanks for the support and kind words ! Together I hope we will make a great hub for all things Parallax !

• Are we having a live forum this week?

• @ke4pjw said:
    Are we having a live forum this week?

Yes, this is the event page: https://parallax.com/propeller-live-forum-brushless-motor-control-with-stephen-and-ken-august-16th-2023/]

You can find these going to parallax.com>Community>Events then selecting the "Propeller 1 & 2 events" tab.

This is the last we have listed, but we're about to add more (one per month).

• @"Aristides Alvarez" said:

@ke4pjw said:
    Are we having a live forum this week?

Yes, this is the event page: https://parallax.com/propeller-live-forum-brushless-motor-control-with-stephen-and-ken-august-16th-2023/]

You can find these going to parallax.com>Community>Events then selecting the "Propeller 1 & 2 events" tab.

This is the last we have listed, but we're about to add more (one per month).

You can also refer to post 1 of this thread, which is kept up-to-date with the upcoming P2LF event details.

• Can I get a 5-10 minute slot on the agenda to share/discuss some Universal Motor Driver projects I've been actively working on over the past month?
    I'm the human Shannon Mackey.

• @ngeneer said:
    Can I get a 5-10 minute slot on the agenda to share/discuss some Universal Motor Driver projects I've been actively working on over the past month?
    I'm the human Shannon Mackey.

Absolutely. I have you on the agenda and look forward. We are having some trouble with our motor driver project BTW, and are looking for some community help.

See you tomorrow! -Ken

• I have just uploaded registration links for the January to May 2024 Propeller Live Forum events!

https://www.parallax.com/category/events/

Send me your topics and input kgracey@parallax.com and I'll get you on the schedule!

Ken Gracey

Did the Feb 14 Live Forum happen? Is the video going to be posted?