Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New Robot: Parallaxy - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

New Robot: Parallaxy

Comments

• ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Welcome Jill! Very exciting stuff, happy to have you aboard.
  • Jill,
    Here's my feedback about the instructions:
    1. I was able to do the calibration step, but running the display configuration block never showed anything. I just moved along in the instructions and everything ended up working after some help from the Discord (on steps 4 & 5 below).
    2. When you get to the part about setting up the pi, and you have the image on the sd card, and you've booted that. You have to log in, but no where says what username and password to use. I had to search to find what it was for raspbian lite (that I got from the link in the instructions).
    3. By default the raspbian lite sets up the keyboard with a GB setup, so shift 2 is a " instead of an @, I had to google search how to change this (editing some config file and changing a gb to us in order to get my keyboard working.
    4. Later when the instructions describe editing the start_robot file, it's very unclear about the parameters you need to place in there and where. It should explain that those parameters go in the file after your robot ID.
    5. In order to get the webcam mic working with the included C920, you need to add extra parameters to the line after your camera ID.
    These are the two lines as they exist now on my bot, and everything is working:
    nohup scripts/repeat_start python controller.py ROBOTID --type serial --serial-device '/dev/tty/USB0' --tts-volume 50 $
    nohup scripts/repeat_start python send_video.py CAMERAID 0 --mic-channels 2 --audio-device-number 0 &> /dev/null &

• Roy ElthamRoy Eltham Posts: 2,996
    edited 2018-09-09 10:15
    Where can I find the source for the firmware for the Activity board? I want to add some things for controlling addons.
    Never mind, I found it by looking at the source for the firmware block in BlocklyProp.
  • I should save this for Halloween but here's the guts of the Parallaxy on letsrobot.tv.

https://letsrobot.tv/robocaster/xvv/robot/6628569
  • xanadu wrote: »
    I should save this for Halloween but here's the guts of the Parallaxy on letsrobot.tv.

Pretty Cool!
  • This is my Parallaxy all built and working:
    https://letsrobot.tv/robocaster/sybergoosejr/robot/85642046

I'll try and have it up often, but no guarantee.
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    xanadu wrote: »
    I should save this for Halloween but here's the guts of the Parallaxy on letsrobot.tv.

Great job, all the servos are working like they should be :)
    Nice Jon! I just tried yours. Got flamethrower?
  • Thanks everyone. I turned it off to finish building the 'chassis'.

No flamethrowers. To be honest, the microphone on the webcam scares me more than any attachment.

• The thing to worry about is it's talking. Gotta keep it away from your Google Home or Alexa devices.
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    Roy Eltham wrote: »
    The thing to worry about is it's talking. Gotta keep it away from your Google Home or Alexa devices.

There is someone with a Google Assistant on the floor to interact with. I had it beat boxing before he shut it all down for the night; it's a pretty cool new aspect because it responds to voice commands if the robot is close enough. I will note, it doesn't from across the room though. :cool:
  • Crushy is back, and better than before -

xanadu wrote: »
    Crushy is back, and better than before -

Unauthorized. This robot is set to private.
  • The usual. I bit off more than I could chew, everything was going great, then lack of experience and knowledge kicked in.

I had a lot of fun Monday, the robot was alive all day. Overall it was a great experience interacting with other people, and the internet made me orange juice (attached). I didn't experience any trolling this time around.
    800 x 448 - 18K
    960 x 720 - 46K
    All better! Crushy looks awesome!
  • We crushed some gross stuff today.... my stomach is still a bit unsettled.
    We crushed some gross stuff today.... my stomach is still a bit unsettled.

I can't believe we crushed the whole thing. :)

• Yes, gross. Someone made a GIF of the eggs, tomato, acetone mix - https://media.giphy.com/media/2ALKobRd4oCFK4QKvr/giphy.gif

Roy and Jill, thanks for helping out. This doesn't have much to do with telepresence so I will start a separate thread on it as things progress.

Loading the firmware with Blockly was easy. Will there be a way to modify the code using Blockly as well?

• Roy Eltham wrote: »
    Jill,
    Here's my feedback about the instructions:
    1. I was able to do the calibration step, but running the display configuration block never showed anything. I just moved along in the instructions and everything ended up working after some help from the Discord (on steps 4 & 5 below).
    2. When you get to the part about setting up the pi, and you have the image on the sd card, and you've booted that. You have to log in, but no where says what username and password to use. I had to search to find what it was for raspbian lite (that I got from the link in the instructions).
    3. By default the raspbian lite sets up the keyboard with a GB setup, so shift 2 is a " instead of an @, I had to google search how to change this (editing some config file and changing a gb to us in order to get my keyboard working.
    4. Later when the instructions describe editing the start_robot file, it's very unclear about the parameters you need to place in there and where. It should explain that those parameters go in the file after your robot ID.
    5. In order to get the webcam mic working with the included C920, you need to add extra parameters to the line after your camera ID.
    These are the two lines as they exist now on my bot, and everything is working:
    nohup scripts/repeat_start python controller.py ROBOTID --type serial --serial-device '/dev/tty/USB0' --tts-volume 50 $
    nohup scripts/repeat_start python send_video.py CAMERAID 0 --mic-channels 2 --audio-device-number 0 &> /dev/null &

Remove '--audio-device-number 0' and then the mic on the webcam should work.
  • I had to add that to make it work.
    The issue with my bot right now is that it loses connection randomly (I am having ISP issues, plus wifi is not super great downstairs). When it does it randomly loses video and/or audio.
    It eventually reconnects things, but sometimes the audio stays off and sometimes the video stays off.

This is all without me doing anything (I am at work atm). It's just doing it's thing.
  • Okay, I thought it stopped working after that post. The video looks great for wireless!
  • I've upgraded my Parallaxy (FreakBot on letsrobot.tv) with LEDs and a servo to have the camera look up and down.

I also now have an ARLO up on there, called FreakArlo.

I probably won't have the Arlo on as much as the Parallaxy, because it's big and dangerous to my cat and furniture. :)
  • Is there any available wiring between Activity Board WX and Raspberry Pi ?
    The only wiring information I found was here: at Parallaxy Connections: but there isn't any wiring between the two boards...
    edited 2018-11-29 21:05
    They are connected via USB. The Pi talks to the Activity board via serial over USB (same as a PC talking to the Activity board).
  • NikosGNikosG Posts: 705
    edited 2018-11-29 22:38
    They are connected via USB. The Pi talks to the Activity board via serial over USB (same as a PC talking to the Activity board).

Thank you Roy,
    Sorry for my silly question... I've just realized that I must use the Raspberry Pi as the "Computer" and connect it with the Activity board as I usually do...

Till now I tried to control motors using a Raspberry Pi Hat... so I was confused as my wiring was totally frustrating in order to avoid to put the Pi out from the acrylic enclosure...
    Everything out of Parallax always tends to confuse me....
    1460 x 1095 - 455K
  • NikosGNikosG Posts: 705
    edited 2018-12-01 21:39
    So here is my new wiring.
    It is much better and tidy....
    LetsrobotTV_Stingray_robot.jpg
    Detailed wiring is here:

For the motor driver, I use an L289N connected to the Activity board with 6 cables (I use pins P2,P3,P4,P5,P14,P15).
    Raspberry_Activity_L289N.jpg
    I can successfully control** the direction and the speed of the two DC motors of my Stingray with the activity board but I can't do it through the raspberry pi and LetsrobotTV...
    However, I can successfully send live streaming from my raspberry pi camera...

Programming was extremely easy using Blockly Prop.
    Blocly_prop_Two_DC_motor_control.jpg

and the produced Propeller C code in order to use it on Letsrobot TV settings..

Propeller_c_Two_DC_motor_control.jpg

I'm confused about where must I add my propeller c code for the robot's control ....
    I appreciate any help...
    edited 2018-12-01 22:18
    Nikos,
    In BlocklyProp there is a block that is used to load the Parallaxy Firmware for use with letsrobot.tv. If you add that block to an empty project, then view the C source code, you can copy it out to make your changes.
    You'll want to edit that C code with your changes for controlling the L289N instead of the 360 servos. You can compile and load your modified version using SimpleIDE.

I notice that you don't have a microphone on your setup. You should also move the speaker over to the Pi instead of the Activity board. To get the full letsrobot.tv experience you'll want to have the Pi connected to a speaker and microphone.
  • Roy Eltham wrote: »
    Nikos,
    In BlocklyProp there is a block that is used to load the Parallaxy Firmware for use with letsrobot.tv. If you add that block to an empty project, then view the C source code, you can copy it out to make your changes.
    You'll want to edit that C code with your changes for controlling the L289N instead of the 360 servos. You can compile and load your modified version using SimpleIDE.

I notice that you don't have a microphone on your setup. You should also move the speaker over to the Pi instead of the Activity board. To get the full letsrobot.tv experience you'll want to have the Pi connected to a speaker and microphone.

Thank you Roy,
    I followed your instructions and I could control the robot's four basic movements through the net! Unfortunately, when I tried to power the Raspberry Pi from my robot's power source I mystically overpowered it with 12V and I burned it. Until I found a new Raspberry Pi I started the creation of a second telepresence robot with the Arlo's wheel kit!
  • I had a close call with 12V and my only Pi. I ended up powering it on a separate battery with USB 2.1A output.

The Prop mini was perfect for this. Idk if I posted this video here, I thought I did but can't find it. I had fun interacting with the truck locally. The remote side is great if you're remote. After an hour of interacting with it via TTS, no computers, open field, I forgot about internet. The truck had brains. The Pi USB microphone did surprisingly well in the wind.

• What is being used to make this work? Particularly in the web server end of things?