Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New Robot: Parallaxy — Parallax Forums

New Robot: Parallaxy

ercoerco Posts: 20,244
edited 2018-08-30 01:53 in Robotics
Certainly an uncommon name for this new telepresence robot from our favorite peeps in Rocklin. These days you gotta tune into Ken's Blockly Facebook page to get the latest news. Just announced and went on sale today, and it's already discounted $30! https://www.parallax.com/product/32800

parallaxy.png
1080 x 760 - 221K

Comments

• WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2018-08-30 03:38
    Saw that erco - Software has been poping up in some the BlocklyProp resources too.

Be sure to visit LetsRobot.tv to see the brave new world we are entering... Set up and account - control an LED remotely or drive a robot around someone's home or lab. Very strange...

The ability to control a robot privately via web is pretty cool though.
  • Wow! That's cool!
  • JDJD Posts: 570
    I just visited LetsRobot.tv for the first time this evening. What a fun site that can kill plenty of hours with playing around and chatting. There could be all kinds of applications to keep people entertained; perhaps make a track with a couple cars and let people race them. The controls are quite responsive even with my connection. :thumb:
  • Keith YoungKeith Young Posts: 569
    edited 2018-08-30 05:20
    So how will this work at home? Do we have to make a server and go to it's IP address, and then have the interface to control the robot?

Is there a way this can be done in the classroom? Seems a little difficult to keep this safe for students.

Edit - Looks like you have to use their site to do this, but I could be wrong.
  • xanaduxanadu Posts: 3,347
    edited 2018-08-30 05:27
    Impressive! Hello World used to be over serial lol.
  • Ever wake up in the morning, sit at your computer, refresh a page, and hope that there were 10 more replies to a forum thread? :(

This is a very - VERY - exciting product. It looks amazing for students. But the nagging issue will be be student safety here. I really hope this will be something that I can take to a school's IT department and convince the guys that this can successfully navigate all the red tape.
  • Ever wake up in the morning, sit at your computer, refresh a page, and hope that there were 10 more replies to a forum thread? :(

This is a very - VERY - exciting product. It looks amazing for students. But the nagging issue will be be student safety here. I really hope this will be something that I can take to a school's IT department and convince the guys that this can successfully navigate all the red tape.

There are some community links worth checking out. Maybe other schools are using it. I would imagine that there will be abuse and internet trolls on there. No Coppa, probably not going to fly for under 13.
  • Is this using the Parallax ESP8266 board?
  • Is this using the Parallax ESP8266 board?

It includes a Raspberry Pi so I doubt it. I could be wrong, I don't read documentation ;)
    I went to letsrobot, but it doesn't look like all the instructions are up yet. The link on the product page, Parallaxy build and startup guides (offsite) shows Parallaxy Coming soon!. Guessing they will probably have the firmware for the Raspberry Pi on that page instead of Parallax directly.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Sale, 8% off!
    Fully four in stock yesterday, only three today.

25% sellout in 24 hours!

Hurry, only 3 remain, won't last! :)
  • JD wrote: »
    I went to letsrobot, but it doesn't look like all the instructions are up yet. The link on the product page, Parallaxy build and startup guides (offsite) shows Parallaxy Coming soon!. Guessing they will probably have the firmware for the Raspberry Pi on that page instead of Parallax directly.

There's some info here - https://github.com/runmyrobot/runmyrobot/wiki/Installation---Setup-Guides
    xanadu wrote: »
    I don't read documentation ;)

Instructions are for suckers!

• 'Tis a nice lookin' bot, to be sure!

I think the laser cut plastic parts mounting over the BOE-Bot chassis is pure genius. It makes the structure stronger than plastic alone, and still a good bet for the classroom.

Their choice of Logitech camera is spot-on, too. Looks very sleek and mod'ren!
  • erco,
    There were 6 in stock when I ordered mine.

Looking forward to adding some things to it, but no flame throwers in my house! ;)
    JD wrote: »

Nice, I was poking around on the site and it looks like there is something on the Letsrobot site as well. Connecting Your Robot since that is the "hard part" when it comes to this project. :cool:
  • @JD

Thanks. I don't know how I missed that, unless they updated it overnight.
    edited 2018-09-01 21:57
    The Let's Robot image installed okay. Windows unzip fails, as does Etcher when working directly with the compressed file, I downloaded the image twice with the same results. WinRar was able to unzip it, and then Etcher is able to write it out to the SD just fine. It could just be a problem on my end.

I am looking forward to testing out the Parallaxy image when it becomes available.
    edited 2018-09-05 03:40
    No chat moderation, and a bunch of childlike trolls on letsrobot.tv.

Maybe they have some ideas for moderation but as of now only the operator can ban people, after the fact. It would be neat if two robots can share a private channel. Hopefully they're headed that direction.

I have high hopes for it, I wanted to do something similar years ago but never could find the time.
    It would be neat if two robots can share a private channel.

I was thinking the same thing, maybe having them do a race with 2 or more. :D

@"Ken Gracey" When will kits become available to mod existing robots?

Speaking of which, Parallax has released a record variety of robots lately, all BoeBot variants. From Activity Bot to Wx to 360... I guarantee it's confusing to newcomers (heck, I can barely keep up). That's the relentless march of progress, and more power to ya.

Is there a source or page listing all variants and their distinctions, and perhaps an upgrade path? The only one I know about is the AB360 upgrade kit: https://www.parallax.com/product/32603

As you have proclaimed, the BoeBot is the most popular robot in the world, with how many sold? There are likely some sitting on a dusty shelf (or box) that are great upgrade candidates, especially for schools on a budget looking for STEM projects. Telepresence is a well-known buzzword to draw people in, seems like Parallax is poised to cement its name in the educational world.

Ardy who?
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2018-09-03 19:40
    erco wrote: »
    @"Ken Gracey" When will kits become available to mod existing robots?

Good question. I have 3 Activity 360's and Pi's. I just need the Logitech stuff and the fancy skirts. I'm sure I can make a Veho work on the platform.
    I have spent lots of time on Jills Channel; there is a new Para robot now running around with a knife tonight. :D :skull:
    JD wrote: »
    there is a new Para robot now running around with a knife tonight. :D :skull:

The showman in me wants to up the ante with a chainsaw on wheels...

• I decided to build one using my Stingray's robot chassis and following the Parallaxy robot's guidelines.....

Robot page:
    https://letsrobot.tv/robocaster/gianakop/robot/59206902

I don't know the result, but if I succeed I'll transfer the electronics to my new UGV tracked platform and I'll give you the experience to roam outdoor in my farm....
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    Publison wrote: »
    I have 3 Activity 360's and Pi's. I just need the Logitech stuff and the fancy skirts. I'm sure I can make a Veho work on the platform.

Go get Publison!

• Hi all,

My name is Jill, the CEO of Let's Robot. I saw some referral traffic from this URL, so i figured i would come check it out.
    I'm glad to see some excitement around the Parallaxy Kit!

To answer a few things i saw mentioned:

The Parallaxy Guide has been updated quite a bit the last few days. We've been working with Parallax to make sure it's super solid. The raspberry pi install can be a little inconsistent sometimes, so we are working on some more updates to smooth that out. The doc will be updated when that is available.

As far as moderation goes, we do tend to moderate towards a PG type of experience. It's up to the individual robot owners to assign moderators to help keep the chat clean. We do have a few global mods, and it's ok to get their attention incase of issues. There is a big re-design coming of the site that should be ready by the end of the month. It will address some of the limitations we have with moderating the current site as well.

As far as private rooms, it's been discussed. We figure it's safer if everything is public, as i do have some concerns that such a feature could be abused in other ways. I'd like to make an exception for schools, but it will be a couple more months before we can get to that step.

Just keep in mind this is all pretty new, and it's really awesome of Parallax to work with us on developing a kit. I will always work towards making Let's Robot a fun and inclusive place, and we'll do our best to keep the trolls at bay. There will definitely be many features in the not to distant future to help curb negative behavior & protect users & robots.

If you guys get stuck on the Raspberry Pi software, there is a live chat in our discord server.
    https://discord.gg/qN8PqHq
    There is a channel called #robot-setup-help on the left hand menu, and we have a lot of helpful people there who can guide you through setup.
  • Jill, Let me be the first to you welcome to the forums. I am a moderator so I will assist in any way I can.

• Hi Jill,
    I'll be building my Parallaxy kit this weekend, glad to hear the docs are being updated. I had glanced at them a few days ago and there were a couple steps that seemed missing or assumed, hopefully those are cleared up now. I'll let you know if I run into anything when I'm going through it.

I also want to "convert" one of my Arlo bots over to this system (I have the various bits needed), so that should be interesting also. :smile:

Welcome to the forums!
  • Roy Eltham wrote: »
    Hi Jill,
    I'll be building my Parallaxy kit this weekend, glad to hear the docs are being updated. I had glanced at them a few days ago and there were a couple steps that seemed missing or assumed, hopefully those are cleared up now. I'll let you know if I run into anything when I'm going through it.

I also want to "convert" one of my Arlo bots over to this system (I have the various bits needed), so that should be interesting also. :smile:

Welcome to the forums!

That's awesome!
    Yea if you run into snags with the docs, let me know.
    You guys can actually suggest edits as well if you think something is missing.
    Would be lovely to see an Arlo on the platform!

Also thanks for the warm welcome @Publison