Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
P2D2 - An open hardware reference design for the P2 CPU - Page 37 — Parallax Forums

P2D2 - An open hardware reference design for the P2 CPU

Comments

• @ErNa said:
    There is a light...

WHOA! Crossed finger, then! Please ErNa keep me updated as soon as you have P2D2 in stock, thanks!

• Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2021-04-08 13:51

Yes, there is a light. I sometimes think I'm a bit like Rip Van Winkle, I put my head down to do a bit of this and a bit of that and before I know it everything has changed around me and the P2D2 thread has become a shaggy beard and ma dog's run off too, darnit.

Maybe the latest Parallax product I interfaced the P2D2 to has something to do with it.
    Now, what happened to those other 8 "pins"........

• MaciekMaciek Posts: 668
    edited 2021-04-09 18:32

Rip Van Winkle, I had to look that up but once I did I think you might be right, especially when dealing with that combo in the picture the other way around (with the contents first).

BTW, I wouldn't mind ordering a crate :)

• @ErNa said:
    There is a light...

Yes! Please! Aaaargh, the agony of waiting!

• @aaaaaaaargh said:

@ErNa said:
    There is a light...

Yes! Please! Aaaargh, the agony of waiting!

Aye, I better check in with @Publison to make sure my address is correct.

• ErNaErNa Posts: 1,738

@"Peter Jakacki" said:
    Yes, there is a light. I sometimes think I'm a bit like Rip Van Winkle, I put my head down to do a bit of this and a bit of that and before I know it everything has changed around me and the P2D2 thread has become a shaggy beard and ma dog's run off too, darnit.

Maybe the latest Parallax product I interfaced the P2D2 to has something to do with it.
    Now, what happened to those other 8 "pins"........

Peter, it's another month! Did you check for your PM's or emails or are you in a complete shutdown? Industry is booming in Germany!

• It has been 18 months since I purchased mine. I'm still hopeful but would like an update on what is holding up delivery.

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2021-05-09 12:53

One year, seven months, three days since I sent my paypal payment.

Still waiting for the P2D2.

• ErNaErNa Posts: 1,738

Any information about Peters status? I miss him!

• @ErNa said:
    Any information about Peters status? I miss him!

We all do!

• I have it on good authority that while indeed missing, Peter was not abducted by mercenary koalas.

It is known. :)

• Time to write this off, I guess.

• @JRoark said:
    I have it on good authority that while indeed missing, Peter was not abducted by mercenary koalas.

It is known. :)

True. He seems to have moved to the RP2040 and is quite active in the Forth User Group on Facebook.

• Pico is no Prop. Bigger audience I guess.

Craig

• hinvhinv Posts: 1,252

@Mickster said:
    Pico is no Prop. Bigger audience I guess.

Craig

True, but it has some things that people want which drives that Bigger audience. 1) single usb port for both power and programming, while Parallax insists on giving us 4 pins to plug in their $20 PropPlug which the pico includes for free. 2) price/performance that comes with economies of scale and subsidies.

• pik33pik33 Posts: 2,344
    edited 2023-04-28 12:41

@hinv said:

@Mickster said:

Craig

True, but it has some things that people want which drives that Bigger audience. 1) single usb port for both power and programming, while Parallax insists on giving us 4 pins to plug in their $20 PropPlug which the pico includes for free. 2) price/performance that comes with economies of scale and subsidies.

Pico is simply cheap. $5 for a board so you can have 14 pieces of Pico for a price of one Edge. Also, here in Poland I can order a Pico much easier than a P2.

The interesting things may be done when connecting a Pico to a P2, where the Pico can, for example, replace a PropPlug, while the P2 can generate audio and video signals and service the SD card.

• ElectrodudeElectrodude Posts: 1,614
    edited 2023-04-28 13:40

@hinv said:

@Mickster said:

Craig

@cgracey Shouldn't it only cost Parallax a mask ROM change to add native USB programming to the P2? The USB serial port device @SaucySoliton is working on could be used; it would then just look like a standard USB CDC ACM serial device, and PC software would have no idea anything was different from how it is now.

How much room is left in the ROM? If there's not enough, perhaps parts of it could be rewritten in (denser) bytecode to run under the TAQOZ engine.

• hinvhinv Posts: 1,252

Both of those are worthy solutions.
    I thought of using a pico for both power and usb->serial. Obviously I can't get full power out of the P2 if powered through the pico.

I think having a usb-serial and power on the Edge card is way more important than a microSD connector, especially since there are problems using both flash and microSD.
    In my mind, as a programming tool, I would rather have usb power and serial built in more than flash.
    The Edge also has a big enough price tag to cover this.

Does USB and serial over USB work in TAQOZ expanded?

• Does anybody have any of these P2D2 boards ??

I would like to try them out ...

• JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,910
    edited 2023-11-15 23:50

[deleted]

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,767
    edited 2023-11-16 00:38

P2D2 is an interesting data point, even if not mass produced. Looks like 4 layer board? I'm trying to look back to see what kind of max. cpu freq. it could do.
    I do see @Tubular mentioning a "speed hump" that I see too. If you can get past that, then just need any kind of cooling....

But, was a while ago so need some archival searching...

• jlsiliconjlsilicon Posts: 92
    edited 2023-11-16 01:49

I would be glad to pay for part of a batch.

I like the P2D2 Design - its small and simple.

I don't have the time to track down a good pcb manufacturer.
    (I haven't had boards printed in years).
    -- If somebody else could do this.

edited 2023-11-16 02:12

• @jlsilicon said:
    -- If somebody else could do this.

Unfortunately that's everyone's answer too. :wink:

edited 2023-11-16 13:41

I can order a batch too.
    Where is my support ?
    At least I am offering to help.

• Some gremlins that might need answering or checking along the way... (just thinking aloud- no idea if these are already answered in this thread)

1. Relatively old design, so it might be that some components are longer be available. (ie. check BOM, replace as required, update layout as required).
    2. USB Serial monitor (USB interface IC) had custom firmware - not sure if that was shared/released to public domain ( @jmg might know about that)
    3. There might have been manufacturing difficulties with the design, which could have been why (or partially why) it never materialised. Something to verify and understand in-case layout tweaks required.
    4. Are the latest BOM, Layout and schematic files available?

Overall it was a neat compact design, with very many hours of careful thought. Just needs a careful approach (I suspect) to bring it to life, and be prepared to tweak some things.

edited 2023-11-16 15:10

Thanks,
    I figured that.
    I am not intending to use all the features, just the basics.
    It beats using the breakout boards - that I mounted 1 of my chips on.
    I can compare to the working chip sugested base board schematics.

• Does USB and serial over USB work in TAQOZ expanded?

If the question is if USB to serial interface on the P2D2 board does work under TAQOZ then it's a YES. In fact, it does work regardless whether TAQOZ EXTENDED is present or not. It's just an external interface built in on the P2D2 board.
    As to the USB itself, I'm not aware of the USB implementation in the TAQOZ and i do not think if it is worth implementing at all. Too much work for too little gain but others may have different views as well.

• Well , I Ordered a batch of the Boards.

Sorry that nobody else is interested.